Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I have lost all my photography motivation over the last few weeks.

Picked up the Meyerowitz ‘how I make photographs’ book to hopefully give me some inspiration.

How do you guys get out of slumps?

This might seem out of place, but what's going on in your life right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I use LR Classic + Microsoft OneDrive. Basically my entire computer is in OneDrive.

Computer setup:

500GB SSD (C: drive for OS and Apps only)
1TB SSD (for Media Cache files for Adobe)
4TB SSD (for OneDrive/RAW Files/LR Catalog)

I set up OneDrive with 2TB of storage space (all I need ATM and can increase to 4TB as my drive expands) and then set the OneDrive folder location to the 4TB drive. All the typical windows folders like Documents/Downloads/Music/etc all get re-targeted to the equivalent OneDrive folder. This way I can use the normal Windows Library structure but everything is physically housed on the 4TB drive AND automatically synced to the OneDrive cloud.

Lightroom catalog gets set up on the 4TB drive AND all RAW files are stored here. That way all my RAW files are accessible from the cloud whether I be on my phone or at school on their Macs.

I can also set up another drive to back up my 4TB if I wish to have a third redundant drive.

This way my flow is as follows:

Insert SD card
Import to 4TB drive.
The files now physically exist on my 4TB local drive AND they are automatically uploaded to OneDrive.

For whatever reason I trust Microsoft's cloud storage more than Adobe.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Broaden your understanding of photography. It will help with what you're already good at.

Photography is more than photos

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

LiterallyATomato posted:

I live in a lovely suburb outside of Seattle. I'm always afraid of trying street because I'm afraid people will think I'm some kind of pervert (I'm trans, so bigots have that perception of me already,) or that someone will assault me or break my camera.

Industrial areas could work.

Do you know any examples of anyone who shoots suburbia hellscapes? I'm curious to see examples.

Sounds like you're a street photographer in your soul with some hurdles ahead on your journey.

Street in suburbia hellscape is possible.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I found this wiki entry interesting just now while reading about street photography.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_photography

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Bottom Liner posted:

The new bokeh lens blur engine in Lightroom is pretty interesting and effective. This is default strength with different blade patterns (original on left).

Yea, these new updates are wild.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Those are great 👍 😃 good job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

afen posted:

Bought a box of camera stuff for about $60 at an auction, apparently this is a somewhat special lens! Well, I guess I'm into photography now as well, as if I need another expensive hobby!

:eyepop: