Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

I'm a moron who has always been curious about photography but been scared off by cost. It occurs to me that Cyber Monday would probably be as good a time as any to reevaluate my choices and consider the cost of an entry-level amateur hobbyist photography setup (camera, a couple lenses, accessories, etc). Nonetheless, I've waited incredibly late in the ballgame to do any research here, and the huge amount of info I'm trying to digest is causing some analysis paralysis.

What can $600-1200 get me? Is that even enough to improve upon a good phone's camera? I'd like to get a camera that lets me get some baseline experience with the hobby and can hopefully provide a foundation if I want to dive deeper. I'm not interested in a point-and-shoot. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

I was fishing around for affordable full frame sensor options that left room in the budget for lenses and accessories, so I ended up spending $714 on a used Canon EOS RP Mirrorless Camera from KEH. Tell me why this was dumb, and recommend me a good baseline lens for my bad choice, thanks in advance.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Bottom Liner posted:

Rf 35mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.8. 35 is my favorite walk around/do it all but 50 is the standard for a reason

The price of the 50 is also crazy (I have a mint one I'll sell you for $100 + shipping). Just snapped this photo with it minutes ago

Sent you a PM.