Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i keep the bottom segments permanently extended a few inches so i just untwist the top segments in a circle, slam the tripod open, and tighten them in the same way, always extending to my desired height

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i spend some time in abandoned places, personally

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Megabound posted:

Tag yourselves in abandoned dump, I'm the astro turf stairs

that place is great, it had this downstairs parlor 3 steps down from the kitchen with thick luscious green shag carpet and a fake brick fireplace with a view of distant mountains and (now) windmills. it's on some private hunting reserve for assholes so it's not going to get torn down any time soon. that room absolutely reeked of piss.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

2nding getting a quote from a third party to scan it all, would be a huge loving nightmare to do yourself. just don't expect the highest quality and don't dump the originals. when they're all archived from someone else, use it as an index to selectively scan what's good.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i'm gonna replace the bellows on my 8x10 camera

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i haven't read the contest thread in ages so i would love to see some of the top picks. i find it hard to participate (not in the sense that i want to change how it works) because i don't have a good workflow to shoot and process something within one month

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

all i want to do in life is drive around endlessly taking photographs

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'd like to learn how to take better pictures (landscape), but classes, at least the stuff I see, NatGeo type things are like a million dollars it seems like. What are some alternatives? Are there clubs where people go on local trips to take pictures and compare notes on how to do so better?

those classes are a great way to extract money from people

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

imo it's also very important to print your work instead of just only looking at it on a monitor. you don't need to get fancy, even a 4x6 works

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

eric kim's a loving dipshit, no wonder people were confused

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

President Beep posted:

Cool. Thanks for the tips. I’ve tried buying the betterscanning holder thingy but the fuckers won’t write back to me to confirm my order via their jankety website. I have an ANR glass insert but the scans still seem soft. My next step will be to gradually shim up the loathsome epson holder to see if I can improve things. Putting the negative right on the platen didn’t help, so there’s nowhere to go but up.

Noted on the levels settings. I use Vuescan and I think I know which adjustment there you’re referring to.

In the end are you happy with the scan quality?

by chance does your holder have tabs on the bottom with arrows? i believe the stock holders have a 3-level height adjustment that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i really love shooting in the winter, especially in places that don't look normally "cold". the day itself is also so much shorter - light closer to the horizon all day - that everything is closer to golden hour. the only downside of course is your fingertips being so goddamn cold it's hard to turn a knob