Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Bought a box of camera stuff for about $60 at an auction, apparently this is a somewhat special lens! Well, I guess I'm into photography now as well, as if I need another expensive hobby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Thanks, guys! I've always been more into camcorders myself, so this will be a new experience. I've bought a roll of bog standard Fujifilm 400, just to see if the thing works.

I also got a couple of other lenses with the camera, but I'm struggling to mount the 135mm tele. The threads start alright, but they get very tight before the lens is tight against the body. There's a 135mm f:3.5 lens listed in the user manual for the Model 7, but maybe that's another type?

The other lens I have, a weird Ebata of some sorts, screws in just fine. Isn't M39 somewhat universal?

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Its possible the threads on the 135mm mount are just barely damaged.

I can't really see any damage either, but I guess it doesn't take much to mess up this type of thread.

Megabound posted:

The Ebata looks like an enlarging lens to me. It won't have a focus helical and won't work on a camera. Enlargers also use M39

That's interesting! So it's used for enlarging while developing film? The only thing that's adjustable is the aperture, which goes from 3.5 to 16.

afen fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 13, 2024

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Speaking of camcorders, this is more up my alley:

Canon XL2 with a Focus FS-5 FireWire recorder. I've since found a 3x lens for the camera, as the 20x one is almost unusable for indoor shooting.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Had another look at the 135mm lens and it does look like the threads are messed up.

Blasted through a roll of cheap Fujifilm 400 with the Canon just to see if it works at all, and nothing great came out of it. Probably didn't help that I went through the whole roll before I realized that the rangefinder is out of whack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

BonoMan posted:

Man these just tickle my brain in a good way even if you think they aren't great.

Yeah, they're the good photos from the roll. The rest of the photos is mostly out of focus or too bright/dark, but it's probably more operator error than anyting else.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I really like the picture of the person in the hat, regardless if it has a bit of missed focus.

That's me! I like it as well, and it would be fun to see what this lens can do with another camera. My friend who actually knows how to take pictures has a Sony a7ii, and there are adapters available online.