Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Depends what I'm doing there. If it's just a city visit then I'd take my mid range zoom jack of all lens. But if I'm gonna be going to a zoo or its the countryside then I often take the bulk of my zooms but I'll not bring my primes.

I love my primes but I'd rather lose sharpness than lose shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

So Getty is going after the AI companies for scrapping their pictures to train their systems
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64285227

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yeah just saw. Absolutely sucks. It was hands down the best for in depth reviews. I even enjoyed the YouTube channel if somewhat lighter in tone and details.

I might have to back the site up.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

For me instead of OneDrive it's a Synology NAS under my stairs.

I have an "editing folder" that's local on my pc to give me the least amount of lag. It contains a few hundred files at a time that need to be checked, pruned and good ones edited. It's still backed up though just in case.

When I'm done, the RAWS get migrated to storage on the NAS and removed from my pc completely, although I can easily access them from my pc (or anywhere really) if I want to re-edit them.

I dont trust any cloud provider to not just change their terms and conditions on me like Amazon did, so prefer to be in control of it all now.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 2, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I have a backblaze backup that's 3 times a week and an offline external backup that I do once a month.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 2, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

So DPReview has been saved....by Gearpatol?

https://m.dpreview.com/site-news/8298318614/dpreview-com-looks-forward-to-a-new-chapter-with-gear-patrol

Seem to be a generic tech review site.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I think it's amplified with photography.

If you can draw, people appreciate that as a skill in itself, even if they know nothing about drawing. Everyone can "taken pictures", it requires more knowledge to understand the effort and skill that went into any particular photograph.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Cassius Belli posted:

If macro interests you, for the record, you can get in really cheap, with all the optical quality of your existing kit, by getting a reverse-mount ring. It turns your box stock 50mm lens into a 1:1 macro (with an admitted price of extremely tight working distance). Fine focus is done with the ring (if your lens permits this); gross focus you provide by moving the camera.

Some of the newer electrical-aperture-control-only lenses do not like being mounted this way, or you have to do set-preview-unmount-reverse dances, but overall I think it's some of the most fun you can have in photography for literally :10bux:-:20bux:.

Seconding this. As you have a flash already a $5 diffuser like this will really improve your macro shots too.

All you need is a garden and you will have plenty to shoot. Or maybe get into miniature photography? Got any Legos or Warhammer kicking about in a box in the attic?

And when you are ready to upgrade to a specific lens then F mount has loads of great options under £300.

Ihmemies posted:

Apparently this would be a proper thread for this. I've been wasting time trying to figure out how to shoot photos of lenses. It is difficult.

Btw I've very much enjoyed reading your struggles. If you can be bothered to continue documenting your process change improvements, please do.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 4, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Need to narrow that question down a bit more.
You mean new? Then Canon R100 maybe?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

ishikabibble posted:

There was even someone posting in a thread here not too long ago, wondering why their DSLR was severely underexposing some images and not others.
And the answer was iirc, they had it set to center weighted metering without knowing, and had the bright blue sky in the center of their shots.

Well that would still happen with a mirrorless, they would just realise it was changing at the time instead of when they got home.
The meterring bar probably also was showing them the change at the time too, they just didn't notice.

But yeah, metering with a DSLR is harder but with enough practise becomes second nature but at point, if they are brand new to photography, I'd just point them to mirrorless. The various systems are old enough now that the first/second gen cameras are pretty good deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The colour in a different composition I think could be great. But as is the B&W is better.