Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Shooting people being people is classic street photography. But, man I do like taking photos of people taking photos, but generally they're just for me and I enjoy them for a second or two while processing, and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Keep everything. Drive space is cheap and will only get cheaper. If you get desperate, a run thru files in a year will be easy for you to dump photos.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Cannot get manage the banding. Just a hard photo to take I think.

Sunrise2 by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

jarlywarly posted:

Not really seeing any banding here..

Right at the transitions in the brightest part of the son.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

I've seen people mitigate that with a radial filter over the sun to smooth out the transitions a bit. There was a youtube video I saw that talked about it a bit but hell if I can find it now. But it involved tweaking texture/clarity/dehaze downwards a bit to blur the edges for a smoother gradient.

Can probably do it in photoshop too with a radial gradient. The idea there is to add your own color information to the area and fade it in to mask the banding.

I think that's gotta be it. I'll look for a tutorial.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dabir posted:

Apparently I've inherited a digital camera. It's a Panasonic Lumix, DMC-FZ28 if that means anything to anyone. Its former owner used it to take photos of planes at air shows. Anyone know anything about this thing that I should be aware of?

Looks like a bridge camera from 2008 or so. 10 megapixels, going to look fine in good, bright light. Don't expect too much, probably not better than a good camera phone these days.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

seravid posted:

I'm thinking about framing some prints, to give as gifts... and also maybe keep a couple to hang on the wall. Any basic tips? For context, 5 minutes ago I didn't know "matting" was a thing. My first instinct was to go simple: go to the store, buy some properly sized (no borders, then) black/white frames, place the photo inside and be done with it, but it seems like there might be a lot more to it than that!

Go to some of the online print companies (mpix, for one) and look at their options. You may not buy thru them, but you'll see what the framing options look like, as well as the print styles that need no frame.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My personal bag on the plane is a camera bag, and my kit stays with me pretty much always. 16-55, 70-300, 90. If I had to pair it down, I'd carry just the 16-55.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I had one. My first digital camera. To get full resolution, it shot two frames (there were two types of shots, field and frame). It was great at macro shots, poo poo at everything else. And I loved it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Toalpaz posted:

lmfao, this battery grip added like a 1 lb and lasted only 200~ shots. It's just 6 AA's in serial.

The 6 aa use it not ideal. It's really built for the two canon lithiums. Having the AA option is nice in the field, but not it's real use.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok, there's a decent deal on the Topaz software for Black Friday. I don't generally think their sharpen is magic on recovering out of focus images, but I wondered if the suite was worth it in general.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Philthy posted:

It all works really well, but i've mostly stopped using it. I enjoy the noise on photos now, and if something is too blurry, I just nuke it anyway. The image enlarger is voodoo cool, but it's for stuff like old family photos which is like once a year. I mostly just apply a custom color profile and I'm done.

Thanks. I think I'm gonna pass. I see it as something I'd end up almost never using.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm in the in-between right now. Cold, but not real winter shooting conditions. So, no motivation, it hurts to get out, but haven't got the best elements to make it worth it yet. Soon. Soon.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Toalpaz posted:

I'm never going to be like, good at photography in a meaningful sense. And it's not like I do it for the fame and external validation, but I think this is literally the least rewarding hobby socially I've ever had.

The act itself is satisfying. Just that no one I know, enjoys photos - and it's probably a mistake to try and force my interest on them and show them mine. It just makes me feel like I'm in my own world on the moon spending hours reviewing photos and editing them and taking them.

Weird e/n posting but yeah.

That's what your weird online friends at SA are for.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Hello fellow dorks,

Just hoping to get some thoughts from you. After many years of photography (mostly birds but also a lot of other things), I find myself in a place where I can reasonably make a handful of ”serious” photo trips a year (kids are old enough, wife doesn’t mind it, and I can afford it). So now I’m faced with trying to decide just _what_ to do. I loving love my birds so it seems like it would be a slam dunk to make some week long bird trips (there are for instance a couple of companies doing trips to Varanger in the far north of Norway and the birdlife there is fantastic), but part of me also wants to develop in other areas. I’ve always mostly sucked at landscapes (struggling with finding good compositions and especially using really wide angles) so maybe it’d make more sense to try to put some effort into that?

I booked a three day workshop with a landscape photographer in November, and it’s in a national park a couple of hours away. So that’s at least a start. But for a ”big” trip next year I don’t know if I should go shoot landscapes in Iceland, birds up north, maybe big cats in Africa (but that feels so ”overdone” yet something that’s sort of a bucket list thing).

So, yeah, I don’t know. Try to hone what I’m already pretty decent at or attempt to broaden my skills? I really would love to be able to shoot good landscapes but maybe that’s just not for me?

Aware that I am in a position that many are not and I am thankful for it so I feel like a bit of an rear end griping about which awesome option to go for.

Gear wise I am all set for just about anything. Maybe would need a few more filters for landscapes.

(Edit: and maybe a Sprocket Rocket, I have a soft spot for weird lovely cameras)

Do what brings you joy. Follow the birds, but it's a good idea to tickle the landscape skills anyway to take advantage of opportunity. With your skill and equipment on long lenses, you're gonna shoot those for landscapes, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I don't post my family on social media but my kid has a little following on my work's #random slack channel for her various adventures and sometimes I slip my other stuff in between her. Someone just asked if they could paint my photos because they were just starting to learn and wanted to use them as inspiration. At my level that felt surreal to inspire someone's art and they just sent me their first go. Rough but probably better than I'd paint if I tried!

That's not rough, that's excellent. A compliment to your photo.