Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

So, I got a batch feed scanner for what I think is 10-12 thousand photo prints from my parents, but my brother and I are looking to sell the house in the next month or two and that still leaves all the negatives and slides. Are there any dorkroom recommended scanners for slides and negatives? I have a couple of Ektagraphic III projectors and 15 carousels for them, but that's obviously nowhere near enough to handle thousands of slides, nevermind store them, plus I'd like to scan them.

Any suggestions are welcome and before you ask, yes, both of my parents were pretty much textbook hoarders and it's taken us a few years to clear out the house and sort out the very rarely found treasure from the junk (not exaggerating, there were a few things I almost threw out without looking at them that I would have slapped myself in the head if I did.)

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

So, I got a batch feed scanner for what I think is 10-12 thousand photo prints from my parents, but my brother and I are looking to sell the house in the next month or two and that still leaves all the negatives and slides. Are there any dorkroom recommended scanners for slides and negatives? I have a couple of Ektagraphic III projectors and 15 carousels for them, but that's obviously nowhere near enough to handle thousands of slides, nevermind store them, plus I'd like to scan them.

Any suggestions are welcome and before you ask, yes, both of my parents were pretty much textbook hoarders and it's taken us a few years to clear out the house and sort out the very rarely found treasure from the junk (not exaggerating, there were a few things I almost threw out without looking at them that I would have slapped myself in the head if I did.)
Just for laughs, I want to give an update about the fact that we grossly underestimated how may photos we had to scan and I think the count is well north of 50,000. My brother did almost all of them with an automatic scanner and among my other projects, I'm going to design and build an auto loader for a slide scanner because I don't want to lose anything but to a much greater extent I do not want to sit there manually feeding 10,000- 20,000 slides into a scanner that does one at a time. I should probably include USB emulation so I don't end up running a deathmatch between a servo and a keyboard button.