Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Those photos are all amazing.

Looking at all the film gear above I am both jealous and glad that I rock just one small, cheap body and one lens all the time. A Fuji XT1 and a 23mm f2 are all I carry 99% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

seravid posted:

That's my take on it. It's a fun exercise, even if I end up having nothing to show for it.

Same. It's a prompt I have in the back of my mind when I go out to shoot and I take it as an opportunity to try to see something new or shoot a scene I might otherwise walk by. I use it to augment my normal sense of what I should shoot.

If it weren't for the motion blur theme I never would have tried ICM photography and I really loved it and now it's something I have in my arsenal should I see a scene in the future where I want to deploy it.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Did I take up photography just to legitimise my innate flâneur. Quite possibly.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
I feel like all of a sudden everyone is saying "make a photo" instead of "take a photo" (looking at you youtube photographers). Is this a US/UK thing or a deliberate framing of photography as more positive and active rather than 'taking' something that already exists.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Yes didn’t mean to infer it hadn’t been used for decades already. Just seems particularly prevalent on YouTube all of a sudden.

It’s interesting because it sounds so odd to me and yet I don’t disagree with the premise at all. You wouldn’t ‘take’ a cake even though you didn’t yourself create any of the ingredients.

In many ways take speaks more to the attitude of ‘anyone could have taken that photo, that photographer just happened to be there’ which disregards such critical elements of knowing when to take make a shot as well as composition and post-processing / cropping etc

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 18, 2021

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
I think maybe I'm poisoned against it because I think the first time I encountered it was when I was getting in to photography and I watched an Eric Kim video where he's doing street portraits and asking people "can I make a portrait of you". And everyone looks super confused.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
I have lost all my photography motivation over the last few weeks.

Picked up the Meyerowitz ‘how I make photographs’ book to hopefully give me some inspiration.

How do you guys get out of slumps?

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 28, 2021

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
I would definitely spring for museum glass (or that’s what’s it’s called here). The non reflective glass. I just got normal glass on some framed work and every time I see the room lights reflected on the photo I realise my terrible mistake.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Got up the motivation to go out and take photos for the first time in months. Get to location. Turn camera on. Look in viewfinder. INSERT MEMORY CARD :negative:

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Supposedly reputable establishment Lens Culture just published their 2021 street photo winners: https://www.lensculture.com/2021-lensculture-street-photography-award-winners

Don't know if I am just generally despondent about the state of street photography at the moment but I found it hard to get excited about any of the winners. The first pic of the winning series with the bored lady and the fireworks is good but the rest of the series is a bit blah.

Third place in the single shots seems ludicrously under exposed to me but there you go.

First place in the single photos is nice but it's a goddamn Fred Herzog photo. Is this where street photography is right now? Still the same aesthetic and ideas as 1950?!

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Just hopping in with breaking news that Eric Kim has confirmed on his blog that he does indeed wear Vibram five finger shoes. Also the 'best walking clothes' for photographers includes his Eric kim wrist strap Mark two. Don't go walking without one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Welcome. First order of the day is to learn the exposure triangle (shutter speed, aperture, ISO) and how to change those different values to get the shot you want (and how a change in one usually necessitates a change in the others to get the exposure you want).

Can’t speak about steaming or video but for photography that’s a good place to start.

Then once you’ve mastered these fairly simple elements you’ll realise that oh poo poo it’s all about light and composition and welp better strap myself for decades of learning, failing and slowly improving. Enjoy!