Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Then you gotta figure out how to light and shoot the softboxes....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Hello fellow dorks,

Just hoping to get some thoughts from you. After many years of photography (mostly birds but also a lot of other things), I find myself in a place where I can reasonably make a handful of ”serious” photo trips a year (kids are old enough, wife doesn’t mind it, and I can afford it). So now I’m faced with trying to decide just _what_ to do. I loving love my birds so it seems like it would be a slam dunk to make some week long bird trips (there are for instance a couple of companies doing trips to Varanger in the far north of Norway and the birdlife there is fantastic), but part of me also wants to develop in other areas. I’ve always mostly sucked at landscapes (struggling with finding good compositions and especially using really wide angles) so maybe it’d make more sense to try to put some effort into that?

I booked a three day workshop with a landscape photographer in November, and it’s in a national park a couple of hours away. So that’s at least a start. But for a ”big” trip next year I don’t know if I should go shoot landscapes in Iceland, birds up north, maybe big cats in Africa (but that feels so ”overdone” yet something that’s sort of a bucket list thing).

So, yeah, I don’t know. Try to hone what I’m already pretty decent at or attempt to broaden my skills? I really would love to be able to shoot good landscapes but maybe that’s just not for me?

Aware that I am in a position that many are not and I am thankful for it so I feel like a bit of an rear end griping about which awesome option to go for.

Gear wise I am all set for just about anything. Maybe would need a few more filters for landscapes.

(Edit: and maybe a Sprocket Rocket, I have a soft spot for weird lovely cameras)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 3, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

ComXim has several that might work for you. The standard basic one can be stepped in .5 degree increments with the remote although it would be a lot of clicking if you are doing a 360. There is also one with a USB interface that can be controlled from a computer and I imagine there are more options there. Saw someone on Reddit wrote a piece of software to drive both this and a camera to automate the process.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...9.4000014446488

https://reddit.com/r/photogrammetry/s/BDqWuSJWS5

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 6, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

huhu posted:

Peak Design camera strap

Agreed, it's a great product. You can even get anchor links that let you convert an old school strap to use their anchoring system.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

afen posted:

Thanks, guys! I've always been more into camcorders myself, so this will be a new experience. I've bought a roll of bog standard Fujifilm 400, just to see if the thing works.

I also got a couple of other lenses with the camera, but I'm struggling to mount the 135mm tele. The threads start alright, but they get very tight before the lens is tight against the body. There's a 135mm f:3.5 lens listed in the user manual for the Model 7, but maybe that's another type?

The other lens I have, a weird Ebata of some sorts, screws in just fine. Isn't M39 somewhat universal?

M39 is unfortunately not universal. Leica/Leitz used a 1/26” thread pitch while many others used a 1mm one. To make matters worse early Canon M39 lenses used a 1/24” thread. So it’s not impossible that the 135mm in your possession simply won’t work on a Model 7 that uses the Leica standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

This is even better than when that wedding photographer won a bunch of awards at a competition put on by his own company

Wait what?