Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The new bokeh lens blur engine in Lightroom is pretty interesting and effective. This is default strength with different blade patterns (original on left).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://home.camerabits.com/2023/11/12/changes-coming-to-photo-mechanic/

Photo Mechanic going subscription like everything else in this cursed hellscape

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

$1200 can definitely get you a full frame canon (5D or 6D line) and a 35/50mm lens. That would carry you a long time and was a pro capable setup a few years back.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, for $1200 you might be able to grab a user Canon R body and a 50 1.8. Can't go wrong with that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BetterLekNextTime posted:

There have been some insane refurb deals at Canon this round. R6 was like $1100 I think, and I’m sure the r7/8/10 were less.

If those are official Canon refurbs I can't recommend them highly enough. Full warranty, like new gear for great prices.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wow, R5 at $2200 is the craziest value I’ve ever seen for pro gear.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They mean the screen and viewfinder picture will match the final shot for those settings (if those options are enabled), not that the numbers will be displayed (dslrs did that too). If your picture is under or overexposed the LCD can show that real time before you click. It’s handy to see if your depth of field is too shallow too, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yep. I shoot events and weddings more on the R6 with cRaw but that's just pure disk space savings and editing performance minded. But for anything where I want max quality the R5 is perfect. They're a perfect pair of bodies and I can't imagine what the next 10 years of camera tech will be (to say nothing of the crazy lenses we're getting from the RF mount).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rf 35mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.8. 35 is my favorite walk around/do it all but 50 is the standard for a reason

The price of the 50 is also crazy (I have a mint one I'll sell you for $100 + shipping). Just snapped this photo with it minutes ago

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

grilledcheese posted:

Is there a resource for finding good photography books? I just checked out the Americans from my local library and would love to check out more but not sure what to look for. How does one find professional photographers, in general?

https://www.youtube.com/@photobookguy1380/videos

This is a great channel that highlights a ton of photobooks across all kinds of genres. I've started making a list of ones I'd like to have in print (and getting frustrated to see many of them are OOP).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Related: the trend the last few years for wedding photographers marketing is to highlight all the high end fashion magazines their wedding work has been featured in. What they don’t say is all of them have a paid feature program so you are just buying your way into like Vogue Weddings or whatever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I just did some family portraits for a friend that is a hobbyist shooter and he was curious about how much editing I did. He didn't believe me when I told him it's only minor adjustments of the basics until I showed him. Now he's mad that he bought some expensive presets that made his photos look like poo poo lol. Good light and good glass does 90% of the work for me these days.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ah yes that guy. Barely one step better than Jason Lanier in talent and creep factor.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://petapixel.com/2024/05/09/nikon-bought-red-for-just-85m/

Pretty interesting update on the Nikon Red acquisition. They paid only 85m for the whole company.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Likely a lot of debt and low revenue. Nikon probably bought them for their patents more than their business.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

If you're in north america and within spitting distance of (or further north than) the 45th parallel, considering getting somewhere dark and staying up all night. There's a big honkin solar storm hitting the planet and aurora are possibly visible as far south as Denver.

Obviously this assumes clear skies.

I’m in Tallahassee FL covering tornado aftermath and I was able to see it and get some shots here. In loving Florida.

also saw the largest meteorite I’ve ever seen right after I turned the camera off :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Same here. Location sharing + emergency satellite calls on newest iPhone helps alleviate that a lot for my family members when I’m out on photo or biking trips.