Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I had an Epson V600 and it could batch only batch scan in four 35mm slides at once or two strips six frames. If you were willing to spend the $$$ the V800 can batch scan in 12 slides or four strips of six frames but it's really expensive compared to the V600. I also had an Plustek 8000 which produced better results compared to the V600 but it's a manual feed, single frame scanner and really slow.

I thought scanning in film was the least fun, photography related process I had to do though. Dealing with dust, making sure the film was aligned correctly with the holders, then editing the scan was a PITA. If you're dealing with thousands of slides, I would suggest getting a quote and sending them somewhere to be professional done unless you enjoy the process.

mes fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone primarily storing and editing their Lightroom catalogue from an external drive? I'm just trying to figure out if there's weird caveats to doing it other than slower I/O comparted to an internal SSD.

I had to clean install Windows the other day on my primary machine and it made me realize that the only data that isn't primarily in the cloud for me are all my photos. I think I may go back to only having a single laptop in the future and the cost for additional SSD space is usually a killer.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

xzzy posted:

All my raw files are on a NAS and I have the catalog on my internal SSD. Lightroom stores previews in the same directory, so it's a good hyrbid approach. I have no issues with speed.. it's certainly not light speed (bottleneck is my gigabit network) but it's fast enough to get things done.

If you generate smart previews you can detach the original storage for a speed boost. There's some edits you can't do on smart previews but it's pretty flexible.

Nice, thanks for the good info. Editing stuff is a occasional thing for me nowadays so I can deal with not having all the files immediately available.