Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the mario zone in super mario land 2 is an effigy to mario, ruler of the land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

the mario zone in super mario land 2 is an effigy to mario, ruler of the land
It's a toy, actually.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

American McGay posted:

It's a toy, actually.

a toy for what manner of child?? it is too big for mario himself

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

a toy for what manner of child?? it is too big for mario himself
I guess you just memory holed the Micro Zone you went through to get to the Mario toy hmm?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

hm. this raises questions about the Toy Time Galaxy. is the room a group of discarded toys for a giant toddler who enjoys super mario brothers, or has bowser used the power stars to fashion a cruel parody of childhood to mock mario? what exactly is bowser's intended comment here?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

hm. this raises questions about the Toy Time Galaxy. is the room a group of discarded toys for a giant toddler who enjoys super mario brothers, or has bowser used the power stars to fashion a cruel parody of childhood to mock mario? what exactly is bowser's intended comment here?

He spares no expense in keeping Bowser Jr entertained, simply.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

American McGay posted:

I guess you just memory holed the Micro Zone you went through to get to the Mario toy hmm?

where does this leave the pumpkin zone. a pumpkin can not reasonably grow to such a size, not even a prized pumpkin

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

where does this leave the pumpkin zone. a pumpkin can not reasonably grow to such a size, not even a prized pumpkin
You keep answering your own question. In Super Mario Land 2, Mario is small.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

American McGay posted:

makes sense, mario would have to be small to be on a game boy screen, those things are tiny

e: vvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvv

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 16, 2021

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

e: gently caress

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

American McGay posted:

that's hosed up

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

American McGay posted:

small super mario? strange to think about but i guess it makes sense

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

small super mario? strange to think about but i guess it makes sense
mario

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

iyts smol :d:D:d:D:d:D:D

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

If he’s so small how does he traverse entire planets with a few footsteps in the galaxy series

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

If he’s so small how does he traverse entire planets with a few footsteps in the galaxy series
Mario Land Mario is canonically different than regular Mario. He's been shrunk down so that he may fit in your pocket as you take him along with your Gameboy.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

it has been canonically established that all the various characters are actually friends in real life and the games are all just staged for fun much like a movie or a play in a theater, OP. just watch the opening sequence to Super Mario Bros 3.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

in Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES you can see the cast chatting together in good fun before the lights come on as well. come on. they play tennis together for crying out loud. thread closed.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

thread opened. to spell it out for you, because it's likely you need it, it's a scaled down model that mario kicks down. im so angry that you actually had to ask this. thread closed again.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

American McGay posted:

Mario Land Mario is canonically different than regular Mario. He's been shrunk down so that he may fit in your pocket as you take him along with your Gameboy.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

American McGay posted:

conversely, wario is scaled up from his default pocket size for his appearances on home consoles

Reading Owl
Dec 22, 2006

reading is hard

FactsAreUseless posted:

Evidence: "Small" Mario and "Large" Mario affect this style of lift in the same way. Mario's size is constant.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bolverkur posted:

it has been canonically established that all the various characters are actually friends in real life and the games are all just staged for fun much like a movie or a play in a theater, OP. just watch the opening sequence to Super Mario Bros 3.

https://twitter.com/TheUltiMarioFan/status/1361922179357700096

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

furiously watching the budget balloon as mario blows the tenth take on rainbow ride's 100 coins by, once again, failing to climb to the top of the wall before the blue coin counter expires.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"okay, that's real purpose poison out there, people, so i want to see everyone wearing goggles."

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

the "L is real" plaque is just one of his directoral trademark easter eggs, and also proof that he directed Ocarina of Time

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
the entire mario sunshine production was a fiasco, especially once the value of the Pianta coin crashed and their economy tanked. I hear one of the Chuckster investors forced Luigi out of the editing bay with a knife and locked him out.

still good though, I hope luigi gets to release the director's cut someday

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

American McGay posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mario is smaller because Sarasaland is further away than the Mushroom Kingdom.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Actually its because he ate a mini mushroom. Now close this thread.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

:staredog:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

oh my God this lore implication is so cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0inPKlFKoos

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

:thunk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sarasland actually has physics like an old-timey cartoon and adjusts mario's size and color accordingly, like when he goes into a 2D conversion pipe in mario odyssey.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

super mario land 1 is great. at my old job they had a gba in the break room and i used to play sml on it, it's the perfect length and imo it controls really well in its own way. sml2 is also really good but gets slowed down in some levels and it just doesnt play as fast, sml1 is great for casual speedrunning

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I did exactly that a few years ago. It started off when one of my buddies streamed a casual playthrough of it and I made fun of him for how poorly he did, and then that turned into me showing him how to beat it with very few deaths. Then we both went back and forth a few times trying to one up each other and we both ended up with times in like the low 20s after only a couple days.

I remember thinking as a kid that the controls were super jank and scary but it's actually pretty forgiving if you just go fast and learn to trust it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

American McGay posted:

I did exactly that a few years ago. It started off when one of my buddies streamed a casual playthrough of it and I made fun of him for how poorly he did, and then that turned into me showing him how to beat it with very few deaths. Then we both went back and forth a few times trying to one up each other and we both ended up with times in like the low 20s after only a couple days.

I remember thinking as a kid that the controls were super jank and scary but it's actually pretty forgiving if you just go fast and learn to trust it.

yeah i like the precise controls, i do a little backwards tap on each jump to nail my landing. have you tried the snes fan remake? i was surprised at how accurate it was

my boss at that job took great pride in being able to beat that game and when i told him i could beat it he went like "oh yeah? what does the credits theme sound like then??" so we took turns beating it. at some other point he tried to get out of giving me a raise by essentially bribing me with a dreamcast

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i like the precise controls, i do a little backwards tap on each jump to nail my landing. have you tried the snes fan remake? i was surprised at how accurate it was

my boss at that job took great pride in being able to beat that game and when i told him i could beat it he went like "oh yeah? what does the credits theme sound like then??" so we took turns beating it. at some other point he tried to get out of giving me a raise by essentially bribing me with a dreamcast

so what games did you get for the dreamcast?

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Holy poo poo.