Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

My kids are absolutely OBSESSED with Deadstorm Pirates on the PS3 Move.

Are there any other really good Move shooters? Or even just Move games in general?

Also we have two move controllers but are there any games that actually allow 4 move controllers at once?

Not for kids but I really loved Heavy Rains move integration at the time.

Sports Champions 1 and 2 was really good if you don't have that, people just poo poo on it cuz it didn't have a Nintendo art style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok Lost Planet 2 is a really bad game that somehow in... 2010 sweet jesus really??? has no idea how the hell co-op should work on like a basic fundamental level.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the only good Lost Planet game was the Extreme Conditions multiplayer demo they had on Xbox Live in the early 360 days. I played that poo poo a lot but when I got the chance to play the full game it was just excruciatingly boring

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think I even got past the first level in Lost Planet

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lost Planet 1 is a cover-less 3rd person shooter with slow movement aka a complete mess in the 360 era but it had a neat setting and a central mechanic that at least theoretically encouraged you forward. It got slammed for samey environments and not really ever changing from moment one to the end. The ending features a gameplay contrivance that I will never forget because it was just so loving stupid.

The sequel everybody is like "oh its like monster hunter" when they want to be a goddamn liar. It is just awful. Its a co-op game where you can't co-op missions you've not done and you can't drop in/drop out. If someone has started a mission despite them dragging 3 AI buddies around you have to wait for them to fully finish the mission to actually get to play. Even better missions are always split up into sub missions with results and loading screens between, but even if you are in a lobby you can't join then. Only when the whole mission is over. So, unsurprisingly, most people just play alone.

What makes this entire thing just extra bafflingly stupid is how progression works. Beating enemies gives loot boxes. In the entire playthrough of the game these loot boxes have generated non-money for me once. You then take this money and basically spin a wheel and get an item from all possible prizes. This means progression has absolutely nothing to do with what mission you selected, only the amount of prize boxes you collect. The best ratio of time spent to prize boxes is the end of the first chapter so once you've finished the game there is 0 incentive to replay anything else so you can fill up those games if you wait but basically nothing else.

Oh and when I saw loot drops are random; enjoy fishing for desparately needed weapon upgrades in the same pool as your perks and emotes and online name titles.

None of this by the way touches on Lost Planet 2 having just an atrocity of a control scheme for what it wants to do.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 5, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I don't miss the era of gaming where every single loving action game had to have some unique and quirky control scheme, that's for sure

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

barnold posted:

I don't miss the era of gaming where every single loving action game had to have some unique and quirky control scheme, that's for sure
I like how Twisted Metal for PS3's turbo control was shoving the SIXAXIS controller forward.

... which was actually an improvement over Twisted Metal Black where it was double-tapping square in a time window so finnicky that it only worked like a third of the time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lost Planet 2 controls worth noting:

Reload=click right stick
Grapple = x button (meaning you cannot aim, move, and grapple at same time so the games theoretically core movement mechanic doesn't work)
Melee = b
Sprint = hold b
Left bumper = turn immediately 90 degrees left (this is a third person shooter that is mostly linear corridors. You will literally never use this)
Right bumper = turn immediately 90 degrees right (see above)
Only in one specific vehicle Left and Right Bumper: Go up and down
Iron Sights/Zoom = Up on the dpad
Entering some mechs for no discernable reason is a two step process using two different buttons, one to enter and one to turn it on. For others you just enter them

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 6, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

spending more time memorizing controls than actually playing a game ftw

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is true: I've almost entirely beaten the game and done probably 60% in co-op. I've seen orange chests everywhere in every single level which are apparently filled with extra guns. I say apparently because only one player I've played with has ever opened one and I still don't know how to do it because nothing in the game tells you and they are flat out unneeded to beat the game so I've stubbornly refused to look it up.

Oh poo poo I forgot another button

Start Button: fast healing

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Y'all gonna talk about this gen and not disclose the god awful brown colouring in 90% of the games?..

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Thankfully, that went out of fashion relatively quick, and was mostly limited to bigger titles. Most of my favorites from the generation were quite brightly-colored, including the obvious generational standout Burnout: Crash.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's been weird watching Woolie of the Best Friends play Arkham Asylum because he knows nothing about it. It might just be me, but that and City are two of the first games I think of with this generation of games.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I always think of Bioshock, a good game, but one that's mechanically inferior to it's predecessor, that's like the entire 7th gen in a nutshell

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Defenistrator posted:

Y'all gonna talk about this gen and not disclose the god awful brown colouring in 90% of the games?..

Having played a bunch of 360 and original Xbox back to back, the OG Xbox is king of brown town. Now oversaturated grey with hideous bloom thats the 360 era.

Edit: Kill.switch is the most influential game of all time in that it both inspired Gears of War and it was oppressively Brown

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is not a drill:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1373996180653375490

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I would like to see galaga legions ported to something other than the 3ds

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
https://twitter.com/DoesItPlay1/status/1374034203826909196?s=20

Make sure to swap the cmos battery in your ps3 to prevent your digital download licenses from not being able to validate after the store closes down (it apparently has to sync with psn once you swap batteries).

Also, does anyone know of an easy way to differentiate between PS+ freebies and actual purchased games for the PS3 now that they changed the online store? Going through each one in the PS3 store will take forever with how slow/laggy it is these days. I need to make sure my purchases are downloaded since the PS+ freebies will be going away once they drop PSN support, unless they just give us ownership licenses for all of those titles before they shutter the store.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

Going through each one in the PS3 store will take forever with how slow/laggy it is these days it has always been.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I did the hook up and clean up of my vita, psp and ps3 in January the last time they hosed with the store. It took forever cleaning up the PS+ games and then downloading things because the downloads page has 1000s of poo poo from ps4 and took minutes to scroll down. It also resets to the top when you finally download something :smith:

Also this reminds me to see if they ever translated the Macross 30 game for PS3. I imported it and loved the poo poo out of it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

someone needs to compile a list of really good digital-only ps3 and vita games that can't be bought and played anywhere else

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 23, 2021

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

someone needs to compile a list of really good digital-only ps3 and vita games that can't be bought and played anywhere else

100% agreed. Get rid of a bunch of the indies on my Vita and fill that 64gb mem card with the best of the best. Though I feel like I will just end up doing CFW so I can start using SD cards on my vita and PStv.Wasn't going to as long as the stores were running, less incentive to not do it with them going away.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

Also this reminds me to see if they ever translated the Macross 30 game for PS3. I imported it and loved the poo poo out of it.

The answer to this, as in all other questions of 'Why can't America have nice Macross things?' is Harmony Gold. So no.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Imagined posted:

The answer to this, as in all other questions of 'Why can't America have nice Macross things?' is Harmony Gold. So no.

I was hoping for a fan-patch or something.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Found this so far... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I almost bought a Vita yesterday.

For PS3 pretty much any game that wasn't a Sony North America title and was exclusive to the system will be in this no longer playable format so theres a shedload of these especially from Japanese publishers because they never gave up on the system. The whole move library and eyetoy as mentioned.

I doubt anyone is gonna cry over Auto Assault or PAIN but Tokyo Jungle is a real interesting title and it means yet another fuggin katamari game goes to the great cloud in the sky.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

This list is decent: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/6ym1li/ps3_exclusivesnonpc_multiplatform_games_list/

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Mad that I sold some games in the past year or so needlessly (like Zone of the Enders HD Collection) since I had digital copies I either purchased on got through PS+. May end up grabbing physical copies anyway even after I narrow my downloads down and swap my cmos before this summer. Some are on 360 and have XB1X support, so may just grab there instead since I guess I don't care about saves at this point anyway.

Definitely worried about some games hiking up in price higher than they are now that I only have digital purchases for, especially Tales of Symphonia Chronicles and Tales of Xillia 1 and 2.

Also stuff like FFX2 on Vita is only download and was on the cart with FFX. So if I want to do a PS4 + Vita play, I have to reserve precious space for that on my 64gb card.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

While FFX-2 is available on all sorts of systems including the switch, do be cautious with Zone of the Enders collection on 360 as it never got a patch the PS3 version got so it is strictly inferior. That said not sure how much that matters if you can never install that patch so, hrmmm.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Barudak posted:

While FFX-2 is available on all sorts of systems including the switch, do be cautious with Zone of the Enders collection on 360 as it never got a patch the PS3 version got so it is strictly inferior. That said not sure how much that matters if you can never install that patch so, hrmmm.

Oh interesting, good to know. I heard the ps3 version was laggy compared to the xbox, but maybe that was fixed with the patch? Can get the PS3 disc new for $9.99 on Amazon, 360 version is $16.97.

edit: looked it up and see the patch was more than the framedrops, but the 1080p textures and better AA. I would be mostly playing it on my XB1X and later on a seriesX when I get one, so reviews say they brute force the fps issues. Still missing the better textures but they also add in their own AA so I guess that helps. May just go that route anyway to have to avoid losing the patch anyway (though may be moot if I go with CFW anyway at this point with the stores closing).

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 23, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So Series X/One X will only help it maintain whatever framerate it was supposed to have. Since Konami does gently caress all to support classic titles I doubt even if a system wide double fps or whatever comes out that they'll approve microsoft to enable that.

That said nothing is announced from Sony at the moment so the worrying may be for naught for a long time regarding patches and downloads. If they do say "yeah PS3 game patching and poo poo is done, RIP" you can always switch to xbox at that juncture.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I've got a 750GB HDD in my Super Slim - I picked up a Slim that should be downgradeable/CFW-capable that I'd like to make my primary system (with the Super Slim as a "legit" backup console).

Had a few questions about setting things up:

1) From a cursory Google, it seems I can log in with my primary PSN account on the Slim, download any legit games, disconnect from PSN (forever), then jailbreak and still have access to the legit game - is this correct?
2) Roughly how many physical games could I expect to fit on a 750GB hard drive? Was thinking I'd just pull the one out of my Super Slim since there's basically nothing on it, format it, and stick it in the Slim for now. Eventually I'll get a cheap smaller one to restore the Super Slim back to functionality, but it won't need much as it'll be for playing physical copies if I ever feel like doing that. Is an SSD worth it over say, a 5400rpm HDD?
3) CMOS battery: I take it unless something changes with hacking, once your replacement goes (and Sony's servers are long down) that's basically it for downloaded games?

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

My kids are absolutely OBSESSED with Deadstorm Pirates on the PS3 Move.

Are there any other really good Move shooters? Or even just Move games in general?

Also we have two move controllers but are there any games that actually allow 4 move controllers at once?

SportsFriends supposedly has support for up to 7 (!) with the Johann Sebastian Joust game. It comes with a PS4 license as well (although that one tops out at 4 players, must be a hardware thing). I just bought it because been wanting to try it out and would be great to have a 7 player version in my back pocket if I ever had a bigger group around - think I have like 8 Move controllers at this point.

Edit: I also have Sports Champions and Racket Sports which all say they're 1-4 players and require Move controllers, I assume that's all at once but haven't actually tried them out. They are dirt cheap to buy physical copies on eBay IIRC.

Edit2: oh yeah, and also Just Dance

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 28, 2021

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

At this point I'd probably grab an ssd. You'll get a minor boost from not having it spin up like a platter drive. Mostly, though, I'd feel better about one not failing. Have had a few platter drives fail lately and it sucks.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I've got a 750GB HDD in my Super Slim - I picked up a Slim that should be downgradeable/CFW-capable that I'd like to make my primary system (with the Super Slim as a "legit" backup console).

Had a few questions about setting things up:

1) From a cursory Google, it seems I can log in with my primary PSN account on the Slim, download any legit games, disconnect from PSN (forever), then jailbreak and still have access to the legit game - is this correct?
2) Roughly how many physical games could I expect to fit on a 750GB hard drive? Was thinking I'd just pull the one out of my Super Slim since there's basically nothing on it, format it, and stick it in the Slim for now. Eventually I'll get a cheap smaller one to restore the Super Slim back to functionality, but it won't need much as it'll be for playing physical copies if I ever feel like doing that. Is an SSD worth it over say, a 5400rpm HDD?
3) CMOS battery: I take it unless something changes with hacking, once your replacement goes (and Sony's servers are long down) that's basically it for downloaded games?

1) You can download legit games from a jailbroken PS3 provided you run a proxy server that masks your system OS version in order to connect to PSN. I've done it several times, and there's no risk of being banned because enabling PSN in the CFW automatically disables the CFW hooks, allowing you to download stuff from PSN and then just restart the console back into offline CFW mode (and at least in the past you'd have needed to do that process to play any game online anyway)

2) Not sure. For the cost alone I can't say I'd be willing to spend the extra to put a SSD in there but I also don't really care about an extra few seconds of loading time. If you like spending money then go for it I guess

3) I'm not sure what would need to be changed in terms of hacking as a jailbroken PS3 has been able to generate its own IDPS for downloaded games for many years. You may need to use Multiman's license file tool to initially activate a title but this isn't anything new in terms of the custom firmware scene

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i have a 360 sitting in storage, not sure what to do with it, there aren't many games on it that i particularly want to play, but ive been told that hacked ps3's are still good as media players for CRT's (since they output good video quality over scart), is this true for the 360 and could i potentially use it to play video files on my CRT? or games even i guess?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I guess it's true but hacking a 360 is far more complex and involves soldering no matter how you slice it. PS3 is the superior machine because it can be softmodded first after which you can then install the permanent CFW. if you feel confident with an iron in your hand it's not really that difficult but it does take time and effort and some patience, provided you've got a model ripe for hacking

for no hack solutions you could run a Windows Media server from a computer and them stream the poo poo to the 360's native media player or just use a flash drive if you're looking to just play media on it. I use my 360 slim to watch Reno 911 on a 27" Toshiba CRT when I'm doing stuff on my retro PCs :cheersdoge:

barnold fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 28, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shibawanko posted:

i have a 360 sitting in storage, not sure what to do with it, there aren't many games on it that i particularly want to play, but ive been told that hacked ps3's are still good as media players for CRT's (since they output good video quality over scart), is this true for the 360 and could i potentially use it to play video files on my CRT? or games even i guess?

You don't even need to hack a PS3 to use it as a media player, just install Universal Media Server on your PC and direct it to the relevant folders on your computer. Your PS3'll pick it up as a valid network media drive.

I think the X360 is also compatible with UMS.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the X360 is also compatible with UMS.

There is a 360 render profile in UMS but I have never gotten a stock 360 to stay connected to the loving thing. You can maybe get it to start and play a stream for a brief period of time but in my experience it's insanely flaky

e: I've had more success running Windows Media Player on my computer and opening the media streaming ports. it's still crazy janky but I could at least start a video and watch it all the way through. as soon as you try to pause or FF/rew....all bets are off. for a 360 I'd rather have stuff locally accessible even if that means just having a spare cheapo external drive kicking around to load stuff on (unless there's a really good network streaming solution I don't know about!)

barnold fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 28, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is a PS3 somebody left outside my neighboring apartment building and I was like "who just leaves a PS3 outside to get damaged or stolen for days" and then I realized it was a slim.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's not out of print or anything, but spec ops the line held up. the ostentation of dubai utterly in ruins still gets me, both for the beauty of the presentation and reinforcing the background of futility, tenousness and inevitable failure. I thought the apocalypse now/jacobs ladder influence was a little gaudy the last time Implayed it, but it fit better this time around, I think because it's a tact no one else has taken yet with their wargame narative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1384190230354223110

The PSP store will still shut down on July 2.