Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
In a fit of nostalgia I hooked up my G27 Wheel and racing seat that has been collecting dust for a decade, and pulled out the PS3 which was my driving game console of choice.

Ive been having a grand old time rediscovering so my old wheel games. The PS3 had some exceptional ones. Dirt 3, GT5, MotorStorm Apocalypse, Initial D.

Anything else I'm missing out on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

well, i managed to hook up my ps3 to my crt, RGB scart:

i can't say it looks quite as nice as on a big HD tv but still perfectly playable

ingame text isn't huge but i have no issue reading it

not only am i undead, i'm also in 480i

the real reason for this is that i can use the ps3 as a CRT media center though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Isometric Bacon posted:

In a fit of nostalgia I hooked up my G27 Wheel and racing seat that has been collecting dust for a decade, and pulled out the PS3 which was my driving game console of choice.

Ive been having a grand old time rediscovering so my old wheel games. The PS3 had some exceptional ones. Dirt 3, GT5, MotorStorm Apocalypse, Initial D.

GT6 I guess? If you could buy it anymore I would have said Outrun Online Arcade. Most of the Formula 1 games by Codemasters are pretty good.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Isometric Bacon posted:

We've blown the dust of the old Kinect and have introduced it to my kids, who are absolutely having a blast with Kinect Sports, party and a bunch of other titles I had.

d00d get double fine's kinect party if you haven't already

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

The Voice of Labor posted:

d00d get double fine's kinect party if you haven't already

Oh yeah. Way ahead of you, that game is amazing for kids. Back in the day we'd leave it running for my nephew and nieces birthday parties and they all lapped it up.

Funnily enough when I tried it briefly with my own kids recently they didn't really get into it. Guess they weren't in the mood, but I'm sure if we try it again they'll have a good time.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I picked up Lord of the Rings Conquest today, and I feel like I can conclude one of those "I really wanted to play this so bad as a kid but never got to" sort of deals.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Picked up a copy of Tenchu Z, and so far after playing a bit on my lunch break it seems like it's basically just more Tenchu, which is always nice.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hel posted:

Picked up a copy of Tenchu Z, and so far after playing a bit on my lunch break it seems like it's basically just more Tenchu, which is always nice.

People poo poo on Tenchu Z but I like it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are there any good alternatives for new PS3 controllers these days? Something with analog buttons since I want to get another used PS3 just as a Metal Gear machine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure no other controller than the DS2/DS3/Sixaxis does analogue buttons, least of all anything compatible with the PS3 itself

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I did some research and it seems like RF just came out with a PS controller that works with the first 3 PlayStations. Seems to be pretty decent with analog buttons. It says a PS3 only version with sixaxis is coming so I think I’ll wait for that.

https://retrofighters.com/our-colle...ame-controller/

I usually like using original controllers but I always found the pre-DS4 Sony pads so bad that a new design is another plus for me.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 18, 2022

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

I did some research and it seems like RF just came out with a PS controller that works with the first 3 PlayStations. Seems to be pretty decent with analog buttons. It says a PS3 only version with sixaxis is coming so I think I’ll wait for that.

I usually like using original controllers but I always found the pre-DS4 Sony pads so bad that a new design is another plus for me.

I just ordered one of these so I'll be happy to post impressions when it arrives.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are there any good alternatives for new PS3 controllers these days? Something with analog buttons since I want to get another used PS3 just as a Metal Gear machine.

So I got that Retro Fighter Defender and spent a couple days with it -- there is a lot to like but also one thing I am really, really disappointed by. The good news is that it does what it says: the analog buttons work great, and aside from no Sixaxis functionality it is very serviceable as a Dual Shock 3 replacement. I spent a good chunk of time with MGS2 on a PS2 and MGS4 on a PS3 with it and it worked like a charm for both. The form factor is also really nice and comparable to the XB1/Xbox Series controller.

The big, big, caveat is that the d-pad is shockingly bad, especially for something with "fighter" in the branding. If you don't play a lot of 2D games this probably isn't a huge deal, but I was hoping it could pull triple duty on my PS1 and Mister and it just isn't up for the task. The dpad sits way too low on the surface of the controller, so you can press on the center and register all four directions at the same time. For me this meant I could very easily input left AND right at the same time, which happened a lot in 2D RPGs.

The other, much more significant problem, is that this also means you can very easily input u[/down and left or u[/down and right at the same time. I was able to get pure left or right inputs by pressing only on the up or down direction, and rocking my thumb to the side, coming nowhere close to the left or right sides of the dpad. When trying to play something like Street Fighter, this meant I could never reliably make a fireball or dragon punch motion -- something I have had perfect muscle memory for after nearly 30 years.

So yeah, if you don't do a lot of 2D gaming I think it will be just fine, but I'm very angry at how much it sucks for 2D stuff. So, I guess I'd wait for the sixaxis version and see if they improve the d-pad at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

I might grab one of the six-axis ones if these prove to be any good, just to have a controller that doesn't have off-gassing thumbsticks slowly dissolving.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Isometric Bacon posted:

At the time I totally didn't appreciate how good that generation was for arcade racing games. It was a golden era.

No idea how well they play on a wheel (I suspect not very) but Sega Rally, Blur and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift are GOAT tier arcade racers.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm pretty sure no other controller than the DS2/DS3/Sixaxis does analogue buttons, least of all anything compatible with the PS3 itself

OG XBOX controllers had analog buttons too, though support and availability are even worse. I did use a Type-S on Windows way back and I recall it even supported the analog functionality, but the driver was buggy and unsigned.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Wasn't there a NFS that had analog gas on A, and it was absolutely dreadful and fatiguing?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Wasn't there a NFS that had analog gas on A, and it was absolutely dreadful and fatiguing?

Probably, it was fine in GT3/4/5/6 though in the case of the latter two you were better off using the triggers. Was more useful for the brakes, also.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I've been playing Scarface on the original xbox and it uses A for gas with no way ti remap. It's torture

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zophar posted:

So I got that Retro Fighter Defender and spent a couple days with it -- there is a lot to like but also one thing I am really, really disappointed by. The good news is that it does what it says: the analog buttons work great, and aside from no Sixaxis functionality it is very serviceable as a Dual Shock 3 replacement. I spent a good chunk of time with MGS2 on a PS2 and MGS4 on a PS3 with it and it worked like a charm for both. The form factor is also really nice and comparable to the XB1/Xbox Series controller.

The big, big, caveat is that the d-pad is shockingly bad, especially for something with "fighter" in the branding. If you don't play a lot of 2D games this probably isn't a huge deal, but I was hoping it could pull triple duty on my PS1 and Mister and it just isn't up for the task. The dpad sits way too low on the surface of the controller, so you can press on the center and register all four directions at the same time. For me this meant I could very easily input left AND right at the same time, which happened a lot in 2D RPGs.

The other, much more significant problem, is that this also means you can very easily input u[/down and left or u[/down and right at the same time. I was able to get pure left or right inputs by pressing only on the up or down direction, and rocking my thumb to the side, coming nowhere close to the left or right sides of the dpad. When trying to play something like Street Fighter, this meant I could never reliably make a fireball or dragon punch motion -- something I have had perfect muscle memory for after nearly 30 years.

So yeah, if you don't do a lot of 2D gaming I think it will be just fine, but I'm very angry at how much it sucks for 2D stuff. So, I guess I'd wait for the sixaxis version and see if they improve the d-pad at all.

Thanks for the review. Hopefully they improve the dpad for that version. I’d probably still grab one anyways if not.

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
EDIT: NVM, figured it out. Split/Second rules.

ControlV fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 31, 2022

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I picked up a Retro Fighter Defender also and besides some PS2 games it doesn't work with its alright.

Been rebuying PS3 games lately that I've wanted to replay:

Red Dead Redemption
Undead Knightmare
Episodes form Liberty City
Split Second
Captain America
Top Spin 4

a bunch of others. Nothing super rare but I feel like EFLC might be worth something some day because it was printed in a very low run

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Had to pick up a new PS3 but I'm pissed that I seem to be unable to softmod it because whoever made the ps3xploit tools lost his site and because he appears to be a massive tool I doubt it's ever coming back. Anyone know of a possible modchipping service?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I just searched for ps3tools reddit , sorted by last month and got a new link

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Well I had to do a bit more searching than that and I finally found a working host from some shady Russian dude. But as we all know they're the best at this kind of crap.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i've been thinking a lot lately about early xbox 360 poo poo (mostly through listening to early giant bombcasts). i bought one right around when crackdown came out and i remember that era through about 2011 seeming so cool and interesting, and also the pre-nxe era specifically having a much different feel to the games on xbla. like, i just played outpost kaloki x for the first time not long ago and it is SO early xbla that even though it isn't a great game, i enjoyed myself just 'cause it reminded me of when xbla games were like that, compared with later on when they were costing 20 bucks a pop and were becoming really long. there was an identity to xbla games that was kinda lost over time.

and honestly by the end of the 360's life it was kind of an irritating system to live with, the dashboard became so goddamn laggy by the end and more difficult to navigate as well when they started plastering fuckin ads everywhere. it's no wonder to me that it lost momentum and the ps3 ended up winning, between the ever-worsening dashboard and microsoft seemingly just giving the gently caress up on anything not kinect it's like they wanted to lose their lead. it's a shame 'cause the early 360 era was really neat and had me excited for the future (lmfao what a fool i was for so many reasons).

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Compared to the original Xbox, I've always had somewhat of a grudge against the 360, right from the beginning:

The overly busy/loud branding.
Slapping Apple-esque curves all over the design.
Thin casing that feels like it'll crack if you pick it up the wrong way.
Never got the Blades dashboard hype. Always felt to me the polar opposite of streamlined/intuitive.
Did a bigger store and achievements really necessitate bloating the dashboard?
Eschewing the built-in hard drive, meaning games couldn't be designed around the caching function.
Initially featuring an inferior (tighter) breakaway controller cable before dropping it completely.
As vitriolic as Game Chat was, I'll take people talking in games over the silence introduced with Party Chat.
DVD drive is paired to the motherboard, so can't install a better one without modding.
R.I.P. custom soundtracks.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Synthetic Hermit posted:

The overly busy/loud branding.
Slapping Apple-esque curves all over the design.
Thin casing that feels like it'll crack if you pick it up the wrong way.
Never got the Blades dashboard hype. Always felt to me the polar opposite of streamlined/intuitive.

I love my two 360's but MS could have done better. Who told them poison-green was the right colour? Mags, packages and ads exposed you to it like they wanted to turn you radioactive. I disliked that choice. The casing looked liket they shrunk a PC-case in an oven and used the deformed result. Additionally I thought the many online codes games came with were cool until I realised their intention was to make the market for used games less attractive. Screw them for that. There was no way I had chosen a 360 over a PS3 in 2008. Today I think I would rather go for the MS product though (XB SX).

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The green was a holdover from OG Xbox aesthetics, but that tended to be against dark backgrounds and feel space/rave-ish. With the "desktop hardware" off-white of the 360 it came off more like evil medical equipment.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

evil medical equipment

Good description.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

trying to win an ebay bid for the ps3 game AquaPazza.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I hooked my PS3 Super Slim back up thinking I'd install HEN on it now there's a 4.90 crack and decided to instead log into my PSN account and see how much stuff is in my purchase history. Pretty sure I could now use only this and not run out of stuff to play for a few years. I forgot how many PSOne Classics I bought.

Problem is now I'm considering finding a regular Slim to do CFW poo poo to.

E: I found a regular Slim to do CFW poo poo to. This thing is way bigger than I remember, it's only 2 inches smaller than the drat PS5.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 27, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What's the best component cable for the Wii that isn't absurdly priced?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The "Old Skool" cables on Amazon seem OK to me.
There's also some generic looking ones for slightly cheaper that look OK.

I'll have to check mine for any visible brand or logo when I get home.

Once you get some disable deflicker and consider setting video output mode to "framebuffer" (disable stretch.)

I wonder if in the future people will keep 480p native plasma TVs for this generation of consoles.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 21, 2023

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Hd retrovision is 30 on Amazon and they’re great, not sure if that’s absurd or not tho

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

~Coxy posted:

The "Old Skool" cables on Amazon seem OK to me.
There's also some generic looking ones for slightly cheaper that look OK.

I'll have to check mine for any visible brand or logo when I get home.

Once you get some disable deflicker and consider setting video output mode to "framebuffer" (disable stretch.)

I wonder if in the future people will keep 480p native plasma TVs for this generation of consoles.

I literall still use a 1080p Plasma TV because it has ALL the native inputs I need for older consoles, including VGA.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I’m having an extremely hard time moving away from the 1080p TVs I have right now because they have the right inputs, the image quality is good and they don’t have any smart TV functions. It seems like TV quality has really tanked too, I was looking at them fairly seriously last time I was at best buy and the only ones I thought looked really great were the way too expensive Sony ones. I’m sure a lot of that can be mitigated with proper setup but I’d rather not roll the dice.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I literall still use a 1080p Plasma TV because it has ALL the native inputs I need for older consoles, including VGA.

:hfive: Still got my Panasonic Viera!

I have a AVR that still has component and HDMI.
360 and Wii connect via component.
Technically the AVR will digitize/upscale but it's noticeable worse than just piping the component to the TV. Just have to change the source on the TV.

On the 360, VGA is the only output that lets you get native 1024x768 and other oddball resolutions, which is good for projectors. A long VGA cable is also very cheap compared to the alternatives (even HDMI!) which lets you put the console and the speakers at the front for Rock Band (and YDKJ) and feed the video back to a project that's usually stacked on top of 5 milk crates...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I too still have just a 1080p HDTV, a Sharp, it just turned ten.

Came to say, looks like my PS3 may be dead... Or in the next dimension. Getting the red blinky light and beeps when I try to turn it on. Googled it, they say it can be an overheating thing or a precursor to a YLOD etc, a reddit thread said. It's not hot, it's quite cool, haven't played a game on it in a while. Turned it on just to charge the controllers, had it on for a few hours and it conked out.

Unplugged it, brushed it off, doesn't look too dusty etc. MGS4 pack-in 80gb fat version. 2008 - 2023?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Heavy Metal posted:

Unplugged it, brushed it off, doesn't look too dusty etc. MGS4 pack-in 80gb fat version. 2008 - 2023?

The problem isn't dust, it's the lack of good thermal paste. If you don't solve that immediately you will get a fried CPU and/or GPU soon. Check videos online on how to apply.