Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

~Coxy posted:

The "Old Skool" cables on Amazon seem OK to me.

The Automator posted:

Hd retrovision is 30 on Amazon and they’re great, not sure if that’s absurd or not tho

Thank you both.

Also, I wish I had bought a good Plasma back then. Those panels were already disappearing from stores when I was shopping around for an HD TV in 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Saoshyant posted:

What's the best component cable for the Wii that isn't absurdly priced?

Just fyi wii output even with component is pretty garbage. Theres some blur filter thing always applied and it's always stretched.

I mean still get the cables but I was always confused why it wasn't crisp back in the day, and recently learned this.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yeah, that was what I was saying to turn off.

You're still scaling 480p to 1080p, but it looks a lot better. Of course, without the stretch Link is gonna be lanky but I bet it's one of those thing you stop noticing after 15 minutes.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

falz posted:

Just fyi wii output even with component is pretty garbage. Theres some blur filter thing always applied and it's always stretched.

I mean still get the cables but I was always confused why it wasn't crisp back in the day, and recently learned this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzJth1XFCBU

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023
Is this why Gamecube games look worse on the Wii? I'm going to have to update usbloadergx and check this out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

holefoods posted:

I’m having an extremely hard time moving away from the 1080p TVs I have right now because they have the right inputs, the image quality is good and they don’t have any smart TV functions. It seems like TV quality has really tanked too, I was looking at them fairly seriously last time I was at best buy and the only ones I thought looked really great were the way too expensive Sony ones. I’m sure a lot of that can be mitigated with proper setup but I’d rather not roll the dice.

I got a modern Hisense 4K TV for normal TV stuff and it's fine enough, but I will never get rid of the 15 year old 720p LG one I had up until getting that which is now in the bedroom with all the old consoles on because it still has all the analog circuitry inside because it was released before the analog shutdown in the UK started so even my RF-only Master System works on it. Though I do look around a lot of second hand electronics stores whenever I'm in town looking for something that might be better, there was a Sony I saw a few weeks back of a similar vintage that I was sorely tempted by.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
anyone copping any new titles lately? local retro game shop stocks a whole wall of 360 games, been picking up a few here and there. some recent additions to the collection:

007 Goldeneye Reloaded
Clive Barker's Jericho
College Hoops 2K7
Conflict: Denied Ops
Dead Island
Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
MLB Front Office Manager
Need For Speed ProStreet
Need For Speed Shift
The Bigs
Viva Pinata Party Animals

i wanted to pick up a copy of 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand but they want $79.99 for it :laffo: i didn't realize it was such a rare game these days

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

is jericho any good? I seem to remember the demo being kinda interesting but never actually seeing a copy of the game anywhere

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Voice of Labor posted:

is jericho any good? I seem to remember the demo being kinda interesting but never actually seeing a copy of the game anywhere

Not really but I kind of appreciate it anyway

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
it's definitely a mid-00s shooter but the clive barker elements make it at least marginally more appealing than your usual brown and grey military hallway shooter. i'm a sucker for games like that even if they're bad though so win-win for me. i've been really enjoying Goldeneye Reloaded though, not sure how i missed this back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZmtFsDxkis

barnold fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 20, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Voice of Labor posted:

It never really lived up to the promise it had. But as far as Lost alikes it's pretty high up there

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

It never really lived up to the promise it had. But as far as Lost alikes it's pretty high up there

:newlol:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

barnold posted:

i wanted to pick up a copy of 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand but they want $79.99 for it :laffo: i didn't realize it was such a rare game these days
It's not rare, it's just not on PS4/PS5

recently grabbed a lot of about 30 games from facebook marketplace for about 1.50 a game, highlights are fallout new vegas ultimate edition, gta liberty city stories, hitman absolution

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Just finished LCS on PS2 the other day, it's a nice tight little GTA that stays focused on the Mafia stuff. Toni's just a guy doing a job, he don't want to be no mob boss.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

bowmore posted:

It's not rare, it's just not on PS4/PS5

this is for the 360 and according to the internet it's the opposite problem - it's a backwards compatible title on the SX but isn't available digitally. so everyone has been hoovering up the physical copies

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

barnold posted:

this is for the 360 and according to the internet it's the opposite problem - it's a backwards compatible title on the SX but isn't available digitally. so everyone has been hoovering up the physical copies
ah ok, that explains why they are inflating it

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

conflict denied ops is tremendously bad. i mean i knew that when i picked it up but having never played it until this weekend....just pure lol

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
I recently grabbed:

Blood Stone 007
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Zone of the Enders
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

And yeah, GoldenEye: Reloaded rules. It's not the greatest shooter, but it's drawn me into replaying it several times, which is something I very rarely do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ControlV posted:

I recently grabbed:

Blood Stone 007
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Zone of the Enders
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

And yeah, GoldenEye: Reloaded rules. It's not the greatest shooter, but it's drawn me into replaying it several times, which is something I very rarely do.

Wait, PS3 or X360 for ZoE? Because only the PS3 version got patched to being decent.

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
360. Dammit.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

picked up a copy of Flatout: Ultimate Carnage. great game (even if it is just flatout 2 with extra junk) but the demo derbies are a complete nightmare. AI just drives away from you, you don't get points for practically anything except doing the final hit on an AI, so most of the gameplay is just sitting in a corner of the arena waiting for enough arrows above cars to turn red and then cruise missling yourself into them and hoping you get the frag before another AI does

but i didn't really buy it for the demo derbies, i bought it to play the stunt minigames when friends come over

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I'm fortunate enough to have a CRT that takes component. I haven't noticed many issues with how my Wii plays Gamecube games on that fwiw. Maybe I should take another look...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, every time I remember to play some of my mostly unused PS3 Superslim (which always goes back to its box so it doesn't gather dust) that thing gets absurdly hot, really hot. I have been concerned about that for a while, but haven't bothered to figure out how to take it apart and apply thermal paste/pads but will eventually have to bite the bullet and do so. Any good guides on that?

Maybe there's an external power supply mod too somewhere?

Something I just realized today that probably will help is replace the aging HDD for a SSD since those are smaller and require less energy. Is this actually a good idea? Also, how are SSD these days when they are forgotten and left powered off for a year or two (or three)? 'Cause I remember data retention being a massive issue for those things when left alone for too long.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, here's what I figured out so far.

iFixit has a guide on how to replace the fan, which is a good step by step on how to take the thing apart with photos

But I actually found a better guide on taking it apart slowly and cleaning it up from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np9NFJMwgQo

It's in Brazilian but, even without understanding a word, it's clear what's going on. Also, loved the idea of applying thermal paste with some lovely plastic bag, it's brilliant and gets the job done.

So, that whole process is gonna be a pain to do, but seems to be doable even for the likes of me.

Regarding replacing the HDD with a SSD to lower the temps, I didn't find any data pointing to that being an advantage. Maybe a better brand HDD at 1TB will use less energy and thus have less heat issues?

The best SSD to use on the PS3 seems to be a Crucial MX500 with 1 TB storage. Those are reliable and can do garbage collection (which is required since the PS3 doesn't do TRIM), so they should last long. Data retention when not powered on for a long time is still problematic, I found. Modern SSDs can retain data for 2 to 5 years without being powered on and kept at low room temperatures of no more than 25ºC, so I'd have to make sure to turn on the system every 2 years or less to avoid losing installed games.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think ifixit.com has some solid guides as well if anyone needed more

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
The SSD on the PS3 seemingly has almost no load time advantages. I put one in yesterday while i was soft modding the system.

It probably generates less heat / takes less energy due to the lack of moving parts but there is no noticeable performance bonus to it, just FYI.

My PS3 seems to be working OK after being off for the last several years though. Now I've got to rip my giant stack of discs to it.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Also why are PS3 controllers such garbage? Is there a decent 3rd party alternative in TYOOL 2023? Do I have to buy an adapter to use a decent controller?

I've been mostly using a DualShock 4 plugged in, but it supposedly won't work for everything?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I came across a USB adapter that supported wired 360 controllers several years ago but so many games have waggle features shoe horned in that I stopped using it. The DualShock 3 really is extremely unpleasant, I don’t know if it’s the weight or what.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Substandard posted:

The SSD on the PS3 seemingly has almost no load time advantages. I put one in yesterday while i was soft modding the system.

Yeah most of the IO speed problems on the ps3 are because it does full encryption but doesn't have a dedicated ASIC to do it so it uses one of the SPUs, and it's very.. Very slow to do so

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I had a lot of dual shock 3s get dumb and quit working. I’ve had really good luck with a brook converter for it and using ps4 and 5 controllers.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
All 3 Dualshock 3 I currently have are either missing inputs or having random ghost inputs, despite my best efforts to take them apart and reassemble them, so I bought some random 3rd party ones off amazon that were like $20 for 2 of them. They do have a fun graffiti design on them and claim to have an 800mAH battery though.

If they are bad (which I think they will be), I'll probably look into the adapter route. You still lose out on all the sixaxis stuff whith those even if you use a Ps4/5 controller right?

Substandard fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 24, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Don't forget the thumbsticks offgassing and breaking down into a fun sticky surface too!

Silicone thumbstick covers are your friend with a DS3.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mine is 12 years old and it's still fine. Not my favorite controller, but I never disliked it particularly. I may have dodged a bullet and got a better controller model like I did in the PS4 era, when I saw friends who had their OEM controller sticks falling apart, but mine stayed immaculate.

Substandard posted:

It probably generates less heat / takes less energy due to the lack of moving parts but there is no noticeable performance bonus to it, just FYI.

That's why I was even posting about SSDs. I'm aware they do little difference in game performance on the PS3, but mine overheats like hell and I want to do everything I can to keep it going strong for another decade.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Saoshyant posted:

That's why I was even posting about SSDs. I'm aware they do little difference in game performance on the PS3, but mine overheats like hell and I want to do everything I can to keep it going strong for another decade.

Yeah, I had heard it was not a big performance increase, but I thought there would be SOMETHING. Ah well, live and learn.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Saoshyant posted:

They kinda do. Not as much as an HDD in a ps2 but there’s a very noticeable difference between HDD vs SSD in load area heavy games like Skyrim or Gran Turismo, and texture pop-in on Rage is completely eliminated.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The convex triggers on the DualShock 3 were horrible for driving games if you used them as the brake and accelerator. I had to buy some clip-on (concave) extenders to stop my fingers slipping off them when playing F1 [whateveryear]. The DS4 was almost infinitely better.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I hate triggers for any and all driving games ever. I think they all feel like poo poo. Give me that square to go and x to brake forever and ever

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I was perusing the internet last night and bought a rock band 3 key-tar for the ps3. Somehow I never tried it when it came out even though I'm a (bad) keyboard player. I think I had fallen off Rock Band by the time 3 came out.

I'm going to break out all my plastic instruments again and see if I can throw a 2023 rock band party for my 40 year old friends.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Substandard posted:

I'm going to break out all my plastic instruments again and see if I can throw a 2023 rock band party for my 40 year old friends.

One of us!
One of us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Man I’d LOVE to have a rock band party again. Some of my best gaming memories involve plastic guitars