Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

This is just pure evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

PinheadSlim posted:

For fries to be crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside they need to be fried twice ideally. If you just give them one long soak in the hot oil then they turn out floppy and greasy, which I'm pretty sure is what 5 guys does. And if it's been a while since they changed the oil then you can get a bitter aftertaste.

I've only had 5 guys a few times but it's easy to spot when you know about it

They used to properly twice fry, but now they just do a half hearted first fry so the second fry just cooks them through in a horribly greasy manner. Perfect for reheating in an air fryer though.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Only tired, not bad or sad

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

this place has over 10 thousand reviews on google. the pile of grass seems to be their signature thing (???)

(buenos aires)

Eh, if that's something like thinly sliced scallions or something charred up, those could be legitimately delicious burgs

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Imagine thinking "loose corn" is somehow superfluous

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

So was it any good? I assume that if a Chinese street food vendor was selling it, then it’s probably pretty tasty.

It's called starchy corn. Guess what it tastes like.

I actually like it, it's just a shock if you were expecting sweet corn. It's not sweet at all and is pretty much a cooked grain on the cob.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

Ah yes, the massive American to Brazil tourist market that surely exists. I'd forgotten how many of my friends and family clamor and scramble to get to...Brazil. Yes.

I want to go to Brazil and eat those fritters fried in dende oil and then suffer from horrible poops in the hotel since my body won't be used to that particular oil.

It's a foodie thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Lollerich posted:

Why is American food with very few exceptions just complete loving poo poo? It's always either too greasy, too spicy, too sweet or just too plain weird or all of the aforementioned. What went wrong with American food culture? It always just seems like they decide to just throw all kinds of garbage together which ends up looking barely edible. I mean I suppose you can eat it if you choose to , it's probably going to hit one or several of your taste buds in a way that will make it feel acceptable..., but almost all American food just looks really bad and/or unhealthy.
I'm not a food snob by any stretch of the imagination, and I try a lot of things and I like to cook for other people and I try experimenting with all kinds of cuisine and ingredients - but American just seems like it's either really unhealthy or just terrible in every other way?
Why?
Every American recipe looks like they are putting up a show - look what we have sitting around and can throw into this mess! The street food videos are especially bad, but look at all the other regular recipes you'll find online or on youtube or whatever. It's all terrible!