Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I felt like I got more points from hitting weaknesses with the combos, and just generally doing the combos as long as you can without getting hit or swapping seemed to be what was giving me the most points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Been having a hard time getting into the game. Just isn't vibing with me despite adoring that first hour of being back in Persona 5. Ended up switching it to Easy just to get bosses done faster. I kinda just put in an hour and a half to two hours per session.

I'm gonna feed Ryuji some ramen after fixing this guy's arm, then blast off the third boss. Does the story get more interesting with the fourth boss? its been building up that they're the primary target the police wants, so hopefully it's better than the last two "we came into town, someone was being a huge dick, cast member feels for it, we fix things and keep moving"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MorningMoon posted:

Been having a hard time getting into the game. Just isn't vibing with me despite adoring that first hour of being back in Persona 5. Ended up switching it to Easy just to get bosses done faster. I kinda just put in an hour and a half to two hours per session.

I'm gonna feed Ryuji some ramen after fixing this guy's arm, then blast off the third boss. Does the story get more interesting with the fourth boss? its been building up that they're the primary target the police wants, so hopefully it's better than the last two "we came into town, someone was being a huge dick, cast member feels for it, we fix things and keep moving"

yes, it abandons that weird formula right about the point you're at now

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yes, it abandons that weird formula right about the point you're at now

sweet, thank you!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Oof after picking some some more armor and summoning some Personas for PP my cash reserves are running low. Only half a million yen. That sounds like a lot but it isn't so much when it's like 60k to summon Personas to burn.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I appreciate this game letting me make a swole neko shogun and use it for longer than it would be viable in persona 5

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wonder if there should be a signpost that 'don't worry, the game switches up the formula right around the point where you might start to get sick of it'.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I started a Merciless playthrough because I was intrigued by the game saying that there's extra content in it (though it notes that it's not extra story content). I do remember seeing something about "Takeover mode" mentioned on a couple of sites talking about post-game content, but literally none of them say what it actually loving is. You do have to fuse the final Persona to access it, and I'm only level 83 and fusing it requires me to be 90, so it'll be a while before I find out.

People weren't kidding about how tough Merciless is, I got OHKO'd in the opening tutorial battle. I got through it by liberal use of Megadolaon. The first actual battle, the game was kind enough to inform me that there's no "Retry Battle" option in Merciless. What that means is if you get defeated in the Bicorn boss battle, you're doing everything all over again from when you first entered the Metaverse. Probably helpful to bring a Persona that does lightning damage and resists physical to prepare for that fight, I happened to have Shiisa (though a default drop one) in my stock which was really helpful since nothing else I had did electric damage, and you can't baton pass at that point so you can't spam Ryuji's skills.

Everything after that has been much more manageable, no more OHKO stuff so far though yeah enemies hit hard and it's usually two or three hits to make you go down. On the plus side, random battles have a good chance of dropping Incenses it seems.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ApplesandOranges posted:

I wonder if there should be a signpost that 'don't worry, the game switches up the formula right around the point where you might start to get sick of it'.

It's so bizarre how the game does a total flip on it. Like, I almost expected the characters to call it out, like things were being orchestrated, but no, the game just has an extremely particular formula for three jail's and then it's pretty much discarded entirely.

I also felt the same way, wondering if I'd need to find person, do research on person, go into dungeon, get three things, leave dungeon, plot, resume dungeon, fight guardian, fight boss - for the entire game, and was getting a little weary of it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I started a Merciless playthrough because I was intrigued by the game saying that there's extra content in it (though it notes that it's not extra story content). I do remember seeing something about "Takeover mode" mentioned on a couple of sites talking about post-game content, but literally none of them say what it actually loving is. You do have to fuse the final Persona to access it, and I'm only level 83 and fusing it requires me to be 90, so it'll be a while before I find out.

People weren't kidding about how tough Merciless is, I got OHKO'd in the opening tutorial battle. I got through it by liberal use of Megadolaon. The first actual battle, the game was kind enough to inform me that there's no "Retry Battle" option in Merciless. What that means is if you get defeated in the Bicorn boss battle, you're doing everything all over again from when you first entered the Metaverse. Probably helpful to bring a Persona that does lightning damage and resists physical to prepare for that fight, I happened to have Shiisa (though a default drop one) in my stock which was really helpful since nothing else I had did electric damage, and you can't baton pass at that point so you can't spam Ryuji's skills.

Everything after that has been much more manageable, no more OHKO stuff so far though yeah enemies hit hard and it's usually two or three hits to make you go down. On the plus side, random battles have a good chance of dropping Incenses it seems.

I'm up to Jail 6 and there's no extra story content. From what I've glanced though, here's what Merciless offers:

-Much better exp scaling; I was 99 before I was done with the second dungeon. Bond Exp is also scaled, though you'll still need to grind to unlock everything.
-Obviously much higher levels on the dropped Persona, if for some reason you need them
-Larger quantities of dropped Incenses
-Dire Shadows now respawn after you beat them and come back. This also applies to Risky though, so it's not a Merciless-only feature.
-Dire Shadows on Merciless drop 'ultimate' weapons for each character. These are basically each character's strongest weapon from the original post-game but with extra stats. For example, Ryuji's is still Elec Boost, but now also has St+5.
-The final Request (post-game) boss is now much harder and has adds.

I do find that character tier lists shift slightly in Merciless. Morgana is now king in Merciless among the healers, as Salvation is extremely helpful, and he'll murder anything that's been Burned thanks to Technical Adept and Garudyne spamming. Haru kind of flatlines a bit, as her Ma is low enough that she really has to spam to break shields and her other skills aren't too notable other than Heat Riser.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 31, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't think Merciless does any XP scaling, you're just fighting hordes of LVL 70+ enemies so you're bound to get a whole lot more XP from it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
have to say that the constant cross-chatter in Strikers gives the Phantom Thieves the strongest sense of team cohesion in any persona game thus far

if you're a Shadow then SEES or the scooby gang will kick the poo poo out of you all the same but only the PT will treat it like a bonding exercise

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Agreed!

I enjoyed P5 a whole lot more than P4, but I always felt that 4 did a better job of making the team feel like a group of friends who enjoyed each other's company, not just because they were on a team together.

P5S really nails the feeling that the cast really are friends and not just teammates.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah, Strikers seems like a direct response to the complaint that the P5 group were just a bunch of people who were independently friends with Joker vs a cohesive group of friends.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mentioned this elsewhere but I can understand the structure of the first three Jails in that light, Ann and especially Haru were basically bit players in the P5 palace storylines they were attached to, so giving them more screen time and plots that centered them was good.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I finally made Lucifer, got one that has a strength stat of 75 which is nice. I also gave it Null Nuke because why not. The biggest problem was trying to figure out what to give it, all the skills it can inherit from its components are so good it's difficult to choose. I took Angelic Grace too, as well as Fire Amp, Enduring Soul, and Spell Master. I feel those are probably the best skills to give him, though I guess it depends on if you're going to keep Blazing Hell or not. I'm flat broke though from spending the points to get the required Personas up to snuff. I have less than 300 yen.

Also the redux of the opening tutorial battle was really difficult, I got wiped five or six times. I finally was able to make it through with Yoshitsune and Ann's charm that gives high fire damage reduction. Since it nulls lightning the Zios the Pixies were throwing at me had no effect (those were responsible for about half my deaths), and it's strong against fire already so combined with Ann's charm it helped keep the Agis from Jack manageable. And on top of that it's strong against physical so the Bicorns were easier to deal with, and it had Enduring Soul so I got one free mulligan. Still an incredibly hard fight. Bicorns are the loving worst.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh man. The story does get way better after Dungeon 3. The intermission and the setup was excellent, and I'm way interested in whatever the gently caress I'll discover here.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I finally made Lucifer, got one that has a strength stat of 75 which is nice. I also gave it Null Nuke because why not. The biggest problem was trying to figure out what to give it, all the skills it can inherit from its components are so good it's difficult to choose. I took Angelic Grace too, as well as Fire Amp, Enduring Soul, and Spell Master. I feel those are probably the best skills to give him, though I guess it depends on if you're going to keep Blazing Hell or not. I'm flat broke though from spending the points to get the required Personas up to snuff. I have less than 300 yen.

Also the redux of the opening tutorial battle was really difficult, I got wiped five or six times. I finally was able to make it through with Yoshitsune and Ann's charm that gives high fire damage reduction. Since it nulls lightning the Zios the Pixies were throwing at me had no effect (those were responsible for about half my deaths), and it's strong against fire already so combined with Ann's charm it helped keep the Agis from Jack manageable. And on top of that it's strong against physical so the Bicorns were easier to deal with, and it had Enduring Soul so I got one free mulligan. Still an incredibly hard fight. Bicorns are the loving worst.

I settled on Fire Amp, Blazing Hell, Spell Master, Ice Boost and Diamond Dust on mine. Gives it a bit more flexibility.

Now that I'm deep into Merciless I'm just grabbing a Mot and Thor and levelling them up for their endgame spells, too.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah I found out real quick I want some ice since the Berith enemies in Sendai drain fire now, oof. The new enemy resistances are rough, like Slime completely nullifying physical now, and facing Berith and Slimes in a pack is really difficult.

Still I'm kinda having fun with Merciless, more than I thought I would. I'm kind of wondering if there's any new armor though, so far quest rewards seem to be the same, though I haven't done any of the "more armor in Sophie's shop" reward ones so I'm not sure if there's new armor from that, if there's no reward, or if it just gives me the repeat reward as the initial reward.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I found out real quick I want some ice since the Berith enemies in Sendai drain fire now, oof. The new enemy resistances are rough, like Slime completely nullifying physical now, and facing Berith and Slimes in a pack is really difficult.

Still I'm kinda having fun with Merciless, more than I thought I would. I'm kind of wondering if there's any new armor though, so far quest rewards seem to be the same, though I haven't done any of the "more armor in Sophie's shop" reward ones so I'm not sure if there's new armor from that, if there's no reward, or if it just gives me the repeat reward as the initial reward.

Rewards are pretty much the same. Your main targets are the Dire Shadows, since they drop the new ultimate weapons (one per). No new armor as far as I can tell.

Also casual reminder to bring Ryuji or a Zio Persona during the infiltration in Sendai towards the end when it's a rush to the top. Eligor's only weakness is Elec and he's resistant to Physical, and me deciding at the last second not to bring Ryuji and not having any Ziodyne made that fight way longer than it should have been.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Joker's Kitchen, endgame edition:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is the "endgame" Persona 5 Strikers recipe:

I used this recipe Grilled Skirt Steak With Mojo Marinade Recipe with a chimichurri of olive oil, lime juice, and minced garlic/chile/parsley/cilantro/shallot. The side was this: The Best Crispy Roast Potatoes Ever Recipe (the title is accurate, rosemary/chili/garlic oil roast and then tossing them in the bits afterwards is power)

I could have dialed in the steak a little bit better (with a wet marinade there's only so much I can do in terms of browning, and this was on stovetop) but it still turned out juicy and good. (Yes I cut with the grain for the photo, I cut across when actually eating lol)

The sauce was good, but I have a ton of it left, I also have a bunch of fresh cilantro and parsley I have to use up lol

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Their replacements are pretty cool, though. And by that I mean recipes:

I have been worried about working with raw fish in the past but I was inspired by wuggles' discord sushiposting to give it a shot. Osaka sushi is made flat in a mold, which I don't have. I also don't have a sushi mat for the normal rolls, so I went with a hand roll (temaki).

Ahi yellowfin tuna. The sashimi and nigiri cuts I tried reminded me that I need to sharpen my knives lol. The hand roll featured sushi rice, the ahi tossed with scallion greens and the chimichurri (olive oil, lime juice, parsley, cilantro) from my previous churrasco recipe, tamago (egg prepared with dashi, soy sauce, mirin -- my rolling was whatever lol), then carrot slivers and daikon sprouts. A dollop of spicy mayo (mayo mixed with sweet habanero Cholula) to top it off (also used on the nigiri)

The rice was very good. I had enough of all the ingredients left over that I tossed them into a bowl and also had poke on the side lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
everyone losing their poo poo at how good Joker is at cooking is one of my favorite parts of the game lmao

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm going through my skill cards, which I barely used on my initial playthrough, to shore up weaknesses on my Personas and spread around some buff skills. Trumpeter is the highest possible level nuclear Persona, and it doesn't learn Nuke Amp, which sucks because I don't have a card for that. Same for Fortuna and Wind Amp. My initial playthrough I didn't care much about having a Persona for every element, but with the new resistances that Merciless has I don't want to get put in a situation where an enemy can only be effectively hit by one element and have Joker have to spam Megidolaon or something.

Also I can confirm that the requests that gave new shop stuff on NG+ just give the repeat reward as their initial reward, like the "more armor" one gives a single medicine. It sucks too because to fight the superboss you have to do all the other requests so you have to waste time doing a quest with a crap reward. Also that means I gotta fuse up all those Personas with specific skills again since I don't know if I have the right skill cards to just cheese them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

everyone losing their poo poo at how good Joker is at cooking is one of my favorite parts of the game lmao

get him and the P4 protag in the same kitchen and run for the hills

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Oxxidation posted:

get him and the P4 protag in the same kitchen and run for the hills

New spinoff, Persona Cooking All Night? Where the Velvet Room crew makes their guests compete to prepare their best food.
The P3 gang is kind of screwed here though. Even if MC is allowed to participate despite the whole being dead thing, the best he can do is some home economics stuff. If he is unavailable, either Aigis or Fuuka will have to fill in.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cooking Persona.

Pretty sure the dancing games have dead participants in them, so I see no reason why Shinji can't participate on the part of the P3 cast. He was explicitly the best cook on their team, though IIRC Fuuka was the only truly lethal chef.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm going through my skill cards, which I barely used on my initial playthrough, to shore up weaknesses on my Personas and spread around some buff skills. Trumpeter is the highest possible level nuclear Persona, and it doesn't learn Nuke Amp, which sucks because I don't have a card for that. Same for Fortuna and Wind Amp. My initial playthrough I didn't care much about having a Persona for every element, but with the new resistances that Merciless has I don't want to get put in a situation where an enemy can only be effectively hit by one element and have Joker have to spam Megidolaon or something.

Also I can confirm that the requests that gave new shop stuff on NG+ just give the repeat reward as their initial reward, like the "more armor" one gives a single medicine. It sucks too because to fight the superboss you have to do all the other requests so you have to waste time doing a quest with a crap reward. Also that means I gotta fuse up all those Personas with specific skills again since I don't know if I have the right skill cards to just cheese them.

Trivia: Trumpeter doesn't learn Cosmic Flare. It's Mot (who also learns Nuke Amp).

The good news is that nothing is ever immune to all but one element. There are some with a lot of resistances (I think the final boss resists everything but physicals and Bless/Curse), but you'll usually have at least one party member that can do something to it, even if not well.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I made a save right before the ferris wheel decision this time around. The first time I obviously chose Ryuji and Yusuke, as that is the correct choice, but I wanted to see how the other choices went. The important and interesting thing to note is, everyone will give you Bond EXP if you ride with them...except Makoto. Whether you tell her it's a date or not, you won't get any Bond EXP. This makes Makoto the worst choice for the ferris wheel, unless you just really like her or something.

I feel like I'll go with Haru in the end, it feels most appropriate since Sapporo is pretty focused on her. I'm also kind of interested to see how the scene in Osaka is different if you pick one of the girls. If you pick the guys in Sapporo and then go to the tower with the girls, they remember how you dodged asking all of them on the ferris wheel and start demanding to know who you would have picked.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Trivia: Trumpeter doesn't learn Cosmic Flare. It's Mot (who also learns Nuke Amp).

I got two Atomic Flare skill cards though. :v: But I ended up getting Cosmic Flare from Mot and then passing it on to Trumpeter through fusion, along with Nuke Amp. There might be a way to get Wind Amp on Fortuna through fusion too, I'll have to check I guess. At the moment, Mara is the best bang for my money for PP, as he gives nearly 350k PP for about 55k yen, that's nearly twice as much as other Personas around that price range.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh god.

Oh gently caress.

I just got to Akane being a Phantom Thieves fan streamer.

Jesus I love this game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

destroy the superbosses, neko shogun

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh yeah, another P5 question. In this game it sort of seems like the Velvet Room's existence isn't known to any of the other Phantom Thieves. When you go into it in Shibuya, Morgana just says that Joker was staring into space and needs to snap out of it. When he walks off at the beginning of a later Jail, Ryuji's just like "Uh where'd you go are you okay?" I don't remember the Velvet Room being some weird unknown thing in previous Persona games, so why don't the other PTs know about it?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh yeah, another P5 question. In this game it sort of seems like the Velvet Room's existence isn't known to any of the other Phantom Thieves. When you go into it in Shibuya, Morgana just says that Joker was staring into space and needs to snap out of it. When he walks off at the beginning of a later Jail, Ryuji's just like "Uh where'd you go are you okay?" I don't remember the Velvet Room being some weird unknown thing in previous Persona games, so why don't the other PTs know about it?

In P3 they make the same joke one of the first times protag zones out near the entrance to Tartarus.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Lord Of Texas posted:

In P3 they make the same joke one of the first times protag zones out near the entrance to Tartarus.

They also make the same joke in P4. The Velvet Room has always been a strange mind space that the protagonist keeps to themself unless absolutely necessary.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah both P3 and P4 kind of imply that nobody but the protagonists know about the Velvet Room.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The really weird thing is that in P5, everyone ends up in the Velvet Room and meet Lavenza.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I can't wait for P5S Royal that lets me loving kiss Ryuji already. It's the only option that makes sense.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Which will happen first, the game letting Joker kiss Ryuji or letting Ann kiss Shiho

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

MorningMoon posted:

I can't wait for P5S Royal that lets me loving kiss Ryuji already. It's the only option that makes sense.

Better get to smooch Akechi if they do Persona 5 Strikers Royal.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Which will happen first, the game letting Joker kiss Ryuji or letting Ann kiss Shiho

Ann kiss Shiho.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in the Ferris wheel with ryuji and yusuke, when the former is grousing that joker should have brought someone he’s “into,” I imagine joker looking ryuji dead in the eye and saying “when I’m into someone, you’ll be the first to know”

or maybe he wouldn’t be, the boy ain’t bright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Futaba would probably cotton onto any Ryujimance way before Ryuji even gets a clue, she's pretty sharp on tropes.