Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hui Tai Lang
Dec 31, 2009

I love kites, but I haven't flown in a while, but now I want to get them back out.

I lived in Beijing for quite a few years and I would go hang out with the old retired guys who flew kites practically every day. at the nearby park. I ended up going to a kite market that was outside of town and bought several kites, a couple of reels, one with 1000m of line, all for 150rmb, which at the time was just under $20US. I liked them so much I bought several more and then bought a golf club travel case to bring them back with me one Christmas, although sadly I don't think anyone I gave kites to ever flew them.

Other good kiting memories (back when China was still fun), include the night kites. There was a bridge over a moat along the second ring road. On nights where there was a nice breeze, a few guys who had kites with LEDs on their lines and on their kites would meet, it was awesome watching these kites with flashing lights suspended in the dark. I had a friend from Weifang, and one of my big regrets was to never make it to the Weifang International Kite Festival there. I had a foreign friend who went and said it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU