Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hui Tai Lang posted:

Other good kiting memories (back when China was still fun), include the night kites. There was a bridge over a moat along the second ring road. On nights where there was a nice breeze, a few guys who had kites with LEDs on their lines and on their kites would meet, it was awesome watching these kites with flashing lights suspended in the dark. I had a friend from Weifang, and one of my big regrets was to never make it to the Weifang International Kite Festival there. I had a foreign friend who went and said it was amazing.

Weifang also has a kite museum as I understand it. I attempted to go by the last time I was over there, but it was closed for some reason or the other. One the same trip I did come across some old fellow flying an impressive rig on one of the Qingdao beaches. He has some massive reel that was made of of a hefty gauge of wire. The Mrs. found on on Alibaba or something and it's been out in my garage for a bit now. I've got 1000 ft of 100 lb test line on it and it could hold plenty more.

Similar to the story mentioned upthread I was flying an 11ft delta at a local park a year or two back and the crossbar snapped at altitude and full extension. drat thing landed in a tree two neighborhoods over and through some woods. I had to have her babysit the reel while I dove around to try and find it and then had her swap with me once I found it and explained to the bemused homeowner why the hell I was in their front yard. After some pulling and tugging it disoged and she disengaged the know and I reeled it back in without causing any further damage or trouble. I don't believe I've flown since, we just don't have many good places around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Big if true OP. The baby is getting bigger do I’m hoping to be able to get her in on the fun at some point soon.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s on you for not using more line and a larger spool. Common man.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

God I’d love to try fighter kites sometime. As best I can tell they basically don’t exist in the states.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So here's a bit of a hail mary. I had a 11 ft wide delta kite I was fond of for the sheer stupidity of size and ease of just tossing into the air since it was a goddam sail. However a few years ago the lateral bar whatsit snapped in half mid flight with predictable results; naturally while at full extension on a 1000ft line. It put me off flying for a few years but I've started getting the itch again and want to get it back in the air, but it was a no name I got from a now long closed kite store in ATL and I have no idea how to source a carbon fiber tube dohickey to replace it and get it back in the air. Anyone have some suggestions?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'll double check but I want to say it's slim pickings around here. Since that place in ATL closed as did the one in Charleston I don't think there is a kite shop within a 8 hour drive of here. Would be delighted to be wrong. Don't recall any FB groups either but may as well go fishing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh huh, that’s not a bad idea. I think I still have the pieces of the OG spar so I might give that a try. I also bought a tail whatsit for my smaller delta on Black Friday so I’m looking forward to messing with that.

Side note, what is the going stance on kite reels? I got one in China that is of questionable quality but built like a tank. I’m debating trying to make a better one.