Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the conga line of guys you run over in the first gta are supposed to be hare krishnas. i always thought they were like football guys or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

HORMELCHILI posted:

It says gouranga...

yeah i didnt know much about hare krishnas and only just realized it wasnt some kind of football chant or something. i thought they were footie guys on their way to a game all decked out in the same color

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixPMaQC2izM lol this made me remember how hard it was to get all 7 of the fuckers

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah i thought gouranga was like cowabunga

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

lol

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

max payne is called that because hes experiencing the maximum amount of pain. it's symbolic

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Kins posted:

in the original design for max payne, instead of the gimmick being "going into matrix slow motion" it was "injecting a drug that temporarily transforms you into a mutant hulk". but then a publishing exec pointed out that the slow motion stuff that they'd implemented for testing visual effects and stuff was way more interesting

Lol

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tato posted:

For a very long time I didn’t know that you needed to only have the 3rd level houses to max out populations in Actraiser. Still feel bad killing my people with earthquakes to get rid of the crappy houses.

Recently learned that it’s even more complex and there’s a whole bunch of crap you can do to max out growth even though it’s totally unnecessary. Stuff like never building bridges and building paths in very specific ways.

maxing it all out is a huge pain in the rear end in the western version, the japanese version is a bit better about it and is generally more fun because the action stages have more enemies

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

how many houses you can build also depends on how many points you scored in the action segments so if you really want to max out your level you have to farm enemies. the game doesnt tell you about this

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mycophobia posted:

yeah, disappointing. its a gorgeous game but it doesnt even stack up to the action portions of its predecessor

yeah i love the action portions in the first actraiser, it's kind of hard to describe but the way you move in that game feels really good, the way you can land and do a low slash at the same time

Bicyclops posted:

iirc maxing out your population doesn't extremely matter, though. you can squeeze one or two more levels out of it if you farm for points and watch for bridges, but you don't need those levels. the sim sections are mostly just there to build into areas to find new spells and other unlocks.

it's weird but when you look at sim stuff from that era like SNES sim city and counter intuitive stuff like not building roads, stacking residential areas, only building a single fire dept, etc. it's actually about par for the course.

yeah thats true but the final boss rush can be a bit poo poo without quite a bit of practice, the japanese version doesnt have this problem though and like i said has better action sections too. i heard the european version somehow has an even more different setup that sort of combines the japanese and US games but i havent tried it yet

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Kins posted:

lemmings 2 on the snes has support for the super scope, you can shoot your lemmings and they blow up

i recently tried all of the super scope games including this one (with my actual childhood scope) and it kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cubone posted:

if you go through FTL using a strategy where you target the enemy crew directly to capture their ships without relying on ship-to-ship firepower, like boarding, mind control, oxygen deprivation, etc., and you manage to take out the entire crew of the rebel flagship, the game displays a unique message telling you to go gently caress yourself

yeah it does that because normally killing the crew would just end the fight. i usually just keep 1 guy alive to prevent this