Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Springfield Fatts posted:

So Bambu (and if possible, specifically A1) owners: is the printing experience as painless and easy as the internet would have me believe?

Because the amount of waste material and time I'm having to spend to get, frankly, subpar results out of this Neptune 4 is making we want to sell it at a loss and pay for the convenience of a machine that I know will actually do the drat thing I ask of it without playing a guessing game of failures each time.

The Neptune 4 is about as easy as it gets, I would wonder if you are having specific issues with files or slicers? Or maybe just trying to run it at max speed for everything? What are some of the issues you are having with the Neptune?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my neptune 4 has been practically flawless plug and play from day 1 as well

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I was lucky enough to have one of the models that didn't remember your Z-offset even though it says it saved, chasing that ghost sucked until the error was confirmed. Then I was having failure after failure involving print head collisions which turned out to be a warped bed plate that shipped with the printer. Then after getting a second plate I was still having levelling issues, to this day if I so much as fart in the same room as it I need to do a full recalibration to get even acceptable prints, I've never seen any come out smooth as advertised. And no, I print usually at 125 - 150mms, I knew off the bat that 250+ was a pipe dream the way the thing was wobbling all over.
It's annoying as hell and I still get random x axis shifts and I don't the trust the machine to be alone and just print. I feel like I have to constantly monitor it for some new gently caress up it's about to commit.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

has anyone got a source of some coin stls? i want to print a bunch of coins for frostgrave to represent players treasure. thinking various sizes, with the denomination on the coin (5, 10, 25, 100, etc.). i thought about whipping up my own in solidworks but thought surely someone must have done this already. i did a quick google and couldnt find anything that fit the bill

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

has anyone got a source of some coin stls? i want to print a bunch of coins for frostgrave to represent players treasure. thinking various sizes, with the denomination on the coin (5, 10, 25, 100, etc.). i thought about whipping up my own in solidworks but thought surely someone must have done this already. i did a quick google and couldnt find anything that fit the bill

There is usually a million things like that on Thingverse for free.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Yeah, there are tons, much harder to find ones of real money.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Printables has absolute shitgobs of them, though a lot of them are bitcoin-related garbage (but may still be useful to you)

https://www.printables.com/search/models?q=coin

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Honestly, I’m not sure printing that makes sense. Coins are hard shapes to print.

If I were doing that, I’d try to hunt down a set of coins from a cheap currency that look cool, since coins are somewhat hilariously always the cheapest source of small round circular objects. There are also tons of cheap toy coins on Amazon or Ali Express.

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

Unchained Games on MMF has a ton of weird looking fantasy coins for sale that could fit the bill!

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/UnchainedGames/collection/fantasy-coins

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

forkis posted:

Unchained Games on MMF has a ton of weird looking fantasy coins for sale that could fit the bill!

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/UnchainedGames/collection/fantasy-coins

ah these are really excellent and basically what i was looking for. i found tons of free lazy token type printables, but THIS is the type of poo poo i really wanted!

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Honestly, I’m not sure printing that makes sense. Coins are hard shapes to print.

If I were doing that, I’d try to hunt down a set of coins from a cheap currency that look cool, since coins are somewhat hilariously always the cheapest source of small round circular objects. There are also tons of cheap toy coins on Amazon or Ali Express.

i thought about this, but i'd probably print them SLA so they turn out nice. alternatively, i was considering some sort of dial marker type thing with treasure chests on them that the players can collect. i just want some visual representation of "look how much treasure we've got!" since thats a big part of Frostgrave

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I printed some Imperial Credits for a Star Wars game I play in, then finished them with rub n' buff. They turned out pretty good, but I'd rather have metal ones.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I only print in resin and PLA. Is there a material for fdm printers that is dense, like clay poker chips? The heft of currency is a thing I like and preventing me from printing out custom game things.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

I printed some Imperial Credits for a Star Wars game I play in, then finished them with rub n' buff. They turned out pretty good, but I'd rather have metal ones.

id strike my own coinage but engraving is a pain in the rear end and i dont have a mill or cnc router. printing plastic will have to suffice

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I only print in resin and PLA. Is there a material for fdm printers that is dense, like clay poker chips? The heft of currency is a thing I like and preventing me from printing out custom game things.

leaving a cavity for a steel insert is probably the easiest way to do this. it's how i base my miniatures generally. i do a ~2 mm thick square base (depending on the ruleset, something like 40x40 or so) and leave space for a 5 cent piece to be CA glued in afterward

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

finally got around to putting some paint on these dungeon block tiles. they take paint pretty well. surprised how good the detail holds up in fdm, im used to printing sla everything. only place it's not great is stuff like the water, and the beds kinda. but even the beds look dece

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
drat, nice work!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

IncredibleIgloo posted:

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

leaving a cavity for a steel insert is probably the easiest way to do this. it's how i base my miniatures generally. i do a ~2 mm thick square base (depending on the ruleset, something like 40x40 or so) and leave space for a 5 cent piece to be CA glued in afterward

I do this but with lead pellets. This may not be useful for printing coin-sized objects, but more generally if I want to weight a base or whatever.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This is the dogshit I'm talking about with this printer. Relevel everything, do a print bed test, run off one set of bases no problem. Reprint the exact same file and get this result.

Good for people who say my Neptune 4 just works, but this loving thing has been a struggle since day one and really soured me on the FDM experience.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

In case anyone hasnt seen this, I just heard about prisma-cast and am pretty blown away
https://archon-studio.com/blog/prismacast-a-revelation-in-rpg-terrain-market

Essentially, some studio artist paints a sprue, then they 3d scan the paintjob and print it onto copies of that srpue.

I have to imagine there are some limitations here in shape, but this seems like a massive deal that Id love to see come to 3dprinting. Its probably tied up in a ton of patents though

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

In case anyone hasnt seen this, I just heard about prisma-cast and am pretty blown away

Essentially, some studio artist paints a sprue, then they 3d scan the paintjob and print it onto copies of that srpue.

I have to imagine there are some limitations here in shape, but this seems like a massive deal that Id love to see come to 3dprinting. Its probably tied up in a ton of patents though

this the type of poo poo ive been dying to see for time now

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

w00tmonger posted:

Hoooooly poo poo that is a clever idea. Love it. Seems like an obvious application in retrospect.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

is the tech just a UV printer and a 3d scanner? I IMMEDIATLY want to start doing this for my own shop with my own paintjobs

I feel like the main "tech" here would be printing around curved surfaces, which I have to imagine would mean doing multiple passes over the surface at different angles

Initially spotted it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE67MJOgL4I

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

w00tmonger posted:

is the tech just a UV printer and a 3d scanner? I IMMEDIATLY want to start doing this for my own shop with my own paintjobs

It sure looks like it! Instead of putting logos or photos on a plate full of golf balls or pens or cell phone cases, it's "painting" a terrain sheet. Pretty loving clever!

Also I continue my dumb fixation on Culture In Dungeon (working title)

Keeps getting smaller, and I think this is where it'll land, size-wise.

But now I have to figure out a way to hang/mount/whatever the damned things! :thunk:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Eyes Have It posted:

It sure looks like it! Instead of putting logos or photos on a plate full of golf balls or pens or cell phone cases, it's "painting" a terrain sheet. Pretty loving clever!

But now I have to figure out a way to hang/mount/whatever the damned things! :thunk:

Tweezers for itty bitty paintings, huh? You're one tweed jacket and a pipe away from making a ship in a bottle at this rate.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

Interesting. I guess it's the wraparound Im wondering about. If this had any chance of working for 3d prints consistently I'd jump on this.

Definitely the moment theres a6 axis 3d scanner/printer round stuff but there's no chance that's in the pipe

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

The Eyes Have It posted:

These are pretty cool. For hanging them, something low tech like blutac or even just double sided tape would work, no?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

w00tmonger posted:

I feel like the main "tech" here would be printing around curved surfaces, which I have to imagine would mean doing multiple passes over the surface at different angles

Seems like that is still a limiting factor. If you look at those lanterns on the posts, there is a line along the part line that is still bare plastic/base color.

It feels like Archon just made a really convoluted way to do tampos. If the sprue is 3d assets, why do you need a painter to paint the masters and scan it? I guarantee there are plenty of environment artists that would love to have any kind of work right now that would likely be able to do a similar job with fewer steps.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hmm they are lightweight so a little blob of blutack probably goes a long way.

I'm sort of thinking of them like a different type of scatter terrain, so I guess I was trying to think of something low/no maintenance. Maybe a little easel? Hmm maybe blutack is the way to go.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

poo poo, if I had something like that going on I'd try to find a way to make one of them a plot point. Haunted painting that changes slightly every session says what? At the very least a treasure map on a flip side to kick something off.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh poo poo, I like that. Gotta print a tiny map to put on the back :parrot:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Oh, you gotta get like, two or three of the same picture. Only, they're not the same, there's a subtle difference between them (like the eyes are looking a different way, or different facial hair on a portrait), and swap them around. Bonus points if you do that mid-game, like during a food break while no one else is looking.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Springfield Fatts posted:

This is the dogshit I'm talking about with this printer. Relevel everything, do a print bed test, run off one set of bases no problem. Reprint the exact same file and get this result.

Good for people who say my Neptune 4 just works, but this loving thing has been a struggle since day one and really soured me on the FDM experience.

It's possible the leveling knobs are vibrating during the first print and loosening, taking the bed out of level. I had that happen with one knob, and I followed the goon suggestions to wrap some thread tape on the threads of all of them, and it has been steady as a rock.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Aniodia posted:

Oh, you gotta get like, two or three of the same picture. Only, they're not the same, there's a subtle difference between them (like the eyes are looking a different way, or different facial hair on a portrait), and swap them around. Bonus points if you do that mid-game, like during a food break while no one else is looking.

Have portraits expressing a variety of emotions, use them to react to the party's decisions and actions :hmmyes:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ive had some mild stringing on most of my prints but it hasnt really been enough for me to do anything about. its generally very minimal and unobtrusive and easy to pick off. but whew these cell tiles i printed look absolutely terrible. beyond the effort i want to put into cleaning them up. i tried cleaning the nozzle (its immaculate now) and also checked the retraction settings and they seem to be within typical guidelines. im using elegoo filament, with elegoo cura settings on my neptune 4. any suggestions on what other settings to tweak to clean this up? id rather not just start fiddling with random poo poo and there seems to be so many suggestions on what to do after checking retraction settings on the internet

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just by the shape of those fence things it's going to be a bit of a torture test for your setup as far as stringing. Temp towers might clean some of it up.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

My tax return will be coming in soon and it's time to upgrade to a proper cleaner instead of hand washing resin prints in a little plastic tub of IPA. Are there any standouts in the resin cleaning machines, any to avoid? Or are they generally all the same and it's just a matter of which one is currently priced the lowest?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I use the Anycubic wash-and-cure station and it seems to work fine.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

You should still use a pickle bucket or two first so you don't use up good IPA as quick

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I concur with keeping a first stage bucket for initial rinse, it helps keep the IPA in the cleaning machine cleaner for longer.

As for the wash station itself, it can depend on your printer. When I print things that would be so small they would fall through the mesh or the buckets I prefer to wash still attached to the plate, so if you want to do the same then getting the matching wash station might be a good idea. You can get one that has a single base that has both wash and cure, like the Anycubic one, I got that one for my sister, but I didn't like it as much as having two dedicated bases/units. Although if you are space constrained it has the advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011
Sharing some Battletech/Mechwarrior 4 mechs printed on my local library's Prusa Mini: everything but the Atlas (grey and green humanoid mech) are FDM printed, some my design others by Orangastang on Thingiverse. I've been extracting them from Mechwarrior 4 game files and detailing them in Blender and 3D Builder before printing.

These are the gladiators from the Solaris Arena in MW4:Mercs if you can place them.