Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Southern Heel posted:

Sorry to bother you all - but what does this indicate I've got set wrong?

Adhesion is fine and generally haven't had this problem before, but maybe I bumped something.

Are those raised, ridged sections? If so are you printing that thing solid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

bird food bathtub posted:

Might get more and more experienced eyes on FDM in the other thread, this one tends to be a bit more resin-printer heavy though there is a lot of overlap.

At a guess it looks like under-extrusion but I am not an FDM guru.

There's another thread?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Lumpy posted:

There's another thread?

Heh, there's a DIY forum! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973815

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

How many top layers are you using? Large flat surfaces like that tend to want more then smaller more detailed models. I usually use at least 4 or 5, maybe 6 with something like that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

that picture looks like you're using a really low percentage square/zigzag infill pattern, which the top layer is having trouble bridging. Cranking that up so the filament is being pulled across many smaller gaps instead of having to make it like an inch across to the next infill line would probably solve your problem. more top layers, as stated above, would also help with this

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you and great points! I think you might be right about the infill being too low - I deliberately cracked it down because I was printing lots of items that had variable top surfaces - but that explains it perfectly.

Thank you also for the link to the other thread

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

If this is the wrong place for this please delete, but I am looking to buy my first FDM printer and trying to choose which would be good for toy design. I already have two resin printers and I am looking for a less toxic option. Not that I am unhappy with the resin. It's just my current living situation doesn't really allow it.

So my brother recommends the Bambu P1P but I was also eyeing this for Phrozen Arco x1 around the same price on kickstarter.

Any thoughts? I know the Bambu is pretty solid according to my brother, so would there be any advantage to getting the Phrozen?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
My friend got a sovol sv06 fdm printer and I've been impressed at the stuff he's churned out.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

Any thoughts? I know the Bambu is pretty solid according to my brother, so would there be any advantage to getting the Phrozen?

The Phrozen is supposedly faster, and is bigger. But buying a kickstarter printer is signing up to be a beta tester. And every fdm printer has hardware/software growing pains early on.

With a P1P you know it'll work, tons of people have them, you can order one and have it delivered within days, and there's a healthy community of prints, tools, and help surrounding it.
With the Arco x1, nobody except youtubers that get cherry-picked/binned machines that are tested ahead of time will know how it is in use for the next couple of months.

I'd only really consider it if you either absolutely want a fast xy, 300^3 printer with Klipper, and that's your primary concern. I really can't suggest gambling on a 3D printer first-run-preorder otherwise.
If you go for something on the market, a P1P or a Elegoo Neptune 4 (pro? Can't remember which is the newer one with input shaping) or something would be a great place to start.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Not to mention if you go for the Arco, you'll be waiting at least 6 months for it (they're only shipping them to their warehouses in July). If you're waiting that long, you might as well wait to see if Bambu releases a new model by then too.

Personally I'm hoping on a new CoreXY with the quick change nozzles they've introduced with the A series printers.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Chiming in yet again to say that when I was looking for my first FDM not too long. ago, the thread recommended a Neptune 4 Pro and I have been exceedingly happy with it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Lumpy posted:

Chiming in yet again to say that when I was looking for my first FDM not too long. ago, the thread recommended a Neptune 4 Pro and I have been exceedingly happy with it.

My dodgy infill not withstanding (see previous post about gridlines) - I have found the Neptune 4 pro to be pretty spectacular once you tune your settings. I understand that’s pretty much par of course for all FDM printers!

Coming from a resin printing background, I assumed the build plate would be massive, but I think in retrospect I would’ve gone for bigger if I could.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks for all the help guys! My brother has been 3d printing for almost 20 years and he owns 4 bambus so it is safe to say he knows what he is talking about. He had a phrozen at one point but is more of a fan of the bambus.

The Neptune 4 pro looks good. Certainly a LOT cheaper, but also is slower (?) What is Klipper exactly? Sorry if that is a stupid question.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 24, 2024

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Klipper is just a standard firmware that, short version, allows for a lot of micro-calibrations that lets you print fast as gently caress.

Printers to consider:
1. Anything from Bambu
2. Neptune 4 pro/plus/max
3. Prusa MK4

Never buy a printer from a kickstarter. Ever.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
But if no one did Bambu wouldn't exist.

I'll also chime in that the Neptune 4 is... fine. Honestly I wish I'd ponyed up more for a Bambu A1.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sockser posted:

Klipper is just a standard firmware that, short version, allows for a lot of micro-calibrations that lets you print fast as gently caress.

Printers to consider:
1. Anything from Bambu
2. Neptune 4 pro/plus/max
3. Prusa MK4

Never buy a printer from a kickstarter. Ever.

Ah. This helps. The local makerspace has a Prusa and others swear by them but I think I am going to take my brother's advice on this one... although the Neptune 4 pro is almost a third of the price of Bambu P1P in some places...

Can this website be trusted?

Looks kinda sketch given their front page has nothing to do with 3d printers

Prices seem too good to be true.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 24, 2024

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Yeah don't buy that lol

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
If you ever find yourself asking this:

sigma 6 posted:

Can this website be trusted? Prices seem too good to be true.

The answer is always "no, it cannot be trusted"

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So I've gone from just having a anycubic Mono X to having 2 additional elegoo saturn S's. I've decided I'm sending a saturn S + wash and cure to a buddy and I'd like to upgrade.

I'm looking seriously at the uniformation GK Two. I've seen a few good review videos but wanted to also see what other people's opinions are or if there is another good quality printer I should look at.
I largely print models, squads for tabletop games

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

GK Two is, by all accounts I've seen, a fantastic machine.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It looks really good. I like the hinged cover a lot. Where are you printing? It seems like a lot of the cost is probably for the heater element, otherwise it seems close to less expensive machines. If the heater is a need, I would say go for it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I finished up my 6 hordes of Stormdrain Vermin! (shocktroops) for kings of war - I like batch painting, so did these 80 guys in 2 batches of 40, starting just after xmas. The bases I modeled in blender and printed on my Ender 3.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Grey Hunter posted:

I finished up my 6 hordes of Stormdrain Vermin! (shocktroops) for kings of war - I like batch painting, so did these 80 guys in 2 batches of 40, starting just after xmas. The bases I modeled in blender and printed on my Ender 3.

Love an ostentatious base! Take it kings of war doesn’t do model-line-of-sight then

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

RUM hack posted:

Love an ostentatious base! Take it kings of war doesn’t do model-line-of-sight then

Nope, it's done off a set unit height

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I've picked up a few larger vehicles that come as multi-part models lately and I decided I needed something that could fit inside hollowed prints for final curing. I wanted something that would allow me to utilize small drain holes and easily swap out LEDs when they inevitably get gunked up. A small JST connector is a perfect fit and I've never soldered anything before but I got a 50 pack of 3mm 405nm UV LEDs I can jam inside the prints now.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So I've gone from just having a anycubic Mono X to having 2 additional elegoo saturn S's. I've decided I'm sending a saturn S + wash and cure to a buddy and I'd like to upgrade.

I'm looking seriously at the uniformation GK Two. I've seen a few good review videos but wanted to also see what other people's opinions are or if there is another good quality printer I should look at.
I largely print models, squads for tabletop games

It hasn't been released yet so who knows how good it actually is, but Phrozen has their Sonic Mighty Revo coming out in a couple months, and the feature list certainly sounds good. High resolution (14K, 10.1" screen), automatic leveling, built-in resin heater, exhaust hose that you can run out of a window to reduce fumes, preordering for $1K right now. Phrozen seems to have a good reputation overall so maybe it'll be a contender in the high-end printer space.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Hey, so, kind of unique issue with my Mars 2 pro - it just doesn't turn on. It was working fine last night, turned it off at the wall for the usual power saving and fire avoidance reasons, then came back this morning and... nothing. The screen doesn't even turn on. I've established it's not the power cable because the wash-and-cure turns on fine and swapping to that power cable doesn't help. Any suggestions..?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

spectralent posted:

Hey, so, kind of unique issue with my Mars 2 pro - it just doesn't turn on. It was working fine last night, turned it off at the wall for the usual power saving and fire avoidance reasons, then came back this morning and... nothing. The screen doesn't even turn on. I've established it's not the power cable because the wash-and-cure turns on fine and swapping to that power cable doesn't help. Any suggestions..?

It's the power bar, or the motherboard.

I'd contact elegoo and they'll probably cover it if you bought that thing in the last year. If it's the adapter you may be able to get a cheap replacement, but if the machine itself is hooched you could probably source the part for <$50

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 5, 2024

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I followed up an idea that I had rattling around in my head lately.

1. Why must scatter terrain be so humdrum? Boxes, barrels, etc?
2. Why shouldn't dungeons have art?
:thunk:

I need to scale them down, though. The scale is a little big but otherwise I'm pretty happy!

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 9, 2024

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i think that's really neat. it makes me wanna put to use that stack of magic cards i'm not gonna use again

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks, I've been thinking of making and selling scatter terrain and figured I should try making something new and different. Always had a soft spot for miniature versions of things so it's right up my alley.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i still can't figure out why my ender pro three sets the z axis so high :argh:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

crossposting from the other thread, this blew my mind lol

queeb posted:

some dude i sent a bunch of boats to just sent me pics of them after he painted them up for a game hes running, thought you guys would get a kick out of it:

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Grey Hunter posted:

I finished up my 6 hordes of Stormdrain Vermin! (shocktroops) for kings of war - I like batch painting, so did these 80 guys
Nice rats man. I too just finished almost a hundred rats.

Except I need to print one more base of them because I tried one set with embossed flag patterns and I hated it, and the other one was the test colors piece and I lost my extra I printed. Oh well. At least I wrote down my painting notes clearly.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 12, 2024

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

queeb posted:

crossposting from the other thread, this blew my mind lol

That rips, always nice to see someone painting up poo poo you've sold

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm partway to creating a dungeon art gallery playset, lol.

I made my dungeon paintings smaller, but I think I need to go smaller still...?

These are OK as main pieces, but to make "Kobolds playing poker" suitable to stick on an inn's wall I'll need to get pretty teeny tiny. Like 10c postage stamp size.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Or start playing with 55mm scale minis and terrain.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Or start playing with 55mm scale minis and terrain.

:hmmyes: pro move right here

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
So Bambu (and if possible, specifically A1) owners: is the printing experience as painless and easy as the internet would have me believe?

Because the amount of waste material and time I'm having to spend to get, frankly, subpar results out of this Neptune 4 is making we want to sell it at a loss and pay for the convenience of a machine that I know will actually do the drat thing I ask of it without playing a guessing game of failures each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Springfield Fatts posted:

So Bambu (and if possible, specifically A1) owners: is the printing experience as painless and easy as the internet would have me believe?

Because the amount of waste material and time I'm having to spend to get, frankly, subpar results out of this Neptune 4 is making we want to sell it at a loss and pay for the convenience of a machine that I know will actually do the drat thing I ask of it without playing a guessing game of failures each time.

i run a 3d print farm as a business and have 9 p1ps and an A1 right now and literally have like a 99% success rate, print fails are basically a non issue, unless its been like months since i've cleaned a bed on one and it needs a scrub. ive maybe had like 2 clogs in that same timeframe