Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Are there any paid STL providers that have particularly good/bad stuff? I know we were eschewing print things that are basically just ripping off 40k etc. but I want to know about the cool new creative sculpts people are making.

I don't really have the space now but once I move into the new spot later this year I'm going to try and set up a printer farm and start with 1 but maybe expand to 2 or more FDM printers (I'm super leery on the smell/noxious fumes that SLA gives off). I'd like to have them going printing out neat things useful for miniatures gaming.

I'd also like to see if there are any other accessories that might make sense for someone just getting into things. I came across the Youtube channel 3D Printed Tabletop awhile ago and while the dude has taken breaks he is finding his groove on content creation and put up a really great video on free-ish projects to help get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVZXG0fxTl0

I particularly like the beer stein holder for water bottles / cans. Whenever I start hosting again I would love to make coasters and other game component trays + containers for more complex board games like TI4 and such as well as minis, dice towers, status markers etc.

How durable are prints to use when building other things with them? I'm thinking like 3D printing boxes with pin hinges that would be great for a tiny game parts storage chest, or angle brackets to hold up small miniature display shelves. I've seen other examples where people made coat hangers and stuff, so perhaps it might make sense to make 3D printed things for, I dunno, making an actual full on piece of gaming furniture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
One of the things I have also been noticing in the "subscription STL" space is that there are creators making stuff on a regular basis and you can get access to the library if you subscribe on Patreon or whatnot. I unfortunately do not know any specific ones, just that I've heard them mentioned.

I'd love to see more tutorials or build logs that are hobby-specific or just cool 3D printed results for screenshots like the sci-fi tower. I'm particularly interested in modular terrain (dungeon tiles, multi-level scenery, etc) and scatter terrain to put onto an already existing hex grid, but also any game specific things. I think part of what I struggle with a bit is "just what kinds of things can I print, since I can theoretically print anything that I can think of"?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So, in a happenstance, someone near me is selling four Flashforge Creator Pro units with spare nozzles at 250 per printer, so I'm considering just diving in and buying all 4. With the initial outlay comparable to buying a Prusa i3 but with a larger build quantity per rotation, should there be any considerations for operating at scale? Do a test print of a model on every printer before scaling up production?

I could see this potentially being useful to build a large amount of terrain in a fairly short amount of time. Scatter terrain and reconfigurable snap terrain will be pretty good to print, but in watching more videos I notice that the main issues seem to stem from printing too much in one pass or low temperature causing nozzles to jam, particularly towards the end of a print.

Anyway:

- is this a good deal, or should i chill? MSRP on this unit is about 1000 USD, so it's 75% off
- any pitfalls for just going into the deep end with these things
- what are things to build a bunch of that are useful

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Yeah, I'm gonna spring for it (I think I'm getting 5 instead of 4 printers as a result). I'll have 1 or 2 setup (that's all I have space for) and the rest will go into the garage or storage until I have the new space ready later this year.

Interesting thing about the gluesticks, there was a mention of PEI sheets and there were no issues with adhesion, so it sounds like I'll have some time to futz about with the test prints.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Any specific filament brand, etc. to use? I think I want the durability and price per unit isn't a huge deal at the moment since I'm not trying to scale up for selling stuff on Etsy or whatnot (maybe in the future if I have enough to make a print farm at this rate).

Also, I know this is purely for vanity purposes, but I think once I do get everything setup I'd like to have a 24/7 feed to keep an eye on the prints and to do cool timelapse videos of something being created out of a piece of plastic silly string.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The main series of projects that I’d like to do are probably in 3 or so categories:

- Ready to use 28mm play aids, so scatter terrain, objective and status markers, minis of different colors to be ready to use as soon as they’re cleaned up to put at the table without needing a paint job (but could, if one so chose), and so on

- Table experience enhancers like organization trays, dice towers, coasters or drink holders, push sticks for moving around fiddly bits, and so on

- Tools to help enable more complex 3D printing and general organizational stuff. Tool organizers and organizational boxes for bits, brackets and spool dispensers, making another 3d printer or making replacement parts for existing ones, and other various upgrades

I’d also like to figure out a way to translate a 2d image or set of images that I have to 3d models that I can then go to 3d print. I’d like to see if there are existing workflows to turn something like a simple token from that 2d image into a 3d model with selective stylistic embossing. The key thing here is using the source image as opposed to creating the whole thing from scratch in Blender or some such.

I don’t know what the market is like for creating and selling these kinds of things and even though I’m going in hot with five (another one is getting thrown in) mid to high end 3d printers, I suspect that after I get used to the technology I’m going to want to make it work for me in order to recapture some of the cost. To that end, I’m curious about what people will actually pay for as opposed to what people put up for sale on Etsy as well and somewhere down the line make useful stuff for those wider audiences.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Alright, 3d printers acquired, and I ordered a couple of spools of filament and replacement nozzles so I can get one of the printers started. I was recommended by the previous owner to pick up Simplify3D as it's a good program and they can send over their specific profiles for it for a slicer, so I guess for a paid doohickey it is better at doing stuff over Cura or other things out there? Anybody have any experience with this stuff?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2646818

Try this calibration model out for size?

Test calibration is moving along but I might just start printing stuff and see how it goes. 0.1 layer height is somewhat disastrous. 0.2 is mediocre. Trying 0.3 layer height now at 215C with 25mm/s speed and we'll see if I can print one of these drat cats without any noticeable blemishes in the corners.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Alright, digging into the weeds more I can see you can buy STL files and then get a license for rights to sell them but it's not standardized thing. I found a great scatter terrain crowdfunding thing on MyMiniFactory by way of Gaminggeek's Youtube channel that is exactly in my wheelhouse for what I would like to print:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr5pS-4WMmM
https://www.myminifactory.com/crowdfunding/fantastic-plants-and-rocks-vol-2-148

This plus the Patreon above and others means that you can end up with a lot of things to print very quickly, it seems.

On the craft side, so far I have found that printing multiple things at once produces a little better results than printing one thing at once, so I'm going to try an experiment where I print out multiple CaliCats to see if they're not going to suffer from overheating. Since the issue is with the PLA not cooling fast enough after being deposited on the bed, I suspect this may get some okayish results. I did a test print of a cable spool and it turned out great, and I suspect it's due to printing both sides at once instead of just the one side at 100% scale. 212C at 25mm/s with 0.3 layer height on the Flashforge Creator Pro.

I was poking around on Reddit and saw that for 3D minis you may want to consider a couple of things to help making the finishing process a bit easier (and terrain too):

- Heat gun or portable torch to clear away stringing or to correct bridging issues
- A 3D finisher compound like XTC 3D or just a thinned out coat of poly brushed on, then sanded (for priming)
- Any other type of filler putty that can be applied with a working time of more than instant (useful for long continuous surfaces like walls of various sorts)
- Filler primer (can obscure details but also helps hide imperfections)
- Many, many of the regular tools that minis prep normally would have like files, nippers, etc. + sanding sticks of various grits

I figure if I can get something printing to spec with the 0.4 nozzle I have on this thing I won't need to switch to a 0.2 nozzle unless I start really diving into the more esoteric bits of trying to tinker endlessly with this thing. I feel like I'm just a few more steps away from getting table-side prints that will look 3D printed, but otherwise be highly serviceable.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Is there any resin printer that actually can be used safely in living compartments or does it all have to be somewhere isolated and ventilated and then handled with nitrile gloves and a buncha safety equipment? I see there are plenty of advantages for SLA prints in the 3d minis space but it also seems like there is a lot of hassle and waste for resin printers.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Trying Voodoo Stones (all six of them pre-supported) from this terrain mega pack I bought. At 0.2mm with 30% infill the estimate is 17 hours. I just got through a 32 hour print (by mistake, forgot to turn off supports) so I'm hoping by around tomorrow mid-day I'll have myself some ROCKS

Also, I would like a recommendation for containers for gaming stuff. Are there any good ones out there?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm thinking I want some nifty small and medium scale scatter terrain sized for 28mm. These Voodoo Stones that I'm printing will be a good start to see what the printer is capable of, and for the moment I am doing the 'top layer hack' by making the thing think it's printing all top layers. I dunno how it will turn out, necessarily, but I'm interested to see if it will produce something interesting.

I did get a bit overzealous on cooling during printing the brim and that curled up a bit but settled back down after I turned down the external fans. I'm hoping that these things will be cool and neat, and I guess if not, continue tinkering with this profile and doing a silly amount of prints at once instead of trying to do test prints of single objects.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Anybody use this 3D XTC stuff to smooth out minis? It's a two-part filler epoxy that you sand to a matte finish after about 3 hours. It looks like it can remove the striations from FDM printing pretty well and the price isn't that bad? I'm also looking at other ways to finish PLA models. I did print out these voodoo stones at 100% infill by doing the top layer hack and it worked out okay but I do want to see what I can do to further improve the print itself, and also probably print it with less infill. I suspect that if the external shell is a bit thicker than default settings, I can get some positive results, and pre-supported the bottoms can be sanded down while still achieving pretty decent results.

I also looked at some other finishing methods including dry/wet sanding, applying polyurethane in a thin coat (same principle more or less as a thin epoxy finish like XTC), and something new, annealing, which also has a side effect of strengthening but shrinking models. Since none of these models are going to be used for any type of critical work but are going to be roughly handled and stored, I suspect getting some test batches ready then annealing them by just popping them into the oven for an hour at low temperature may have some interesting results.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
What resin are you using, and could you elaborate more on this setup? I do want to pick up a resin printer and MyMiniFactory has a deal for premium subscribers on getting a 4k or mini Phrozen, but since I'm in an apartment with pets I'm super leery about any toxic chems and such to the point where I don't even run my airbrush inside.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The AC has been busted at my apartment since Tuesday so I have been holding off on printing anything, but I did get one of those magnetic spring steel sheets that you can just pop prints off of as well as a bunch of new PLA and HTPLA to print ABS-like parts without ABS-like fumes. Just gotta get the bed re-leveled and then we'll be in business!

I also am probably going to break out another 3d printer from the garage and then start getting that set up and online, then begin test prints with that for PLA only. I may need to service or replace the nozzle, but I got spare PTFE tubing and at least one more nozzle that's brand new.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So, I have four or five FDM printers that I am planning to get up and running (or sell) and I'm wondering what would be good to create for different kinds of props to use at the gaming table that aren't strictly just containers and minis. Since the majority of what I do at the moment is online, I have been craving adding an actual physical component back into it to better represent the kind of gameplay that I want to present and experience. Part of that I think is some kind of camera rig to use, but I'm wondering what other related 3d-printable stuff that I can make that can help in service to that 'combining physical and virtual space' thing that I'm angling towards. Is this crazy talk, or are there any items which might be useful for that (camera rigging aside)?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm selling off the Flashforge printers that I have and looking to pick up a single FDM printer to print mostly terrain with out of PLA. I'd like a larger bed to work with and something fairly lower maintenance, but I don't mind building the thing, so a Prusa MK3 or similar. I still don't really want to mess with resins in my home space, even in the garage. Suggestions?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

w00tmonger posted:

My Prusa mk3s has been fantastic but cost a bunch, my ender 3 has been fantastic, cost less, but I had to fiddle with it a ton and upgrade it.

Recommend both, but honestly just get the prusa if you can afford it. It has all the bells and whistles that you'd probably want with the ender, but with none of the overhead of making it work

The MK3S+ kit is probably what I'll go with. I was looking at the Lulzbot TAZ but I don't expect I'll be extruding with huge filament diameters any time soon, and even if I did, the MK3S+ could likely handle it.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So, I pulled the trigger for a Prusa MK3S+ kit, so I'm gonna have fun with that. I think that what I'm probably going to investigate doing is figuring out how to build frames and armatures to print out that I can slap cardstock or foamboard onto in order to make custom dividers for storage containers like board game inserts, terrain pieces, that kind of thing. Until I have a dedicated space its own proper ventilation I will always remain pretty leery about resin 3D printing, like a fully separate workshop space (someday).

Does anybody have any recommendations for generic modular STLs that can be used for a variety of terrain purposes?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Wow, the MK3S+ arrived quick. Way faster than the Prusament filament that I ordered previously! I'll have to get crackin' on the assembly sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Has anybody had particularly good success with these all in one 3D-print-and-play tabletop games at all? I’m thinking of stuff that I’ve seen that are like, skirmish level games and you print out the factions a la carte and the like, but I’m sure there are other print and play things out there like board games and such. I’m not actually sure what to search for in order to find these things and if they’re in places other than MMF and the like.