Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

im doing a bit of searching now, but i'm curious if anyone has any experience with full colour printing. like material jetting, hero forge et. al. style. i know about the xyz and it looks okay, but is there anything else out there for the consumer right now? or on the horizon? like if i had, i dunno, a $5k budget, what would my options look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

SubNat posted:

Ah yeah, Dungeonblocks are rad.
I'm also kind of amazed at how fast they're rolling them out, they have a crowdfunder/frontier on MMF with 90-100+ pieces every couple of months it seems.

Very satisfying to build, but I wouldn't know where to start with what should be in a starter set, considering the variety of pieces even in the Dungeon one.
(4 3x3s, a border, then just a couple walls, corners, and flats? I guess you could find a decent bunch you could print on 2 P1/X1 plates.)
I really like that they're scaled a bit up compared to a classic 25mm grid, they can actually fit a mini on the tiles, even if there's some stuff (like a bench) present.

One thing I feel is missing are inverted corners for the frames I suppose, but you can get a ton out of 6 or more 3x3 frames.
(Excuse the unfinished salamander.)

holy poo poo. awesome. i floated the idea of using openlock dungeon tiles for frostgrave but between the material requirement and the finnickyness of snap locks and/or magnets i was put off. not to mention the classic "is a wall on a tile or a separate tile?" problem. these look to solve all but material requirement (which admittedly isn't really all that much a problem, just an investment)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i just played around in a slicer and wow does fdm take forever compared to sla. at least modern sla with an lcd screen. material is about half the price of resin and build plates are larger on average... but that build time.

if i wanted to print a whole fuckload of those dungeon blocks, would it be worth getting an fdm printer? i have a saturn 4k right now

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Lumpy posted:

I have an FDM arriving on Wednesday, and it's going to be my "just print stuff every day while I work" machine since I don't have to clean things, cure things, wear protective gear to take a pint off and start a new one. The trade off for "slow" is "easy" (for some values of easy) for terrain. And now apparently Dungeon Blocks, because those look super cool.

yeah. word. okay yeah i think that trade is worth it.

queeb posted:

My p1p is pretty drat fast, can rip out 10 tiles in like 4 hours. I have 7 of them so I can bang out a ton fast.

They look great in FDM which is nice

:kstare:

lol k well i wont be buying 7 of those much as id like and even just 1 is a bit pricey for my budget atm but what else is good on the market? ender 3 i saw mentioned and have heard of in the past as well. good pick?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Springfield Fatts posted:

I dunno, my Neptune 4 I've had for a month has been a real pain in the rear end to deal with. Easy to set up but tough to get printing reliably, I've been whining in the other 3d print thread about it for a while and burned through half a spool trying to get one goddamn print right and even then there was a pretty bad z-wobble mid-print but at that point I said gently caress it and fixed it in post. There's also some firmware issues I've seen on the discord while trying to diagnose tied to these being the first Klipper based printers for the company that they may have rushed out the door before being fully baked.

Off topic, how do people dispose of their resin bottles? I've got like 6 laying around and don't exactly want to cut them open to cure the resin inside.

gah really? cause yeah there's a neptune 3 pro near me for sale. looks dece and i have enough experience with elegoo equipment now to know it's good. have had like 6 or 7 of their machines now

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Lumpy posted:

It never fails. I ask for advise here about a thing, and people say "Get an X!" so I order an X, but before my X arrives, someone posts "Oh man, I hate my X and I never have anything but trouble". :ohdear:

lol yep. however i think, from here and other reviews, the neptune 3 is solid at the price point

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Kylaer posted:

I guess now I have to learn how to paint.

loving hate this part. full colour printing cant come soon enough

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

tehsid posted:

Double post but just working on the test colouring of my Mordhiem terrain. All airbrush and about 30 minutes total.

Contract paint and a good Zenethal undercoat made it all so easy.

*Edit*
And the final table

:allears:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

they're illegal as toys. i get them from mcmaster carr for work all the time

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the dungeon blocks guys just dropped their city tiles release and holy poo poo am i hype. this system is excellent. my gf got me a neptune 4 for christmas but im waiting til then to open it lol. dying to get printing stuff for frostgrave

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

got an elegoo neptune 4 pro for christmas. fired up the calibrator and then printed the boat thing and the white pla it came with, worked right out of the box. beautiful. straight to printing dungeon blocks

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the fans are insanely loud tho. do i need to have these things blowing at max speed at all times? i know fdm printers generally have a big upgrade/aftermarket presence, do people swap these shits out for quieter ones?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

I have a Neptune 4 pro too and while I’ve had some good success, there is nothing sadder than coming back to it and seeing nothing but bird’s nest of extruded filament instead of a finished print.

I think my biggest problem is treating it like a resin printer and filling up the print bed instead of printing one object at time!

hm im noticing this issue with loading up the bed too. im assuming my leveling wasn't exactly perfect. cause when i put like 6-9 blocks in the middle it's fine. if i try to do like 25 in a 5x5, several gently caress up

e: bed adhesion issue mayb actually. i just used the glue stick it came with and it looks like it's running mint now

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 27, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Lumpy posted:

Neptune 4 Pro.

yup. mine has been plug n play so far (use glue on the print bed when its packed tho hah)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

reminds me of a conversation i had

"The resin printed figures are nice, but you can't use them at a Games Workshop store, right?"

"My friend, that is a feature, not a bug."

lol this is the wackest poo poo ive ever heard. makes me happy im a historical wargamer

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my neptune 4 has been practically flawless plug and play from day 1 as well

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

has anyone got a source of some coin stls? i want to print a bunch of coins for frostgrave to represent players treasure. thinking various sizes, with the denomination on the coin (5, 10, 25, 100, etc.). i thought about whipping up my own in solidworks but thought surely someone must have done this already. i did a quick google and couldnt find anything that fit the bill

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

forkis posted:

Unchained Games on MMF has a ton of weird looking fantasy coins for sale that could fit the bill!

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/UnchainedGames/collection/fantasy-coins

ah these are really excellent and basically what i was looking for. i found tons of free lazy token type printables, but THIS is the type of poo poo i really wanted!

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Honestly, I’m not sure printing that makes sense. Coins are hard shapes to print.

If I were doing that, I’d try to hunt down a set of coins from a cheap currency that look cool, since coins are somewhat hilariously always the cheapest source of small round circular objects. There are also tons of cheap toy coins on Amazon or Ali Express.

i thought about this, but i'd probably print them SLA so they turn out nice. alternatively, i was considering some sort of dial marker type thing with treasure chests on them that the players can collect. i just want some visual representation of "look how much treasure we've got!" since thats a big part of Frostgrave

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

I printed some Imperial Credits for a Star Wars game I play in, then finished them with rub n' buff. They turned out pretty good, but I'd rather have metal ones.

id strike my own coinage but engraving is a pain in the rear end and i dont have a mill or cnc router. printing plastic will have to suffice

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I only print in resin and PLA. Is there a material for fdm printers that is dense, like clay poker chips? The heft of currency is a thing I like and preventing me from printing out custom game things.

leaving a cavity for a steel insert is probably the easiest way to do this. it's how i base my miniatures generally. i do a ~2 mm thick square base (depending on the ruleset, something like 40x40 or so) and leave space for a 5 cent piece to be CA glued in afterward

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

finally got around to putting some paint on these dungeon block tiles. they take paint pretty well. surprised how good the detail holds up in fdm, im used to printing sla everything. only place it's not great is stuff like the water, and the beds kinda. but even the beds look dece

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

In case anyone hasnt seen this, I just heard about prisma-cast and am pretty blown away
https://archon-studio.com/blog/prismacast-a-revelation-in-rpg-terrain-market

Essentially, some studio artist paints a sprue, then they 3d scan the paintjob and print it onto copies of that srpue.

I have to imagine there are some limitations here in shape, but this seems like a massive deal that Id love to see come to 3dprinting. Its probably tied up in a ton of patents though

this the type of poo poo ive been dying to see for time now

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ive had some mild stringing on most of my prints but it hasnt really been enough for me to do anything about. its generally very minimal and unobtrusive and easy to pick off. but whew these cell tiles i printed look absolutely terrible. beyond the effort i want to put into cleaning them up. i tried cleaning the nozzle (its immaculate now) and also checked the retraction settings and they seem to be within typical guidelines. im using elegoo filament, with elegoo cura settings on my neptune 4. any suggestions on what other settings to tweak to clean this up? id rather not just start fiddling with random poo poo and there seems to be so many suggestions on what to do after checking retraction settings on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BabelFish posted:

That's amazing! Pretty much exactly how I'm hoping to paint mine up. Are you using contrast paints for the colored objects, or is it all just dry-brushing over black?

hey thanks! yeah, i do a 3 part dry brush straight over black, no primer. then speed paints over the dry brush for coloured objects. super fast and the result is pretty good