Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Oh hey a 3d minis thread I didn't know existed! Started a side business on Etsy selling Minis back in February and things have been going crazy with it!

Legitimately curious how the big players are going to handle every little gamer having access to a friend's resin printer in the next couple years. Frankly I think we're going to see osprey and others really coming ahead with mod agnostic rules systems.

On a side note, found these 6mm guys amd I desperately want a good system to play with them

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/TheLazyForger

InternetJunky posted:

If you want, feel free to email me the file greyghostminiatures @ gmail.com and I'll try to print this. I don't see anything wrong with the file and printing flat to the plate should be fine.

of course the other dude in Alberta selling on Etsy is a goon! I'm gooseminis in calgary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I don't see gw doing it at all.

But frankly their days are numbered as accessibility to this stuff kills their silo. Too many people sculpting great uality "space Marines" and frankly the quality of the game is not what attracts people to their stuff.

The biggest issue for wargaming nowadays is still finding a group of people who play the same game though, and that is the one thing 40k had despite not being great

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

spectralent posted:

Counterpoint: What GW feels threatened by is not the same thing as what will actually doom GW. For instance, stuff like "we're making our IP less generic" is partly because they want to head off the risk generic models would pose to them, even if it's actually kind of unlikely.

My big reason for them to be concerned is that there's a ton of talent now aiming directly at consumers, and people like me are decentralizating mini printing to places like Etsy.

The big thing gw has is their IP, but my thought is especially lately, that as tabletop haS more and more of a renaissance that people will start looking elsewhere.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Yeah I mean 3d printing vs casting, the amount of cleanup and assembly I need to do with a printed part vs what I would have had in the past is night and day. Barely anything at all vs the mold line that inevitably wraps around the face of a mini.

Let alone internal cavities etc that just physically can't be done with casting

^^^^ loving 2 ghouls in a horse suit

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

This is probably accurate from an "army battle" miniatures perspective, but there is a massive market for other minis out there that GW has never made inroads with (ie. D&D-type stuff) that is absolutely undergoing a revolution right now due to 3D printing. Almost all my mini sales are for this type of market and thanks to covid there is a huge number of new people in the hobby. I have no idea how companies like Reaper are doing now, but I think 3D printing is probably affecting them far more than it would GW.

Oh reaper has to be hosed. They never really had an amazing reputation for sculpts etc. Where 3d printing is going to explode is anyone wanting a specific model for their dnd character, not someone wanting 300 skeletons for their fantasy army. I mean, just look at how much stuff heroforge cranks out

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

You are very incorrect here fyi. The same "Nerds [that] will buy hundreds of .stl files and only print a few of them." are the same people that will buy hundreds of miniatures and only use a few of them. Maybe it's because I'm one of them or maybe it's because I'm actually able to see people's mini buying habits (since I'm a seller) but the mini buyers who aren't buying for wargames probably spend just as much on their little figures as the GW guys.

In terms of how it'll effect GW specifically, it's obviously costing them money right now. The #1 search term in my store is "nurgle". Even though I don't specifically go after models that can be used as GW proxies, the ones I do sell are very popular. GW have been very aggressive in taking down shop listings that reference their IP in any way. There are entire patreons who specialize in designing proxy units for everything GW puts out. GW would be morons to ignore it and I would hope they are trying to find a way to cash in.

Have you had anything delisted that refers to gw's stuff? I've definitely wondered about this the few times I've done it

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone gently caress with clear (or clear ish) resin?

I have a spare mars pro I'm considering using exclusively for spell effects and I'm not sure of there's a brand I should be going for

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

recommendations for stl sources?

i've used myminifactory pretty much exclusively so far and it has a pretty great selection, but if there's a couple of other sites, maybe even a resource that has a big list of artists' patreons, i'd love to hear them.

There's a half decent list of Patreons on r/printed minis that you can go off of

Myminifactory is great, some good stuff on cults3d too. Patreon is the way to go if there's a current release you want though, works out alway cheaper vs myminifactory

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Gonna x-post this here since everything was printed. 3d printing is the future, and I honestly can't justify buying normal models any more because of it.

This is where I'm at. Why go buy a 15$ figure for infinity other than its required.

Really want to see a community move towards model agnostic game systems

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Electric Hobo posted:

Well, Reign in Hell finally gave me a reason to print a bunch of Bestiarum's monster-demon guys.
Are there any other patreons that make super dark fantasy figures like that?

Not quite as dark, but archevillain is the poo poo

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

That post would be good in the OP

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Toebone posted:

I held off on a wham bam plate for a while because it seemed expensive for what amounts to a magnet and a little piece of steel, but it makes printing 10x less of a pain in the rear end.

Real benefit it it lets you print easily flat on the plate

Means you can crank out a ton of bases for minis at like 30 minute a batch

E: The offset issue is specific to a few printers, mainly older ones. Had to do it for my Mars pro,but not my 2 or Saturn

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone have a source on scale model train houses/scenery etc? Someone asking me for resources and its honestly out of my knowledge base.

Patreon, myminifactory, some other horrific train centered 3d printing website?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone have a link for some generic wargaming bases? I feel like I had some but I've lost them.

Want some squares, circles, ovals etc in a bunch of different sizes

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Starting to print this huge nautilus airship for a Christmas present. Going to take forever to print, let alone paint

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

This is a good resource if you want to see what all is out there for patreons: https://graphtreon.com/patreon-creators/3d-printing

Is that the AvG model? That thing is a beast!

Epic miniatures nautilus ship.

Archivallains is God drat crazy but I don't think I'd ever want to print that thing FDM

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

It's fair in that those machines all have the same pixels per inch, what I was calling xy resolution, so it makes sense there's no quality difference.

Uhhh a few months back there was a modeller making wood elves in tiny war master scale. Anyone have a link handy?

Might be onimioji on Patreon. Dudes rad

https://www.patreon.com/onmioji

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Any recommendations for buying resin I'm Canada? I've been buying sirayatech fast grey + tenacious in Canada but I've been having some real consistency issues with their availability.

Going through 12 bottles a month at the moment and need something I can buy consistently that's durable/not too expensive

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

Are you buying straight from https://siraya.tech/? I buy from them 12L at a time and they have always had stock on the abs-like grey that I order.

Also, have you been following the Vulcan resin kickstarter? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlas3dss/vulcan-1?ref=user_menu

I'll be switching to their resin once it's available.

Both of those yes. Sirayatech is it of stock at the moment and say they won't have any in for half a month.

That and I've been waiting for them to carry navy grey and they keep delaying

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

Oh crap. This is the first time they been out of stock on my resin and I need to order more right now. :(

Yeah I'll let you know if I sort anything out. Think I'm hunting down a different brand for now but resin availability is so over the place lately

Looking into eryone if your trying to find something. Stuff looks reasonable and I'm mixing with tenacity for strength anyways
Vvvv: drat lol, on the same page. $22 cad a kg is cheap as gently caress if I can get any sort of durability out of it

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 22, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Guest2553 posted:

OK, it's impulse buying time...some of the prime deals are bordering on too good to pass up, but expire today. The general takeaway I've seen was 'can't go wrong with mars 2 or photon mono'. Is the 20% price spread worth the minor differences?

Mars 2 - 200
Mars 2 pro - 240
Anycubit photon mono - 190

All good. Mars 2 is great, with the pro your basically getting a metal vat and a carbon filter

Carbon filter is basically useless, plastic vat is fine except lacks a max fill line which legitimately annoys me every day

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

So I've been looking at eryone's color mixing resins and I was wondering. Are there any Tiny aftermarket vats out there for the mars etc?

Would be really cool to mix up tiny batches of custom colored minis for board games etc

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

I got a set of stick on drawer handles for a couple bucks, it made lifting and moving my printer covers a lot easier.

This is a good fuckin move. I did this with some tough pla and adhesive tape. Covers get way less messy and it lets you move poo poo with one hand

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 25, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone have experience with monocure flex 100 for minis? I'm trying to find an alternative to mixing sirayatech tenacious as it's availability is a bit spottty

E: any flex resins for that matter

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 1, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

Is it normal to scratch the build plate when prying off a print, does it matter? Just did the test print on an elegoo mars 2 and some of the black paint scratched off.

E:
And lol did not adequately prepare for cleanup. Definitely need more table space and tools laid out.

It happe a but there are things you can do to minimize it for sure.

Getting a flex plate helps a ton and lets you print flat (do this, they're amazing). Otherwise, reducing burn in layer time can make removal easier as well as long as you don't lower it so much it doesn't stick

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Randalor posted:

Just out of curiosity, but about how many 32mm minis does a liter of resin make, assuming space marine/sisters of Battle proportions? I have a PLA printer, but am debating getting a resin printer.

A fuckin ton but I don't have an exact number. Around 120-140

It'll throw out how much you feel like spending $10 a mini when you can make one for 20¢. Easily my biggest deterant for some game systems at the moment

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

A wrestling minis Patreon with a long term story arc and new sculpts every month to reflect it would be amazing.

Bring in all the relationship plotlines and betrayls/team ups

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

drat that would be sweet. Are there any 3d printing patreons that have an ongoing storyline?

Also today I discovered that printing bases is like cheating, I want to throw out all the piles of basing materials I've accumulated over the years.

The closest I've seen are places like archevillain/cobraMode that release dnd modules for their stuff.

Would be a great opportunity to have ongoing community involvement where some big character loses an arm or switches factions and they crank out a new version

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

I did my first actual prints last night and I'm absolutely blown away by the detail of forest dragons baby elves. That said, I dropped the spearmen a few times to test them out and it was super easy to break their spear heads off even from a small drop.

I'm a bit lost between the different kinds of resins. Would mixing a more flexible resin help tiny models more than mixing a stronger one in?

Any recommendations for an off the shelf resin for this kind of thing?

What's your mix. Iv been using sirayatech fast with 10% tenacious and it's been great. Could go up to20% from what I've heard.

Also could be over curing. Do an amerilabs exposure test to dial in if you haven't already, and 1.5min tops In a uv light

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

Too much uv is a good point. I have no idea what I'm doing so I cooked them 2min face up, then flipped and did another 2 face down. Thanks for the test print too.

Using this straight from the bottle. Just grabbed something cheap to do initial experiments.

Definitely both of those. Like a minute and a half total should be plenty.

That looks like a regular grey resin. You'll get more out of going with abs like, much more of you mix in a flexible resin (sirayatech tenacious, or maybe monocure flex but I haven't used it yet)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

MCPeePants posted:

Does anyone know where to get Tenacious for a reasonable price in Canada? Siraya doesn't seem to ship here, and google is not being very helpful.

I've seen solid reviews for Elegoo ABS-like so I'll probably get some of that in the meantime, but I have a litre of old Peopoly grey from work that I want to use with the Tenacious.

I'm running tests. But considering monocure flex as an add in alternative

Sirayatechs been my go to. But I get the impression more and more lately that Canada, UK, Australia etc aren't their priority over US customers

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Randalor posted:

Just a quick idiot question, but if I have a resin and a PLA printer and wanted to make custom parts for minis, I can use the same 3d model file in the slicer programs for both printers, right? So I can use the PLA printer for prototyping, then when the model is "done", just drop it into the resin slicer program to make the final product, right?

I'd just prototype in resin honestly. A big FDM printer is really useful for big terrain pieces etc, but for minis and anything small it's not going to handle overhangs etc the same way and not really behave how you want.

They can use the same stls etc though so if your designing poo poo go nuts.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

I know this is probably the wrong answer but I've just been using the auto supports option in chitubox. For regular minis I've been using light supports and things have been turning out great. For bigger things I've used medium supports and manually placed a few heavy supports just to be sure.

Wait till you try lychee slicer auto supports holy moly

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

lilljonas posted:

He does resin printing afaik. But at this point I’m convinced that it’ll be worth it to find a pro to do the pre-supports, as there’s enough people telling me that it’s worth it. I’ll just have to get a quote on it because these things keep on adding to the cost of doing digital compared to just physical minis.

Not sure what atlas costs, but they do presupports for a mountain of big patreons

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

lol if the little extruding tab of the whambam plate is facing the front of the printer it can catch on the vat going down. I happened to be watching it so slightly gouged the vat and flung a bit of resin out but didn't break the fep or screen thank gently caress. That would have been a fun cap to the day.

e:

A rook in each corner worked! I forgot to put a couple in the centre to see if they would fail while the ones in the corners worked tho.

This has happened to me and it sucks. Flipped resin back into the motor housing for the z axis

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Barring another serious gently caress up or replacing a component, you shouldnt have to relevel anytime soon.

The flex plates mean you won't be in a position where your putting some dumb amount of force on it to get parts off

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Cranking along on vroom settings with my eryon black resin and I'm seeing failures a bunch where the supports fail to attach to the mini which just sticks to the fep. Am I missing something? What's the fix for this.

I'm currently print at a 3sec exposure at 0.03mm height which I thought was good and now I'm recalibrating at 3.2 to see if that makes a difference.

Seeing it on my saturn and mars 2

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

PotatoManJack posted:

Been looking at 3D printers for a little while now, and the ELEGOO MARS UV LCD Resin 3D Printer just popped up on my radar for $130AUD which is about 40-50% off here in Australia. I've heard Elegoo Mars is a good brand / line, and saw a few goons have recommended this maker, so wanted to check if anyone had any experience with it and would recommend it?

Jump right to the 2 or 3. Base mars doesn't have a mono screen which will mean substantially Longet print times and shorter component lifespan

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

In all seriousness do not buy the Mars 1 or a printer with an rgb screen when you can get a mono. There is a huge difference in print times. They were great at the time but it's not their time.

Agreed. My mars pro is good poo poo and prints as good as Any of my other printers, but a monochrome screen is a solid development that really can't be ignored.

Older resin printers essentially used phone/tablet digitizers that came with an rgb matrix, but the extra colors mean that it allows less light to of through the display and really allowed things down.

Now that the tech had matured a bit printers use a purpose built monochrome display which speeds up the time to print per layer. Because of this its also exposed to the UV lightless , which gives the screen a much longer part liffespan

I highly recommend elegoo until you're an idiot like me running it 24/7, and even then I just bought another Saturn for my shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

I haven't used their black resin yet so I don't know what kind of exposure times you need for that (3 seconds at 30 microns sounds high for eryone resin - I'm at 2 for the flesh and grey resin). Support failures can happen with both underexposing and overexposing, so there's a chance you're too high as well. Fire a mini through at ~2.5 if going higher isn't helping.

Yeah I think your right. I forgot that overexposing ptesents in the same was as under exposing. Rerunning a bunch of amerilabs

2.5 turned out looking really good...... This would explain a lot that I've been dealing with the last week or so

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 4, 2021