Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Probably the best place to ask this. I'm pretty bad at blender, but I know it tends to be good for editing models and meshes and crap like that. Now, I want to emboss images onto some Warmaster shields, because freehand just isn't my friend, but I'm not only just bad at blender, I'm bad at trying to find an easy tutorial for blender that can show me what I need to do. So if y'all know of a good, simple tutorial (video, written, whatever) that can show me how zazz up my shields and banners when starting with some flat images, it would be quite helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I'm looking to begin to dabble in printing, mainly because I'm honestly kinda tired of waiting and relying on other people when I want to have some more units for my Warmaster army printed up. At the same time, I'm not looking to break the bank picking up a printer.

Looking around, I found the Voxelab Proxima 6.0 printer, with a mono lcd screen, and while it's not an absolute house of a machine, it definitely looks like it could be what I'm looking for. At the same time, I'd appreciate it if there's anyone that's gotten one and used it, so I could get some actual legitimate feedback and not bot-reviews from Amazon. Even if no one has one, I'd still appreciate more eyes on this, just to see if it's adequate enough for the job I'm looking to be doing.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Question for the class: has anyone dealt with NV Liquidation LLC? They came up in a Facebook marketplace search for Elegoo Mars printers, and it honestly seems a little too good to be ordering a Mars 2 pro (albeit used) for $105 + $18 shipping. At the same time, if they're legit, that's a fuckin steal for a used 3d resin printer...

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Angry_Nohman posted:

It DID have a protective clear plastic sheet front and back though, that isn't mentioned for removal on the instructions... :dumbbravo:

Hey, at least it was something easy enough to fix that didn't completely gently caress up either your screen or your FEP.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I've been waffling off and on about getting a resin printer, and I think I may end up pulling the trigger before long, as I'm kinda getting sick of asking the handful of friends I know who also have printers for a print or two (a couple 10mm Warmaster dudes, with compensation mentioned) and getting ghosted. Before I go out and drop a whole bunch of cash on a printer, a wash & cure station, resin, extra FEPs, and so on, I do have some very important questions to ask.

I plan on having the printer on a tall workbench in my garage, which is attached to the house and faces east. In fact, it's directly underneath my room, and has a door that leads to the basement and my brother's room. Typically during the summer, the garage door is left open, though I believe the workbench doesn't get hit by direct sunlight. I currently have a dog in the house, a 65-ish-poung akita, and we're getting a second shiba puppy next month. The dog isn't allowed in the garage while the door is open, as he'd end up running the neighborhood, but may follow someone out there while the door is closed during colder months. Even then, I plan on keeping the resin away from any areas the dogs would be able to reach, avoiding any issues with spilling or disrupting prints.

My biggest concern is if the fumes from the resin would affect anyone, whether my dogs because of their better smell, or me being directly above the area with the printer. I don't want to put anyone at risk, and as much as it would suck, I could live without having a printer if having one would harm anyone in the house. If I'm overthinking things, though, and the open garage door is enough ventilation to air out the fumes without trouble, then I do have another possible issue. As the garage door faces east, I'm thinking about the possibility that there might be some UV coming from the sun rising spoiling prints that I might be making. The sun doesn't directly hit the workbench at any point during the day, but it is fairly bright in the garage, so the thought is there.

I've looked online for information, but most of what I can find is either related to having pets physically in the same room (which mine wouldn't be), using 3d prints in small pet enclosures, like with reptiles and such, or specifically regarding birds (which I don't have). Any advice or anecdotal experience would be appreciated.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Doctor Zero posted:

Small doses of indirect sunlight are fine, but prolonged periods of time might make a skin form your vat. Regardless, it should be easy enough to set up a sheet of cardboard, sheet insulation, or wood to block the light.

Other things to consider:

- How cold does it get in there? You don't want to let the ambient temperature drop much below 70f. I can get away with 65f, but I start getting more random failures.
- How will you wash them? Where can you safely store the contaminated / uncured stuff until it can be safely disposed? Where will you store the alcohol?
- Do you mind if the floors and walls near your print area get splashes and drips on them?

One of my brothers has a small setup in his basement for his own purposes, and as he was showing me what he's got, I had the same thought about possibly using a grow tent for such a project. Another expense to get started with, but it might just be enough to control fumes, as I couldn't smell anything outside of the tent, and it was quite strong inside. A well-insulated grow tent may also be a way to mitigate the other issues brought up, between keeping the area warm and free of splashes, while also providing a storage area as well. I'll talk to him more before I actually pull the trigger on things, get his opinion on what to pick up, and start pricing things out.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Ok, just got a pretty much brand new Mars 3 printer and 1000mg of resin for $150 off FB marketplace, so I'm just trying to make sure I have a clear idea as to what else I should pick up. I already have the following stuff in mind:

• replacement FEPs
  • flex plate?
  • wash & cure station
  • enclosure with fan and air purifier
  • Isopropyl Alcohol (91% ok? or should I look for a higher percentage?)
  • storage container for waste IPA
  • some sort of flexible resin to add (Sirayatech Tenacious? Something else?)

Anything else that I might have missed?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Ok, so this is more for me to look back at when I'm ready to print, so feel free to ignore this.

I already have gloves that I use for my airbrushing, so that's covered. I also, strangely enough, have like, 4 school lunch trays floating around (I think my little brother stole them from school years ago? :shrug:). Also also have a bunch of funnels from the kitchen that I was honestly considering tossing because I use them so little, but if they're gonna be used for this, great. Could anyways turn some old ratty shirts into rags as well, get some more life out of them before tossing them. Also, good to note on the IPA, cuz I can very easily get the 91 at a bunch of local stores, while the 99 I'd have to order off the internet.

Enclosure is basically the only real need out of those, due to pets, as I've mentioned before. Gonna have to look up the two container method, see how obnoxious that is compared to a station. Flex plate is a maybe, cuz I've seen people here post about how nice one is, but I'm mostly thinking of printing Warmaster stuff, so I dunno how much I'll actually need it. More of a "maybe" than anything, but I've seen it mentioned. Same with the spare FEPs, but considering that it literally hasn't been used yet, I would hope I won't need them right away. Spatula is interesting, I'd have to see if the printer came with a scraper, but if not, I could always check my local hardware and craft stores and see what I can find.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

OK, so like, the same kind of spatula I'd use on non-stick pots and pans, then. Makes sense, honestly, and good on letting me know the difference.

Also, I definitely appreciate all the help. While I've lurked in here for a minute, now that I actually have equipment to start using at some point in the future it's nice to be able to ask what I think are the dumb questions, but the important dumb questions so that way I have some idea as to what the hell I'm doing.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

At least he is not airbrushing resin. That video was wild.

Yeah, I saw that video too, and laughed my rear end off. Like yeah, nah, I'm not gonna atomize uncured resin and/or IPA and breathe that. You do you though, buddy. Worst part was people in the comments were all "yeah, great, sounds like a good idea". :ughh:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Just got my enclosure in the mail yesterday, so I finally set everything up and got to printing. First print, the j3d flat bed level test, hosed up, but I realized that I didn't set my z=0 low enough, and a quick vat clean pulled the failed prints off the fep without a problem. Second and third prints, the level test again and the cubes of calibration, printed perfectly. Everything is working as it should, though I can still smell some fumes from the resin and want to actually get a vent line from the enclosure to the window behind my workbench.

Also found some old gallon ice cream containers that work fantastically for wash tubs, and my mother was saying the local dollar store had some small UV nail lamps that would work perfectly for curing the tiny poo poo that I plan on printing. All I need to do at this point is decide on a shield symbol for my high elves, but I also want to look into some sort of flexible resin next paycheck.

Either way, thanks for answering all my questions so far. Definitely helpful for someone starting out.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I was cleaning off some warmaster prints off my build plate, into the old ice cream tub I've been using to wash them in (which is great, because they're big fuckin' plastic gallon tubs with lids), and I noticed that my scraper was catching on my build plate. Wiping it off with a paper towel, I kept trying to see if it was some resin that had hardened and gotten stuck, or something had misprinted, or whatever. After a minute of loving with it, I caught it with the corner of my scraper, and peeled up a little bit of plastic. Clear, adhesive plastic. Clear, adhesive plastic that was the protective film put on it for shipping, that I hadn't peeled off before printing like, 6 full units of spearmen.

Plus side, it didn't gently caress up my prints while it was on, and they fall off just as easily without it.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Southern Heel posted:

Bloody heck, I'm almost finished on my third litre of resin!

I did exactly this too - Mars 3 Pro? To be fair, it doesn't mention that plastic film in the instructions where everything else is detailed...

Regular Mars 3, but yeah, totally didn't even realize it was a thing until half a dozen prints in. The More You Know.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

ok, so I've printed more than a few things at this point, and I'm getting the hang of the printer now. however, I'd like it if the possibility of dropping a print and having it shatter into a million little pieces wasn't a thing, so like, I'm wondering what kind of resin I should be looking for to get a little flex in my prints. I don't need to be able to bend them in a complete circle, but having a print be able to survive a floor drop would be nice. I think I should be looking for "ABS-like" resin? I see Sunlu resin mentioned here often, as well as adding some Siraya Tech Tenacious to resin (which honestly seems a little too fiddly for my liking, but :shrug:), but I'm open to recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Oh, you gotta get like, two or three of the same picture. Only, they're not the same, there's a subtle difference between them (like the eyes are looking a different way, or different facial hair on a portrait), and swap them around. Bonus points if you do that mid-game, like during a food break while no one else is looking.