Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
A buddy of mine just got a 4k printer. Where are some good places to find Necron proxies so I can make him use all his resin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Assuming I'm a complete idiot (which I am) how hard is setting up / using a Filament printer if I want to buy terrain STL files like this and print them? Is the OP suggestions of an Ender 3 still a good one?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

_Gumby posted:

I cant speak for the Mono SE specifically, but I would probably go for the Mono 4k, you can get them for $189USD (~$280AUD) atm: https://www.anycubic.com/collections/3d-printers/products/photon-mono-4k

If your budget is fixed at $350 there is nothing wrong with the Mono SE that im aware of though...

So if I were to finally break down and buy one of these, what things that make life easy should I also get? People say "flex-plates" in here a lot... what is that and should I get one? And what is the current best "I am a total n00b" guide these days?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Is 3D modeling for resin printing for "simple" things that are non-organic (ex: a gun swap on a 40k War Dog that is a single piece) basically making the thing the right size in Blender and export to STL? I watched this video (which was linked here a while back) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqDnLg3o9WE and it seems relatively straightforward, but was curious if anyone had any experience with it they could share.

Also a big thanks to all the people in this thread who have answered my and other's questions! I feel slightly less terrified about ordering a printer now... going to get a Photon Mono 4k.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Every time I'm about to buy a 3d printer, I read this thread and empty my cart.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
FINE! I just ordered a Mono 4k :cry:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Communist Thoughts posted:

Mono 4k is what I have too and it was pretty cheap and I've printed easily thousands of quids worth of models and now I sculpt and print my own stuff

I eventually want to model my own stuff, which is how I justified getting the printer finally :v:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ego Trip posted:

Don't need to print faster than you can paint anyway.

So I should print 20 minis a year. Check.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
My wash & cure station has arrived! Printer will still be a few days, which is fine, since I have to make space, build a heater box type thing, etc. Excited to start futzing with things! Question about washing: I see a vast majority of people wash with IPA, but the manual for the washer says "alcohol, detergent solution, etc." and I saw someone mention they used some sort of cleaner (LA's Awesome or something like that?) mixed with water. Does one perform better in any way? Is one safer?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
What is the right term(s) on MyMinFactory or wherever to search for to find models that are like a Necormunda / Stargrave box in that there are 10 bodies, and then a bunch of arms & weapon options? I play Necromunda and would love to find proxy models for gangs (or even just Orlock at the moment) but since your gang changes semi-frequently as people upgrade gear and people die and new recruits join etc. buying files with set weapons is something I'd like to avoid. Or if anyone knows of a creator that off those, that would be great too!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

moths posted:

Anvil Digital Forge is pretty great, and I think they're on MMF

OOOh, thank you (and everyone else!) this seems prefect since most bits fit across all their sci-fi ranges. I should probably actually get my printer set up first though....

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
My Anycubic text cube is printing! But I'm pretty sure I forgot to take some sort of protective film off the bottom of the vat. :doh:

If I am going to print more tomorrow (assuming this works, but it seems to be) can I leave that film on for a bit, or is it better to empty it out, clean, and remove before trying anything "real"?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Have you used cones of calibration? I advise running that and adjusting your settings based on that since that is based around supports. I had a very big difference between my resin validation ideal exposure compared to the cones. Now printing to the cones setting and having a lot of success.

When the parts that are supposed to fail fail, do they fall off and you have to fish bits out of the vat? Seems cool though.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I didn't fish anything out, they have a little roof. Not sure exactly how that works now that I think about it, but no cleanup seemed needed.

Awesome. I just finished building a little enclosure for my printer and got a seed starter heater w/ a thermostat to go inside so I can actually print things now that its insanely cold.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

queeb posted:

double post but im kinda excited about this, i painted one with a quick like 15 second paintjob and they actually look kinda dope?!

i feel like im on to something here, if i cut a set of like, 30 tiles, painted them all up like that or similar, packed them as an unpainted set but advertised them with a paintjob as a "heres what it could be" kinda thing, i feel like im ight be able to sell a bunch, especially cheap since its probably like $4 in materials to cut 30 tiles.

Spend an extra minute putting on some texture with a sponge to make it even more "omg these will be sooooo coooooool" Not that they aren't already so cool that is.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

queeb posted:

more realistic or more exaggerated style? top v bottom.

im leaning more exaggerated and cartooney just for ease on the eyes over a table of like 40 tiles or something.

I like the bottom one, but they are both great.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Anyone in the US make / use an enclosure heater? If so, what? I picked up a seed-starter heating pad / thermostat, but it's not cutting it in the coldness of my attic. It is only 20W, so perhaps just getting a 40W version would do it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Is there any danger / hidden pitfalls in filling up the build plate? I used THE CONES to calibrate (thanks for learning me about that!) and did my very first print yesterday, and it came out great! So now of course I want to print 4797231 things, but wonder if loading up causes more heat or some other thing that would mean the settings would change for a lot vs. a little on the plate.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I have printed a bunch of stuff, all pre-supported, and things have gone well. Today I tried supporting a file myself, and…. not so well. Supports stuck to the build plate, but no models in them and piles of cured resin on the FEP instead. The models were a 28mm full figure, and a mother robot dude in the same scale but broken up into pieces. I used Lychee auto-supports with light supports. I’m guessing medium would be a better choice? The models were tipped back 35ish degrees, everything seemed okay in that there were no big places of no supports, etc. Other than beefing up support size, any other suggestions? And does anyone have a recommendation for a “how to support for idiots” video? There are so many, it is tough to tell what’s useful and what is bad advice.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Jihad Joe posted:

So I used the first few tutorial videos from 3D Printing pro on YouTube and never needed anything else.

I typically start with a couple of heavy supports on the models feet or whatever area will not be visible. I tend to use a medium on any significant island and then lights for the majority.

I also only just made the switch to lychee from chitubox and what a breath of fresh air.

Those are great! Thanks for the heads up.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Is there a way to do auto-bracing (between supports) in Lychee? I can manually add them, but I wish to be lazy.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Springfield Fatts posted:

What's everyone's tip diameters? My problem with med/hvy supports is how they mar the model when removing them, and sometimes need me to actually snip them off like traditional sprues.

ETA: Coincidentally this video popped up and it starts off as a gimmick but actually goes into a pretty good dive on topics like 3d creators vs IPs and the reasons a lot of weird failures or poor results happen with printing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xffUpV0zhKo

What a great video. Now I want the "cones 2.0" he showed at the end.

\/\/ thanks!

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 11, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Anyone with an Anycubic Wash & Cure know how to stop every single part from partaking in a race to be the first to fall off the platform during curing? The little bumps do nothing. I'm thinking of building a little ledge on the edge of the platform out of aluminum foil.

And speaking of that same station, what do people use, if anything, to line the wash basket so small parts don't fall through / poke down into the fan?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Hmm, I bet the table it is sitting on isn't perfectly level (the joys of a house that's over a hundred years old... nothing is square or level) and that's causing them to want to shift a lot. Going to try the cling-wrap trick, and also check level on it. Thanks for all the feedback / ideas!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Trip Report: cling wrap on the plate of the wash & cure kept parts where they should be! A big thanks to everyone for all the advise. I'm glad I took the plunge, as I've been printing all sorts of stuff and having a blast.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mllaneza posted:

I'm just glad they don't find the guy making Epic scale STLs on Kickstarter until well after the project funds and I have my STLs. He's done not-Necrons, -Tyrranids, and -Death Guard so far.

This winter is kicking my rear end. I have my new printer set up in a well-ventilated area, but it hasn't been as warm as 55F in ages.

My attic hovers around 50º and I built a 24"x18" box out of MDF and used construction adhesive to put foam insulation on the outside. I picked up a small (like 6" high) "personal heater" which IIRC runs at like 200 Watts, and have that plugged into a thermostat controlled outlet (which came with the seed starter heat pad I tried first, which was only 24W and was on all the time and never got up past 62º. Anyway, I heat the box to 80º, which doesn't take long and thanks to the insulation, stays toasty. I turn the heater on like an hour before I print with the bottle of resin in there as well so everything is nice and warm and the box stays warm for a long time before the heater has to kick back in.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I paint the model and base separately. Then I have a hell of time getting it glued on right w/o messing things up. So then I put them on the base first. Then I have a hell of a time painting around the feet and places where the base is in the way. So then I paint the model and base separately.

I almost always paint the model and base separately

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So here's something odd (AKA, I am a dummy and need you all to explain it to me): In Lychee, it estimates ~2.5h for a print. I export the .pwma file to UVTools, it estimates 2.5h. I put file on my printer, it says ~2.5h. I hit print, and the time jumps to 6.5h, and that's how long it takes. Since my prints are coming out fine, I am not complaining by any means, but that just seems strange. The one that is printing now is the height of a 28mm figure w/o the head. My setting are attached. Is this normal, or do I have something set very stupidly?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Deviant posted:

Also guess who's vat was leaking onto the printer and silicone mat for a few days :(

One new screen and a totally stripped and cleaned photon mono x later... Screen protector didn't do fuckall against a slow sustained leak. I'll use more kapton tape this time.

Oh Lordy.... :cry: I can't wait for something like that to happen to me!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

IncredibleIgloo posted:

TSMC can throw the calculation off, especially if you have a printer that has TSMC attributes that are not visible or adjustable by the slicer.

What's a TSMC?

I dunno, what's a TSMC you?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Eyes Have It posted:

I appreciate it! That got me working enough to figure out a clunky but functional workflow. Thanks!

So I bought some presupported files, and apparently this case is just a Chitubox file. I don't have Chitubox, and while I am willing to download it, but I am having a hard time believing this is their actual website: https://www.chitubox.com/en/index Is this actually them? :tinfoil:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Yup. 'If it ain't sketchy, it ain't Chitubox!'

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, they're... They try.

I am seriously contemplating buying a cheap throwaway laptop or doing a virtual machine to install this on. There's no way that isn't absolutely crammed full of malware... at least, that's what that site tell me. Then again: :tinfoil:

Thanks for the confirmation though.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I am a n00b, so take my advise with a huge grain of 3d printed salt. My printer is in a box made of MDF, and I don't vent it at all, but I try not to be in the room with it when it is printing. The video from Goobertown (who is a PhD chemist) about resin indicates the fumes are a "Type 2" hazard, which is basically an irritant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht4tbCiFxeM&t=1470s

This is from Elgoo's MSDS:

quote:

Breathing Equipment: None should be needed from normal use. If this material is handled at elevated temperature or under mist forming conditions, approved respiratory protection equipment should be used. Selection and use of respiratory equipment must be in accordance with applicable regulations and good industrial hygiene practice.

So from what I gather, don't huff the stuff on purpose, and if it bothers you, vent, but being in a room with a printer that is in a box is something I personally am okay with. But better to be too cautious than not enough I guess.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 11, 2023

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Are you saying you use Lychee for filament prints as well? I only use it for my resin prints but if it could make me some good filament supports maybe I'll try that.

Lychee has an FDM version: https://mango3d.io/lychee-slicer-for-filament-fdm-3d-printers/

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

w00tmonger posted:

Can you use lycheeslicer. I haven't used chitu for ages.

Tons of functionality, really well maintained by the devs

I do use Lychee, but the issue as I mentioned in my first post on the topic is that I bought some pre-supported files, and they came as Chitubox files instead of STLs with supports baked in.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

w00tmonger posted:

Ah right.... If you want to us the presupports you might be able to reverse engineer the files but it's gonna be a pain.

If you have a support free version I'd just roll your own auto supports in lychee. That's what I do 90% of th time and it usually works great. Tilt the model (I'm assuming a mini) 30ish degrees and support it with light supports on low density

yeah, that's what I'm going to wind up doing, but I was hoping to be lazy. Because I am lazy.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Another question about pre supported files. Another one I bought has the supports baked into an STL file. However, when I bring it into Lychee to slice it, it is red and says "there is a problem" or whatever it is that it says. Click the "fix" button can't fix it. I normally then try brining it into Blender and using the 3d printing add-on to stay and fix it, but it can't seem to fix it either. Is this normal? Any suggestions on how to deal with this issue?

I also have another question, but I'm posting far too much in this thread today.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

BlackIronHeart posted:

It seems counter intuitive but if you have the built-in 3D Builder application from Microsoft, it can fix models that other programs can't. I know, I know, but just trust me and try it. It'll prompt you to repair the model when you open it with the program.

EDIT: I learned this trick from this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXBBec-iIuc&t=338s

Unfortunately I am on a Mac. I did figure out something that seemed to work (we'll see when I try to print it tomorrow): I imported it into Blender, went into Sculpt mode and remeshed the object, then re-exported it as an STL. Lychee was happy with it after that.

EDIT: I went to the file's MyMiniFactory page, and other people had the same problem, and their response was:

"No, not a problem, don't worry. We use a different software to check everything is "water tight" and the model has no issues. Some softwares like Cura may show some minor warnings in some cases but you can plainly ignore them."

So I dunno. :iiam:

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 12, 2023

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So here's the other question / issue I had: A couple days ago, I printed two models (Ice pillar markers for Malifaux) and they printed perfectly. So in Lychee I make 3 copies of each to fill up the build plate, but there was still space around the edge (nothing was smooshed right up against it) I hit print and off I went on my merry way. I came back later and the print was done, but three of them had issues at the bases, and one of them printed perfectly, except for the fact that it had just stopped being printed about 75% the way up the model. The top was just missing.

I probably should post a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Here's a picture. These were all done at the same time. One fine (right) one where the base had something wacky happen (middle) and one that it looks like it just gave up (left)

Only registered members can see post attachments!