Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I got an Elegoo Mars 2 Pro last Christmas and have been printing a ton of minis, I didn't realize we had a thread for it.

Here's some of the minis I've printed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Anyone else subscribe to a mini-printing Patreon? I just started Artisan Guild and have been printing their welcome pack, haven't gotten to the monthly models yet. I think I may dip in and out though, I don't think my painting time will be able to keep up with the amount of stuff you get.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Wash and cure machine is nice to have but you can get by with a tupperware or two and a UV source; I use a UV LED strip I got off Amazon that's wrapped around the inside of a cardboard box.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The Baumann posted:

That would probably work great. The biggest thing to keep in mind if you aren't using a curing chamber is consistent exposure. You can run into issues if one side is fully cured and the other is still uncured. I haven't had any issues myself but I've heard people having issues with thinner parts breaking from uneven curing.

You can get a little UV-powered turntable that'll spin your mini around

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I don't own a 3D printer and don't have space for one. Is there a reasonable way to get single print custom stuff that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Look for a local 3D printing Facebook group. A tabletop gaming club near me also has printers available to it's members.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The frosty white stuff is resin/ipa that didn't get completely cleaned off before curing - shouldn't be visible at all after priming. After cleaning my prints off with alcohol I give them a rinse and scrub in some water to make sure it's completely clean, that seems to take care of the frosting.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've been using LAs Awesome Cleaner from the dollar store, diluted to 50% with water. Works great and super cheap.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Getting a flex plate and just printing bases flat is the way to go.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Hows your temperature control? Give the resin a good stir before printing?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I can't verify what they're saying, but it makes sense from a chemical perspective. Water washable resin isn't any more environmentally friendly than regular, you're just using a different solvent to dissolve it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone gently caress with clear (or clear ish) resin?

I have a spare mars pro I'm considering using exclusively for spell effects and I'm not sure of there's a brand I should be going for

I've had good results with Elegoo ABS-like transparent resins, though I haven't tried other brands. They will get a bit yellow if left unpainted, but a UV-blocking varnish would probably fix that.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

How's the odor with Siraya? My printer is in the basement workshop but my wife still complains about the smell of Elegoo standard gray. Elegoo ABS-like is fine though

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I did a month of Artisan Guild and a month of Mini Monster Mayhem and between the monthly stuff and the two welcome packages I've got a backlog that'll last the rest of the year.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I held off on a wham bam plate for a while because it seemed expensive for what amounts to a magnet and a little piece of steel, but it makes printing 10x less of a pain in the rear end.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Eej posted:

I'm thinking of getting into 3d printing for miniatures and also keycaps. I've been reading stuff here and there but there doesn't seem to be a lot of collected knowledge about this stuff but it seems like I'd be looking for an entry level resin printer? Anyone have any suggestions on reading up on stuff? I assume I can reuse most of my safety gear from airbrushing for handling resin but I'm wondering how bad the fumes are (I live in a 2BR apartment but I have a huge terrace) if blowing the fumes out a window are enough or if I should consider setting it up outside.

A respirator and nitrile gloves from airbrushing will be fine. I wouldn't set it up outside due to all the sun UV you'd have to deal with.

Some (most?) printers don't ventilate the printing chamber, so you'll get hit with all the fumes at once when you open it up. Not so bad when you're wearing a respirator, but any spouses/roommates may not be happy. My Mars 2 Pro has a vent fan that runs through an activated carbon filter when the machine is on; supposedly it removes the harmful VOCs, but it doesn't do much for the smell. There are mods you can print out to attach an exhaust duct which you could then run out a window.

Either way, I think you'll definitely want a window exhaust fan to keep the air as fresh as possible. Some resins are less stinky than others, but no stink doesn't necessarily mean no fumes. The IPA you'll use to clean up smells as well.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I forgot to print a shim so I just stuck a little piece of electrical tape on the existing spacer.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I use a pair of tupperwares with IPA to wash, and cure in a cardboard box with a UV LED strip. I'm sure a curing station is nice but you definitely don't need one.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've heard of people curing & filtering their used IPA, but mine just turns into a big jello blob.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I tried going with a finer detail for a bit but the extra resolution isn't really noticable unless you're looking from extremely close up. Adds wear and tear to your FEP & screen too, so I decided it wasn't worth it to me.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Geisladisk posted:

Pour one out for my Photon S. 6000 or so points of warhammer models, a flames of war army, and uncounted singletons later, the screen finally kicked the bucket.

A new screen is like 60 euros, I might just get a fancier new printer.

I'm not sure how Anycubic's customer support is, but Elegoo has sent me multiple free replacement screens with just an email and photo. Worth asking at least.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

PotatoManJack posted:

I've recently scene a lot of the Photon 3D printers have gone on sale, to the point now where I'm really considering getting one. I think their base Photon Mono S is like $200 which seems very reasonable. I absolutely love the models by archvillain games (https://www.archvillaingames.com ), and so I'm thinking of a subscription to their monthly release together with a 3D printer could solve my mini needs for the foreseeable future.

What I'm wondering is with a basic Photon printer will I be able to print these minis to a decent quality? Will I also need a wash and cure station? Also, how much work will be needed to actually 'cut free' the minis once printed?

Aside from the initial learning curve, miniatures coming out of a Mono S will look fantastic. I'm pretty sure Archvillain includes pre-supported models too, so that's one less thing to worry about.

A wash and cure station is nice, but not absolutely necessary. You can do just fine with a tub or two of IPA and a home-made curing box - I used some stick-on UV LED strips I got off Amazon inside a cardboard box for a long time before I got a wash & cure. A flex plate is a more important quality of life upgrade, imho.

Most of the time you can just pull the supports off the mini; delicate parts or heavy supports might need to be snipped.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

There's also yeggi.com and thangs.com that index a bunch of sites, including thingiverse, Cults, etc.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

EdsTeioh posted:

What is "tank clean?" And no I have not run that calibration test, but I'll give it a shot after I get these failed powerswords out of the fep.

Elegoo printers have a "tank clean" option that cures the entire screen for ~15 seconds, which lets you pull out any bits left over in a single piece. I think Photon has a manual exposure mode that'll do the same thing.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

That brings up a question I've always wondered about...do you need to flip the models halfway through when using a curing station, or is the light dispersed enough that it will cure the bottoms automatically through the acrylic plate?

On smaller / thin prints you can see the UV light shining through to the other side, so I figure that’s enough. Bottoms seem to cure fine. Large solid ones I’ll tend to flip though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

One page rules folks: do you print your guys in one piece, or multiple? Just signed up and got the welcome pack, so much to print

Edit: yeah, I meant combined vs split up. The less supports to remove and pieces to glue the better, I’m gonna go with combined

Toebone fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 7, 2022

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Printed this terrain out and slapped some craft paint on it. Pretty happy with how they came out; I’ve got a third extra-large piece printing now.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 23, 2022

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

What’s everyone’s go-to resin for minis these days? I got a bunch of Anycubic Basic Grey for half price and it’s fine for bigger stuff, but it’s too brittle for tiny detailed things

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

When printing minis and bases separately, do you prime each then glue, or glue first and then prime?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Bucnasti posted:

The one time I've had to use Elegoo support (to replace the flywheel in my wash and cure station) they were super responsive and fast.

Elegoo has sent me three replacement screens for my Mars 2 past the warranty. One of them was even my fault, and they always throw in a pack of FEPs.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I’ve been getting great results with Sunlu ABS-like

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've gone through a couple bottles of Sunlu ABS-like and it's been very reliable, and the price is pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

It’s getting warm enough in the workshop to get the resin printer set up again, what are some good mini patreons with welcome bundles? Sci-fi and fantasy mostly