Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Doctor Zero posted:

The easiest thing to do is position one end off the build plate, copy and rotate it and position the other end off the build plate. It won’t print anything off the edge.

Not elegant, but it works.

just use prusaslicer's split feature jfc what even is this answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

"just leave your bullshit hanging off the plate" is not an answer

and prusaslicer won't even produce gcode if you try it

and if you arent using prusaslicer get the hell out of my face

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

for resin printers? no I am not. :colbert:

...it works OKAY for that.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Old Swerdlow posted:

The simple solution is to have the cleaner full of water and you place your print in a ziplock bag with the IPA into the cleaner.

I would simply not combine vaporizers and flammables you ding a ling

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I put a tilted build plate hanger on my Photon and if i'm not in a hurry, I just leave the model on there to drip. Saves on cleanup.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Interesting. Now how soon should someone remove a print from the plate once its finished? I've seen a lot of posts re: people leaving them on all night while they sleep or all day at work.

it doesnt matter. i hang mine on an angle mount to drip off resin and come back to it later unless i need to start another print asap

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Prusa acquires Printed Solid

great, can't wait for my jessie pla to have his stupid face on it too

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

My understanding is that ipa in an ultrasonic cleaner is an explosion risk.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i also did not remove a fep protective film

and rather than a plate of models i made a big resin butthole

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Pics or it didn’t happen.

you're gonna have to go to a higher tier on my patreon if you wanna see my big resin butthole

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Guest2553 posted:

How useful are wash and cute stations for 15mm infantry and guns? I bought the battlefront eastern front book for the bite sized history and dammit, now I have to make a couple companies.

I had issues with tiny parts falling through the basket.

Maybe get a mesh bag or something

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

Beaten lol.

Lycheeslicers autosupporta are insanely good and will cover you 99% of the time. For minis. You can usually get away with light supports on low density

this is what i do. manual supports is too much goddamn work.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Scipiotik posted:

I'm super new, but in my experience the orientation of the mini to the build plate is probably more important than the support density/size. Is that something you more experience folks would agree with? I'm getting to the point where I can look at a presupported mini and calculate where I think it might have problems and head them off without wasting time on the print.

oh i forgot i was in the non-generic 3d printing thread.

i actually mostly do cosplay parts which very much do not come presupported.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

is thingiverse b orked? i wanted to get a CaliCat STL to test my rebuilt prusa y-axis but it's throwing an error at me.

Alternately, what's a decent non benchy quick printer test?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

oh, i meant to post this in the main 3d thread but aight. I got bored and am just running off a benchy right now.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Funzo posted:

You can also check printables.com. It’s run by Prusa and is a much easier to find stuff on then Thingiverse.

i am aware of their work, the one i wanted (calibration cat) isn't on there

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

me when my printer acts up: lousy cnc glue gun piece of poo poo :mad:

me when my printer works: i wield the power of a GOD :science: and by my WILL the IMAGINARY is made MANIFEST. :science:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Forgot to post the carnival food I printed:

at least you didn't accidentally teleport anyone into the buffet table this time.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Lumpy posted:

So here's something odd (AKA, I am a dummy and need you all to explain it to me): In Lychee, it estimates ~2.5h for a print. I export the .pwma file to UVTools, it estimates 2.5h. I put file on my printer, it says ~2.5h. I hit print, and the time jumps to 6.5h, and that's how long it takes. Since my prints are coming out fine, I am not complaining by any means, but that just seems strange. The one that is printing now is the height of a 28mm figure w/o the head. My setting are attached. Is this normal, or do I have something set very stupidly?

I've never been able to figure this out.

Also guess who's vat was leaking onto the printer and silicone mat for a few days :(

One new screen and a totally stripped and cleaned photon mono x later... Screen protector didn't do fuckall against a slow sustained leak. I'll use more kapton tape this time.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Lumpy posted:

Wow, I think I see the problem now: I am an idiot. I hollowed them myself, and I put a bunch of holes in the bottom. But it prints upside down, so.... :bang:

Well, there's another mistake I can check off.

Thankfully the printer came with two extra FEPs.....

your fep is probably still fine if you drain the vat and clean it

definitely don't let your build plate push a piece of hard resin through the fep and leak an entire vat into your machine though i'd never do that that would be insane my new screen will be here soon and this was with a screen protector and kapton tape :(

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 12, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i do not like the cronenberg mini

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

DEATH TO THE 3D PRINTED SKELETON! DEATH TO eXistenZ!

have i won?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

how warm can it get in my garage before i start experiencing resin print issues?

the florida man's florida girlfriend does not care for the smell indoors.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Slyphic posted:

Its been 105 here im Texas for the last two weeks, 95+ in the garage, I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

okay cool, my garage isnt insulated but i do have a window unit if it becomes an issue

i figured cold was more of an issue than warm given material flow etc

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Rad-daddio posted:

like an off center clothes dyer shaking its way out the door.

i'm busy but imagine i photoshopped this to be a pair of Ender 3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7GhK3XXJ0

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

is there an upper limit on resin print temperature? I need to move my units to the garage and Florida summers do what they do.

edit: i read good

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 22, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

they're illegal as toys. i get them from mcmaster carr for work all the time

i also buy my toys from mcmaster carr

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Me: I'll get my resin printer back to good operational status by doing a cones of calibration

Printer: hahahaha it's not gonna stick to the build plate, idiot.

not sure why, gonna re-level the plate.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

reminds me of a conversation i had

"The resin printed figures are nice, but you can't use them at a Games Workshop store, right?"

"My friend, that is a feature, not a bug."

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

yeah gw is the worst and i will happily put down my many points of legally distinct 'space combat ladies' at home.

(unless you're following my current complaints in the general 3d printing thread, in which case you know i am printing gently caress-all right now except messes and garbage.)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Wangsucker 69 posted:

My mono X is starting to show its age, I think it’s three or four years old at this point and I want to start looking at replacing/upgrading. Any major QOL improvements to these machines I should be aware of, something like a heated vat would be nice so I don’t have to mess with the vat band. Anything else mind blowing? Thanks

I am also considering this, though I was able to get my Mono X to keep on chugging a bit longer. I still don't know what to buy as a 2024 upgrade. M5S?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 21, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

BlackIronHeart posted:

One QOL feature I really enjoy with the M5S is the vat cleaning option that's always on screen after a job completes. It's so nice to be able to spot a failure and just hit the button so anything left in the vat just gets scooped up and out without necessarily having to drain it.

can you explain how this varies from a standard cleaning option? I like doing a rectangle to clean bits off the platform but i find it hard to remove the newly cured rectangle from the FEP without unbolting the vat, etc.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 21, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Can you not stick a piece of support left over from a previous print in one of the corners and use it to lift the cleaning layer off? That's what I do, no unscrewing or anything just go slow a bit so I don't slosh any resin around when peeling.

Probably, i just never seem to have any when I need it. You hold it onto the FEP while the cleaning cure is running?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

You should still use a pickle bucket or two first so you don't use up good IPA as quick

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Really annoyed that I bought a Saturn 3 ultra just in time for this to come out. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I did end up buying a 4 Ultra, so I'll review it when it arrives, and I may have a barely-used S3 Ultra for sale.