Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Schweinhund posted:

Mondesi is hurt again :emo:

I thought I was being smart drafting him and staying away from Buxton but alas :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the only real predictor of future injury, and also a pretty drat accurate one, is past injury. mondesi has been hurt more during his entire professional career than healthy. i know he's tantalizing and all, but like...the most important stat in baseball is plate appearances, and he has always been terrible at that.

the secret to winning your league is to have as many plate appearances as possible from good hitters. it's not obp or k%-bb% or siera or whatever. it really is just time on the field. i would rather have 12 picks in the 12th round and a guarantee they all got 625pa or 210ip than a single pick in each of the first twelve rounds.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 21, 2021

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

abelwingnut posted:

i would rather have 12 picks in the 12th round and a guarantee they all got 625pa or 210ip than a single pick in each of the first twelve rounds.

uhhh...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I traded Machado for Darvish because my pitching sucks. Hanging in there in 8th place. Need to get to 6 to make the playoffs.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
fml, ketel marte just pulled a hamstring

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Marte wasn't even running hard, and hasn't been since he's returned from the IL. What the hell.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Hell, I'll say it, baseball players are soft

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

General Bullshit posted:

I thought I was being smart drafting him and staying away from Buxton but alas :negative:
im in two leagues and in one of them i drafted both those guys. i cant believe they've both pulled the exact same "miss 95% of the season, come back and look awesome, immediately get hurt again" maneuver. just a stunning way to maximize frustration

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Doltos posted:

Hell, I'll say it, baseball players are soft

Kevin Pillar would like a word...

Back on the field two weeks after that hit by pitch and got a single in his return. Maybe he's the exception to the rule, but he's a helluva exception!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I really want to add Alek Manoah, who is somehow on waivers, but IDK who to drop? Aguilar and go with zero bench?

(Also, lol that it's Manoah who's good after I stashed Nate Pearson for months in multiple leagues)

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Ketel Marte back in the lineup tonight

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Ketel Marte hurt again..........................

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Schweinhund posted:

Ketel Marte back in the lineup tonight

Schweinhund posted:

Ketel Marte hurt again..........................

Just :lol: at this poo poo. Fire the entire Diamondbacks organization.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Players I drafted, then dropped, and wish I hadn't:

Kyle Schwarber
Austin Riley
Ryan Mountcastle

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

The Pussy Boss posted:

Players I drafted, then dropped, and wish I hadn't:

Kyle Schwarber
Austin Riley
Ryan Mountcastle

Understandable on all three. They looked lost at times.

You could be me and draft Lourdes Gurriel way too loving soon and have him languishing on your bench all season.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hello, it is I, the Brandon Lowe in the 6th round drafter here to tell you about bench languishing!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Deleted a dumb Trevor Bauer joke. Nm

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 30, 2021

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Inspector_666 posted:

Hello, it is I, the Brandon Lowe in the 6th round drafter here to tell you about bench languishing!

The Rays have a weird habit of benching a guy who seems to be emerging from a slump. They did it twice to Randy Arozarena and now they're doing it to Brandon Lowe who actually dingered off a lefty.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

General Bullshit posted:

The Rays have a weird habit of benching a guy who seems to be emerging from a slump. They did it twice to Randy Arozarena and now they're doing it to Brandon Lowe who actually dingered off a lefty.

Sorry but the analytics said to bench him by a 0.000000003% margin. Numbers don’t lie.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
middle reliever Tim Hill scored a save when the Padres game was called in the 5th

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've had none of my batters really underperform outside of constant injuries which mean's I'm due for one hell of a regression right in time for playoffs

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
In a 10 teamer, I have literally no C since regression hit Yermin Mercedes so hard that he got demoted. Some dude wants to give me Gary Sanchez for either Giolito or Luis Castillo. I'm pondering the Giolito option because he's been only semi-good this year. Think that's worth doing? The waiver catcher options are pure trash: McCann, Tucker Barnhart, Yan Gomes, etc.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

coronaball posted:

In a 10 teamer, I have literally no C since regression hit Yermin Mercedes so hard that he got demoted. Some dude wants to give me Gary Sanchez for either Giolito or Luis Castillo. I'm pondering the Giolito option because he's been only semi-good this year. Think that's worth doing? The waiver catcher options are pure trash: McCann, Tucker Barnhart, Yan Gomes, etc.

Sánchez had two passed balls today that while didn’t lose the game outright greatly contributed to the Yanks being down by 8. I wouldn’t be surprised if he loses the job outright when he goes back to his months long hitting slump. There are no other trade options at catcher for those guys? I feel you’ll be back to where you’re at now in a month but with one less pitcher.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I like Giolito a lot better than Luis Castillo, but I'm a Castillo hater. I'd probably do that trade for Castillo, but OTOH you could probably get more for him because a lot of people seem to value him as an ace.

If you're scraping the bottom of the barrel for a catcher, is Eric Haase available? Just hit his 2nd dinger of the day, 11th of the year. Seems to be in a timeshare but thats most catchers these days.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I'd do it because I think if you have a good catcher it's a huge edge over all the team with lovely catchers. Now I think the chances of him being a good catcher are like 33% but it's probably still worth it.

What you should consider is who you'd be replacing Castillo/Giolito with and if that downgrade is worse than the no catcher -> Sanchez upgrade. I've been able to get ok SPs off waivers so I'd probably do the trade.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Hasn't Sanchez been pretty lovely this year? If you're going to move one of those pitchers, surely you can get something better. I'd imagine your team is better off streaming catchers than trading a good starter for a mediocre bat.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Well if you're going by how they've done this year, Luis Castillo has a 5.08 ERA

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Castillo had a historically abysmal start, but he's gotten his act together over the last month or so. Five of his last six were quality starts, and he was one out shy of a QS in the sixth, while getting a good amount of K's. He's not quite back to that elite level, but I can't imagine the catcher gap from the waiver wire to Gary Sanchez is worth giving that up.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

don't do anything rash with cole or chapman, people.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DeepDickPizza posted:

Castillo had a historically abysmal start, but he's gotten his act together over the last month or so. Five of his last six were quality starts, and he was one out shy of a QS in the sixth, while getting a good amount of K's. He's not quite back to that elite level, but I can't imagine the catcher gap from the waiver wire to Gary Sanchez is worth giving that up.

Doltos posted:

I instantly snatched him off of waivers. He seems like a 10 day IL stint away from being okay value. His babip is pretty high and his FIP is abnormally skyrocketed. It looks like his hard hit% and pitch location is right up the middle with a ton of grounders and fly balls, so people are just keying in on his change up and hitting the piss out of it.

I'm banking that he stops throwing so many change ups, or that he's hurt and he's throwing so many because his four seamer has lost like 2 mph on average.

This is why I never have to or need to draft SP

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

abelwingnut posted:

I will just say it's a pretty big coincidence Cole went from an above average pitcher to unhittable the same time he moved to the AL and was on the same team as Verlander who was a pretty big customer of the Angels visiting clubhouse manager.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

abelwingnut posted:

Hey now, those are all stars.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Someone dropped Patrick Corbin and I picked him up. Should i just bench him and hope he fixes himself. He won't be this lovely all year, will he?

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
I carried Sixto Sanchez on one of my rosters for the first couple months of the season. Gave up on him in early June. Turns out it was the right move (for a change) because he's officially shut down for the season.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31765528/with-shoulder-surgery-looming-pitching-prospect-sixto-sanchez-shut-miami-marlins

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

DeepDickPizza posted:

That's the conclusion I came to as well. Those pitchers are just a little too good to trade for an average catcher. Guess I'll keep streaming or maybe go catcher's. Thanks all

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This SOB i'm playing this week already has 3 5-RBI games and it's Wednesday.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

mcmagic posted:

Someone dropped Patrick Corbin and I picked him up. Should i just bench him and hope he fixes himself. He won't be this lovely all year, will he?

He’s been fine the last 4 out of 5 games, the one bad game against the Dodgers so I’d say that’s a solid pickup

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Ronald Acuna Jr :rip:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Easily my most cursed year for injuries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

General Bullshit posted:

Ronald Acuna Jr :rip:

Hitting drop on him was physically painful.