Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I got really lucky with the greedy shadows. All three I encountered before getting search were successful. Made me think, "maybe it isn't as bad as an actual coin-flip."

Gotta love RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zokari posted:

yeah this is why it's so silly that people stress out about finishing tartarus in 1 night

in the back half of the game you have loving NOTHING to do at night

It's funny because you actually have more to do in Reload than FES since you have hangouts with the team and using the computer. In FES/P3P once you finished the two nighttime links and maxed your stats the only things to do are part time jobs, boosting Persona stats at the arcade, and walks with Koromaru.

FeMC actually got a bit more nighttime content thanks to the three new links that take place at night.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Though honestly past a certain point it would be hard NOT to clear tartarus in a single night. When Yukari is full healing my team for only 4sp and my main character can win many of the battles using one cast of myriad of arrows that only takes some health and no sp. And this is even before accounting for Fuuka occasionally just giving you all your sp back for free, or all the many sp recovery items you collect over time.

Clearing Tartarus in one day on your first couple blocks feels good, but after that its just standard. I just did the entirety of the end of november / start of december block in one day and my party is MC with literally full sp, Yukari with 305 sp, Aigus completely full, and koromaru with 249. If I was able to keep going I'm confident Fuuka would give me all my sp back again before I hit 0.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 19, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

From what I remember, it can spawn in the first part of Block 5, but you only get the request after the second part opens up anyway. I could be wrong though.

Also yeah, get Tartarus Search, it's way better than blind-guessing (which I only managed to do once successfully).

as an aside: the choices that lead to success are actually pre-determined. If you get a greedy shadow and fail, you can reload a save from after you went to tartarus and go back to the same floor and you'll get the greedy shadow again, and the path it takes will be the same. So you can brute force it in a few tries if you're willing to redo however many floors since you last saved. I've only done this once when it happened to spawn like 2 floors after a teleporter, though, because it is a giant pain in the rear end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah as much as I like reload that's why I think getting rid of some of the friction and not replacing it with enough was a bad move.

You can pretty easily do stuff in single runs in P5 but st least in p5R there is a significant variety of side activities at night even if many of them are variations on "do minigame or hangout for social points". Long periods of p3r is just, go to arcade or eat ramen.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Seconding Caligula 2. Awesome game.

Adding to this.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Me: holy poo poo, persona 3 rerelease!

Also me: $70 oh hell no

Also also me: $30 for persona 5 royal. That will do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Janissary Hop posted:

Big reason to Always Be Fusing is just to make Elizabeth lighten up on the compendium costs. What does she even do with the money??????

She is addicted to the mobile game "Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle"

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

Me: holy poo poo, persona 3 rerelease!

Also me: $70 oh hell no

Also also me: $30 for persona 5 royal. That will do.

It's closer to $105 for the full experience if you're not on GP :v:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Alder posted:

It's closer to $105 for the full experience if you're not on GP :v:

That reminds me, one thing I've been curious about : are the DLC musical tracks new arrangements, or just basically the same tracks from 4 and 5? Because if they're new or remixed or whatever, I may have to give them a shot. (if not, forget about it, I can listen to "Throw Away Your Mask" on youtube whenever I want)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why would they be new

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Arist posted:

Why would they be new

I dunno, P5 Strikers/Scramble had some cool remixes/arrangements of P5 songs. I wasn't expecting it to be the case for these ones, but I figured I'd ask.

e: I guess what I'm really asking is, is there any reason whatsoever to buy the DLC music?

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 20, 2024

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Majorian posted:

I dunno, P5 Strikers/Scramble had some cool remixes/arrangements of P5 songs. I wasn't expecting it to be the case for these ones, but I figured I'd ask.

e: I guess what I'm really asking is, is there any reason whatsoever to buy the DLC music?

No?
Like, unless you're also getting a copy of the song outside of the game why would you do that

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Neeksy posted:

No?
Like, unless you're also getting a copy of the song outside of the game why would you do that

Good, that's why I asked. Thanks!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Well I did at least get my partner started in on 5 and I'd forgotten what a strikingly gorgeous game it is. I haven't played it since release on PS3. I wish more video games were that visually creative.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Beat Elizabeth (e: on hard), after more attempts than I'd care to admit. Did not enjoy that fight at all. I kept triggering the 9,999 Megidolaons for reasons that I don't entirely understand. I think it probably had something to do with "phase 2," as defined by this guide, but I'm not sure. i don't care for superboss battles where you have to do actual math. Or math in general. I see math as a form of dark magic that we need to purge from society.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 21, 2024

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/ScrambledFaz/status/1770789142898614601

I kinda want the the mug but money :v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Majorian posted:

Beat Elizabeth (e: on hard),

Partner set it to the super easy you can't adjust out of :negative:

I might try to convince him to restart and change that little incorrect decision.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

Partner set it to the super easy you can't adjust out of :negative:

I might try to convince him to restart and change that little incorrect decision.

lol, to be fair, I imagine Elizabeth on super-easy is still pretty hard. You still have all the arbitrary rules, the need to time certain attacks at certain HP brackets, etc etc, and if you gently caress any of that up you get the insta-wipe. I don't know from personal experience, though; if someone has tried it, I'd be curious to know.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I skip the Elizabeth fight because it doesn't even sound -fun-.

I'll keep going at it and beat things like Elden Ring or Bloodborne because there's more than one way to win these fights with your own mettle, but this is just following a script with unwritten rules.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I ended up falling two social links short of fully platinuming the game on one playthrough. Given that I didn't follow any kind of guide and often made sub optimal choices for how I spent my time, it feels like this game really eased up on the time needed to do things. Like social links needed less points to rank up each time maybe?

Anyway, if I wanted to burn through the game on fastforward on new game plus to get that last trophy, do I miss anything from ignoring every single elizabeth request? I genuinely forget if any of them unlock things that make social links easier. Like I can still get the dating site url in the late game, and the relationship fortunes at the shrine either way right?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

elizabeth is more of a puzzle than a fight

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Starting to wonder if a lot of people have somehow never encountered the concept of a puzzle fight in an rpg before

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like puzzle fights, I just happen not to like P3's.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Starting to wonder if a lot of people have somehow never encountered the concept of a puzzle fight in an rpg before

the problem is that making your optional superboss a puzzle fight is a terrible idea. puzzle fights are best used sparingly because they usually feel kind of lame and disconnected from the way the game is normally played. optional superbosses are supposed to be a way of making use of the really high end poo poo that you can't expect most players to obtain. Elizabeth doesn't fill that niche because she's a puzzle boss: 90% of the high end poo poo you have access to will cause her to insta-kill you.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I think there's also a fine line between a boss being a puzzle and a boss just being a checklist of things you adjust for over several trial and error deaths.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

the problem is that making your optional superboss a puzzle fight is a terrible idea. puzzle fights are best used sparingly because they usually feel kind of lame and disconnected from the way the game is normally played. optional superbosses are supposed to be a way of making use of the really high end poo poo that you can't expect most players to obtain. Elizabeth doesn't fill that niche because she's a puzzle boss: 90% of the high end poo poo you have access to will cause her to insta-kill you.

Yeah, exactly. To some degree the fight with Lavenza in 5R is a puzzle fight, but it's not stifling like the fight with Elizabeth is. I think my favorite Persona superboss fight though is Margaret in 4G, because then it's just a full-on, no-holds-barred slugfest.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it also feels completely arbitrary

building a super tough hard to kill persona will get you killed, the game doesn't even tell you that's why it happened

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There’s also the fact that P3 basically doesn’t let you use most of the tricks you’ve been learning through the game. Can’t go overboard with fusion to make a super Persona. Can’t bring friends.

Like with P5R you have to use Technicals and set up crits. P4 is more open and you can use all the power you’re accumulated like Ultimate Persona skills.

P3 restrains you in a way that forces you to play everything differently, and not in an innately fun way.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

LibbyM posted:

I think there's also a fine line between a boss being a puzzle and a boss just being a checklist of things you adjust for over several trial and error deaths.

Yeah, it's this. Elizabeth isn't an interesting puzzle to solve. She's got a very arbitrary feeling set of hoops you have to jump through and if you miss one she kills you and you have to restart. Feels less like a real fight and more like a farming checklist.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My immediate first thought was that Elizabeth was made that way to make you use a guide.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I finally decided to test out the theory that Junpei's second theurgy has crazy scaling to make up for his terrible magic stat and I can confirm that after pumping him to 80 MAG with incenses that a raw Blaze of Life now hits like a Charged Scarlet Havoc. It does like 2500 damage with zero prep.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

Oh yeah I wouldn't say that Elizabeth is a great puzzle boss, just that it seemed like some people didn't understand the concept lol

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cock hero flux posted:

I finally decided to test out the theory that Junpei's second theurgy has crazy scaling to make up for his terrible magic stat and I can confirm that after pumping him to 80 MAG with incenses that a raw Blaze of Life now hits like a Charged Scarlet Havoc. It does like 2500 damage with zero prep.

Now run him with Yuka-tan.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
drat why is persona 5 royal so much more expensive on xbox than ps5. i swear i bought it for ps5 for like 20 bucks on sale and on xbox it's permanently 60 bucks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was gonna say it came out more recently on Xbox, but I remembered that the PS5 version came out at the same time, lol. Yeah, it's silly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Persona 5 Royal was on Gamepass for a long time which probably contributes. I think it only left it a few months ago?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
They had some really weird rear end sales on Xbox, at one point 5 was $59.99 while the 3+4+5 bundle was $58.49.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
When you remember you've left the soldering iron on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

12/10 on my new game plus fast forward mindless playthrough and I have every social link maxed (except the fool, judgement, and aeon obviously). This was with wasting some time still doing things like a few of the linked episodes. So on new game plus there's an exceptionally high number of spare days for social links.

If the game wasn't so slow paced, even on fast forward, I'd be tempted to see if I could get a 100% playthrough without new game plus or a guide. It feels like it'd be pretty doable this time.