Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
P1 has a really unique story for a JRPG of its time in particular, but one of the things that's most interesting about it is just its atmosphere and situational difference with the current ones in that there is no return to normal life until it's over, otherwise people in the streets are literally dying from monster attacks and the city is shut down.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Nephrite posted:

I don't disagree with you, but Deadline versus Bloody Destiny???

That would be a fun one to hear remastered.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neeksy posted:

P1 has a really unique story for a JRPG of its time in particular, but one of the things that's most interesting about it is just its atmosphere and situational difference with the current ones in that there is no return to normal life until it's over, otherwise people in the streets are literally dying from monster attacks and the city is shut down.

The main story being so focused on a single character gives it a very different feel from the other games in the series, even the other characters you interact or fight are interrelated with Maki and her plight in some way. It's interesting that the closest the game gets to that strand again is in Q.

The atmosphere is also killer. The later Persona games tend to have a veneer of normalcy and the SMT games have an apocalyptic quality, but also a sense of humanity adapting to the circumstances whether that's founding Tokyo Millennium or managing interdemonic relationships with Reds. Persona feels removed, the city has been ripped out of space and it's being warped under the inscrutable whims of a megalomaniac and a child's id. It's bizarre in tone but also has a constant sense of dread and depression that doesn't really come across in P2 which is more manic or the later games which has the real world interludes that prevent the tone from ever really taking over the game the way it does in 1.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

P1 and P2 are cool stories and cool characters that are trapped with bad gameplay and I hope any updated forms fix that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, the battle systems of 1 and 2(IS) are the problems, EP figured out how to make it work better but could still be updated to more contemporary sensibilities.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Obviously I think some modern sensibilities will be brought in. I wouldn't be too surprised if One Mores or All Out Attacks were there, though that could also just not be involved.

Honestly, it's the 5-person party that might be the real stumbling point, 4-person parties have basically been the JRPG standard for the last 10 years unless you're a dungeon crawler or a tactical RPG.

Heck, they might toss out the 'you must pick one person to be the final slot' in 1, and have a customizable party that lets you swap in and out Brown, Eriko, Ayase and Reiji. Or for Snow Queen, Brown, Nanjo and Eriko.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Remake If first

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

hatty posted:

Remake If first
Monark was an attempt, just not by Atlus.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Nephrite posted:

I don't disagree with you, but Deadline versus Bloody Destiny???

Both of them are bangers, but I prefer Bloody Destiny.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I still think that a good way to remake P1 and P2 might be to use a system similar to what was used in PQ, where each character has a primary Persona that determines their baseline stats and skills, and the ability to equip a sub-Persona (possibly from a limited selection of Arcanas per character) to add to their loadout.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Junpei posted:

Honestly, it's the 5-person party that might be the real stumbling point, 4-person parties have basically been the JRPG standard for the last 10 years unless you're a dungeon crawler or a tactical RPG.

Are p1/2 not dungeon crawlers?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sorry, when I use that term I almost exclusively mean stuff like Etrian Odyssey, where you create characters in classes.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

literally all i want from a p1 remake is the og music as a default or a toggle or w/e, that and keeping the old sfx/cutscenes somewhere

the psp vers of 2 are much closer to the ogs so imo those are fine just being ported and tled (for EP), i guess IS could have tweaked number values and undoing the minor sprite censorships it got??

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

They know their gacha audience that’s for sure

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Especially the way that Midori twitter person is telling people to temper their expectations, it'll almost certainly be just an upscaled port of the PSP versions, similar to the P3P remaster last year.
If we're really really lucky maybe the P1 port will have an option to use the original soundtrack and restore the missing sound effects, etc.
The PSP versions of 1 and 2 didn't exactly set the world on fire, Atlus USA didn't even localize the P2: EP PSP version in English after all. I don't see Atlus choosing to spend a lot of resources on them.
Honestly I really love P1 and 2 but they're so different that they might as well be a different series than 3-5, I kind of doubt that most fans of 3-5 would really be that interested in them.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I do think of Persona's world/continuity splitting entirely between 2/3, despite the very surface callbacks in 3. Those are easter eggs at best.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Maybe Atlus agreed to P5X because they knew without their participation, Chinese players would get more of, well, this:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think they agreed to p5x because they want money op

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That too of course

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Apparently the creators of that gacha really liked Mitsuru because they made both Red-Haired Actual Mitsuru and Brown-Haired "We Have Mitsuru At Home" characters :lol::lol:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
So they have good taste?!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wonder what French Persona players think of Mitsuru and Bebe.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wonder what French Persona players think of Mitsuru and Bebe.

RE: Bebe: France has a centuries-long tradition of arts folks being fascinated with Japan plus whatever they call modern weeaboos. They'd probably be more amused at Bebe's weird choice for a name and looking like a stereotypical westerner (pale, blonde, blue eyes).

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 15, 2024

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Item Getter posted:

Especially the way that Midori twitter person is telling people to temper their expectations, it'll almost certainly be just an upscaled port of the PSP versions, similar to the P3P remaster last year.
If we're really really lucky maybe the P1 port will have an option to use the original soundtrack and restore the missing sound effects, etc.
The PSP versions of 1 and 2 didn't exactly set the world on fire, Atlus USA didn't even localize the P2: EP PSP version in English after all. I don't see Atlus choosing to spend a lot of resources on them.
Honestly I really love P1 and 2 but they're so different that they might as well be a different series than 3-5, I kind of doubt that most fans of 3-5 would really be that interested in them.

My understanding is that PSP EP couldn't get localized for licensing reasons, but I've never seen an explanation of what might be the issue.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
who owns hitler's image

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hitler is in IS

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Hitler was in the other Persona 2

fatsleepycat posted:

My understanding is that PSP EP couldn't get localized for licensing reasons, but I've never seen an explanation of what might be the issue.

Maybe it was the Lovecraft stuff since I've heard the new side content references his stories a lot more than the original games did.
Though I've seen sales charts of the Persona games and the PSP P2 IS/EP did sell pretty poorly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lovecraft's stuff is all public domain. I'm pretty sure it didn't get localized because it technically already had an English version and would've made the company zero dollars back on the investment

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They did a digital release of the PS1 P2 at the same time as the release of the remake, it was 100% because they already had an existing version.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This was back in the Index days when the parent company was too busy doing money laundering fraud or whatever to translate a game a second time

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Innocent Sin also probably didn't sell super well since the PSP was pretty dead in NA by that point.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I hope they scale down the number of elements in P1. There were Too drat Many.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think it was a neat IDEA to use both the RPG/Greek four elements with the scientific four fundamental forces, but the game was not equipped to deal with these weaknesses in a way that made sense to the players.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every great RPG needs two good ideas for its combat system. P1 has like six halfbaked ideas.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, doesn't P1 also have a huge bloat of damage types in part because every single party member's melee attack is a different type for some reason

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

They have all the weapon types, the element types, the forces, nerve, psyche, and light and dark.
It's ALL OF THEM.
The game has no idea how to balance them all and should have vastly reduced the physical attack types at the very least.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
side note i remembered talking on another site about how someone summarized Innocent Sin as a bunch of teenagers screwing things up and Eternal Punishment being about adults fixing their mistakes and then someone made a funny comment going "I don't think Katsuya, Ulala and Baofu are all that more competent or smart than Eikichi, Lisa and Jun"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m three hours in Persona 3 Reload. I’ve played P3P and my memories are fuzzy. Did Mitsuru speak French in that one? I’m playing Reload on the English dub and I’m in Tartarus, and whenever she pops up to say something, she says a word or two in French.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she did, though they added a few more instances of it in p3r. but it was always a thing.

in the original japanese she spoke english as a second language but obviously you cant translate that, into english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh. I figured it was in character, but I thought it might also be a random bug where the French dub leaked or something.