Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can see why you would be confused though, because Allegra Clark's French pronunciation is very good and Tara Platt's was... not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Akihiko also knows French, though he only uses a single word during P3 (“Oui”). Junpei implies it’s a senior elective.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Akihiko also knows French, though he only uses a single word during P3 (“Oui”). Junpei implies it’s a senior elective.

i don't know if that really implies that he speaks french, it seemed like he was just playing along with mitsuru's thing and like, everyone knows "oui"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
More persona 3 characters should have said things like "hon hon hon. la bibleotheque".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

More persona 3 characters should have said things like "hon hon hon. la bibleotheque".

Reminded of that Mock The Week bit where someone goes "French Exam. Tell us about your plans for the afternoon, but the library's flooded, and the pool's burned down."

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

Arist posted:

I can see why you would be confused though, because Allegra Clark's French pronunciation is very good and Tara Platt's was... not

To be fair, on a meta level having the dub feature dubious French is a great substitute for the original featuring dubious English.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cock hero flux posted:

i don't know if that really implies that he speaks french, it seemed like he was just playing along with mitsuru's thing and like, everyone knows "oui"

I mean, Junpei didn’t.

I imagine it wasn’t conversational level French, just enough for vocab, he wouldn’t be a speaker like Mitsuru. Probably the kind to forget 90% of what he learned in a few years

That or he’s been fighting with Mitsuru for years, he just picked up a little from hearing her.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.rpgfan.com/2024/04/16/metaphor-refantazio-showcase-april-22nd/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Two questions about Reload:

1. I found P5R on Hard to be a bit too easy. Enough to be fun, but I wouldn't have minded if it was a bit tougher (outside of Okumura, of course). Would I be better off on Hard or Merciless for P3R?

2. How feasible is it to max all social links without a guide and/or rigorous planning?

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I'm close to the end of the game on Merciless and the amount of fights I've had to retry can be counted on a single hand, and they were usually more puzzle based fights, so I think you should be fine with Merciless. Social Link routing is pretty generous in this game, for the most part if you just prioritize links that can advance to next level when given a choice between multiple, you should be fine. You'll probably want a guide for the answers just so you don't have to reload constantly to get the ideal outcomes. Otherwise, they removed most of the mechanics regarding links reversing in this version, so you can freely open new links and advance them at your leisure and scheduling isn't an issue.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

1. I found P5R on Hard to be a bit too easy. Enough to be fun, but I wouldn't have minded if it was a bit tougher (outside of Okumura, of course). Would I be better off on Hard or Merciless for P3R?

2. How feasible is it to max all social links without a guide and/or rigorous planning?

unlike p5 merciless is strictly harder than hard here, you don't get a giant weakness multiplier. Merciless was not insanely hard so you'd probably be better off there.

it's very feasible if you just follow a few basic principles, namely that you should be doing a school s. link every day that they're available and that you should pick one that will rank up to spend time on if possible. School s.links are the only things in the game that have any kind of time crunch on them, so making sure that you 100% prioritize them when they're available is enough to let you do everything in one run.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

1. P3R is, unfortunately, pretty easy after the first few story bosses due to all the new mechanics they give you. If you want, do the first few months on Hard then bump up to Merciless.

2. It’s pretty tight. I’d say it’s possible, but may involve a bit of reloading. Otherwise, prioritise school links where possible. I came into it semi-prepared (no guides, but I’d played P3P before), and I was about 4 days short of maxing everyone.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

One thing that I found helps a lot is starting every link at the first opportunity, particularly if they take place outside of school. There's a handful of dead weeks like the lead up to exams where school links are unavailable even though you're still going there that these are perfect for, plus the occasional holiday that also blocks off school links.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I played on hard and found P3R outside the Elizabeth fight, because of what kind of fight it is, incredibly easy overall. I maxed all except 3 SLs and probably could have maxed all of them if I had planned a bit better at the beginning but it's not near as tight as the original version. Definitely focus on school links if they're available because there are somewhat unexpected moments where you lose access to them. Summer break is a great time to take care of a lot of the rest.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently that Aigis phone game is getting a port? Watch this space for more info I guess

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

wait, there was a phone game other than the gacha? :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aegis THE FIRST MISSION, which is a phone game from 2007 that looks like this:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maybe they realized P5 spin-offs were no longer selling and had to turn to P3 stuff instead.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tactica didn’t do well I reckon

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Arist posted:

Looking forward to the inevitable Marsh video on it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hatty posted:

I've heard that's getting more DLC apparently, which is wild if true

I wouldn't be opposed to Sophia and Zenkichi showing up though, which would have to be what they do

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
why would they port that

looks perfect as it is

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hatty posted:

Discounted everywhere I look but being on GamePass day 1 probably didn't help actual sales.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm weirdly bothered by how spell effects are so off-center on character models in Reload lol

I'm used to that in Persona games for enemies--I always thought it was hilarious how in the original P3/P4, Bufudyne looked like you were just showing the enemy a big ice cube and they fall over--but for some reason it's really bugging me for player characters.

I'll get over it and from my googling I appear to be the only person who even noticed, but y'know.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/NoisyPixelNews/status/1780937584237236279

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2850150/GMODE_3__THE_FIRST_MISSION/

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

I've heard that's getting more DLC apparently, which is wild if true

I wouldn't be opposed to Sophia and Zenkichi showing up though, which would have to be what they do

Tactica is set before Strikers though, so there would be zero narrative sense in them showing up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The DLC for Tactica is set before that game!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
the Akechi/Kasumi DLC already makes no sense and that didn't stop them

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

P5 spinoffs are a bit overdone, but I will be kind of sad if we move on to P6 and its spinoffs without ever getting a full thieves meetup with the Royal and Strikers (and Tactica I guess) crews.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Irisize posted:

P5 spinoffs are a bit overdone, but I will be kind of sad if we move on to P6 and its spinoffs without ever getting a full thieves meetup with the Royal and Strikers (and Tactica I guess) crews.

I'm sure they'll all show up in the gacha game

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arist posted:

There's a deep, forgotten world of Japanese phone games from circa 2007.

They all look like this tbh.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Just finished up the first boss in P3R. I've bever played on Merciless before. I managed to win with less than 30 seconds to spare. Holy poo poo, what an experience.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I won that fight on the exact second the clock expired, and only because I got a crit. Was a pretty good feeling.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I don’t know why I keep playing these games when they all wreck me emotionally for at least a week after I’m finished. Even the happy ending of P4G wrecked me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Getting a late start on Reload. Clearing the first block of Tartarus in one day on Merciless wasn't nearly as tough as I was expecting it to be, though I did end up burning 7 fragments on a clock heal towards the end (and then immediately came across two chests I couldn't open, instant karma :negative:)

I'm sure it's been talked to death here but I'm very much not sold on the new recordings of some of the songs. But other than that this has been pretty fantastic so far and the inclusion of baton pass/shift is making me very happy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Harrow posted:

Getting a late start on Reload. Clearing the first block of Tartarus in one day on Merciless wasn't nearly as tough as I was expecting it to be, though I did end up burning 7 fragments on a clock heal towards the end (and then immediately came across two chests I couldn't open, instant karma :negative:)

I'm sure it's been talked to death here but I'm very much not sold on the new recordings of some of the songs. But other than that this has been pretty fantastic so far and the inclusion of baton pass/shift is making me very happy.

So far the only clock heal I've done is one during that first Tartarus run.

You'll have plenty of fragment things to open all the chests later, so don't worry about that. I also felt bad about not being able to open them after spending fragments on the heal, but you'll never run into the problem again (and you'll have enough fragments to open the ones you missed next time you go to Tartarus).

mastajake posted:

Just finished up the first boss in P3R. I've bever played on Merciless before. I managed to win with less than 30 seconds to spare. Holy poo poo, what an experience.

I lost my first try because I didn't realize how much the time would drop later and wasted a lot of time throwing around buffs.

Second try I had a couple minutes to spare - I didn't even bother with buffs and just focused on spamming damage attacks.

While it still seemingly has the issue of becoming somewhat easier later, I do like that Merciless isn't completely trivial like all the difficulties in P5.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Harrow posted:

I never listened to the originals so I only had positive reactions to the reload soundtrack. Which original tracks should I check out that you think are better?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Only song I would call a downgrade is Mass Destruction everything else is equal or better

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unavoidable Battle loses a lot of the impact in Reload, the guitar is too clean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's mostly Mass Destruction, yeah. The clearer vocals and enunciated "baby" in the chorus just feels wrong to me. Though having listened to the OST I'm also not a huge fan of Burn My Dread - Last Battle in this version, either--in this case I think the vocals lack the energy and punch of the original.

The new music is good, though I think the new battle theme isn't quite as good as the new themes from P4G or P5R (or Wiping All Out from P3P). There's one tune that plays in the Iwatodai Station Strip Mall I think at night that I don't recognize, either it's new or my memory's worse than I thought, but I like it a lot.