Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Persona 3 did that and it was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

lunar detritus posted:

After playing Fire Emblem Three Houses, I really hope Atlus adds scenes between characters without the MC in the future. It doesn't even need to have as many ranks as the normal social links, just three or four "levels" would be enough to add a ton of characterization.

I like the vignettes in P5 where they come up with team attacks

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Persona 3 did that and it was good.

YES! seeing Mitsuru and Yukari bury the hatchet was super awesome and loved seeing them have some actual character growth outside of the MC’s sphere of influence. Sadly it shortly led to a hot spring bullshit moment but anime tropes gonna anime :sigh:

Would really like to see more of that please

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
been jammin to this today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WMWP2V_7QM

e: and very much this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ3gDU0-eR0

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 22, 2021

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Every cast member in P5R gets a conversation with Maruki right? I thought those were neat

I'm wondering if I can play P4G on my Mac, that would be cool since I really liked the anime of that game

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

What is it about Japanese jazz that rules so much?

Great OP; Persona 5 Royal is my first Persona game, and it is thick. But I'm loving it. Will I miss anything from P5R if I picked up P4G to play after?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I spent three hours today listening to the P5 soundtrack while doing chores and I still want more. Also I skip none of the tracks. It’s that good.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Squiggle posted:

What is it about Japanese jazz that rules so much?

Great OP; Persona 5 Royal is my first Persona game, and it is thick. But I'm loving it. Will I miss anything from P5R if I picked up P4G to play after?
You might miss stuff like Baton Pass, but most of the gameplay improvements from P4G to P5 are fairly minor, IMO. P4G is still good, at least in the gameplay department.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Baton Pass is the thing I miss from P5 when I go back and play P4G. It was a really big battle system improvement in P5 that got even better in Royal.

That said P4G plays just fine without it. It's just an adjustment to get used to not being able to pass your 1 More to someone else. Oh, and be careful because the button you use to open the skills menu in combat in P5 is the one that initiates auto-battle in P4 and no that didn't get me killed when I started P4G again why would you ask :v:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

Baton Pass is the thing I miss from P5 when I go back and play P4G. It was a really big battle system improvement in P5 that got even better in Royal.

Baton Pass in P5R is _so_ good, even if it took me until the Okumura's boss battle to truly understand how great it is. It even makes the elemental damage items useful.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

baton pass is so aesthetically cool that how good the actual mechanic is, is completely outshined by that fact imo

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Oh, and be careful because the button you use to open the skills menu in combat in P5 is the one that initiates auto-battle in P4 and no that didn't get me killed when I started P4G again why would you ask :v:

Being able to access every battle option in Persona 5 with a single button press is really slick and I miss it when I play any other JRPG.

Golden’s really good though and it shouldn’t be hard to go back. Hell I want to when I’m done with my Royal NG+. I believe it was the debut of manual skill inheritance so it dodges the biggest hurdle of playing old games.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Being able to access every battle option in Persona 5 with a single button press is really slick and I miss it when I play any other JRPG.

Golden’s really good though and it shouldn’t be hard to go back. Hell I want to when I’m done with my Royal NG+. I believe it was the debut of manual skill inheritance so it dodges the biggest hurdle of playing old games.

It's really nice but then it kills me when the animations are so slow, It's one of the reasons I still mostly prefer the pre 3d rpg's

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Yeah, I hope that menu design catches on more. Hell, Super Mario RPG did it all the way back on the SNES. Recently, Yakuza: Like a Dragon has the same battle menu setup, which I really appreciated.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's really nice but then it kills me when the animations are so slow, It's one of the reasons I still mostly prefer the pre 3d rpg's

It is definitely noticeably slower-paced in battle compared to P5. Having the characters in P5 pre-summon their personas when you press the triangle button is a huge time save and feels really slick.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I played P4G with Cheat Engine's speedhack during the dungeon crawling, toggling it when necessary, and I think it's the ideal way to play it. According to Steam and the internal save timer, it saved me about 10 hours.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

It is definitely noticeably slower-paced in battle compared to P5. Having the characters in P5 pre-summon their personas when you press the triangle button is a huge time save and feels really slick.
Yeah, it's pretty good in P5, I do think there's still a problem with Enemy animations, I think that's what leads to all the hate for Okumura. Even I got frustrated by him, and I've been bodied by hundreds of enemies in Megaten games, I think the problem isn't only that he's a difficulty spike and a technique check but also that his drat robots take loving forever to get up and then do their animations/attacks.

Reverend Stupid
Aug 7, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

I'm wondering if I can play P4G on my Mac, that would be cool since I really liked the anime of that game

I played it with bootcamp on my Macbook Pro, but it was a pain in the rear end to setup as the sound outside of movies would not play. I got around it by doing this: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1113000/discussions/0/2441461920669166773/

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

lunar detritus posted:

I played P4G with Cheat Engine's speedhack during the dungeon crawling, toggling it when necessary, and I think it's the ideal way to play it. According to Steam and the internal save timer, it saved me about 10 hours.

Same, I find speedhack to be a lifesaver in a lot of rpgs that I don't really play for battles anyways. It's also super duper easy and doesn't mess anything up. Once I experienced turbo mode in trails in the sky, it was all over lol. I could never sit through slow animations in a jrpg again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mirello posted:

Same, I find speedhack to be a lifesaver in a lot of rpgs that I don't really play for battles anyways. It's also super duper easy and doesn't mess anything up. Once I experienced turbo mode in trails in the sky, it was all over lol. I could never sit through slow animations in a jrpg again.

It saved my life in Dragon Quest 8, Love the game but drat I never would've beat it without Frameskip on 8x

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's kind of nuts how there was such a small gap between the release of P3 and P4, given the "literally almost a decade" one between P4 and P5. P6 probably won't come out until like 2025 or something.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ytlaya posted:

It's kind of nuts how there was such a small gap between the release of P3 and P4, given the "literally almost a decade" one between P4 and P5. P6 probably won't come out until like 2025 or something.

I hope they keep the Traits system Royal introduced. The Thermopylae redemption arc.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ytlaya posted:

Bits and pieces of P3 got reused for P4 plus they were on the same system.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

There's only a year between GTAIII and Vice City, and 14 months between F3 and New Vegas. Being able to work on the same engine and reuse assets is a massive bonus, It was also the sixth game they'd done on Ps2 so they probably knew the thing inside and out by that point

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

Bits and pieces of P3 got reused for P4 plus they were on the same system.

I kinda wish they'd be willing to just do P6 using the engine from P5, since P5 still looks great graphically* and people aren't exactly looking for anything super complex. An appealing aesthetic + being in 4k is enough.

* It seems like there's a practical "peak" of sorts that has already been reached when it comes to "anime-style graphics" in video games. Unlike a realistic FPS or something, you can "perfectly" recreate 3d anime people on current hardware. It's kind of difficult to imagine a game like P5 looking that much better than it already does. I guess I could imagine stuff like more detailed set pieces or Personas, but nothing dramatic along the lines of the shift from P3/4 -> P5.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I fell a little short of maxing all the social links on my second run of P4G. I missed a book or two in the first play through due to turning down/missing a meetup that I wasn't aware I'd get that book from. There's two Strength links you can choose between so I chose the other to see that story. Unfortunately you need to keep the score at a certain level to trigger these events and I feel this combined with the time to read all the books for the achievement cost me valuable hang out time.

Oh well. Nothing between me and universal popularity on the third run.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Ytlaya posted:

I kinda wish they'd be willing to just do P6 using the engine from P5, since P5 still looks great graphically* and people aren't exactly looking for anything super complex. An appealing aesthetic + being in 4k is enough.

* It seems like there's a practical "peak" of sorts that has already been reached when it comes to "anime-style graphics" in video games. Unlike a realistic FPS or something, you can "perfectly" recreate 3d anime people on current hardware. It's kind of difficult to imagine a game like P5 looking that much better than it already does. I guess I could imagine stuff like more detailed set pieces or Personas, but nothing dramatic along the lines of the shift from P3/4 -> P5.

Yeah I agree. If you're using anime graphics and not realistic ones - how much more fidelity can you really squeeze in? Seems like it's mostly gonna be "glitter" after that point.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ytlaya posted:

IIRC P4 was the last PS2 game Atlus put out, right? They were intensely familiar with the platform at that point and it built on top of the foundation that 3 laid out. Then Atlus took their sweet time figuring out HD development and getting their ducks in a line while also trying to stay afloat amidst their parent company going under. As I recall too, they were going to just release P5 on PS3 only just like how P4 was released some time into the PS3's life cycle and was only for PS2, but someone decided they could stand to make more money from releasing a PS4 port at the same time so that was probably one of the delays for P5.

HaB posted:

Yeah I agree. If you're using anime graphics and not realistic ones - how much more fidelity can you really squeeze in? Seems like it's mostly gonna be "glitter" after that point.

They could go the ArcSys route and emulate the look of hand drawn animation. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I suspect Persona 6 might be a ways off if only because it's going to have a new director--Katsura Hashino has moved on from the Persona team to do other things. There's a chance the series might take a new direction with that change, though at the same time I don't expect a change quite as drastic as Persona 3, if only because the series is now mega-popular and Atlus is likely unwilling to redo the whole formula just to do something new.

Probably the biggest areas of graphical improvement would be in even fancier lighting and making even bigger, more detailed places to explore. I could see trying to have more detailed facial animation, too.

That said, Persona 5 does already look absolutely fantastic, and in a way that I think is going to age very well because it's almost entirely down to art and style. It's like how Final Fantasy XII, despite being a PS2 game, still looks fantastic. You could upscale it to 1080p in an emulator and do nothing else and it looks almost as good as the HD remaster.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 22, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I think there are still improvements that can be done, graphics wise, but nothing revolutionary.

Keeping in mind that Persona 5 was developed first and foremost as a PS3 game, and only ported to PS4.

For one, you could have much larger "hub" areas on a PS5 powered Persona 5. Imagine the Shibuya crossing rendered at near-scale with the enormous crowds to boot.

Also of course I would be ecstatic to play a Persona game with "Anime/Manga Graphics" rendered at 4K and 60fps. In addition to the fancier lighting (ray-tracing), shadows, animations as previously mentioned by Harrow.

Hell, I would pay $$$$ for a Persona 5 remaster that had the artwork re-done and upscaled to 4K and 60fps.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Maybe we’ll get the Persona World Tour 5 was originally meant to be.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Finally got past Hollow Forest. That dungeon can go gently caress itself.

A few more hours, and I'll be done with P4G. Loved the slice of life aspect of the gameplay, and the soundtrack was fire.

My main gripe so far has been that most the MC's personas kinda felt like typical RPG equipment in that there were a lot of them and that there wasn't a lot to distinguish a persona from another aside from better stats/spells so you just upgrade for better numbers. I think I would have liked it more if there were fewer personas but each was more unique and brought distinct pros/cons when equipped. Still, this is a pretty minor issue and I really liked almost everything else about this game.

Got P5R on sale last month, so that's gonna get played once I clear out my current RPG backlog.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that's sort of how it goes with personas in the modern Persona games. Because the protagonist is the only one who can change personas and they want to give you the freedom to create personas with mix-and-match skill sets, there ultimately isn't a ton that sets each one apart.

Something that I sort of like is that some personas can pick up individual identities just because you've seen them multiple times throughout the games and you know what their deal is. There are personas that always have unique, un-inheritable skills like Alice (Die for Me!) or Yoshitsune (Hassou Tobi), but there are also personas where it's like "this persona always has this really useful ability so I know to be excited when I get to fuse it" like Trumpeter with Debilitate.

The earlier games in the series had fewer personas overall and also let every character change personas. It also made a persona's arcana really important because every character had different arcana affinities, which meant certain personas would be better-suited to certain characters but you could still mix and match if you wanted to.

I've sort of wanted that kind of system to return, but at the same time I think there are advantages to the way modern Persona does it, too. It is kind of cool how every party member except your protagonist has a persona that is their persona and strongly identified with them. And the party-building aspect that the earlier games used persona-switching for is instead handled by letting you pick your party members. In Persona 1 and 2, you'd only ever have five party members and couldn't freely switch them. You might get a choice as to who fills that fifth slot but it's a one-time choice and that's it.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

naoto shirogane

Still very relatable I mean I’m extremely neurotic as well, hard to believe Golden came out when I was in high school

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

anakha posted:

Finally got past Hollow Forest. That dungeon can go gently caress itself.

A few more hours, and I'll be done with P4G.

Just in case, there's another dungeon after Hollow Forest (it's incredibly easy to miss it though)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I had victory cry the first time I got to the hollow forest so it's whole gimmick ended up being such a hilarious non issue

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A couple special "one day only" things in P5R that are worth mentioning to anyone starting:

- Bring Yusuke to the jazz club on 9/4 and he can learn Charge. (You could also bring Ryuji but he'll naturally learn that later so it's kind of a waste)
- Bring Makoto to the jazz club on 9/25 and she can learn Concentrate. (Same as above for Ann--she'll learn it naturally later)

Both of those abilities take characters who are already pretty useful and make them some of the best party members. You can especially do some wild poo poo with Charge on Yusuke with his gimmick of having physical attacks that power up after a Baton Pass. Have him Charge up, then have someone else pass the baton to him and watch him just annihilate an enemy.

Also persona traits are a cool addition in Royal. Ryuji's is extra-bonkers--with his top-tier persona he has a chance to make anyone on the team's physical attack do +80% damage. Ryuji and Yusuke on a team together just wreck poo poo. Also it is very fun to watch Ryuji's trait make Joker's Charged-up Hassou Tobi do an extra 80% damage sometimes.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 22, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It is good and proper that Royal acknowledges that Ryuji is Very Strong and My Friend.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Anyone who assists in the Hassou Tobi massacre is a friend of mine.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Harrow posted:

- Bring Yusuke to the jazz club on 9/4 and he can learn Charge. (You could also bring Ryuji but he'll naturally learn that later so it's kind of a waste)
- Bring Makoto to the jazz club on 9/25 and she can learn Concentrate. (Same as above for Ann--she'll learn it naturally later)

I discovered this in the old Royal thread and it rules, here's the damage Ryuji and Yusuke's Showtime did after Charge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

bobjr posted:

Maybe we’ll get the Persona World Tour 5 was originally meant to be.

I'd be intrigued to see how you could even adapt the slice of life mechanics around that concept.