Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
When I'm reminded of just how much P3-5 creeps on its female characters, or has messed-up dating concepts (LET'S DATE KEN! LET'S DATE FUTABA! YOUR TEACHER!!), etc. it just makes me really miss the writing of the original persona games so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

P6 is being handled by the P5R team as Hashino's team has been working on that Re:Fantasy project for who knows how long, IIRC.

P5 generally kinda whiffs its themes and messaging, or at least the vanilla version did which is what I played, so I'm oddly hopeful that a new team can possibly try something new.
I would not mind dropping the calendar system so the pacing of the plot isn't 100% predictable by the player from the start, etc.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Arist posted:

The calendar system is Persona. Whenever people suggest getting rid of it I wonder what they think the game would be without it.

The... other games in the series? Other games that exist that they have made?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Arist posted:

No, not really. There was a six-year gap in the series there with no releases whatsoever, for one. The other thing is that Persona 3 divests from most of the trappings of the series prior, sure, but it builds something new in its place at least. That's not what was being advocated for.

"They should remove the main thing that makes this game unique and turn it back into another generic SMT spinoff" is a weird thing to ask for.

I'm not going to design a whole game premise in my brain for the purpose of this argument, though. Anything I would come up with is just speculation and would exist for you to pick apart despite having no influence on any outcomes.

Like, removing the calendar system doesn't remove the whole 'persona' thing, or the setting being a contemporary high school as its jumping-off point, or learning about these characters and their inner workings via dialogue and their reactions to things going on around them, etc.

They made a drastic jump from 2 to 3, I don't think your argument that it can't happen again because a time gap makes any sense.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The calendar system was not a super-unique idea, though. It's existed in other formats and particularly the stats-building dating sim games it borrowed directly from. My argument is that Persona doesn't mean "calendar system" and that removing it isn't taking the series' identity away so much as asking for it to tell its story through a new format, which they have literally done before.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I guess I just want to see what they'd do if they weren't constrained by having to tell a story that takes place across a calendar year, giving all the players a general marker of where they are in the story from the very beginning. It also dictates the pace of everything in a way that after three games I'm ready to move on from because it's become formula.

Was P4 successful -because- of the calendar system, or was it the art, music, characters, battle system, story, etc.? The answer is that it wasn't just any one thing. I can't credit the series success with just that framework alone, nor do I think that its popularity back then means it's a framework that can last forever. There's plenty of ways to still do the themes and character development that has the spirit of the series in mind.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

For good or for ill I'd rather have them try something actually new instead of a P2 throwback. But either option is unlikely, incrementalism is going to be the name of the game for something as big as persona has become, and I doubt the high school theme is up for debate either. I guess the best you can hope for under those constraints is that they can come up with a less rigidly formulaic scenario

This is closer to what I'm thinking. I'm fine with them keeping the high school thing, I just want the scenario to be less formulaic and maybe get a bit more psychological in how it understands personas, like how the point is that -everyone- has more than one in order to navigate the demands of the outside world, rather than making that solely a unique trait to blank slate protagonists.

I'm not gonna argue that the old games don't need hella rebalancing because yeah they're old-rear end games from the 90s and Atlus has gotten a lot better at refining stuff down in that respect. I can defend their story, characters, and presentation because even for P1 I can say they had really good sound design and the eerie way everything was hard-shaded gave it a unique look while the story and gameplay aren't really fully-developed.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I would honestly be happy if they reduced the number of personas and instead focused on making them be interesting designs/themes, while enabling the cast to switch a few around within their areas of affinity arcana-wise or do what PQ did, which as pointed out earlier in the thread was nice solution. Plus it would be nice to differentiate them from regular demon encounters in some way, rather than it feeling like you're just summoning demons like a regular SMT protag, and instead focus on giving them some neat figures that make mythological sense for these characters or themes.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

DanielCross posted:

The problem there, for me personally at least, is that I like the SMT demons. They're like Pokemon that I actually give a poo poo about, and if I can't summon Mothman or Ippon-Datara or Sandman in the next Persona game I'll be very disappointed.

The demons would remain as encounters and things you negotiate with, but the personas would be different.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Caligula Effect 2 handles the character episodes by gating them mostly by plot progression, so you don't have a case of the characters developing before they're ready in the main plot.
Although something I'd like is generally to make the character relationships feel less transactional in nature by removing some of the gamification elements around that and make the plots and what we learn about them good enough to be their own rewards. I do get that this is a part of the game's challenge and loop design, but on some level I feel like doing so ends up kinda cheapening what you're doing.

Maybe I've been blaming the calendar system for what has just been less-good character writing or thematic depth?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Was Rivers in the Desert that fight? I could have sworn it was the one for the chalice-shaped Yaldabaoth fight.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I said come in! posted:

After years of playing Persona 3 through 5 over and over again, I finally worked up the courage to play Persona 1. It just looked intimidating and dated, but it's actually not at all! Started a few days ago and right now I just finished the Lost Forest, and Mana Castle dungeons. For sure going to play Persona 2 next.

I'm really curious about how you feel about the story and ideas in the first one. I came into the series sequentially as it was released, rather than starting in the Hashino trilogy.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

They could have just had someone go through and digitally paint over the rescaled backgrounds to make them not look like poo poo, but that's too much effort for current Atlus.
If it helps, P3 is probably the worst-written of the entire series anyway so it getting a crap port is less of a big deal.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

P3 is at least better written than 4.

4 allowed for the existence of platonic relationships with the female cast, at all.
it also didn't have a giant megacorp make you scrounge up money to equip yourselves to clean up their mess and have almost nobody point out how weird and dumb that is, and robot fighting girls so i'm giving 4 a victory only by not having these things, not because it's unassailable.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah, but 4 is basically toeing the line of virulently heteronormative, even when compared to a game with Operation Babe Hunt, and one with gay sexual predators used as a punch line. Soooo, I'll go to bat that 3 is considerably better written than 4, because it's not that.
4 is not winning any prizes in my book for that stuff, it truly only outpaces 3 in that it has a far better understanding of shadows as a psych concept that 3 just leaves on the table after 2 knocked it out of the park.
I'm a 1-2 defender (in terms of story/theme/atmosphere) so my stances here are definitely my own weird take on things.

2 has the protag and the antag exchanging expensive trinkets in front of a bridal shop when they're kids, and one of the canon choices is dating him, we haven't reached that height ever since.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

I'm pretty sure the P3P FeMC canon love interest is Ryoji.

but that isn't an awesome gay couple in an atlus game?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

I tried out Persona 1 for the first time today and I wasn't quite sold on the characters until the adorable scene where Eriko comes charging into the hospital to save the day because she thinks she's the chosen one. :3:

Eriko is fukken great, she is basically the female protagonist in almost every way, to the point where she uses the same weapons and shares similar contact skills. (also she uses a rifle which are so goddamn good in that game).

P1 has amazing atmosphere and charming writing, it's a shame the PSP remake absolutely destroyed the atmosphere by taking out most of the sound effects and 3/4ths of the music tracks.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The PSP version of P1 honestly just sucks all of the atmosphere and presentation out of the whole thing, failing particularly bad with the music aspect.
Instead of fixing things that would help gameplay like eliminating the P-level system, battle grid, etc. they spent money on a few CG cutscenes that weren't remaking old CG cutscenes, but randomly replacing written scenes that were just shown normally in-game anyway, and cutting out the sound effects and 3/4ths the music tracks. Those new cutscenes didn't even have voice acting in the JP version, either. That was just something the US side thought to do.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I mean the best versions of the prior four games were portable lol

Thanks for that can of worms, buddy.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It also posited that only teenagers could have personas, which... well there goes Personas 1-2 -entirely- from how things work.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Booky posted:

oh hey it seems like theres now a newer (wip) patch of restoring p1s psx ost on the psp? https://gamebanana.com/wips/68611
I hope they can bring back the sound effects as well. It's amazing how much this port hosed up on the audio design side of things with Shoji Meguro as the director.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Booky posted:

huge persona 1 fan excited to play it for first time

but real talk a remake of p1 and 2 would be p win; tho i feel like atlus tends to be pretty conservative with their remakes (i guess remasters is more fitting?)

They KINDA attempted that with P1, but they ended up sucking out any of the interesting atmosphere that the original one really relied on, while also not fixing gameplay issues or mechanics in any meaningful way.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

In the specific screenshot, it's a really weird thing to try and translate because they're not related but it's a kind of one-sided senpai kind of relationship, and calling her onee-san is a character quirk. In IS they talk about how she keeps hoping Anna will return to the team and follows her around, and still maintains her running shoes, etc.

In english, "big bro" and "big sis" are not something you use to address, but you use to describe. "My big sis likes wisteria". As an older-sibling-haver, I just say his name.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 27, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I am of the mind that most things should be attempted translated except for the things that have no cultural or linguistic counterpart. There are just some social functions in the Japanese language that we just do not have and it's really awkward to try and transliterate all things.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Arist posted:

I generally agree, but at the same time, disagreements over what does and does not have a cultural counterpart is how we get "nakama"
Well, if you're going to bring up stupid examples of that, yeah.

Nakama is honestly not that hard to translate. Something like senpai is harder because we just don't really do upperclassman/lowerclassman stuff, and honorifics have both linguistic and cultural function. Of course not -all- honorifics aren't translatable, but there are a few that just can't make the jump. "san" is pretty easy to just change to Mr. or Ms.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you can translate it this way but the terms aren't equivilent in their usage. an obvious example is the honorific "Master" as applied to a child - in English this typically appears solely in formally written letters, and in fiction written with a "historic" elevated type of language (e.g. a butler saying it to a child) - it might be functionally similar to the -kun suffix (in the context of addressing a child) but translating it this way has obvious issues when it comes to tone, unless you want your game to sound like it's Alfred addressing a young Bruce Wayne or something.

there are reams of debates and papers with "post-colonial" in the title on what kinds of translations constitute the commonly-used phrase "bringing the reader to the text" and what just constitutes exoticization, but i think it's generally considered laudable to at least try to get aspects of the source text and language across in a translation - in this case, that Japanese uses a lot of honorifics in contexts that English really doesn't. i can't speak to the specific rationale that the translators made, but given that Persona (and Yakuza) are life-simulator games where immersion in everyday city life is a big part of the appeal, it'd be a reasonable choice to consider cultural immersion as an emphasis in the translation (on the other side, if an instruction screen for a platformer called the main character "Gex-kun" or some poo poo, we probably wouldn't care about that).

it's a lot more complicated than "is there an equivilent term", is what i'm saying lol. also sorry for the derail.

I don't disagree with any of what you're saying here, I think that falls under what what I was proposing generally, I just happened to use "san" here as one of the easiest ones to find situations that are similar to English.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I need to learn how to long-simmer curry.
Do you have a favorite roux? I'm into Java and Kokumaro as my base, which I add a buncha tomato paste and substitute veg stock for the water.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I really don't like Golden Curry as my base, that poo poo has so much tumeric in it and the balance is so much harder to get right than just going with java or kokumaro. I'll take vermont curry over golden, even!
My own thing is adding tomato paste, mirin, and tamari.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Even then, isn't it Sega that ultimately benefits from all that rather than the development teams?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

That's been known for a while, he and his staff have been working on this fantasy game that's been announced and in dev (hell) since Persona 5 was released. A lot of the TMS team supposedly is now in charge of carrying on Persona, first debuting with P5Royale.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Don't forget that Persona 3 makes the ability to use a Persona into UR a wizzurd Harry, which is one of the reasons I dislike its conception of it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think the issue might be that the latter Personas have a far more modular storytelling concept, which means that while the player guides the advancement of all the subplots via strategizing time or just their own interests in a character, it can also mean having less control as a writer over the pacing and development of the overall themes and story, sacrificing that for more player 'freedom'.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Persona 5 is one of those games where the person writing it has none of the depth required by the themes and ideas it attempts to grasp.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I'm just not a fan of how 3-5 doesn't understand that all people have multiple personas, as a psychological concept. It really ends up being "protagonist-sama is the only person in the world who is special" all the way down to if you pass out in battle, nobody else is smart enough to revive you aspects.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Royale I think was the debut by whomever is doing Persona 6.
My current thought is that the TMS team was split up and so now we have whomever made SH2 and the ones that did P5R.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Booky posted:

i do think that some of the bigger tweets did, kinda misread a few arcs in persona 4 despite having overall solid main theses but also i saw someone yelling about how "they had to Defend Atlus from the misinformation that persona 4 is homophobic on twitter!!!" thats been lodged into my brain and, lmao

persona 4 and 5 both have similar writing issues but afaik 5 takes wayyyy more heat for it, personally hoping 6 is Good and not Bad

I think 5 took more heat for it because they had years inbetween to learn and didn't.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The game doesn't know what to do with Yusuke overall. I really wanted to engage with his character more, but they mostly just make him the comic relief with jokes about his abject poverty and his love of aesthetics. Also Yusuke finding out he was being raised by his mother's killer and now literally has no parental figures at all is something quite, uh, lifeshattering?

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 16, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

...the guys that prey upon a teenage boy who doesn't show interest is an improvement?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

P4 improved upon 3 in at least getting the psychological concept of shadows right, and made the power to use personas something earned beyond having "the potential" in vague terms that gave me Harry Potter-rear end feels. Sadly this game was helmed by, again, the guy that had to be informed that men and women could have platonic relationships, in the 00s, so that little leap in understanding came a bit, uh, late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah that's not a uniquely Japanese phenomenon or anything, but it does display a worldview that isn't exactly on the, uh, cutting edge of things.