Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

Persona 6 development not going so hot, eh, Atlus?

This makes less than zero sense. They licensed their IP out to a card game maker. It has nothing to do with how anything is going because they're not the ones making it. It's also not uncommon as a development thing. Elden Ring has a board game coming out. Fallout 4 has a board game. Pokemon has a card game, Digimon has a card game, there have even been card games for previous SMT titles. It is in fact extremely common for any remotely popular Japanese thing to get some kind of tie-in CCG. Dragonball has one, One Piece has one, Gundam has one, Monster Hunter has one, Resident Evil has one, Final Fantasy has one, etc, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder what the specific challenges of developing a modern Persona game are. It's interesting how 4 came out so soon after 3, but then there was this monumental gap between 4 and 5 (and now 5 and 6).

I'm guessing there's some good reason for it. Better graphics always make it at least somewhat harder to develop games, and these games mandate a higher level of polish than most others, but the lengths of time are still pretty nuts. I feel like "anime-style graphics" are already approaching their peak; there are only so many improvements you can make to the general appearance of P5 (only things that come to mind are framerate and environment detail) I imagine any development expense would more than be made up for by game sales, so I'm not sure if it makes sense as a purely financial thing.

edit: It seems like it'd be even weirder if you were a kid when these games started coming out. Time passes faster as an adult, but if someone played Persona 5 in 7th grade they'd be in college now. Gaming stuff went so much faster back when I was a kid/teen.

It really isn't. RPGs on any scope tend to take a lot of development time unless you're pulling a Gust or Pokemon and churning them out as quickly as you possibly can. There's a reason it is rare for any company, W or J, to be pushing them out very quickly. Even indie developers tend to take a very long time on RPGs compared to almost anything else. (And they tend to be on the shorter end.) Soul Hackers 2 was a pretty clear attempt by Atlus to see how a lower-budget/shorter game would be received.

I think people underestimate just how expensive even linear RPGs are. They tend to require more text, unique assets, and voice acting than pretty much any other genre on the market. Most of the 'big names' usually have a long time between new releases and fill that time with smaller titles or spinoffs or such, and the smaller companies depend on large numbers of relatively low budget games that recycle a lot of assets. (Atelier or the Trials Of... series for example.)

It's also worth noting that this is the reason so many companies 'milk' big RPGs, because a successful RPG's biggest marketing advantage is that players will buy into it and want to see more. There is a reason there are a billion versions of Skyrim or basically every single Tales, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and SMT game has gotten at least one re-release or cheapo mostly-reused-assets sequel, because once you've invested that much you tend to want to reuse it if you can.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 7, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

anakha posted:

Thinking about it some more, I realized Atlus might actually be missing out here.

They could probably sell the gently caress out of a Mario Party-type game but with the Persona 3/4/5 characters. Fold the Tycoon minigame and this new card game into that, fold in the dancing games, do an Overcooked clone and call it Joker's Kitchen, that sort of thing.

The big issue Atlus ran into is that they used to bolster their big tentpole stuff with lower-budget stuff (often recycling from the big stuff) but that has become increasingly nonviable in recent years. During the PS2 era they built a whole fuckload of models for SMTIII and then reused and added onto them over time and in the following eras they were able to put out much lower budget games on the DS/3DS. Nowdays though the 'weakest' system is the Switch and despite being significantly weaker than the PS5/XBX it's still effectively a full console to develop for.

S-E has started trying to shotgun out as many mid-budget JRPGs as they can in the hopes of getting a few hits but they also can afford to do that, while most other companies really have to depend on a couple of hits unless they have a dependable secondary income. Same goes for western RPGs too where it takes years to develop them and they have a really bad habit of being released in a variety of rushed or extremely bad shapes. Like the last big WRPG that wasn't released as a huge mess was probably Witcher 3 and they followed that up with the utter fiasco that was Cyberpunk.

In terms of development time: Starfield has been in production since AT LEAST 2018, Cyberpunk was announced in 2012, Dragon Age IV has been in development since 2015, Mass Effect IV has been in development since around them, Elder Scrolls 6 is "sometime in the future", Final Fantasy XV was in development forever, Dragon Quest XII has been in production since the mid 2010s, Tales of... went from 2016-2021, etc. poo poo takes a long time to make.

Hell FFXIV taking 'only' from 2020 to 2023 is insanely short and that is mostly just because they waited until it was closer to done to be announced.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 7, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

It's a bit more than "a lot of development time," though; it's hard to think of many comparable examples in gaming outside of stuff like the FF7 remake. I would expect something more along the lines of 3-4 years. From what I understand, P3 and P4 shared a lot of assets, but it seems like there would have been similar amounts of effort for writing/voice acting.

I'm not doubting there's a reason - obviously there is, or else this wouldn't be the case. But it's definitely an outlier when someone could go through all of their middle and high school years without a new game release.

The major thing there is P3/4 were PS2 games. PS2 is basically the last gasp before things really started to balloon.

It has gotten significantly harder to pump things out as quickly. Games coming out as fast as they do often involved obscene amounts of crunch and concurrent development from multiple studios.

In some cases it is also studio mismanagement but games are just more complex and expensive to make too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the key with each Persona game is that Personas always exist but there needs to be some significant supernatural catalyst to bring them out while usually involves a significant supernatural presence intruding on the real world. In Persona 1 it's the DEVA System and Nyarlathotep effective turning the 'real' world into a supernatural world, in Persona 2 it was Nyarlathotep turning the city into a place where Rumors come true. P3 and 4 basically lock things off into their own separate worlds while Persona 5 has effectively a world atop a world that you can only enter in certain circumstances. Each one is effectively a 'game board' for the forces playing their current game.

In each case the characters get the ability to summon Persona by being dragged into that game in some fashion, usually coinciding with some sort of totem that allows them to draw forth their power, but they still need to be in a position where that supernatural magic exists to do so remotely easily. It was just in P1/P2 the 'supernatural worlds' had more overlap with the normal world from the start because the characters involved had good reason to have a 'normal' world. (And even then it's worth noting that only the TV world is largely different from the real world, both the Metaverse and Midnight Hour are 90% similar except for some missing things, sort of like what happened with Mikage-cho.)

As far as we're shown though Persona always exist within a person in some form or another but you're not accessing them without very specific situations. This is either getting involved with a god-game in some form or through the power of Science!!! In the latter case though it rarely seems to end well. Persona 1, 3 and 5 all basically have things go to poo poo because scientists had figured out this stuff existed but their actual attempts to use it were either horrific atrocities or utter failures and Persona 2 still carries on some of P1's stuff.

That Science!!! also allows some 'bridging' of the gap between the supernatural and real worlds but every single time it ends up being fuckin' horrific because it either invites some malicious entity to play a game, does unbelievable damage to the subjects involved, breaks reality, or all of the above. As near as we're shown the reason for the Evokers is less that they are strictly necessary to summon Persona but that they are necessary to summon Persona within the specific confines of Persona 3's Midnight Hour because it is a world of Death, so Evokers make it easier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

The thing is I don't see why the Persona times have started to balloon. The writing is semi-formulaic in the best way; the arcana structure means you know how many characters you need and have a good way to write their character arcs. It's not the art; the character 3d art work is relatively simplistic with there not even being enough of an animation budget to go through doors. And the facial animations are 2d with excellent (but again) simple cutaway. The Personas have already been updated and are mostly shared between both Persona and SMT games - and the attack animations aren't really that much. Persona feels like one of those games that looks great on a low budget - but if it's not the writing, not the art, and probably not the mechanics either then what does take so long?

You're kind of devaluing the evolution of everything there I think. Persona 5 is carried by a strong art style but it still is a tremendous step up from Persona 3 and 4's largely static cutscenes. They're able to do more complex character expression and animations even discounting the strong art design and with that includes lengthier more directed cutscenes of which P5 has quite a number. Even the basic standing around stuff tends to involve more character motion and choreography than P4 or 3. And the strong art design does require a lot of effort to make work coherently over the course of a game.

Likewise dungeon design changes. Persona 3 was almost exclusively randomized basic floors and Persona 4 was just slightly different from that. Persona 5 has Mementos which fills the same role but then a series of custom-build dungeons using a large number of unique assets which actually have to be designed, put together, and tested. That requires a lot more time, especially working with assets you expect to be used in HD.

Similarly even if you know where a character's arc is going to go, there's a difference between writing the outline and writing the arc. For all its flaws writing a game like Persona is a monumental undertaking and only becomes moreso the more things you add to it. Keep in mind writing isn't just the main arcs. Every NPC and every side thing needs to be written as well. There is an obscene amount of dialogue in any given JRPG and Persona usually requires 2-3 different responses every time the protagonist can speak. Like you can shittalk Persona's writing pretty easily but it isn't easy to do, and the fact that for all its flaws people largely come away from the game loving the characters shows that they're doing at least something right.

Likewise, yes, mechanics are another thing that requires an absurd amount of development time. Even if you're just doing a bare-rear end SMT combat system you still need to do a ton of basic planning to make the flow of combat something that people continue to find fun. P5 gets more complex and adds like a dozen different bonus mechanics which the player may or may not have at any given time, all of which need to be implemented and then tested. Persona trends to the side of too easy but even 'too easy' still demands at least some attention to keep the flow of too easy in a fun place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neeksy posted:

I think the issue might be that the latter Personas have a far more modular storytelling concept, which means that while the player guides the advancement of all the subplots via strategizing time or just their own interests in a character, it can also mean having less control as a writer over the pacing and development of the overall themes and story, sacrificing that for more player 'freedom'.

This is absolutely true and a tough thing to write around. P3 was written pretty bluntly around the idea of your party members being their own people. They were AI controlled, you couldn't even hang out with half of them, and their arcs largely developed over the course of the game. However Persona 4 made it clear that people much preferred being able to interact with characters on their own clock and wanted all of the party members to be social links, enough they backported that to P3P.

The end result however is that they really can't tie a character's emotional growth into the main story. They can at best time lock certain events until past certain plot beats but they can't assume that any given character is at a certain emotional climax by the time a certain plot beat happens. They could probably do more dialogue that reflects the social link progress someone has but even that adds a huge amount of extra writing.

But as it stands "I get to have adventures and hang out with my friends" is one of the big draws of Persona now and you can't really get around it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

The best solution would be to record a number of lines twice and choose which to play based on whether the social link has passed a given threshold.

That would be ideal but also incredibly loving expensive

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimlit posted:

Replaying persona 4 golden ahead of royal being released on the PC and the writing has definitely slipped a gear for me since the last time i played. The family stuff is well done and holds up, but like the majority of the group stuff ends up just being long setups to Yosuke and teddie perv out "comedy relief". If it was just teddy and they had to put up with it begrudgingly to enter and exit tv world I'd understand, but having the women of the group just shrug off sexual harassment from 2 other members constantly really just seems lazy and gross. Do they carry that kind of stuff over to 5 with the writing?

Yes and no.

They genuinely do get better about it but Ryuji is still a creep sometime and there are a ton of lovely comments directed at the female cast from the villains. It is treated super lovely but still very present. Yusuke also has a real crappy thing in his introduction that is treated as a joke but is still poo poo.

Unfortunately a big step backwards is that almost every adult woman in the game is willing to sleep with a teenage boy which is very ew.

Edit: like 90% of the worst stuff is centered around Ann which really sucks because her plot was based around how she was sexually harassed.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 10, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It's really weird how 5 went so hard on that when as I recall in 4 what looked like was going to happen was just a fake out with the Devil contact and in 3 when the teacher found out that it was the MC she nearly collapsed in on herself like a dying star in embarrassment.

The kindest interpretation is 'we know adults play this game and may view the protagonist as their avatar despite their stated age so these are options for the (heterosexual male) older players "

The more likely is 'we wanted to make every lady dateable and didnt give it a ton of thought'

The almost as likely is that one South Park gif of the guy saying Nice because some people view sleeping with children as okay as long as it is a hot older lady

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

It's this. Also...that was the whole episode, not just a one shot gif-able line.

I have not seen SP in almost 20 years so all I really know is the context of the gif, sorry

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

Persona 4 was clearly written by a conservative whose underlying moral of all the character arcs was "stay in your place" with all the character arcs except one being from unhappy in their appointed place to knuckling down and now being happy in their appointed place. (This of course is why Kanji and Naoto are so botched). Persona 5 reads like that same writer was struck by the revelation that the system wasn't the best possible thing and so wanted to write about rebels but didn't have a clue how to rebel and their triumph is restoring the status quo.

P5 is conservative for its themes but it isn't quite back to status quo. Even ignoring the overt supernatural stuff they took down a corrupt prime minister and set things up so he actually gets a legitimate trial instead of just being let off. Considering the events of *waves hand at the world*, "a corrupt politician is actually punished for his crimes" can be at least an enjoyable fantasy.

P5's biggest flaw is that its message ends up being "Children should not be the ones responsible for fixing this hosed up world, adults shouldn't be foisting their problems onto children" but ends up feeling kind of eh because the solutions are slow and prone to failure as opposed to the Phantom Thieves who were basically instantly able to gently caress poo poo up. Especially since otherwise the theme of the game is "It is wrong to accept things being terrible just because that is how they always are, the ennui of the average person is what lets these things go unchecked."

They really could have fixed a lot by just not having Sae go "let us take care of it now" over and over but more strongly emphasizing that the Thieves lost their powers but they're still going to speak out against injustice however they can. (With the ending of everyone coming together to undo an injustice being a 'here is just one example.') But Sae kinda sours it and makes it into "We'll take of stuff kids, go back to school" which is probably not the intended message but is certainly the one it comes across as.

And of course that's not counting the fact that it's got a lot of its own biases in play so you get "it's wrong to not speak out against injustices" in the same game with crappy homophobic/transphobic jokes.

NikkolasKing posted:

"Death, suffering, and pain ae inevitable facts of life, just deal with it" is in so many things.

I mean they are. Nothing you do can stop it nor will ever stop it. If you allow that to dominate your life then you just waste what you have worrying about the end that's coming no matter what. "Death is scary, holy poo poo I don't want to die, I'd do ANYTHING not to die" is both an understandable motivation and not a very healthy one

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 11, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

As lovely as The Answer is, mechanically, I still maintain that it has a good idea buried somewhere in there. The big Question of Persona 3 is "Memento Mori", or, how do you deal with the inevitable knowledge that you and everyone you know is going to die? And the answer in the Answer (:haw:) is "live anyways."

Memento mori, memento vivere. Remember death, remember life. Or, more poetically, remember you will die, but do not forget to live.

The idea of seeing how the characters responded to the events at the end of the game is a neat one but it really gets too buried under the rest of the cruft. Like even having Aigis take over as protagonist would be fine but I think P4 and P5 had a better idea for adding on by working it into an expansion of the daily life instead of it being entirely disconnected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

But it's more than a bit repetitive.
Villain: I want to change the world and improve the human situation.
Hero: But we can't change and so I must stop you.

This is in so many games and anime.

I don't know if it's the start of this but obviously Neon Genesis Evangelion was a massive influence on all subsequent Japanese pop media and I think it's safe to say it laid the groundwork for this basic idea. "I mustn't run away." I must reject Instrumentality and accept that to be human is to be alone and to suffer.

It just be nice if the heroes for once wanted to usher in a better world instead of doggedly holding onto this one. (I've heard the new stuff in Royal tackles some of this and in a much more satisfying way than the main story handles its ideas.)

It's in a ton of stuff. "Death is an omnipresent force, what do you do in response to it" is the basis of countless movies, books, songs, everything. Death is the one great unifier of humanity, the one thing we all share no matter what, and many stories are told in response to that. It shows up really often because of that. It's also most certainly not something Evangelion invented. It has existed in Japanese media and non-Japanese media for most of human history.

Sapozhnik posted:

Every superhero fantasy requires its superheroes to uphold the status quo. Take down a few Okumuras but definitely don't go asking where Okumuras come from or why there so many of them.

The stuff going on in his palace was objectively shown as being awful and yet none of it was illegal. They had to shoehorn in something about how he was having his competitors assassinated. Why didn't he just buy them out?

I mean I don't think you need to have it explained why a rich person would choose a path that doesn't cost them money over one that does.

But past a certain point the core problem of any game like this is that you're left trying to argue for status quo + better because video game writers are certainly not going to be the ones who figure out some way to show the complete destruction of capitalism and its replacement by something better in any plausible way. Like Devil Survivor has a "everyone gets along super communism yay" ending but it's absolutely barebones and involved rewriting all of humanity.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 11, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booky posted:

it also mushes everyones souls into one too afaik?? which sounds like it'd be nice... for all of 2 seconds

Yeah. The basic idea is that it would destroy all bounderies between people, eliminating any sort of miscommunication, lack of understanding, all the actual difficult complexities of social interaction and interacting with other people, and you just kept to be part of an amalgamation where you don't suffer or feel bad anymore. It just involves giving up literally everything that makes you you.

Which is why Shinji, the dude who is basically the #1 test case for "I would actually really like to become tang, thanks" choosing to reject it is the end of his character growth because he decides to return to the hosed up world where he can hurt and be hurt rather than deciding to throw himself into the humanity slurry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Something I found notable about DeSu 2 is that it isn't really brainwashing. Look at Strange Journey - that is absolutely brainwashing because the world is continuing on normally unless you help the Wise Men or Mem Aleph and subjugate everyone. In DeSu 2, it's a pretty big, explicit plot point that everyone in the world is dead by the ending except you and the dozen other survivors. So you aren't brainwashing the human race as the human race no longer exists. You're more recreating them with an increased or decreased sense of empathy.

I thought it was a notable difference, anyway.

It's still brainwashing if you bring them back to life first. In fact I am like 90% sure this is something JRPGs have firmly come down on the side of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

They probably did do that, they just had to scrap their plans.

Yeah, a lot of things get changed in production. Stuff like expensive CGI or animated cutscenes just tend to be the most obvious relics because they are too costly to just throw away

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maruki is absolutely in the wrong but with good intentions. He is creating a weird nonsense world held together by magic and where he literally has to brainwash people to get them to go along

He wants to help people but because he accidentally erased the love of his life's memory he *has* to be right about that being the right path or else he has to live with the guilt. The entire thing is him trying to create a world that makes him happy. Because he is a nice guy he does genuinely want everyone to be happy, but because he's hosed up his idea of 'happy' isn't necessarily good for them, it us about proving hinself right.

That is why he didn't just bring Kasumi back to life because proving he was 'right' to erase her memory waa more important.

Also like... Futaba, Haru, Yusuke and Makoto all lost their parents. Ann had the entire first case. Joker was falsely accused of a crime and sent away to live with a stranger. The least 'my life is horrible' of the lot is Ryuji who suffered a horrible debilitating injury that stopped him from pursuing his dream in life.

Like poo poo before the Phantom Thieves got there Futaba was unable to function in the real world and was literally suicidal over the guilt she had because some total rear end in a top hat gaslit her into thinking she made her mother kill herself.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 15, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Man they run out of story stuff for Ann and Ryuji super early on, don't they?

Ryuji has a lot of stuff but it's pretty low-key stuff that boils down to "he starts getting a really big head and fucks poo poo up and regrets it and tries to change" and the stuff with his leg which pays off during his big run near the end.

Ann does more than Yusuke but that's about it. Makoto and Futaba basically take front and center and Haru is pretty important for the chunk of the game she is in.

Edit: I genuinely forget that Yusuke is in the game sometimes. Strikers does a lot more with at least making him consistent comedy relief.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 16, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

That "I didn't realize men and women could have platonic relationships" quote gets thrown around a lot, but it's so colossally stupid that I have to wonder if it was mistranslated from something that was maybe at least marginally less stupid. Like maybe "I didn't realize that the player base would be interested in platonic relationships with the girls in the game" or something. Or like it's a dumb joke he made to avoid having to say "we didn't want to write entirely different platonic stories for these characters if we didn't have to" that gets constantly taken literally because people forget that folks who speak languages other than English can make jokes too.

I'm just curious about that one quote, I'm not defending anything in the actual writing of the Persona games.

It could be but 'men and women can't just be friends' is a thing that comes up as a genuine belief on both sides of the ocean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aside from being a bit blurry on handheld it runs perfect on the Switch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They probably won't because they want to sell the game in places that costume is verboten. Same reason for the weird Nocturne sitch

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 17, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It probably wouldn't be hard. They might even still be in the game's code awaiting a switch flip.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

akechi navigator for the entire game :getin:

I would pay money for this mod.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It's funny how some fandoms tend to seek queer content in almost/absolutely queerphobic media (Persona, BBC Sherlock, Supernatural for examples) and then claim actual queer media as problematic (shows like Steven Universe got hit hard of this)

I don't think the Stephen Universe thing is a real example of the fandom in any meaningful sense.

As far as Persona goes it is because the central themes of Persona involve having the ability to reveal your true self instead of the mask you are forced to wear and having friends who support and accept that. It is not hard to understand wanting that to extrapolate to gay/trans individuals especially when the game flirts with it. Sometimes it is nice to pretend a message is actually for you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanji's actual story was being performatively masculine because he actually liked 'feminine' things and was afraid of being called gay and teased about it. And that is actually a completely reasonable plot to have for a teenage boy to have even if they are heterosexual because society likes to bully people who are too 'girly' or whatever.

It just waa communicated almost entirely around his fear that girly things = the gay and it would be terrible to be gay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Some people get mad online if you say that Naoto is trans and maybe she is just confused about gender roles like Kanji is. Buuuuut, before you show her the power of friendship her subconscious tells you that Naoto's ideal self is a man and is trying to give her a "forbidden operation" that will give her the body she always wanted. Not sure what thats symbolising. Probably nothing.

There is a difference between 'I wish I was a man so I could be the person I want to without dealing with the expectations and prejudice of society towards women who try that' and 'I identify as a man and wish to live that way.'

You can read her that way but then all the rest of the writing is 'actually it is okay to present as a girl and be who I really am' which makes the trans reading really uncomfortable.

And again the plot of 'I don't like dealing with the innate sexism of society and the fact it is literally easier for me to present as a man than just be a woman' could be an interesting arc but then it unmistakably references trans stuff but only as a window dressing and is instead all in kn gender conformity

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 19, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Honestly I think I would be less weirded out by how badly Kanji and Naoto's arcs were handled if not for A) Yosuke just constantly being Yosuke all over the place and B) between Yukiko and Rise's stories kind of ending up at the same place they start and how upset Chie is about not being traditionally feminine despite her obvious interests in martial arts and training and the like.

The game is just weirdly uncomfortably traditional/conservative in a way that seems really weird.

I think the issue is that it is trying to be progressive. The characters have issues which boil down to the lovely views society or people have and try to force onto people, and it is okay to be a girl and like 'manly' things and vice-versa, but at the end of the day it is still almost exclusively tailored to people who want to fit into society instead of being comfortable outside of it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Why does Persona 4 and 5 have so many cops / characters that want to be cops?

Because no matter what reality is 'police officer' is coded in media as an occupation you go into if you want to do good and help people and the people who abuse that are twisting what should be a good thing.

You are a long way off from mass media fully adopting the idea that police officers as a concept are flawed, rather than just bad apples. Especially since 'arrested by the police' is largely the closest thing we have to an outcome that isn't murder. (Again in fiction not in reality)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 19, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like that misses the point that he hates being a cop because he was a coward who refused to do what was right and instead allowed himself to be chained down and it ends with him instead going to do what is right.

Like I like Strikers a fair bit but it is about as anti-police as P5 (which is to say it believes in the organization but thinks it has been corrupted.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Nah Zenkichi is saying you can’t reform from the inside because all the cops are cowards like him, and his moment of awakening is realizing that him fighting for Justice means he has to go against the system from the outside and become a Phantom Thief

To put it in wildly simplified terms, Makoto and P5 are “Reform the Police” and Zenkichi is “Defund the police”, but neither of them are full on “Abolish the police” (except possibly Haru)

Yeah but at the end he goes back to being a cop.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sydin posted:

P5 and P5S both have the problem where they spend 95% of the game acknowledging systemic issues as the root cause of the injustices towards the party and society as a whole, and the party acting outside the system to change things, but then in that last 5% slamming on the breaks and going "actually using our powers to enact systemic change would be bad because ??? so we'll just leave it up to the good apples like Sae or Zenkichi to do the right thing" and all the character's issues are resolved on a personal level instead.

And like I get it this is a Persona game, it's not gonna loving end with the overthrow of the Japanese government in favor of the dictatorship of the student council. It's just kind of a jarring shift in ethos right at the end in both games.

Well in both games their powers disappear so they couldn't keep doing that even if they wanted to, to be fair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

list some gay jrpgs (i'm not doing this as a gatcha or any such bullshit, i really want to know)

With varying degrees of positive (i.e: some of them are iffy, some I hesitate to put on the lost[/i]) representation.

Shadow Hearts (particularly Covenenat)
Enchanted Arms
Bahamut Lagoon
Fire Emblem (some)
Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons (some, getting better.)
Nier
Trails of (x) has a couple
Dragon Quest 11

Those are some ones off the top of my head with positive representation of gay male characters (Enchanted Arms is in a WEIRD place with it though). If you add in NPCs and stuff the list gets a whole lot bigger but includes the omnipresent "guy who loves the Cute Boys and thinly veiled hits on teenagers" which I don't like to include.

Edit: 13 Sentinels! I forgot about that one.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 20, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Makoto's S Link is absolutely about her. She is poorly socialized and doesn't really make friends. So she makes a friend and is genuinely happy but they gets into a situation where her natural inclination (which made her a stick in the mud rules follower with no friends) risks alienating the one non-PT friend she has in her pursuit of what she believe is right.

The entire thing is her trying to cone to terms with being a person instead of a mindless good girl, in comparison to her sister who did the same thing and it eventually broke her down because all she had in life was her work and her sister who she loved *and* resented

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Is changing people's heart for minor offenses kind of hosed up? It seems a bit hosed up.

I can't think of many minor offenses you so it for. Even the non Palace ones are like 'abused his girlfriend' 'kills cats for pleasure' and 'is a hitman'

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The guy actually being just as lovely as she thought he was really undercuts like..the entire angle it seemed like they were going with with Makoto's S.link. "Wow my friend is mad I keep butting into her personal affairs, except I'm actually correct to be doing so" is dumb!!!!

Making the guy be on the up and up would have been a good opportunity for Makoto to learn not to constantly involve herself in other peoples business...

I feel like 'if you are suspicious your friend is being abused just shut up and don't say anything because you might be wrong' is a bad plot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Someone mentioned cheating at a video game earlier, and that seems pretty minor.

Dude was an adult bullying children. Not on the high end of the spectrum but absolutely someone who needs to change their behavior.

That is also probably the most petty one but it is explicitly 'adult having fun 'beating' kids'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

There's probably an argument to be made that brainwashing anyone for almost ay crime is immoral.

Which I think is the opinion the Thieves settle on in the end,, if I'm remembering right, anyway.

Their opinion settles on 'it is wrong but not as wrong as doing nothing'

The only time they really really doubt themselves is after Haru's dad goes down and that is because they think they killed a guy.

They stop at the end because all their powers go away and their identities were revealed. Strikers shows that they had zero issue jumping back in when their powers came back.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 20, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

This whole bit is still wild to me. Just the text conversations reassuring haru that don't worry, your dad will confess his crimes and be fine, we are professionals we have done this several times

Then his loving head explodes scanners style on national TV

I think the only reason Haru didn't freak out and tell them to gently caress off is that she was secretly pleased.

'Oh no, daddy, how terrible. Just awful.' *goes back to sharpening her axe'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

1 ~ 2 more hours till P5R is out but I can't buy or download it anyways because I'm at work...

I hear status effects are more useful in P5R and they work on bosses now?

Status effects were always useful in P5 but Royal really assures that you can inflict them easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I would just not. You can fuse them normally and that already feels a bit OP but at least is within the confines of the game.