Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DC Murderverse posted:

Also in more specific complaints the difference between the last level of the link with Futaba confirmed my belief that romancing her is bad. in the romance scene she goes to Akihabara completely without you but then basically backslides into “please never leave me” which seems to make her desire to actually exist out in the world fall by the wayside. In the friendship scene you go with her to Akihabara, but she goes off on her own and forgets the time because she’s actually getting more comfortable being on her own. Joker getting into a relationship with her seems like it might hurt her in the long run, and honestly feels kind of like you’re taking advantage. It also feels weird given how the game sort of positions you as honorary siblings.

is it ok to romance her specifically because you want Sojiro to be your dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
weren't the P4 ones known for being even more painful?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gun kid is cool and should have been in strikers

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
not to subs/dubs things (and P5 has notably worse translation than P4 or P5S, which IIRC was a time constraints thing), but it's really rare that i see english-language voice actors do grade-school aged kids well

but yeah i always like the "MC's little bro that you mentor" character in these kinds of games and Mishima does not count

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 28, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Acerbatus posted:

Interesting, I don't know much about the Marseilles deck!

if you've noticed the Death card in P5 has no text on it, that's also true of XIII in the Marseilles deck, by the way

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
well that's an uncharitable reading

actually maruki's idea that Sumire should simply go with her delusion that she is actually her sister irl is probably more in line with antipsych doctrine than anything else

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lord_Magmar posted:

He's all about avoiding pain/trauma instead of confronting it (either through therapy or medication for the mental after-effects). Of course confronting it is perhaps a bit harsh too.

his doctrine also seems to be that all trauma and mental illness is via external effects so simply making everything nice will fix everything, which is like textbook anti-psych lol.

he's basically the guy who says if we have full communism than your panic disorder will go away

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
maruki is also exceedingly sympathetically portrayed, and not in the "bad guy has a sad backstory" way but in the "it isn't even clear that he's wrong, and this comes off as a deliberate writing choice" way. it's completely legitimate to say your reading comes off as being biased by preconceived notions, that's not "telling you how you think"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
arguably the most anti-therapy message is actually the idea that maruki's idea that Sumire should simply live out her delusions because treating them would make her sad is at all a good idea

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
fine take away the preconceived bias bit, what im trying to say is that it's a strangely uncharitable reading that comes off as unsupported by the actual narrative

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

yeah im very uncharitable to p5, thats a totally fair thing to say. i dont trust the writers of noted video game persona 5 at all.

yeah what i was getting at was that it came off as "i think the writers will gently caress this up so this should be read in the least charitable possible interpretation", and i think that interpretation makes no sense. i dont mean to imply anything re: your views on mental health and therapy beyond what you already said

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
minor spoilers i don't think the P5R narrative has much to say about the real-world worth of therapy or lack thereof, it's a fantasy/sci-fi moral dilemma where counselling is a framing device more than anything else. i certainly don't read any implication that his actions involve any allegorical message about therapy at large, or are even necessarily meant to be "evil"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i actually see the opposite, and it's less "pain makes you stronger" and more "processing and working through trauma is necessary for healing even if it sucks" which is less controversial

and to go on a slight tangent Maruki is more the antipsych perspective in that his view of mental health seems to be based entirely on exterior traumas and stress, and once you get rid of all that everything is fine, which tbh reminds me of the more extremist antipsych leftist positions of "actually all mental health problems are because capitalism" and that everything would be fixed if exterior stress simply were removed

but really it's more a counselling-flavored version of the popular sci-fi moral dilemma of "if you could plug everyone into an ideal VR world where they're happy forever, would that be morally ok"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
imo there's a difference between "pain" in the sense of pain from traumatic events, and the pain caused by having to process and heal from said trauma, and Maruki's desire to cut the latter part out re: Yoshizawa in favor of what amounts to an extended denial mechanism in particular is the problematic bit, not that he doesn't acknowledge that losing her sister made Sumire a stronger person or something

if you wanted, you could make some reading that the writers think that therapy amounts to denying the 'natural' healing process of trauma or something but I think that's excessively uncharitable, especially given how deliberately sympathetic the game is to Maruki's point of view and how it sets this up as a genuine dilemma (i.e. one with no easy solution)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Acerbatus posted:

I guess for Futaba's the idea is that she can think about the time of the incident clearly and remember her mother didn't jump into traffic so much as fell? :shrug:

it doesn't really work but i think the idea was that the MIBs reading the fake suicide letter left such an impression on her that she wasn't able to think straight about how suspicious the whole situation was. i guess you could say that the palace was something she was put in by others, and she breaks out of it via Persona Magic but the whole thing is kind of weird and fuzzy and poorly defined

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
same *exclusively uses the right bumper menu to navigate in p5r after May or so*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
drunk-kun by leblanc does always have valuable things to say, tbf

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The palace 5 boss isn't that bad once you know what to do but it wasn't a great move to make a boss which extremely specifically relied on baton pass boosts in a game which simply doesn't really get that tactical 95% of the time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the translation and dubbing, apart from COVID technical-related hiccups, are much much better in Strikers, and it makes a big difference with the perception of grout dynamics i think

you already did see the translation improve in the new Royal content but that was mostly focused on a few non-core characters

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
a story thing i really liked about Strikers (mild spoilers)

morgana is smart. like, Morgana is actually making useful conclusions and theories about the nature of the Jails and who's behind them and what their motivations are, as opposed to P5 where he mostly talked about not having any memories and the depths of Mementos. he might quietly be the most actually improved character in the P5S writing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the P5S english VOs are a lot better than the base game, mainly because they have a much better localization to work with, though it's just a bit hampered by some audio weirdness caused by everyone recording their lines at home (COVID, etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1jEBvYNRsw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arist posted:

The other big spoiler for P5 is entirely implicit (the traitor obviously is not in your party in Strikers), though, and that's a good bit worse, now that I think about it.

tbh (P5 spoiler) the traitor in your party in P5 is so obvious that the actual twist is that the party knew all along and weren't just being plot idiots like you'd probably expect in most RPG stories

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also i like most of the things in Royal (playing some of it to bide time until SMTV) but my god does instakill and the mementos item boost break the game. i love getting like 50 Snuff Souls when theoretically the SP items are really rare and expensive and intended to act as a soft timer for dungeon crawling lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I do find it funny that they kind of tried but still couldn't get Ohya to be worth a poo poo as a confidant. Which is a shame because I like her whole drunk rear end act.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
her being a degenerate drunkard is her gimmick though!!

Takemi is 100% a cradle robber though, but she illegally sells drugs so she's cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of that for all the QOL stuff in Royal I'm still not clear how to get Sojirio to reliably level up

also Tower is my sleeper favorite confidant

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ApplesandOranges posted:

As divisive as VAs can be, Persona honestly does a pretty good job all around with English VAs. The only one that didn't work for me was Haru, but I think that's more of a fault of the script than anything, since she feels much more natural in Strikers. I also think Cherami Leigh's range is a bit wasted on Makoto, but the actual performance is fine, just doesn't shine as much as Ryuji/Ann.

I do think Naoto's English VA is a slight downgrade, but again as a whole the role is fine, not an obvious dip in quality.

I think Strikers showed that the P5 English cast is perfectly good if you give them good material. As with a lot of cases there's only so much a VA can do with a mediocre localization

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gimme the rhythm game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"stilted and awkward" describes most of the game, honestly the extra content was by far the least bad, probably because they had time to properly write and translate it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
actually that part was awkward and i agree that it doesn't really fit with the game though i think a lot of the aesthetic changes like the changes in music style are intentional, i just kind of thought it was much better written and translated than the original game which was pretty much the definition of "awkward and stilted"

not that it's really the localizers fault- there's not going to be good results when attempting to translate a game that keeps getting rewritten very close to release

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gun kid ftw. huge tower fan here.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The idea of stuff like having to manage the links and having backsliding links seems cool except as it turns out people don't actually find that enjoyable generally because they just want to hang out with their anime friendos.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the idea of your dungeon crawling being a thing you have to manage alongside your social life to the extent that it's basically just a job is actually kind of the whole appeal of Persona 3, i just wish they had stuck with it a bit more, though obviously what they did became much more successful

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
both times I played Royal, I wound up basically running out of activities near the end of the game.

also SP is not an issue in Royal because the Mementos enhancement that gives you bonus items also applies to the SP item drops which are a rare drop in the ticket machines at the very start of each level (if the ticket machine glows yellow in your thief eye, it has SP items) which means you can pretty easily net something absurd like 10x high end SP items.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The what machine.... Lmao have I been missing that this whole time

rarely a ticket machine (it looks like an ATM in the wall) will be breakable on the platform at the start of each Mementos level (I forgot if it was at the start of each floor, or just the first level of each section) and has SP items. If you have the item bonus it's multiplied by that so you can get like 10x Snuff Souls.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the main change with Tycoon is that you should be able to play with Evil Akechi. in fact you should be able to play with Smug Akechi and Twisted Psycho Path Akechi at the same time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
man I always liked the summer because that's when i could concentrate the most on links and the minigames activities

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mirello posted:

definately not localization, p5 just has a pretty crappy script. all the constant scenes of bad guys talking about their evil plans confirms that.

It kinda goes both ways, iirc despite the long development time the game was kind of constantly being rewritten real late in development and you just aren't going to get a good localization that way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

anakha posted:

I would be concerned about someone who saw Futaba's character arc throughout Royal and concluded she was an ideal girlfriend.

I just really wanted Sojiro to be my dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
mazes are cool imo, though i think Royal got them mostly right with the difficulty of getting through them versus the difficulty of finding secrets in them