Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

tithin posted:

Chie is best girl.

She was until she revealed she wants to be a cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Spiffster posted:

A question for the FAQ

Can you max confidants/social links on your first play through?

It is possible to do so but it will be stressful experience for first time players and those without a guide. If you don’t get them all on your first time there is always NG+ where you carry over stats and perks that can make your schedule a lot less stressful. As the P5 loading screen says “take your time” and just have fun

At least in P4 and P5 it's pretty important to at least try and max out your party members, they get some great combat benefits.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Maybe mention something about increasing stats? It's pretty easy for someone playing for the first time to completely ignore them. I've seen a couple of let's players go ham working sidejobs because they think money is more important than getting good grades. :v:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 21, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

fadam posted:

Am I missing something in P5S or is there no reason to not just leave jails and heal up every time you get the opportunity? It's not like P5 where there's a month timer, right?

At least the first "dungeon" feels like it was balanced around leaving the jail every time you find a checkpoint, everyone goes through their SP like crazy. But yeah, no timer.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

anakha posted:

She just comes in way too late to be a factor and the arc is rushed as a result.

Haru :smith:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I remember thinking that Yosuke sounded way too deep and old compared to everyone else and then I listened to the Japanese version and he sounds even older there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iARF1yOl-BM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfAyGLpBEG4

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Something I didn't know until recently is that getting a good result in the exams not only gives you charm and some social link points, it also gives you a multiplier for all (school?) social links points until the next exam week.

quote:

The protagonist's performance in an exam will grant a boost to specific Confidants until the next exam week: if the protagonist scores 1st place, the multiplier will be x1.5, if top 10, it'll be x1.2.
https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Confidant#Confidant_Points

While it'd be pretty hard to ace the first exam, getting into the top 10 is easy-ish if you focus on knowledge for a little while.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 21, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

After playing Fire Emblem Three Houses, I really hope Atlus adds scenes between characters without the MC in the future. It doesn't even need to have as many ranks as the normal social links, just three or four "levels" would be enough to add a ton of characterization.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

Baton Pass is the thing I miss from P5 when I go back and play P4G. It was a really big battle system improvement in P5 that got even better in Royal.

Baton Pass in P5R is _so_ good, even if it took me until the Okumura's boss battle to truly understand how great it is. It even makes the elemental damage items useful.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I played P4G with Cheat Engine's speedhack during the dungeon crawling, toggling it when necessary, and I think it's the ideal way to play it. According to Steam and the internal save timer, it saved me about 10 hours.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

anakha posted:

Finally got past Hollow Forest. That dungeon can go gently caress itself.

A few more hours, and I'll be done with P4G.

Just in case, there's another dungeon after Hollow Forest (it's incredibly easy to miss it though)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

e: also I generally like all the P5R characters but Morgana is a huge creep from the word go with Ann and I don't care for it. I can't tell if the game wants me to think he's a creep or just wants me to think "haha he's so in love, that's cute"

He's not that big of a creep? He's annoying sure but he never pervs out. But maybe I'm just comparing him with P4's Teddie, who is so much worse that Morgana is not even in the same scale.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

anakha posted:

What was with that reference to a prior visit by the MC in May that was mentioned during the epilogue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esQXF9UGFw0

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

I can't forget rejecting Haru no matter how hard I try.

That reminds me, what's worse, rejecting Haru or the harem valentine scene in P4?

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 23, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I've been playing a bit more of Strikers and while I'm not the biggest fan of its gameplay, I'm loving every second between the jails. Just give me more of these dumbasses interacting together Atlus.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This is killing me and I need to know, is this the same VA as P4G Naoto?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZYmM5uOa1I&t=1878s

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Dumb question, but for P5R, does having a palace active block party member hangouts, or does it only not get any worse than a "Uh, we probably should get on this soon" message from them? I haven't been seeing many events available lately but I don't know if it is the palace or the weather that is canceling them.

It depends. Party members confidant scenes get locked out 7 days before the deadlines (because you should be doing the palace). They also get locked out in the period between getting to the treasure and sending the calling card, no matter how far away the deadline is. Also, some hangout scenes are also blocked if you haven't sent the calling card yet.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Makoto... I dunno. I know Cherami Leigh has some chops, but whether it's because of Makoto's character or voice direction, she was easily the flattest of the PTs for me.

Cherami Leigh's only time to shine in the entire game is Makoto's awakening. :smith:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maruki has forced 7-8 scenes if you don't care about him.

But everyone likes Maruki

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Good god I thought rejecting Haru is bad but When Sumire straight up tells you she loves you, always has, and can only now work up the confidence to tell you and all you can respond with is “let’s just stay friends...ok?”

Ouch.

She reacts really well though vs Haru who's devastated.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Brandfarlig posted:

P5R Final boss: The final palace was pretty good but the boss kind of disappointed me. I was playing on hard too but full party heatraiser, debilitate and Yoshitsune trivializes anything sadly. I figured the second phase would be harder but apparently he has like 2.5k hp which would've been pathetic if I was just attacking. Instead I won with 1 Hassou Tobi. I was pretty hyped for the last fight but instead you win after surviving 3 turns which is anticlimactic. Allow me to damage the stupid thing instead of just handing me the win damnit. I could've just guarded and healed once and there would be 0 chance of losing. Very good game but I wish there was a point to making the better personas. It's not like I couldn't have won easily without Yoshitsune it just would've taken a few more attacks.

I think they just didn't bother balancing the new palace to P5R's overall easier experience.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Ok another observation.

Despite the fact the father is never around, and Nanako orders take-out every night, Yu has a much more varied and healthier diet than Joker. Who spent a year subsisting on coffee, curry, and Big Bang Burger.

With the occasional all you can eat buffet and sushi and ramen.

Even Kawakami scolds you for your poo poo diet lol.

I didn't really realize until I played P4G but P5 feels like it was written by ticking checkboxes in a "opposite of P4" list.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

wow that is a game-changer. Yea I'm outside the room where I assume the main boss is, as the game is telling me "hey there is something big and bad behind this door are you ready??"

I'll turn up the EXP and grind a little. Not to level 15, but probably closer to 10-12.

One habit I got into from P5 is diving into dungeons as soon as they become available, so I got plenty of time and I may even leave and buy more items/ fuse some Personas before I take on the final boss.

I'd just try fighting the boss before grinding. Maybe you can already beat it and if not, you'll at least know what personas to get.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I was told that the ideal way to experience the anime was to google "persona 4 anime funny" and watch the clips, and I can't say it was bad advice.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

It also adapts a couple of the fights in really clever ways--specifically, turning Shadow Mitsuo and Izanami into fights that really highlight Yu Narukami's inner conflict and the deep loneliness he actually feels. It was really effective!

That sounds interesting. I don't remember a lot of exploration about Yu in the game.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Haru Who? - Haru

Funky Valentine posted:

The Gymnast Who Does Splits With Her Personality - Kasumire

:aaaaa:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 11, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I hope that if they do P5A, they manage to make it work without the 10 minutes of visual novel between fights.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Which is why the the girls hitting ryuji after he literally saved them all risking his own life sucks so much. In what universe would that be funny.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I think the idea is fine, but ends up being too much. They literally knock him out and it ends up feeling cruel rather than funny.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

(p4 spoilers) video

the idea of 'their personas are exhausted so it just devolves into a fist fight' is actually pretty cool but the animation quality just isnt there to sell it, so it comes across more comical than anything

I wonder if this is where they got the idea for Maruki's fist fight

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 16, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

hughesta posted:

the Royal version of that boss is significantly worse than the original P5 version of the fight. I have no idea what they were thinking. I was stuck on it for ages too, even though I blew through the rest of the game with no difficulty on hard mode

I actually really liked the change to the boss... but only after figuring out how to beat it. It's a really good example of how amazing the new baton pass is, to the point I think one of the earlier bosses would have been a better choice to have that mechanic, to teach you early how to use and abuse it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

As well as several of the most heartbreaking.

yeah, seriously, P5's bad valentine is nothing compared to P4's.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

December spoilers:

I think the song that played during the Shido battles was underwhelming. I know there’s a little more to go but it felt like it was trying to be final-boss-epic but wasn’t mixed quite right.

:hmmwrong:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

My one P5R hot take is that Maruki was right. His only issue was his lack of experience in making everyone happy (since some of the "realities" conflicted with each other) but give him a couple of years of godhood and he'd have been able to work the kinks out the system.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

I finally saw the end of Kasumi’s SL last night. Just as I expected, I felt truly awful having to turn her down. She’s the only one who explicitly comes out and says “I Love You”, and honestly having a guide to the “right” answers to her questions through the entire thing really made me feel like I was leading her on. This is not the game’s fault though, it’s a consequence of how I chose to play the game. But still, she took it surprisingly well. I do sort of wish there was a way in these conversations for you or the other person to acknowledge that you’re already in a relationship. Of course that’s a consequence of the game never really acknowledging your relationships in story scenes. You’d think that once you start dating Makoto someone would figure it out pretty quick.

Of course I also watched the romance scene just to get the award and while it was really cute it still bugs me that your only romance options in this game are “literally never kissed a boy” and “literally in her thirties”

I died when this happened

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Kasumi being like "Um is he okay" and Joker just being like "yeah this pretty much akechi's normal" was a good laugh.

The three of them are fun and I wish there was more than just two short days of it being just them.

I'd pay for a DLC that made Akechi the navigator the entire game, even if it wouldn't make sense.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/bubblebrow/status/1259155385254060033?s=21

I feel this comic because I definitely called Makoto a narc repeatedly until she joined my team

Narc-oto is :kiss:

EDIT: That entire twitter account is gold.

https://twitter.com/bubblebrow/status/1378424093398069252

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 4, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Arist posted:

Get to Death Rank 7 and they're half-off. Alternatively, if you're playing Royal, the accessories that give you skills are just better than SP regen.

And SP recovery items are much more abundant in Royal. I bought the SP adhesives and ended up almost not using them.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

Re: Will Seeds as long as you got at least one of the set, Jose sells spares for 400 flowers each so you can get the full accessory with a bit of grinding

I was going to post that I couldn't imagine getting one and finishing a dungeon without getting the rest but I was really close to doing that in the last palace. Goddamn color puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think I'm going to recreate today's meal...

coward :colbert: