Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
[inevitable “Why is the first Persona game titled 3?” joke]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

Which is superior: Mass Destruction or Wiping All Out?
Mass Destruction has the better opening, Wiping All Out has the better chorus.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

anakha posted:

This started playing in my head as soon as i opened this thread.

At the Hollow Forest dungeon now in P4G and hoo boy, the mechanics make this an absolute slog.
I completed HF once and I don’t think I’ll ever have any particularly pressing urge to do it again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I have no strong feelings about Marie one way or the other, but I respect people who do.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I dated Chie my first time, told myself I’d date someone else my second time, then dated Chie again anyways. Years later, my first time on Golden PC, I dated Rise. She’s much less grating when she’s not flirting with someone who’s already in a relationship.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe some day we’ll get Persona: Phantom Blood. :j:

Edit: The Nanjo Group and the Speedwagon Foundation are remarkably similar, aren’t they?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Japanese Morgana > English Morgana > English Teddie > Japanese Teddie. That's my hot take.

Edit: We will never again have an animal party member as pure and wonderful as Koromaru.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Hot take: Koromaru was just boring in P3. Like aside from his introduction I don't remember a single interaction with him.
That's because he's only a social link in P3P's FeMC route. You take him for walkies at night. :3:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

babypolis posted:

Yukikos I didnt mind because she clearly loves the loving place and being the manager makes perfect sense for her

babypolis posted:

I dunno Yukiko just never shuts up about the place, she clearly loves the inn and everyone who works there dearly. And she never expresses any strong desire for anything different. It's not like her character has any lofty goals or ambitions that shes leaving behind to run the inn. It seems to me that she only wanted to feel like it was her choice, and not something imposed upon her

anakha posted:

Yukiko realizing how much she loves the inn and the people in it after being hassled by the tabloid reporter
You know what? Good point. Y'all have actually talked me around on Yukiko's link. If you take her Shadow's rant at face value, she doesn't really care at all about the inn's ancient traditions or its status as the pride of the town. The Amagi Inn, as an object, completely meaningless to her. This does not, in fact, conflict with her realizing that she loves the people around her and what the inn represents for her, personally.

Thanks, y'all. I feel like I understand her character a bit better now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I never found vanilla P4 hard enough to punish me for using a suboptimal party, even on hard. Naoto felt like she struggled to keep up, true, but if you really love her, having someone on designated item duty already happens in like half the boss fights anyways. Really, much more often I felt like if I was getting my rear end kicked, it was because of my Personas, not my party's.

Edit: And it's really hard to complain about someone who rocks Mind Charge + Megidola(on). She's gonna burn through SP quick (75 SP every two turns is not cheap), but hot drat is she gonna leave a dent in the mean time. And Soul Food/Soma exists for a reason.

Edit 2: Doesn't she actually lose access to Mind Charge in Golden? I'd argue that's actually a pretty huge nerf. Ooh, boy, Makarakarn, that absolutely makes up for her new awkward and unfocused skill list that requires bike dates to even do what it's supposed to do. Give me back Mind Charge/Megidola/Megidolaon/Vorpal Blade/Mahamaon/Mamudoon/Hama Boost/Mudo Boost.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 25, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Naoto gets Mind Charge from her Social Link in Golden, not natively from leveling. She can also get all 3 levels of Invigorate from it, which is great for SP management.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

iirc it goes from being something she gets via level up to something she gets at SL...4 I think.
Whoops, don't I look like a dumbass.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Na-ha, I face out
I reach out
I take it to the tooth
Ow my eye
Six to six, on the homo man

Yeah, making the true lies
Only if you realize
Hearing nobody's eyes
Two, the steering rock

Stop to get it off
World bet to keep it fed
Bro, change orange
Too smart a great cuz
You know the steak is hot so
Dom is here
Those who sympathize
By killers passion fly
Do not waste your time
In fighting loving guys
To mine of AIs
Justice for all

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Adrianics posted:

I am so happy for this thread. I discovered Persona via Super Smash Bros and bought Persona 5 Royal on a whim based on reviews and being unemployed during lockdown, let's just say that 10 months later I've also played P4G and P3FES, the combined soundtracks of all three have become a beloved in-joke between my wife and me and I've been desperately playing JRPGs to try and recreate the feeling.

I've very rarely felt as many emotions experiencing pop culture as I did when Nevermore played at the end of P4G. I'm so happy these games are a part of my life now!
Just wait until you fall down the rabbit hole that is Persona remixes and mashups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgfWEjpEhsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64WZitWZ6o0

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

True story, a while back, I was just going through youtube recommendations for music. It had been a few years since I last played Persona 4, I'd spent more time with 3 and other games, and then Your Affection came up, and the nostalgia hit me like a loving train. I'd completely forgotten how much that game meant to me in high school, how it came into my life when I needed it most. I got reminded of it all at once, the sanctuary I had in the absolute shittiest part of my life. First and only time a Persona song not named 'Memories of You' made me cry.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ostentatious posted:

I always wonder what the persona gang is up to now that they are anime old for instance I believe that rascal akihiko currently suffers from CTE onset by being punched in the head too much
Chie is a cop with a decade's worth of police brutality quietly swept under the rug.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alacron posted:

Didn't Rise have posters everywhere in P5? I guess she's still a singer.
She's not just a singer, she successfully transitioned to being a triple threat (which is basically the only way a pop idol in Japan can avoid falling off the map once they're out of their teens.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I did not look at your spoiler, but if it is that I am just being a bit premature about the assessment then I am fine with that. It just felt weird to me, is all.
It will (hopefully) make more sense in retrospect, let's leave it at that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Music club is the alternative to the drama club. It's.... better? I guess? Well relative to Yumi I feel like most links are better.

The other 'alternates' are between Soccer and Basketball for Strength. I prefer Soccer personally but your mileage may vary.
Soccer vs. Basketball is a good choice and both have their good qualities.

Drama vs Music is which of two really awkward links you want to power through. Bonus points to Drama for also having the most brutal possible way and time to choose romantic or platonic! Turning down Yukiko is hard, but you still have plenty of time with her to be friends. With Yumi, you walk out of the room and leave her alone and never come back because you just maxed the link.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 17, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

IIRC, even if you do try to go back to Drama Club later, you actually can't. (That, or she just isn't there.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Kanji is bisexual and doesn't know that's even a thing that exists" solves so many problems with the debates about his sexuality, especially RE: Naoto's gender.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Kanji's sexuality is irrelevant to his arc, and explicitly spelling out his sexuality would ruin the message of his arc. The entire point of his arc is that he can be into "girly" things without that defining his entire identity.
:nallears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Persona 2 already let you have a gay romance so I don't think that they walked anything back tbh.
You're right, there's no way two games that were released ten years apart and made by entirely separate creative teams could have different views on homosexuality.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

If Persona 3 taught me anything it's that hugs are dangerous.
:hmmyes:

I hate that moment in no small part because I strongly suspect it's the reason so many people hate an extremely human and relatable character. The reason it kicks her into reverse just doesn't culturally translate at all. (TL;DR: She takes it as an attempt to make a move on her romantically, because of Katsura Hashino being Katsura Hashino, his weird belief that men and women can't be platonic friends, and a greater emphasis on the importance of respecting personal space in Japan compared to most of the west.)

That, and Michelle Ruff takes a while to find her feet.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 18, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The best version/variant of Aria of the Soul / Battle for Everyone's Souls is an obvious choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iN41edczc

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I have a take

Last Resort is cheap as poo poo and I’m glad no enemy in Persona 5 uses it.
What, you mean you don't love browning your pants every time someone misses on the attack meant to finish off a pair of floating dice?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

I really wish Ohya could do rumors to change Mementos like P2 or something.
:five:

gently caress, that's amazing. Someone please figure out a way to mod P5 and make this change.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

You get one of the funniest scenes in the game if you do
As well as several of the most heartbreaking.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

yeah, seriously, P5's bad valentine is nothing compared to P4's.
Jesus Christ, Naoto saying she’s a terrible detective because there’s a mystery that she doesn’t want to solve. :smith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is my new favorite interpretation of P3MC.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

The only one that I found truly heartbreaking so far is Haru (although inevitably having to let Kasumi down easy is probably gonna be hard as well)
I was talking about the heartbreaking scenes you get for cheating on the P4 girls, not for rejecting the P5 ones.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I saw a few posts that said you can date Marie and another girl and that doesn't count as cheating? Or is that wrong?
That's correct. Or, more accurately, she's otherwise preoccupied at the time when you'd get punished for it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

anakha posted:

Kinda creepy when you think about it.
Say hello to about half of the P5 romances.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

You have to get the exact right answers though in the 9th confidant event or she'll reject you.

Playing some more of P3 FES, it's absolutely hilarious taking Elizabeth round the mall. :3:
Even on female route in P3P, I still generally choose Liz. She's such a fun character.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, Loki is kind of like an ogre...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Internet’s gonna internet. To dig up the bar that’s so low that it’s underground, I still prefer that ship over all the shipping that happened with (Persona 4 spoilers) Adachi. At least Akechi’s the same age as the protagonist.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea that figurine is a bit much given that Makoto's character wasn't very comfortable with her biker costume as it was.
Probably the thing I hate most about P5. These girls are supposed to be wearing what represents letting themselves cut loose and run wild, and they’ve been given outfits that make them actively uncomfortable.

It’s the same kind of problem as why the nude modeling thing sucks so much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alacron posted:

I feel like there's a monkey's paw aspect to this whole "Shiho as an SLink" discussion because there's no way they'd do it and not have her be romanceable.
Oh, Christ, you're right.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think the most interesting thing about Maruki's plan is how much better it parallels and follows the tones and themes of P3 and P4. Nyx wanted to give people oblivion so they wouldn't suffer. Ameno-sagiri/Izanami wanted to give people ignorance and complacency so they wouldn't suffer. Yaldabaoth wanted to control everyone, but he did it for his own selfish reasons, not because he believed it was what humanity wanted/needed. But Maruki did. He follows the theme of P3 and P4, tries to give humanity what he thinks it really wants and needs. In return, the party and the game rebutts that struggles and trials are what make life what it is, and that the real work, with all of its highs and lows, will always be better than taking that away for a monotone contentment. Whether or not you agree with that is your own choice, but for all of Persona's trouble with consistent tone and theming, that's one thing that's held true.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I kind of skimmed through the last few pages, but I'm genuinely considering going through the arcana in the P3P female route and giving my opinions on how the links fit into it, how well they match, etc. Would anyone be interested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Harrow posted:

I definitely would be, yeah.

DC Murderverse posted:

I’ve had nothing to say about tarot chat but it’s really interesting and this would be cool, more effort posts please!
I was halfway to just posting it with "too bad, doing it anyways", so this is more than enough of an excuse to get into it. As a quick disclaimer, I have a lot of love for Persona 3 Portable (big surprise, I know), so I'm more than a little biased. So I'm going to try to discuss this through the lens of what I think the intent of each link was, rather than spending too much time discussing execution, and whether or not the game actually manages to make the Link land.

Huge blanket spoiler warning for Persona 3, obviously.

0 - The Fool
It's no accident that the primary campaign of Persona 3 FES is referred to as The Journey. "The Hero With A Thousand Faces" is a more literal description of Minato / Minako than it usually is, but it still primarily refers to the Fool's Journey. In this way, the Fool representing SEES, and their progress towards achieving the goal they set out for, fits well. Arguably, it's even a better fit for SEES as a whole than it would be for just Minako herself. And having the link max on December 31st, when you decide to spare Ryoji, recontextualizes the whole game. It implies, very strongly, that what the protagonist set out for when she began the journey, what she has now that she's completed it, is the will to live. One of the primary themes of Persona 3 is memento mori, 'remember death' or, more poetically, 'remember that you will die.' It's the weight that hangs over everyone's head throughout the whole game. And while The Answer makes it more explicit, I'd say the message is made right here. Memento mori isn't just the Journey, it's the Question. And by having that Journey be completed when you spare Ryoji, when you choose to fight despite the inevitability of death, answers that question. It's the other half of the phrase: Memento vivere. 'Remember life.'

December 31st changes the Fool Social Link from being just a dry, literal interpretation of the Journey into something more: Memento mori, memento vivere. 'Remember that you will die, but do not forget to live.' Even if the game isn't complete yet, even if your journey as a player isn't finished, the protagonist has completed hers.

Arcana Fit: 5/5, easily.

I - The Magician
So, let's go straight from gushing about high concepts and thematic resonance into something much more simple and literal: Junpei. More than any other card, with the possible exception of the King of Wands, the Magician most represents passion, potential, and inspiration. However, inverted, it also represents wasted potential, or unfocused energy, attention wasted by being used in no particular way. This is, as a whole, an exceptional fit for Junpei. As a character and in a vacuum, it's a perfect fit, and one that catalyzes into Trimegistus as he finally finds focus, real inspiration, and the resolve to not waste his energy on pointless things (like his clumsy and half-hearted skirt-chasing) any more.. However, as we look more at what he represents in the protagonist's journey, things get a little messier.

In the Fool's Journey, the Magician represents the material half of the call to adventure, the conscious, and the active realization of power. Junpei... doesn't really do that. In the greater frame of the story, he isn't even the first character the protagonist meets, and he has no part in the initial call to adventure. (That, in fact, comes from the Magician Shadow, which is interesting and I have no idea if it was intentional or not.) Nor does it really fit with his Social Link. It's kind of a half-hearted link that mostly exists as a background for the protagonist to have deep talks with Junpei as a character. What actually instigates the link, the mystery of the pervert taking pictures, isn't even resolved in any kind of satisfying way. The closest thing there is to a resolution is Junpei realizing he's formed a friendship with a woman as a person, rather than just a sex object, but even that's already covered by his relationship with Chidori. It's thematically unfocused, with nothing to say and no real progress made for either character.

Arcana Fit: 3/5. As a character, Junpei is absolutely the Magician, that's perfect. However, in the context of the protagonist's journey, and his Social Link, there's almost a complete disconnect. I think that averages out to a 3/5.

II - The High Priestess
Ahhh, Fuuka. Just like Junpei, she completely misses the boat on existing in the proper position in the Fool's Journey, but even moreso. By the time she joins, the adventure is already well underway, and the Empress has fulfilled her part in the story much better. And unlike Junpei, she doesn't really fit the arcana as a character, either. She's a source of information, but it's neither spiritual, nor subconscious, it's real and material, both in the game's mechanics (as a navigator) and in her own life (loving computers and technology.) Yes, she's feminine, but that could be said of almost any of the female characters, party member or otherwise (thanks, Katsura Hashino). The worst part is how much of a near miss it is. If the solution to Fuuka's cooking problem had come from her realizing she's overthinking things, getting caught up too much in what she's Supposed To Do, instead of what feels right, not only it would also provide an excellent parallel for her relationship with her parents' expectations. As is, she'd be a much better fit for the Hermit, rather than the High Priestess.

Arcana Fit: 1/5. The only way she fits the Arcana is that she's a girl who becomes a little more feminine over the course of the Link.

III - The Empress
And from a girl who doesn't fit the definition at all, we go straight into one who fits on every level. The Empress represents the spiritual and subconscious authority, as well as a more literal maternal figure. Mitsuru is the previous leader of SEES, and you could argue that she still is even after the protagonist joins and takes over the practical duties of leadership. The group sees her as an authority and, when she talks, everyone listens (even if Yukari resents her for putting herself in that position). It's not a conscious decision anyone makes, it's just how things are. She is the subconscious leader. This is only reinforced even more by her move away from navigator, a source of material and conscious knowledge, where she was functional but unspectacular. She is much more comfortable, and the party is much more effective, once she stops forcing herself into a role simply because it's what's needed.

And in her Link, she's an equally good fit. Mitsuru, under the weight of her expectations, has completely suppressed her subconscious desires and her creativity. She is what she needs to be, and what people expect her to be. Breaking off her arranged marriage but keeping her position serves as an excellent metaphor for the Empress turning from inverted to upright. She is the one in control of herself and her femininity now. Her not being able to absolutely slam dunk her independence by potentially entering a relationship of her own by choice is something that only happens with the female protagonist, which is a drat shame, but it's not enough to knock any points off (especially since the Link that we get instead ends up having some extremely powerful "just gals being pals" energy.)

Arcana Fit: 5/5.

And that is already well over 1000 words about just the game's themes and three of the characters, so I'm going to stop here for now in the name of breaking it up and not slamming the thread with a single ginormous wall of text. (Especially because I have a lot to say about Hidetoshi, as he is in my opinion the most underrated character not just in Persona 3 but in all of 3 through 5.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 30, 2021