Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
No welcome to the velvet room message? :whitewater:
its fine don’t change anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A question for the FAQ

Can you max confidants/social links on your first play through?

It is possible to do so but it will be stressful experience for first time players and those without a guide. If you don’t get them all on your first time there is always NG+ where you carry over stats and perks that can make your schedule a lot less stressful. As the P5 loading screen says “take your time” and just have fun

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

lunar detritus posted:

At least in P4 and P5 it's pretty important to at least try and max out your party members, they get some great combat benefits.

Looking at you Ryuji’s Royal instakills

Still need to play 4 but I keep getting distracted by other games

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ROFL Octopus posted:

Maxing the s links without a guide is totally doable without a guide in 4 and 5. 3, uh, good luck.

Just chill out and have fun, these games are good times.

I did it in 3 but hoooo boy did I cut it close. I was convinced I was gonna miss it. Compared to Royal when I messed up and didn’t max out temperance before a certain point and was locked out of advancing them for a bit due to story and school related stuff. Thought that was gonna Kill my max run but I ended up spending the last months just killing time at the shrine and club.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Persona 3 did that and it was good.

YES! seeing Mitsuru and Yukari bury the hatchet was super awesome and loved seeing them have some actual character growth outside of the MC’s sphere of influence. Sadly it shortly led to a hot spring bullshit moment but anime tropes gonna anime :sigh:

Would really like to see more of that please

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Ryuji is best boy and he never left my party once in Vanilla after he was there. He should have been datable. :kimchi:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
P3 is frustrating more then hard because sometimes it pulls rough punches when you aren’t prepared. Part of it comes from light and Dark attacks in those games being insta-kills and sometimes the odds aren’t in your favor and you forget to save.

Also wanted to share this here. Took my daughter (4 year old) out for a drive and Last Surprise played on my phone. Cue me towards the end of the song hearing a toddler going “Ooooooohhhhhhhhh” along with Lyn. :kimchi:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Strikers- see that shadow with the Super Sayian Lightining bolts? Probably shouldn’t bother it just yet...
Me- ...
... I’m gonna wreck it

(Few seconds later)

Me- Oh...

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Acerbatus posted:

How the hell does tycoon work, whoever runs out of cards first wins?

A bit simplified but that’s pretty much it. I was surprised how much fun I had playing it.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Adrianics posted:

Ha, as a Persona newbie playing P5R before anything else I actually preferred Fake Igor's voice to the real one

Yeah it just felt right. Going to 3 from 5 was interesting in that regard

Acerbatus posted:

For longtime persona fans the first hint it's not just a new direction is him referring to it as "my" velvet room

... due for a replay of Royal or Vanilla and you just gave me something to watch out for

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

YaketySass posted:

IIRC the Japanese version reuses lines because the original VA died, while the dub just have him voiced by the guy who voices the SIU Director (Kirk Thornton).

I really likes Dan Worren's performance in 3 and 4 tho, and Igor in general. He just has a very neat visual design.

might be the reason Igor isn’t present in Strikers

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

RillAkBea posted:

Apparently Atlus have put some feelers out for Persona (and SMT) remakes, ports and spinoffs with a questionnaire on the Japanese site. It's a fairly broad catch all type of questionnaire so I wouldn't put any bets down yet but they did include every single Persona and SMT game (including subseries) somewhere so it's nice to know the older stuff is still somewhere on their radar even if its low priority.

They did that last year as well. Just like then it could mean something but it could also mean nothing. I don’t think we will know anything until closer to Nocturnes release and subsequent sales at the soonest

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mirello posted:

lol, does anyone else think its funny that this thread's popularity has sucked the life out of the smt thread, just like the persona games have sucked the life out of the smt franchise?

Considering we are still waiting for Nocturne and V to come out while we have Strikers freshly released I think it’s understandable there is more to talk about persona right now

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

YggiDee posted:

Time... Old dry leaves go by... Lone air comes quietly...

This pops in my head more often then I’d care to admit...

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I never play Joker as a dick... except when it’s time to button mash... that is the exception to the rule

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

amigolupus posted:

Speaking of Ann, do Royal or Strikers ever do anything with Shiho at all? It was really questionable how the sexual abuse victim who tried to commit suicide over it was pretty much forgotten aside from a small mention in Ann's S Link.

she is mentioned once in strikers that I can remember because she is wanting to buy her something like a souvenir while they are out. I think she is mentioned in Royal as well but I cant remember

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
... you know exam days for this run will literally be about 3 or so x presses and then you put the console back in sleep mode...

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

boy the teacher confidant track in persona 5 sure is uncomfortable so far

It doesn’t get any better either... :sigh:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

More than any other confidant/social link in Persona (and there are several that qualify for this) it's amazing on the surface, but entirely undermined and ruined by romancing her.

So much about it makes me feel uneasy. don’t get me wrong I love being able to help her get out of the crap she is in, but as stated above the fact she’s a romance option to a freaking teen and that she still wears the outfit and crap still after the story is resolved is ugh. What’s worse is she has one of the best benefits from advancing her track (the massage that reclaims your nights) so many times I have to hire her so I can stay on track.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Also the points you get for selling sooty clothes at the secondhand clothes shop can be used to get really useful consumables like items that cast Debilitate.

It's worth doing a small amount of laundry towards the end because it's how you get Morgana's best armor, but otherwise you're better off selling to the secondhand shop.

Yep this is the right way to do it in Royal

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Friend is lending me his PS Vita and a copy of Persona 4... it begins...

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Playing through Golden right now and I didn’t realize materials for quests and for the shop had limited space... been grinding and wanted to finish quests but because I didn’t sell everything I won’t get any more items on this run. So don’t be like me, sell everything you come across AQAP and give them to the quest folks, don’t hoard them like me. :sigh:

(Note you can still get the max of the same kind of item but there seems to be a limit in unique types of items )

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Fojar38 posted:

I'm probably going to buy every Persona related thing ever released from this point on. They got me. P5 gave me a change of heart and now I'm one of those bank machines from Kaneshiro's palace except I'm loving it

yeaaahhhhh this is me and I’ve even dipped my toe into SMT stuff as well.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Acerbatus posted:

So you cheated despicably instead of leaving the PS4 in sleep mode? For shame. :colbert:

Yep, Morgana would be so ashamed of this dereliction of slumber

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Finally at the end of Persona 4 Golden... tail end of November with no clue if I will max out my social links this time around... didn’t have this much trouble with P3P maxing them...

Got the Aeon link maxed at least so we will see... probably cutting it super close though

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

girl dick energy posted:

If you actually care: If you don't complete Justice and Heirophant before the plot happens, you'll never get another chance, but the third semester gives you lots of time to finish up just about any of the others, IIRC.

Good thing I did then! :woop:

Also in December now and like with most persona games well that all escalated quickly now didn’t it

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Just got to 12/4 and I think I’m on the right path. I knew that Aeon and Jester were important at least to get access to the bonus level. Sounds corny but the Superbutterbuns youtuber stressed them in their Golden for beginners video so I took that in consideration. Because of that I did focus on getting them maxed as soon as I could. Kept getting stalled on jester due to needing to be further along in the story but it has been progressing automatically so I think it’s ok. Still have the month to finish it

Edit: ...yeah that explains the roadblocks...

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 22, 2021

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Welp, there’s the equivalent delicious pancakes moment.

Edit : Dammit Teddie you aren’t supposed to be one to make me feel sad for you.

is this freaking try not to cry the game? Because I’m failing it...

soooo glad they all agree that teddie is an useless idiot but he’s THEIR fuzzy useless idiot

More edits: DEAR LORD THAT FACE ADACHI MADE :stonk:

from the most what the gently caress face to the most absolute punchable face

Going to bed for the night because I keep nodding off but dammmmmmmmmm I want to keep going...

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 22, 2021

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Maxed out the Sun social link (drama club) and rip my heart out of my chest with that rejection. That’s on the same level as Haru :smith:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Tail end of January and I got my last social link maxed that I think isn’t story based (one left)

Gonna spend my time finishing my compendium and either getting the quests finished or possibly getting the books all done. I don’t think I can do both...

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Got to the end of golden on the vita and it just... crashed... cut scene cut out right in the middle of it playing and it’s now scrolling end game credits with no sound and no names. Just red text.

I feel like I’m losing my mind

Edit: found out I made a mistake anyways... but the last time I save was at the begining of the bonus dungeon...

I’m not ok with this

Edit 2: into the misery dungeon we go again... yes I’ll take that grief stone because that’s all I’m feeling right now

Edit 3: saved before the end this time. If it crashes again will need to give the vita back to the person I borrowed it from to reinstall it. At least I don’t have to fight that dungeon again

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 24, 2021

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I’m so glad the game crashed now because I would have missed an entire different ending. NOW DONT CRASH ON ME THIS TIME

nanako mentions the gas station...
me:... OH GOD DAMMIT REALLY?! THATS WHY THEY ONLY APPEARED ON RAINY DAYS?!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Finally beat it. I don’t know if their copy downloaded incorrectly or if 100+ hours of gameplay made something snap but I beat Golden and got the best ending. I will tell myself that it was game trying to prevent me from not seeking the truth fully. :downs:

Now if you’ll excuse me before I go and tackle a new game plus there is one more god I need to reject... (stares at the switch

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
On the topic of golden voice acting, Rise’s voice actress in Japanese is more... accurate for a idol but it would get on my nerves super quickly so I don’t think I would even try a Japanese Voiceover run. The English VA cast in Golden was stellar and I loved all of them so much. (Shout our to Naoto and Kanji for stellar deliveries in practically every way)

And this... spoilers for funny in game moment more then anything

Edit: stroller isn’t stellar

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 1, 2021

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

drat I thought I learned some weird rear end slang to use

I mean... no one is stopping you...

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sapozhnik posted:

Thanks, also one other question: I'm trying to progress the shrine fox's S-Link but I'm not sure how to proceed. He gave me that first votive offering that came from some girl with a crush(?) but I spoke to everyone at Yasogami High and nobody seemed to have any connection to it. The quest log entry doesn't exactly give me much to go on.

Many of the Foxes links involve chatting with NPCs until you find the right one. They can be anywhere from the school to the river bank/flood plane and shopping districts.

If you want spoilers though, it’s been a month or so since I played it but I’m pretty sure it is in the high school but it’s multi day event. Pretty sure it’s a shy person by the shoe lockers near the entrance.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Strikers on PC, did they ever fix the loading issues it was suffering from? I remember so many people were frustrated with that when it first launched and hope they didn’t abandon it.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
All this talk about going back has reminded me I need to go back and try to get platinum for the vanilla 5 but going back without all the QOL improvements might be a hard sell :sigh:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I was kind of disappointed that they made the plat so basic in P5R. Sure there's the Phantom Thief hideout cheevos, but they're impossible to do in a single playthrough so you would have to be sitting on a NG+ file. I think an all achievement run of P5 would be really interesting to try and route

Not sure if I’m understanding properly... however if you are talking about a single play through platinum run it is possible on Royal (I did that when I played it) but impossible on Vanilla. Pretty sure you have to 100% the compendium and fight the secret boss fight to get platinum in vanilla and both of those are not even possible until NG+

A talking coyote posted:

I’m gonna do it, it’s downloading now lord help me.:negative:

Igor: Very Well... let us begin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A goon was able to get me a PlayStation Vita and I was able to get my hands on a decent sized memory card for it! To honor this occasion and the fact this thing is destined to be a Classic Game/Persona system, I think it’s about time I played the older Persona games...

May the long rear end downloads commence

Edit: of course this also means a Golden Switch Port is more likely now that I’m getting a copy of it for this now. Need a physical one eventually because I love my physical copies but 20 bucks for Golden isn’t a hard sell

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 17, 2021