Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Persona 4 Golden are my favorites.
Turn-based combat is very good and as relevant today as it ever was.
Amanda Winn-Lee voices Yukiko in P4, Haru in Devil Survivor Overclocked and Rei in original NGE. She is always the best.

My initial thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have never maxed all S Links. I forgot in P4 that you miss out on all December if you finish the final dungeon in one day.

anakha posted:

This started playing in my head as soon as i opened this thread.

At the Hollow Forest dungeon now in P4G and hoo boy, the mechanics make this an absolute slog.

On the other hand, it does have the best dungeon theme in the series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHoMvZEHWJo

And also Marie is Best Girl.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just wanna know why in all the years I've heard people talk about Naoto nobody brings up her battle voice-acting.

"Somebody finish this one off!"

How many times can a voice crack or warble in one line? It has to have been intentional and it's just so jarring since her voice-acting is consistently reserved and stoic outside of battle. It's endearing but, again, so incredibly jarring and different.

anakha Team Yukiko is very good, she was who I romanced in my latest run and I almost romanced her in my first before choosing Marie. They're both top tier.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno, Cherami Leigh (Makoto) is a pretty big anime "standard" anime voice-actress who I've been hearing since 2011 or 2012 because Fairy Tail. I love her performances but I don't think she's special compared to other dub VAs like the P3 and P4 crew. (Although it has to be said, Liam O'Brien has improved dramatically since those mid 2000 days. You look at P3 or his early Naruto work as Gaara and it's...not great.)

But thinking of Leigh and Makoto just reminds me how excited I was for Makoto. Everybody was. All sorts of talk about her being Best Girl before P5 came out. That didn't last long, at least on forums like this. I know she still does well in polls but I don't see that popularity reflected in the places I post.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Persona thread should rep Persona mods.

Yosuke Romance Mod

In case anyone missed it last time around Christmas in the MegaTen thread.

I'd be more interested in trying it if I could also get the gameplay mod to work but I couldn't so that sucks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Teddy looks drat fine in his Alice cosplay.

Absolutely. I tended to alternate costumes for everyone else but in my last run I kept Teddie as Alice pretty much all game, even for the final boss.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Yukiko's "I have to go now and cry about something else" in P4 was pretty strong too.

mastajake posted:

All of the rejections in 4 (save Chie, I think) were brutal like Haru's. Kinda surprised you can't just say "I'm already dating someone" though, in either game.

It's because they all fall in love with you. You don't start a romance with every girl like in P3 but they pretty much all develop very clear romantic feelings for you which you just have to crush.

Yukiko's was so painful to do in my first run. Marie's wasn't any easier in my second run.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Gotta go mainline for that, you got Mem Aleph, Innana, Danu...

Don't forget Tiamat. I remember in SJR she explicitly gives you gifts from her womb.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

anakha posted:

I've had the Hollow Forest theme playing in my head on and off all day. That song is haunting.

It's an unbelievably great song.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

anakha posted:

While listening to the P4G OST, I Iooked up the lyrics to the Heaven dungeon theme.

""Still music keeps on tuning me from the words that hurt my soul, removing doubts from my mind..."

That put Nanako's love for the Junes theme into a depressing new light.

Anybody else speedrun that dungeon on the first day or was it just me?

I'm gonna bet pretty much everyone did. You should be one-daying dungeons by that point anyway but of course I had extra, EXTRA motivation to finish it immediately.

Nanako is the greatest proof P4 is a masterpiece of unparalleled skill.Intensely, intentionally adorable and lovable kid? Any worse writing and she would have had the biggest hatedom ever.

Luckily, the writing was good enough to make me love my Anime Dad and Anime Little Sister. Big part of why P4 is my favorite.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wudz posted:

I'm not sure if it's because I happened to hear it at the right time in my life or what, but Snowflakes still hits pretty deep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFTbH43n77Q

P4G's entire soundtrack is one of the best ever but if I had to pick a single song to represent the game, it's Snowflakes. If there was someone who knew nothing about Persona 4, I'd play this song and say "this embodies the entire spirit of why this game is the best."

Similarly, this song is P3 for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYXupyFb3A8

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ostentatious posted:

I always wonder what the persona gang is up to now that they are anime old for instance I believe that rascal akihiko currently suffers from CTE onset by being punched in the head too much

It's funny to imagine all the P2 IS kids are now old fogies.

Well, by anime standards. They're probably more like my age. But still, 30-something is a huge jump from high school. Eikichi has probably stopped dressing up like he used to. Lis and Tatsuya are happily married, of course.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Some WRPGs do this like Dragon Age so yeah, I'm all for it in Persona.

I'm all for Kanji x Naoto.

And Chie x Yukiko even though we will absolutely never see that, sadly.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

To me, it was always Ryuji screaming about "rotten adults." It sounds so incredibly petulant and immature, like saying "Parents...they just don't understand." So incredibly cringy.

I know some people tried to tell me Ryuji literally just meant rotten adults and not adults are rotten but that wasn't how it came across to me. Maybe if Royal is ever on PC and on sale someday, I'll try it again and be more charitable.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There have been good, even great dubs in anime and video games for over 20 years.

I play pretty much every game in English for practical reasons. If they don't use real cutscenes but instead use VN style dialogue like Strange Journey Redux or actual VN's, I can deal with the Japanese voicework. I also played Innocent Sin with the Japanese dub as I played a fan translation of the PS1 version but of course most of the dialogue was text and even voiced lines had text boxes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Weirdly enough I think I prefer the old English Teddie, because he sounded like someone doing a Richard Horvitz impression.

I think most folks prefer Dave Wittenberg. He's an awesome VA. Sam Riegel is also awesome but I think Wittenberg avoided going too over-the-top with it and also his greater range meant his Shaow Teddie didn't have to use the heavy voice distortion. It could be creepy all on its own and still sound like Teddie.

quote:

This is why you always have him in the Alice outfit.

One of many reasons.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know I've talked about this before but it blows my mind the kids in P2IS all have cell phones. Just random high school kids in the late 90s have cell phones?

I come from a poor family and was a;sp raised by my grandmother but we moved to a nice suburb for the last half of my education and I don't recall everyone in my school having a cell phone.

Also GTA3 in 2001 had a fuckin' pager as your thing. That's what I remember everyone having in he late 90s and early 2000s.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Yeah the hardest part of P4G is Yukikos castle and the boss that spawns in there after your first time through it. It's a bit weird that the third (?) boss of the game is twice as hard as anything else in the game.

Hardest boss all game? I dunno, maybe.

Even if she is #1, I think Shdow Mitsuo is a close second for me. True, once you know the trick it helps a lot but still trying to deal damage at just the right times so he's just a baby with no shell formed at all when he reaches the various phases of the fight is annoying as hell. Also his insta death bullshit wiped me my first run.

But as always, the hardest part of One More system is the fact you have to do loving everything. That's why the dungeons and bosses are hadest in early game, because you have to do buffs, debuffs and attacks all on your own.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 9, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

I set Teddie up as my Buff/Debuff Boy and ice mage.

As did I in my last run but it takes a decent while for him to join.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I liked Shido. Like Adachi, the game really should have just been about him, not an evil cup.

https://youtu.be/z2OH_7SblE0

Only dungeon I remember in the game thanks to this absolutely awesome song and the speech.

P.S.
I keep forgetting he is Flynn from SMTIV and IVA.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

You know I always thought it was kind of odd that in P4 to exclusively call your uncle by his last name.

Especially strange for me because when you talk about Dojima, you almost invariably talk about Nanako...Dojima.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

Probably worth keeping in mind that the intended audience is primarily high-school age teenagers and not the already embittered adults that likely make up most, if not all, the people posting here.

They're still enjoyable, and all, yes, but some things just don't connect in the same way, if at all.

Actually there was an interesting poll from when P5 came out that showed most players are in fact adults
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/deng...2030%20and%2039

quote:

19.9% of respondents are aged between 10 and 19
62.6% of respondents are aged between 20 and 29
23.1% of respondents are aged between 30 and 39
4.4% of respondents are over 40

I guess they could have started with P3 or 4 and moved into the second demo by 5 but still.

These games are for olds who want to imagine high school life was cool instead of horrible, kinda like how cheerleaders are popular because guys want to imagine they were cool enough to be with a cheerleader.

gently caress that FF Tactics kid, escapism is cool and good.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 12, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Ehh the three stooges did worse

Acerbatus posted:

you might want to sit down for this, but the three stooges is primarily a comedy while persona is not.

This is a debate I've been having with some people since I played P4 for the first time in 2017 - what to make of gag scenes.

People give Yosuke poo poo but it is Chie who introduces herself by physically assaulting him in a very vulnerable, dangerous spot without any real provocation and also ​later on steals his money.

Sounds terrible, why would you be friends with anyone who does such awful things to you? Simple answer is because it's a gag. Persona might not be a comedy but it is absolutely loaded with comedy. All that was missing win those scenes was a horn going womp womp. Persona loves its 90s humor.

But some people really take gag scenes super seriously. I've honestly heard people ask why the Investigation Team are even friends given the high number of these scenes. And it isn't even that high but people remember them and Mystery Food X and etc. and judge all of the IT's relationship with each other by those standards. The standards of scenes you are not in any way supposed to take seriously or think about and which have absolutely no bearing on the characters.

Never made sense to me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Persona games would have an easier time with separating 'gag' violence from 'real' violence by giving all of the characters SD portraits to use during comedy skits.

That's a good idea. Saw it in classic 90s anime like Fushigi Yuugi so it would go perfect in Persona.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Basically our dad options are 'lovely', 'dead', 'absent', or 'fails to notice their child fighting monsters daily.' Could be worse, they could be Persona 2 dads.

Weaboo and Conspiracy Dad weren't too terrible.

I think Lisa's dad actually fights off the Nazis IIRC.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

They're both great and I love 'em. I prefer Yukiko but Chie is still great.

But Chie has always been highly beloved by everyone, be they Japanese or English posters on forums like this.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

If we're talking good P2 songs, this is the best final boss theme in Persona history, IMO. Nyarly is also the best final boss in the series, at least in EP. Just so incredibly satisfying in a way no final boss besides P3's has been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVKqFXKa00

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

The final boss themes for both P4 and P5 have been lackluster and I'm not sure why after the headbanger that was Battle for Everyone's Souls. Even the boss fights are kinda 'eh'. It's like they really tried to replicate the 'imposing giant representation of all of society against you' and just missed the memo on why Nyx was so threatening in the first place.

Because P4 and P5 are fundamentally human stories pursuing human antagonists that are hijacked by supernatural bullshit nobody cared about.

Granted (P4 spoilers), Ameno-sagiri could be seen as the Necron to Adachi's Kuja, appearing out of the blue and stealing the main villain's thunder, but I never felt "robbed" by AS. Izanami is far more bullshit. Nobody cares about her or that final dungeon. Because P4 is built up all around "The Killer" just like P5 is built up all around Shido and his conspiracy.

Also AS and Shido have way better boss themes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrjeZHsgxqg

I only know this from the Arena character select but they claim it's from P4. I've played P4 twice now and can't recall hearing it once. Unless Golden removed it?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Bonus track on the Persona 4 soundtrack disc that came with the artbook for the original PS2 release.

Arist posted:

It's a bonus track on the OST. P3 had a similar track.

Fair enough. Thanks for the info.

It's a neat track, glad Arena used it so I could hear it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Haru was the only party member I liked in my one run of original P5. I would have gladly romanced her but she' joins so goddamned late that I'm sure most people already had a romance with somebody else by that point. I know I did.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All I know is instant death spells are way worse in P3 than 4. I played P3P on Maniac and in he first few floors, even enemies weak to Light or Dark often were not hit by Hama/Mudo while they drat near always hit my party.

It was something like Hama/Mudo would miss 3/4 times even when they were weak to it, while their Hams and Mudos would hit me 3/4 times.

They definitely fixed this in 4.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Amanda Winn-Lee always voices the best characters:
Ulala in Eternal Punishment
Haru in Devil Survivor 1
That chick from DDS
Yukiko

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You beat me to it.

Always gonna be the best Persona game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So this is a random, dumb question but I've always wondered about Kanji's name.

I know one part of the Japanese writing system is called kanji. So isn't Kanji's name like being called Letter or Alphabet or something? Is there more of a difference in Japanese between the word kanji and the name Kanji?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

P3's final battle theme is very good though so presumably that counts for something.

For story and music reasons, P2's and P3's are the only Persona final bosses I've liked.

If Persona 4 had ended with Ameno-sagiri at least it could have gone out on great music.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Watching a Persona 2 LP is making me want to replay this great game.

Also they are playing the PSP version, I played the PSX fan translation. Can't help but notice they call Eikichi's school a different nickname between them and the wiki even notes it:

quote:

Kasugayama High School (春日山高校*)? is a dungeon in the Persona 2 duology. It is a boys'-only school with a derogatory nickname. In the Japanese version, it is referred to as "Kasu High" (カス高) which means "Dregs High" because it is renowned for accepting delinquent students, usually expelled from other schools. In the official English version of Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP), the nickname is translated as "Cuss High". Alternatively, the fan translation for the PSX version calls it "K'rear end-u-gay-ama High".

Always felt that sounded so weird, although Cuss High is pretty frickin' lame, too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Spiffster posted:

A goon was able to get me a PlayStation Vita and I was able to get my hands on a decent sized memory card for it! To honor this occasion and the fact this thing is destined to be a Classic Game/Persona system, I think it’s about time I played the older Persona games...

May the long rear end downloads commence

Edit: of course this also means a Golden Switch Port is more likely now that I’m getting a copy of it for this now. Need a physical one eventually because I love my physical copies but 20 bucks for Golden isn’t a hard sell

So you haven't P4G? Hope you enjoy the best Persona!

Well, I think it's the best. Many disagree for one reason or another but I at least hope you like it so your money wasn't all wasted.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As a Fairy Tail fan, I was super excited to have Cherami Leigh in a Persona game.

Then she voiced Makoto. Disappoint. I remember when this game came out somebody on here was very critical of her performance, said it lacked passion or spirit or something. I mean..it kinda did but I figured that was just Makoto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

Persona is an escapist power fantasy in which your self-insert character gains the ability to perform unbelievable feats like summoning demons, traveling to a supernatural otherworld, and diligently studying for exams.

I think the only fantasy anybody cares about in Persona is the fantasy of having friends and a loving family.

Notably P3 did not give you an Anime Dad, let alone an anime little sister. P5 seemed like it was largely trying to recreate a lot of the same feel as P4. I wonder if P6 will as well or if it will try to be more of its own thing.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 14, 2021