Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

every time Kanji comes on screen he steals the show. top tier character absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Mirello posted:

Hey I have a question:

Did royal fix a lot of the translation weirdness in P5? I'll planning to play it when (if) it comes out on pc. I remember P5's script had a lot of awkwardness and bad translations, especially early on. This is in contrast to most of the atlus translations, which I feel were done well. Even playing strikers right now, I'm at the beginning but it seems a lot more smooth than base P5 was, at least according to my memory.

Hmm... could this be the rumored cat?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Harrow posted:

I don't know if it's quite fair to say it's "stop rebelling," though I do think that two of the party member social links (Yukiko and Rise) really trip over that hard. Both of them have roughly the same arc: "I don't want to do the thing; oh no I feel guilty about not doing the thing; I was wrong, I do want to do the thing, but on my terms."

I think a lot of people interpreted Kanji's new look in the P4G epilogue as him conforming but remember what his whole deal is. That punk look was never the real Kanji. It was him adopting this super-macho facade because people thought he was weird for being into "girly" things. Throughout his social link, he finds the courage to be who he really is and finds people who accept and celebrate that side of him. So when we see him in the epilogue looking a lot more conventional, that's not him burying who he really is to conform. He's dropping the tough guy act and being the gentle dude who loves sewing that he is at heart.

The tough guy thing wasn't an act. It eas definitely a part of him but a part he over-emphasized because of social pressure.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Harrow posted:

First: yeah, it's bad.

I think the intention is that Kanji is struggling with his masculinity and is unsure about his sexuality. He performs this over the top toxic masculinity to overcompensate for people thinking he's weird or gay because he likes to sew cute things. He has a ton of internalized homophobia and that's why his dungeon and shadow look like they do.

It's just, well, it's a dungeon made out of homophobia in a game that is itself homophobic. Right after that, there's the whole bit with Yosuke's homophobia on the camping trip and the joke is at Kanji's expense, not Yosuke's. It's all fumbled pretty badly.

kanji's rank 10 s-link takes place in your room which aside from him only happens for characters you've romanced. he is 100% gay. he likes Naoto too because he's bi or not an absolute 6 on the kinsey scale but he definitely likes men in a romantic manner and you know what good for him

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

evidence kanji is gay/bi (non-exhaustive)

1. Rank 10 S-link takes place in your bedroom something only people you romance do aside from him

2. tells you in this s-link that he's realized the shadow from the bathhouse is him

3. begs Naoto before the beauty pageant to participate in the swimsuit portion because it will let him know that he's "not... you... know..." (implying he has never been sexually attracted to a woman before Naoto.)

4. anytime they give you an option to ask what kind of girl you like you can always pick Kanji and he's always cool with it.

Yes, Kanji's arc isn't up to today's standards but I remember in 2008 having a gay character as a hero in an action game was wild as hell.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

bobjr posted:

I guess the Persona 4 anime has a picture of Chie's dog

thats a sick-rear end dog. i love him

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah this honestly is a much better read, even if the theme remains this is the point. Haru gets to have Milady who is a pretty face with a violent gunshow, Makoto is the woman pope who has to be perfect and hide her true self to lead.

I also like that the third tier is the person behind the mask, the actor/performer/real person empowered by their divine second tier.

yeah it was really cool to have the second tier be something different with the idea of "this is the real me" and then the third actually goes back to the first by accepting that how others see you is actually an integral part of who you are and that rejecting it completely for the idea of the "inner self" is just as juvenile as being completely trapped and defined by others

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

square enix seems to be having constant fire sales for all non-dragon quest/ final fantasy ips. Atlus probably could make a new ogre battle extremely easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Finally. I only assume our constant badgering and harassment payed off. Manifesting a reality where p5r is on PC.

This is truly mankind's desire. To be told to go to bed by a cat.

I would unironically love that. My cat now mainly tells me to get up at 3