Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Its a small thing I guess, but the choice to tie the resource that lets you stay in tartarus longer (twilight fragments) directly into how much you have progressed your social links feels really good. I like the feedback loop here, where because I advanced all my social links I can stay in tartarus an extremely long time even on harder difficulties, which means I then have more free days to work on advancing social links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Fuuka never wants to do gardening and its driving me crazy.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Majorian posted:

I THINK she is more available for that closer to endgame? I dunno, I might be misremembering.

Mr E posted:

That's what I remember.

I guess I'll just keep keeping my eyes open. At first I thought "Well, its a very strong effect so it makes sense her combat characteristics would be harder to get." But honestly, Yukari is out there casting heal spells for practically free because of hers and the game has given me a thousand chances to rank hers up so who knows really.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

The thing you can read on the shared computer that increases the money you get from part time jobs shows up so late in the game as to be completely pointless.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah I get that part time jobs are always pretty worthless. Even from the very beginning of the game really, your first real trip into Tartarus its trivial to get strong enough that you can infinitely farm money on the early floors if you have all the patience and free time in the world. But it still feels extra silly to, in October, say "hey pay 8000 yen, use up a time slot, and you can get slightly more money from those part time jobs."

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Do you even do part time jobs in the OG Persona 3....

I think they were added in portable originally.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Elizabeth has a request to kill a greedy shadow in block 5 of tartarus. I have gone through all of block 5 that is available and did not get the quest done. Can I go back to the start of the block and keep trying on this visit, or do I need to come back on a different day to reset the spawn chance of event floors?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

i'm pretty sure that the greedy shadow counts as a floor modifier and that any floor you've already been to is going to keep whatever modifiers or lack of modifiers it had when it first generated on this visit. So no, you're gonna have to come back. I had the exact same issue, by the way. I'm not even 100% sure the greedy shadow can spawn in the first chunk of block 5.

Also if you don't have Fuuka's Tartarus Search skill yet it's better to grind that out first since it makes it way less frustrating to get greedy shadows.

The greedy shadow can definitely appear in the first half of the block, I know since I got one to spawn earlier this visit but failed the coin flips and my Futaba did not know Tartarus search yet. My Futaba is NOW high enough level for Tartarus search though, which I wasn't aware could cheat the greedy shadow encounters before you said that, so that is good to know thanks.
If all floors keep their modifiers for the whole visit, I'm imagining the floor I got it to spawn on technically keeps the "Greedy shadow" modifier, but also that modifier just keeps it a dead floor with already opened chests then, which is a bummer. Thanks for the reply.

I guess its not the end of the world to go back to Tartarus another night at this point though. Not like I do anything else at night time other then occasionally visit the dating site url.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Zokari posted:

yeah this is why it's so silly that people stress out about finishing tartarus in 1 night

in the back half of the game you have loving NOTHING to do at night

Honestly I think its the later persona game mindset that is hard to shake. When I played Persona 3 FES way back in the day I didn't mind taking multiple trips to clear tartarus. But now that I've played through persona 4 and 5, where it actually genuinely helps a lot to be able to clear the dungeon in one day every time, its hard to shake the mindset that I need to do as much of the dungeon as possible in a single day.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Though honestly past a certain point it would be hard NOT to clear tartarus in a single night. When Yukari is full healing my team for only 4sp and my main character can win many of the battles using one cast of myriad of arrows that only takes some health and no sp. And this is even before accounting for Fuuka occasionally just giving you all your sp back for free, or all the many sp recovery items you collect over time.

Clearing Tartarus in one day on your first couple blocks feels good, but after that its just standard. I just did the entirety of the end of november / start of december block in one day and my party is MC with literally full sp, Yukari with 305 sp, Aigus completely full, and koromaru with 249. If I was able to keep going I'm confident Fuuka would give me all my sp back again before I hit 0.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 19, 2024

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I ended up falling two social links short of fully platinuming the game on one playthrough. Given that I didn't follow any kind of guide and often made sub optimal choices for how I spent my time, it feels like this game really eased up on the time needed to do things. Like social links needed less points to rank up each time maybe?

Anyway, if I wanted to burn through the game on fastforward on new game plus to get that last trophy, do I miss anything from ignoring every single elizabeth request? I genuinely forget if any of them unlock things that make social links easier. Like I can still get the dating site url in the late game, and the relationship fortunes at the shrine either way right?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I think there's also a fine line between a boss being a puzzle and a boss just being a checklist of things you adjust for over several trial and error deaths.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

12/10 on my new game plus fast forward mindless playthrough and I have every social link maxed (except the fool, judgement, and aeon obviously). This was with wasting some time still doing things like a few of the linked episodes. So on new game plus there's an exceptionally high number of spare days for social links.

If the game wasn't so slow paced, even on fast forward, I'd be tempted to see if I could get a 100% playthrough without new game plus or a guide. It feels like it'd be pretty doable this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

that's tighter than you'd think given that like half the remaining time is going to be eaten by breaks and you still have Aigis's whole s. link left. School links are still subject to a decent amount of crunch

Yeah, though there's definitely some time with full planning and foresight where I could have pushed the non school social links even further back in preference of going to the shrine, and Mitsuru can be done during the pre exam week even though she's a school link so you can push a lot of her link off too to make more time for the others.

Zokari posted:

yeah on my new game + run i only finished with like 2 days to spare

the linked episodes aren't really optional, you can't get orpheus telos without doing them

e: wait you might be able to get him but you can't finish the compendium

I think nothing stops you from doing the linked episodes on a different playthroughs though, if you're really just trying to 100 percent the compendium. Orpheus Telos has the specific requirement that you need to get every social link in one go, but all the linked episodes just reward one specific persona unlock that you can fuse immediately and just have in your compendium.