Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

kanji is my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Naoto's romance is so bad

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

anakha posted:

Most of the investigator crew's English voices sound too old for the characters they're dubbing. I ended up switching to the Japanese dub after getting called Senpai in Rise's 'way too husky voice for a 15-year old' for the umpteenth time.

Look at this fool who doesn't like Peak Anime Laura Bailey

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Two notes: First, you might want to include Faith and Justice for Royal, because those don't block off progression but are good and also missable.

Second, you can do Aeon through all of December in P4G. It's available literally every single day that month to facilitate that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ai is great, I love how if you agree to date her when she's in the middle of a breakdown she breaks up with you at the end of her Link.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Harrow posted:

- Bring Yusuke to the jazz club on 9/4 and he can learn Charge. (You could also bring Ryuji but he'll naturally learn that later so it's kind of a waste)
- Bring Makoto to the jazz club on 9/25 and she can learn Concentrate. (Same as above for Ann--she'll learn it naturally later)

I discovered this in the old Royal thread and it rules, here's the damage Ryuji and Yusuke's Showtime did after Charge:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So good you mean.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you haven't done the rank of Naoto's Link she appears in by that point it just changes to accomodate.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apropos of absolutely nothing, the funniest thing in any of these games is Troy Baker's pronunciation of the word "ruckus," which pops into my brain once a month and causes me to lose my poo poo every time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Considering he's actually playing P3P and not vanilla or FES, he should just turn Direct Commands on because they limited the AI commands you can give in Portable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, I see. Well, FES has more AI options that you unlock, so that's something to consider.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm glad Kanji finally got Power Charge in Golden to let him actually take advantage of his stat advantage over Chie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Artelier posted:

Persona 5 Striker's first dungeon feels oddly designed. From the moment you do the diversion, there's like at least 30 minutes of gameplay with no save points in there. I say at least, because I ran out of resources after 30 minutes and couldn't beat the battle on retry so I went back all the way to the start of the infiltration...

Yeah you have to go back to the start once you finish the diversion or you're boned, it's weird

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've come to accept that despite being a nightmare person, Sae has a really solidly delivered arc. It just feels like whoever decided what Makoto's ultimate aspiration should be didn't get the memo on the lesson Sae has to learn.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like Yusuke had a pretty distinctive speech pattern, though maybe that's just how Mercer plays him

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

how dare you say this about kugimiya rie

speaking of i used the jp dub for p5 just because futaba's jp va is my favorite voice actor

Rie Kugimiya is a good voice actress, but her Rise is insufferable

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

this is the best line aigis has ever gotten

What the hell I like Aigis now

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like a lot of the time you can tell when Lotus Juice wrote the lyrics versus when Franklin did.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, Milady is a straight-up villain in The Three Musketeers, the theme is pretty loose. Also, the UFO is funny.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If it helps, the Necronomicon and its manifestation as a UFO represent forbidden knowledge. Same with Prometheus.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Badger of Basra posted:

So in base P5, at the start, when Sae shows up in the torture basement to talk to you he says "there's a call from your director" before her phone rings and she talks to the director. Weird!

In P5R at the same point he now says "I just got off the phone with your director" which is much more normal.

But! When this scene replays later during the normal course of the story, it goes back to the original "there's a call from your director" line.

Lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Adrianics posted:

I am insistent it isn't Kirk Thornton playing Fake Igor in the anime. His voice sounds much more forced and much less natural than in P5/P5R.

While I'm on the subject, can we talk about how loving great the P4 anime is? It expanded on a lot of stuff in the game in a very compelling way (particularly the final battle and Yu's character) while still keeping true to the themes and tone of the game.

BIG P4 SPOILER: Nanako's death is just amazingly handled, so incredibly depressing and intense. Yu crying on Yosuke's shoulder was heartbreaking.

Kirk Thornton is only Real Igor. The Fake Igor is played by David Lodge. His voice does sound notably different in the P5 anime, but I'm pretty sure it's still him because he sounds just like his role in Dragon's Dogma.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A huge part of Kanji's character is that the punk affectation is him pigeonholing himself as a reaction to being mocked for having "feminine" interests. That is the "role" society would rather he put himself into. His decision to break himself out of that box is the opposite of him staying the way society would prefer him to be, counterintuitive as it may seem.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I agree that it's weird that it uses LGBT imagery, but that's not a problem with the epilogue, it's a problem with Persona 4. The epilogue is just consistent with the prior characterization.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Artelier posted:

One unintuitive tip for the first end dungeon boss of Persona 4 Golden is just bench Chie. That extra turn that Shadow Yukiko gets is much more painful than letting "Forever Guarding" Chie sit out.

I think you can do the boss relatively comfortably around level...9 or so since you should gain access to fire-immune Senri

Pretty sure you can't edit your party at that point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tower is one of the few good links in vanilla P3 (you know it's true because it's one of the ones they didn't replace for FeMC)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't hate Hidetoshi too much but I forgot Bebe was even in the game lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaius Marius posted:

Yuko and Chihiro were alright, and the old couple, and mr.sun. I think the Gourmet king drags the average down into the gutter in peoples mind

Well and then there's ones that are just complete wastes of time like Fortune. Actually, maybe Fortune was good! Impossible to know, no one has ever gotten it past Rank 2. I dare you to tell me his name without looking it up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The trick is you bring Kanji, Power Charge when the shell's about to die, kill the shell on the next turn, then deny the All-Out Attack when it gets downed and Vile Assault with Kanji for like a third of its health

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like Yusuke but his Confidant is not better than Kanji's SL

In the last rank of Yusuke's Confidant they suddenly try to staple on Madarame secretly caring about Yusuke and it's weird as hell

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaius Marius posted:

Being able to save shinji sucks rear end, damages ken and akihikos arcs and accomplishes nothing.

nah it rules

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

3 is paced terribly but I agree that 4 is actually paced pretty well. There's a real sense of narrative momentum accomplished by the plot recap scenes with the Investigation Team even when they're not really getting much done before Naoto shows up, plus the stronger group dynamic and more time devoted to scenes of just spending time with everyone allow for good opportunities to decompress in between story beats.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The P4G anime is a totally different beast, in addition to not being great. The P4 anime is a retelling of the game with some interesting creative decisions, the P4G anime pretty much only focuses on the new stuff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

bobjr posted:

If they did do a more adult cast of party members for a game it would be kind of interesting if you were actually more limited in party member choice for some dungeons because they had real life stuff in the way.

They did that in Persona 3 and it was just kind of annoying

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's actually just true that the game spelling out Kanji's sexuality would weaken his arc because then everyone who mocked him gets vindicated on some level. At that point, liking cute things was the result of his sexuality, and that's a weird message to send.

You can argue whether that matters enough to bother not doing it, but it would have an effect.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I've heard non-specific rumors browsing reddit and some-such that Persona 3 would be getting a PC HD re-release. Which would be amazing if true.

I very strongly doubt those rumors are founded in anything. That's not to say they aren't making that game, I just distrust that the person who started them knows anything at all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a bonus track on the OST. P3 had a similar track.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like Game Pass is stretching credibility just a bit there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fair. I was just thinking about Atlus, not Sega in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DC Murderverse posted:

Related question: what are all the red things on the beef bowl in Ryuji/Yusuke’s Showtime attack? That bowl looks hella tasty (as does most of the food in this game) but I couldn’t figure that out

Also post recipe for Korean BBQ plz

Pretty sure it's ginger.