Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

How is Persona Q2? I clearly love Persona and I also love Etrian Odyssey, but Q1 kinda lost me halfway through. I've heard Q2 is better, though?

You made the right choice on dropping Q, I somehow managed to beat it despite it being one of the most tedious, braindead, unfun slogs imaginable. The combat system is broken, the dungeons bad, the story is not interesting when they even bother having any, they boil down everyone's character so much that they become walking catchphrases.

That game and Pillars of Eternity are the only two games that I can say I completely regret playing, no fun was had and nothing was learned. I enjoyed Persona 1 more than Q, it's just awful.

Edit: Ai is the best girlfriend in P4, she's like every woman I've ever dated in real life. The Drama girl and The music girl are the worst.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Smt1 did have an official version released on iPhone, that got removed when apple updated it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Being able to access every battle option in Persona 5 with a single button press is really slick and I miss it when I play any other JRPG.

Golden’s really good though and it shouldn’t be hard to go back. Hell I want to when I’m done with my Royal NG+. I believe it was the debut of manual skill inheritance so it dodges the biggest hurdle of playing old games.

It's really nice but then it kills me when the animations are so slow, It's one of the reasons I still mostly prefer the pre 3d rpg's

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

It is definitely noticeably slower-paced in battle compared to P5. Having the characters in P5 pre-summon their personas when you press the triangle button is a huge time save and feels really slick.
Yeah, it's pretty good in P5, I do think there's still a problem with Enemy animations, I think that's what leads to all the hate for Okumura. Even I got frustrated by him, and I've been bodied by hundreds of enemies in Megaten games, I think the problem isn't only that he's a difficulty spike and a technique check but also that his drat robots take loving forever to get up and then do their animations/attacks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mirello posted:

Same, I find speedhack to be a lifesaver in a lot of rpgs that I don't really play for battles anyways. It's also super duper easy and doesn't mess anything up. Once I experienced turbo mode in trails in the sky, it was all over lol. I could never sit through slow animations in a jrpg again.

It saved my life in Dragon Quest 8, Love the game but drat I never would've beat it without Frameskip on 8x

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's kind of nuts how there was such a small gap between the release of P3 and P4, given the "literally almost a decade" one between P4 and P5. P6 probably won't come out until like 2025 or something.

There's only a year between GTAIII and Vice City, and 14 months between F3 and New Vegas. Being able to work on the same engine and reuse assets is a massive bonus, It was also the sixth game they'd done on Ps2 so they probably knew the thing inside and out by that point

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I had victory cry the first time I got to the hollow forest so it's whole gimmick ended up being such a hilarious non issue

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think we'll ever know for certain, all that's been dug up is a couple dozen lines at most.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They did Fine with Jun and Tatsuya if you went that route, the problem is Hashino not the franchise

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anybody complaining about Morgana, remember that this is what we coulda got, we dodged a bullet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rise is surprisingly alright in her own link, she's a fun girl to date. I literally don't remember what chief's slink even is. She's the biggest gulf in entertainment between her in the story and in her slink.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I feel the exact opposite way, rise seems like she needed a vacation and some work life balance and she'd be fine. Yukikko never seemed like she'd be happy just running an in.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not like the we can claim we're any better look what we did to Britney

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't know what anybodies rejection scenes looked like because I did the morally correct thing and dated all of them, at once, without telling them. It's gonna be such a poo poo show when they get to talking and realize Yu's slept with half of Inaba.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

Good Moms on the other hand...
Gotta go mainline for that, you got Mem Aleph, Innana, Danu...

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

One thing I learned from Persona, is that teen boys loooove Yukata. Its the hottest thing they've ever seen

It's like seeing a pretty girl in a dress, it doesn't happen everyday.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah everyone gets in yukatas in Strikers. It's nice. Strikers is honestly a pleasant surprise in a few ways.

Does Joker take off his glasses, it's nice to randomly take off your glasses when you're in a yukata

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You get the whole story later

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

I really wanna play P3 but I'm just not digging the visual novel style of P3P. I feel like I'm missing a lot of gags and silliness by not having the 3D environments. On the other hand, I left my team members on AI for a while and I'm surprised at how consistently bad they are. (We could have ended this fight ages ago Yukari, stop one moring the same drat bird.)
If you really can't deal with AI control, assuming you're emulating codes exist to let you control them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It seems clear he's vacillating between which version to play, and gave so control a shot to see how it worked in practice before moving to fes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Also don't bother with ai in four they gutted the ai controls so it's become pretty much worthless.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

On one hand I believe all the Atlus ps2 games run on the same engine so It's a good trial run for them, on the other hand mainline persona hasn't been on a non sony console since the PC port of Persona 1, and it seems japanese companies value these kinds of handshake deals a bit more than most western ones. So I'd expect to see Digital Devil Story and maybe Raidou before Persona 3,4,5 on switch

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

P3 is perfectly playable. It's not even hard.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Any jack of all trades character kind of suffers in P4 because the MC is the ultimate utility character, granted they all suffer because the MC is really just way more useful than all of them. Naoto did still get a spot on my party last play through partially to play with underutilized characters and partially because she is good at dealing with mobs. Yosuke on the other hand has never been in my party because he's a dork who can stay back and dance with his trashcan.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Little column a a little column b. Reversing and breaking if you're a total dick is good, having to date every woman to get max rank is bad

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

Joker ends up a bum, having been unable to hold down a job for more than a few days following the death of his cat at age 5

He burnt himself out after Morgana died, he could never realize when it was time to rest

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

His stupid suction cup feet noise was godawful in vanilla.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a reason I said in vanilla p4. No costumes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Her damage was always there, but then Ryuji is also great damage, and he has Matarukaja. She can kinda compete with Yusuke damage wise, but he has Masukukaja and a generally better Trait.

I think her utility is a little more than most people weight it, just because it's generally harder I find to cover Psi Weakness, a lot more persona's seem to fit into the typical four elements than into the extra two added. Tetra and Makarakarn are also exceedingly useful if used in certain context's

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Diplomat, postmaster, printer, Founding Father, philosopher, lyricist, is there anything Benjamin Franklin can't do?

Keep his dick in his pants

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the P2 casts were the best personally, They seem be a little more evocative of the theatrical nature of the persona, and they all fit really well with their characters.

I'll also give a shout out to P1 Protags Ultimate Amon Ra, Cool as hell looking and it's like the only game he appears in.

Edit: P5 Spoilers I'll give a shout out to Loki too, Mostly hate the design but it looks very trickster god, plus incoporating Dazzle camoflouge into the design goes well with Goro's role in the plot

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 4, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

All the P1 Ultimates showed up as demons in previous SMT games I'm pretty sure.

Not my boy Yamaoka, It does look like Amon Ra was in Devil summoner so that's why I've never seen him. And some of them seem to have only appeared in the Sega CD port of SMT, which I didn't know existed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

Akechi with Robin Hood, an even more conscious mask.

I think you can make a case that Robin Hood is his own view of himself, He's just so twisted that he views himself, orphaned and neglected as the poor and the rest of well adjusted society as the rich whom he must rob of all their possessions

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

Another possibility I thought about : Akechi has the wild card. Is Robin Hood the persona he got from his social link with Joker?

It's an out-there interpretation that isn't really close to canon or anything, but especially in Royal, there is something sincere in his relationship with Joker. Akechi is defined by his lack of bonds with others, unlike Joker, but if he does have a bond with Joker, maybe that's what let him manifest Robin Hood.

My gut tell's me that Robinhood is in some ways his "True" persona and Loki is a messiah situation where it represent's him, but isn't actually him, I have zero evidence for this however

Cloacamazing! posted:

That would make Joker the Justice link for Akechi. Not sure if that fits.

I do think this fits well though If Goro is a sort of Reverse Justice even if he is associated with the law and order side of things, Joker can be the True Justice, bringing commupence to all evildoers even those normally shielded from such things

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Talking about Loki's insanity abilities, They really missed a chance to give him the ability to inflict an insanity effect on you're party members during the fight, something like Varin's hunger ability

Fun fact Varin is voiced by the father of Bryce Pappenbrook who did Theo, never knew that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Harem or bust, if I get to be the only one with multiple personas why not also the one with multiple wives.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Her name was Ohya cause people go "Oh yeah, she exists"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone was on their life journals and their myplaces all the time, ask morooka.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The nurse is kind of not great, Eiri is actually pretty good but I don't think a lot of people hang with her. The Tutored kid is just sad, but also boring, I'm glad I forgot to do it my first playthrough.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That was awful, that would've been more embarrassing then having nobody show up.

I think she was supposed to be teasing Yu, but sex was the interpretation Giant Bomb had, and that's much funnier

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I completely forget that, do tell. :allears:

Kid has nobody show up at his party, so MC calls the gang to hang out with him. It's supposed to be like uplifting but it feels so loving sad. Sorry your such a loser kid, don't worry I'll call a bunch of people you've never met and throw a pity party