Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

Welcome... to the Velvet Room.

Phew. The right description!

quote:

Persona 5 Royal is an expanded rerelease that features new places to visit, new activities, new characters, and an entirely new story arc that takes place after the end of the original game.

It's worth commenting that P5R also has a lot of quality of life improvements, including a much more interesting tactical combat system thanks to baton passes and an increased focus on technicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Squiggle posted:

Great OP; Persona 5 Royal is my first Persona game, and it is thick. But I'm loving it. Will I miss anything from P5R if I picked up P4G to play after?

The overworld you won't miss a thing, and the writing in P4G is at least as strong in P5. Moving via the Tokyo Tube Map is a lot more immersive than picking a region of your town and teleporting there IMO, but that's basically trivial. But just about everything in the Metaverse/the TV world is overwhelmingly better in P5R. Starting with the fact that every dungeon in the TV world is procedurally generated (using a different tileset), making it little more fun to explore than P5R's Mementos (which is admittedly overwhelmingly better than base P5's Mementos where all the floors used the same tileset). Oh, and there's no driving over shadows in the Monabus, which is inherently fun (and also P5R exclusive; the Ryuji autokill was reworked from something obnoxious and random in base P5 to something fun in P5R).

But it's the combat that was massively iterated on with P5R combat being far crisper and cleaner than P4G's, and P5R's being deeper and more interesting than P5's. Persona 5 first fixed the UI from a scrolling menu to one button mapped to each action. It then cut about two seconds off each spell by having the characters pull their animation and call "Persona" when you go into the spells menu rather than after you pick the spell. And that two seconds per attack adds up to a lot of irritation as your time is wasted by watching Chie spin-kick for the hundredth time. And then there were the mechanical changes. Persona 5 added both Technicals and Baton Passes/Sweeps, and P5R strongly iterated on them making them really meaningful for effectiveness. (The big problem with baton passes in base P5 is that you can't baton pass with a team mate unless you have Rank 2 with them - which of course the team newbie doesn't until after you've done their dungeon, and the shadows are in general vulnerable to the newbie's powers). Which means that P4G's tactics are mostly about saving your SP for the bosses and buff/debuff cycles. Oh, and Showtimes are a new thing for P5R, linking characters.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Just a reminder that the "must date the female companions to complete the s-link" was a thing in base Persona 5, otherwise they stopped at rank 9 and couldn't evolve their personas. And this applied to all the female ones including your homeroom teacher (does she count as a school contact who isn't in the party?). Just one of the many ways P5R is better than P5 base.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

That's not true at all. Vanilla Persona 5 had platonic routes for the female confidants just like Persona 4 does.

I maxed out all confidants in vanilla Persona 5 and believe me, I can't forget rejecting Haru no matter how hard I try.

Mea culpa. I'd even checked a confidant in a guide to see if I wasn't misremembering - but got confused by the end date scene.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I see they took the opportunity in P5R to fix the REAL thing that was missing from P5: a "haha this is a woman and she can't cook" character

The thing that's out of character for Atlus is that P5R actually does something at least vaguely interesting with that rather than simply makes it the entire punchline of multiple scenes.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Mechanically persona 5 is a lot tighter, especially Royal. I love baton pass and it makes certain generalist characters like Makoto so much better, and gives Yusuke a niche as somebody for the massive payoffs after chaining weaknesses, so you can really play with how all of that interacts. It's unfortunate that there's only one boss fight that really leans into that mechanic (and it's not really fun to boot); the game could have used a few more areas and bosses that allow crazy chains and combos like that.

I think you're talking about base Persona 5 there; there are three boss fights in P5R that lean in to the mechanic - Madarame does in his second phase with the collection of copies who are basically there to style off, Okumura's the hardest fight in the game and beating his bots easily is all about the baton passes, and the final boss has his protective tentacles that you want to get sweeps off to cast the really expensive support spells you should have by then.

In base Persona 5, of course, Madarame only has the painting phase and no weaknesses, you can't baton pass with Haru because she can't have reached rank 2 as a confidant (but can at least get baton passes in that fight), the bots mostly have one rather than two weaknesses (which leaves no one weak to Ryuji), and the final boss of Royal doesn't exist. So there is only one fight and it's a grindy one in P5. And how had I not noticed before now that Morgana being the single most useful character in that fight in the base game and one of the two in Royal ties in to their character arc?

Also from memory there are a lot more areas of mixed shadows that really encourage baton passes in P5R as compared to the base game, which even makes those different damage trinkets surprisingly useful.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Dpulex posted:

So we agree that persona 3 is the best one?

The arcana is the means by which tedium is revealed...

Seriously, there's a good case that can be made for the "real world" parts of Persona 3 and the themes being the best. The real world mechanics with reversed and broken social links have a very good case for being the best. But Tartarus is procedurally generated blandness with far more leaning on friendly AI than later games.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The active palace only gets party members to ask if you should be doing the Palace. If you're in the first month you'll be short of unlocked confidants; some work on your stats would be good if Ryuji isn't free. You want kindness up to 2 and guts as much as possible fast. Also rank the Hierophant up to rank 4 basically when you can and he gets you a lot to that kindness - and he stops ranking up at 4 until after bigger spoilers. Oh, and the way to rank up proficiency is by doing things not reading.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

Barring DLC personas and Myriad Truths, what's the most damaging team you can set up in P5R? Assuming the target is a boss and can't be affected by a lot of the technical-enabling status ailments.

For physical damage at least, my guess is Joker, Ryuji, Yusuke, and then a support of your choice, probably Makoto so she can Checkmate the target (though you could give anyone Debilitate and they'd be good in that slot too). Outside of Myriad Truths, is anything going to do as much damage as a Charged-up Hassou Tobi when Ryuji's trait triggers?

I'm fairly sure we're talking physical damage here assuming the boss has no resistances (or weaknesses). And you need action economy on the buffs/debuffs. The goal should be Joker able to spam Hassou Tobi while charged, while the party is permanently buffed and the enemies are permanently debuffed. And as many other charged up high power physical attacks as possible. My rule of thumb is that two actions from Joker are worth one from anyone else.

First you need to get your attack/defence/accuracy evasion buffs up. There are three ways of doing this plus one DLC (and Futaba giving it to you randomly after visiting the jazz club on Sundays):
  • Joker (at the start of the fight): You want all three Auto-Ma skills on one persona, and to set that persona as your default. (This can be done by skill cards or by the penultimate treasure persona). You then, for bonus marks want a trait; the traits that extends self-buffs will extend the auto-ma skills (so you're buffed for free for four or even five turns at the start) - or you want the trait that gives you a free charge/concentrate at the start of a fight. Create this persona, start fights with it, and never use it again during the fight. This starter persona is generally a very useful thing to have.
  • Joker (when the fight runs long): Attis (requires rank 10 Hanged Man) has the Vitality of the Tree trait which lets you cast spells you can normally only cast when surrounded. He also gets Thermopolae which is a full party buff.
  • Fox (maxed out) has, as his ultimate skill Hyakka Ryouran (for 90SP) which is a full party buff.
  • Joker (DLC) F Orpheus has Neo-Cadenza which not only is a party wide triple buff, it also heals. It's probably in practice more broken than Myriad Truths

Then you need to debuff. Again the goal is action economy. Which means your main choice is the Debilitate skill to debuff all three on your target.
  • Joker can get it a whole lot of ways. He can also get it on a persona with a trait to make it last five rather than three turns.
  • Crow has it naturally. Because Crow.
  • Queen (maxed out) instead has Checkmate which costs 90SP and debuffs the entire enemy team. There are few times this is worthwhile compared to debilitate as almost any groups you're fighting won't need debilitating.
  • The Jazz Club can provide anyone with the Debilitate skill if you take them there on December 11

Then you need Charge. And preferably not to waste Joker's time casting it because he has better things to do.
  • The Ring of Pride is an item that lets one party member charge others
  • Skull (maxed out) has Hyakka Ryouran to charge up everyone. At 80SP he'll want SP items.

Finally if you're feeling brave you can try to buff the party's crit rate.
  • Violet (maxed out) can buff the party's crit rate with Brave Step.
  • The Revolution skill buffs everyone's crit rate, allies and enemies. This is good for max damage and lolnope for max effectiveness against bosses.

The other question for sustain is who your healer is. Joker should have Maria for a ridiculous amount of recovery (40% hp and 22mp) as well as the best resurrection spell in the game - but anyone can wear a Salvation Crown or throw out items.

I think this means we're looking at Joker, Skull, and Violet as the three core members. And then it's between Fox, Crow, and Noir for the final spot.

If there are weaknesses involved then everything changes because you want to hit those weaknesses and we're almost certainly into magic damage. We're also playing with baton passes and sweeps.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yaldy didn't give Joker anything besides the App, right? Joker awakened to Arsene on his own.

Sure makes it seem more and more like a 'rigged game' where Akechi just had more cards in his deck from the start.

Yaldy at least implies that he gave Joker the Third Eye. It's also the rank 2 confidant ability - and not something the other protagonists have.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

My Joker simply didn't have time for a girlfriend until after Shido was defeated. He had however many Confidants to help, some stats to max, some jobs to do, a lot of money to earn, spiting every other student by coming first in the class rank, and the biggest politician in Japan to take down - how do you fit dates into all that? It was only after he'd done that he felt he could say yes to dating and, without the option to go back to someone and say "Actually I'd like to be more than friends" the only choices left were Ohya and Yoshizawa. And it wasn't going to be Ohya.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah, the year is never displayed in-game but assuming Persona 5 takes place in 2016, Ken is 17 when Persona 5 starts. He'd be a third year like Makoto and Haru probably.

The other question is how old is Nanako. Because I think she's about the right age too.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It was the characters and the writing. Seriously, this game has the best characterizations and writing I've ever seen in a video game since....Mass Effect 2, Witcher 3? And I think it even tops those games.

Every character felt like a real person to me, and I wanted to get to know all of them more, even after the credits. There were times I would force myself to turn off the game because I was getting too into it, and had to tend to my own reality (a major theme in the game itself!).

The Persona games make explicit one thing I think more games should do - having a structure for your NPCs. I don't think that the best Persona NPCs are better than in any other game - but even Ohya would be decent in almost any other RPG. First Persona gives each NPC a minimum of ten conversations (one for each rank) and a character arc. This on its own would be enough to give each NPC a B+ rating in any game. But the second thing Persona does is, by mapping each PC to an arcana on the fool's journey (any personality typing system would work), makes them all meaningfully different with a different psychology. This wouldn't just be good for a computer game - it would for a TV series.

Where it struggles is in a few places. First, particularly in P5, there are too few cross-links in the Phantom Thieves (and the P5 Showtimes are the big flashy things rather than the small flourishes that make all the difference). Second it's notable in P5(R) that they all text like Makoto. I'd expect Futaba's texting to be absolutely full of emojis, Ryuji to not use capital letters or punctuation, etc. And the translation was awkward to bad in many places; P5R improved some of the worst bits, but it still doesn't flow and doesn't get many of the nuances right ("Lady Ann" could have been done better for one). Still "it has bad translation" is far above most games.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

I didn't really realize until I played P4G but P5 feels like it was written by ticking checkboxes in a "opposite of P4" list.

I didn't find this a bad thing; I find Inaba a conservative and slightly homophobic small town and one in which the moral of every single one of the character arcs is "You should be who society wants you to be".

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

One more thing I really like about the P4 anime is how each new persona Yu gets is tied to a new bond he forms--like each arcana is tied to one persona, most of the time. This leads to some cool fight scenes where he rapidly switches personas and it leans on the idea that he's leaning on all of the important bonds he's formed to get through. It's neat.

This is something that they started to do mechanically in P5R in part with Persona traits on this and I hope that P6 expands on this. For me the four that really stand out are Attis (Hanged Man), Maria (Faith), Vohu Mannah (Councillor), and Futsunushi (Magician)

Attis, the Hanged Man ultimate is of course a bonus from maxing out Iwai. The key thing about Attis in P5R is that the persona trait allows the ability to use ambush-only skills under normal conditions. There's only one ambush-only skill worth talking about, but it's amazing. Thermopylae is essentially a full triple buff (or heat riser) for the entire party for the same cost as Heat Riser. This means that just as you go to Iwai to kit out your party you go to the Iwai persona once you have it to buff the party.

Maria, the Faith ultimate is the persona you get for maxing out Yoshizawa use when your back is to the wall, thanks to a ridiculous collection of unique skills. 40% hp and 22SP recovery at the start of your turn, a unique party wide Samarecam, and Salvation on the skill list. There's only one time I can think of in the game when your back is to the wall and you're rescued by a single person other than as an Awakening - in the intro.

Vohu Mannah, the Councillor ultimate is the persona you get for maxing out Maruki. And, when fused from a Hope Diamond, thanks to its trait it's the persona I use to start all my fights and change away from in turn 1. In other words it's a tempting choice but one that I reject in each fight. The trait extends all self-buffs by two turns - and the Hope Diamond allows me to give it all three Auto-Ma skills so the entire party gets Heat Riser for the first five turns - more than enough for any non-boss fight. It also has Invigorate 3, and Hope Diamond has Invigorate 2 for a 12SP recovery at the start of the fight. And of course it has Salvation.. And when you itemise the ultimate of the councillor persona it gives a gun to the person in dire need of counselling Akechi

Futsunushi, the Magician ultimate is the persona you can get for maxing out Morgana, your first teacher about the Metaverse. And it is the other great choice for a starter persona (when fused from a Hope Diamond) because its trait gives you a free charge/concentrate on the first turn. It's also a persona you immediately fuse because it's required for Yoshitsune with the best physical skill in the game - and Yoshitsune should inherit its trait so the Morgana persona leads to another core party member.

Others don't work so well at all - could someone explain to me why Ryuji's ultimate Persona is Psi-primary?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

“Hey me and this incredibly handsome young detective have a rivalry loaded with hidden double meanings and potentially-sexual tension, can we kiss?”

To be fair part of this is a clash between Royal and base P5. In base P5 the handsome young detective has basically no relationship with the characters until he blackmails his way into the party to kill Joker. There isn't a relationship there.

In P5R there's a real confidant link with genuine conversations rather than something that ranks up automatically. There's an incredible amount of sexual tension especially when the detective throws a glove at Joker and declares them to be enemies but actually kissing would derail the plot. You can't have a Persona romance with someone who's dead or out of the picture by Valentine's day but I think that the canon bad ending Maruki's Reality does have this romance.

That said that in no way excuses every female confidant being romanceable including the homeroom teacher, and none of the male ones. Just that this link is interesting and nuanced and it's the wrong circumstances.

And yes, I find the slapstick in P4 and P5 don't fit the tone of the rest of the games. Is there any equivalent in any of the versions of P3?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

OOookay, I am still trying to get through P5R so I can swing at P5S, and I do genuinely like the game! But I just got past where I dropped off in the original, up to the beginning of the fifth(I think? It started in September, for Okumura ) and...the leadup to this palace is sort of a mess? I mean, I like the Morgana Leaves subplot on paper, but come on, couldn't we have trimmed that down, and that drat Hawaii trip for that matter, in order to give some a little more screentime to this new character who is basically being married off against her will into an abusive relationship? It feels like the seems of P5's (supposedly) messy production is showing here.

EDIT: Maybe I am missing something, but it just feels like there is a lack of cohesion.

Honestly you're at the weakest part of the game right now. It's the weakest dungeon (although significantly improved from the original P5 version) and the party member they do the least with. And who in base P5 came out of nowhere; at least you've seen her around Shujin a few times in P5R. Fortunately the next one is arguably the best in the game.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

P5's got one bad scene (I don't know if P5R's changes were localization or in the original so idk if I should give that credit)

Does it matter? P5R in the English Language version removes the scene. And adds an incredible amount of sexual tension with one of the confidants.

quote:

P5 even has the bar owner who was sympathetically portrayed enough compared to the two gay guys in Shinjuku I wonder if it was a mistake. Not great, but definitely not as bad as P4.

And said bar owner even got some voiced lines in P5R. I just don't understand P5 being considered worse than P4 this way. And P5R is significantly better.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

hughesta posted:

the Royal version of that boss is significantly worse than the original P5 version of the fight. I have no idea what they were thinking. I was stuck on it for ages too, even though I blew through the rest of the game with no difficulty on hard mode

The Royal version of the boss is significantly harder because it's about the only place where they increased the difficulty of the game over base P5 to account for the better baton pass mechanics. You really want to be scoring sweeps on every round - and feel free to drop this battle to easy as it's the hardest fight in the game.

You want your team to have both Morgana and Haru in it and then either Makoto or Ryuji. Items for fire, psychic, and either electrical or nuke base attacks on these three so they each cover two elements are also great - this should allow you to sweep (a full team baton pass) against every enemy type every round assuming Joker has some varied personas.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Do you not craft elemental/forces sets in p5r, or did I just miss seeing them? At Okumura's and I could've sworn I should be able to by now.

From memory you need Morgana at rank 6 - which is at the end of July

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I really wish Ohya could do rumors to change Mementos like P2 or something.

The other thing I wish she had was taking a mechanical effect off Chihaya (who, let's face it, is seriously OP) - instead of an Affinity Reading Ohya writes a public interest story about something that interests your confidant in question. Who then mentions it to you next time you meet up.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah, Morgana's really fragile. That never really changes. I don't tend to use him much except for "it seems like it would be cool for story reasons to have Morgana in this fight" once the other healer joins.

There are two end bosses where Morgana is a go-to. The sphinx uses a lot of wind attacks but isn't wind resistant so Morgana good, Ryuji bad. And one of the spaceport waves is only weak to wind so you want both Morgana and Haru in that battle (and Makoto or Ryuji to complete the team).

On the other hand for exploring I tend to use Morgana spamming dia and media after fights rather than normal auto-recoveries. I'm not putting him in the battle line but healing sp are useful.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

There is some value in using him against treasure demons to try and get a lucky crit.

Base P5 only. The treasure demons in Royal all have weaknesses. In Royal the first one's the hardest because even Joker doesn't have the right type of attack by L10.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

It's not that Morgana is a bad party member at all, he's just overshadowed a bit by Makoto, who does more damage, naturally learns a buff spell, and has an element that's a pretty common weakness in several Palaces after she joins. That said, Morgana is the stronger healer and Miracle Punch can be really helpful in situations where an enemy doesn't have a weakness and you don't want to/can't set up a technical.

And don't forget wind technicals with fire - but nuke technicals with fire, elec, and ice although fire is cheaper of course. Also Makoto has AoE physical attacks, which can be really useful and brings her much more into the game against enemies resistant to nuke. Recarm isn't that useful (if you need a recarm, which isn't often, Revivadrin are only 1800 Yen and Life Ointment 6400 Yen from the clinic before the discount - a bargain for saving a skill slot and allowing anyone to use them given how rarely you actually need them) and I rate Energy Shower over Me Patra. Which means Morgana's only real healing advantage is that he gets Salvation over an Atomic Flare equivalent.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Royal exacerbates this because after you finally get to hang out with your friends during your free time they each approach you, one after the other, on consecutive days, and basically prostrate themselves in front of you for the very understandable offense of buying into this manipulation to give them everything Maruki thought they wanted. (Edit: I wish so bad that instead of apologizing for wanting to spend time with her sister and her dead dad, Makoto had been like “motherfucker I slept in your bed in Christmas Eve and you went on what Kasumi clearly thought was a date on New Years Day and I caught you red handed what is wrong with you”) And you can sit there like an rear end in a top hat and say “yeah well don’t do it again” or you can be empathetic but what you can’t do is commiserate because you’re mister special and immediately saw through it with your psychopath rival. I want to know what sort of impact these people have on Joker as a person beyond hidden abilities and “The Power of Teamwork”. I want to see what Joker’s actual perfect life would be beyond “not under imminent threat of arrest”. I would have loved to see Akechi’s too, and I’m early enough that it’s still possible that there could be some heartbreaking scene of Akechi not driven insane by his upbringing.

One of the things about this is Joker didn't break free of the illusion on his own merits. Instead Lavenza (at least I'm pretty sure that butterfly wasn't Philemon) lead him out in the school dream sequence - the way he was special was by having someone else help him. And then he spent time depressed and barely able to get out of bed. Also and speculating on the final month that wasn't the real Akechi; it was the Akechi from Joker's better life. Unhinged, a friendly rival, and whose bark was much much worse than his bite.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

Also the points you get for selling sooty clothes at the secondhand clothes shop can be used to get really useful consumables like items that cast Debilitate.

And even if you don't then four old clothes to the standards of the current palace are better than five washed pieces of sooty laundry from the previous one. Also money shouldn't be an issue other than for heavy fusions after about the third palace thanks to how easy it is to get in Mementos with the instakills. (The first, definitely. The second yes - mostly thanks to that lump of rocksalt)

quote:

It's worth doing a small amount of laundry towards the end because it's how you get Morgana's best armor

This assumes that you ever put Morgana in the fight that late in the first place.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I just unlocked Death Rank 5, and can buy some SP patches (expensive!!) What’s the best way to get enough to outfit my squad with those ASAP?

Assuming you're playing Royal only Joker really wants one (and they are half price at Death 7) with maybe a second in your back pocket to farm up. The best way to sustain SP when delving is through baton passes after levelling your friends baton pass ranks up at Penguin Sniper playing darts and handing out low power elemental damage accessories to enable sweeps - and for boss fights you want the bigger items such as the ones from Will Seeds and to occasionally eat the bigger SP items.

The best way to gain money is a Mementos run of course. Preferably once you've reached Chariot 7 and can just drive over the weaker shadows (in base P5 you can't do this and may want to leave Ryuji at rank 6).

Re: Will Seeds as long as you got at least one of the set, Jose sells spares for 400 flowers each so you can get the full accessory with a bit of grinding

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I feel like even Joker doesn't need SP patches as much due to ___ Bloodline and then the Cocytus-tier cost reductions meaning a couple of coffees and you can basically go forever.

Depends how far through the game you are and how much piecing together specific personas you've done for Joker. I find the SP reducing bloodlines kick in late - and an Invigorate 3 skill card on my starter persona (the one rocking three Auto-Mas) means I can give up entirely on the SP adhesive - but I want it for about four palaces.

quote:

Plus if you run around Mementos a bit you can grab Soul Food or Soma from Jose.

Or even the party SP recovery items for safe spaces.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I'm pretty sure the bloodline skills come up as early as like, Madarame's and stack with Ann's trait.

But that point is so early you wouldn't have SP Adhesives except on NG+ anyways.

If you're pushing (and I don't mean specifically routing) you can definitely get at least one SP adhesive by the end of Madarame's. I remember in my second non-NG+ playthrough being low on cash after that palace because I'd spent a lot of money on SP adhesives and an overpriced lump of rock salt to open up the money sink confidant. (My NG+ playthrough on the other hand had a ludicrous amount of money and I gave up out of boredom).

And the bloodline skills come up in Madarame's - but they're only for one skill per persona and that early you don't have many personas - and the combat personas should be using multiple elements at that point IME (rather than having boost and amp skills and the like, plus resistances, and multiple skills in the same element; the AoEs only come in near the end of Madarame's) so they're nowhere near as reliable or even as useful.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I didn't even realise "Akechi is the traitor" was meant to be a twist. I mean the whole thing is pretty obviously a heist. The moment I found to be the twist was when Akechi shoots Joker in the head. And working out where that went.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 16, 2021

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I've got a friend really struggling with the Okumura fight in Royal, and this is his first Persona game. Any advice? I know they made it harder than in the original.

The boss fight in question is all about baton passes and sweeps. [spoiler]All the bots are vulnerable to either Psy, Wind, or electric and nuclear. So you need Haru, Morgana, and either Ryuji or Makoto - and Joker needs personas with those elements. You also want Dekaja and Dekunda in your party due to buffs/debuffs. And if you can you want accessories for the low level attack spells because they'll enable full sweeps rather than just two three person baton passes every round. Use single target elemental damage to build up the baton passes and get extra attacks in until everyone's down and then go full power. Also guard at the right times - and blast out the self destruct bots first.[/spoiler[

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

anakha posted:

Yep, no active spells. this guy exists literally to start battles, basically cast the equivalent of Brave Step and a 5-turn Heat Riser on the whole party, then gently caress off until the next battle.

I thought building something like that was normal? There's even a treasure demon to encourage it. Also there's an option in the menu so that your starting Persona remains your active one regardless of who you ended the fight as rather than your active remaining the fight ender.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also are these phone convos after confidants new?
Yes

quote:

lol that this is still a thing

I think it's meant to be a front - and Sojiro being a throwback.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

anakha posted:

The BGM for the P5R bonus palace is so loving good. Hits you right in the feels.

E: It's still early January for me in the game timeline, but there's something that's been bugging me about the premise for the Royal storyline: If Maruki wanted to put Joker in a setting where he would be perfectly content and happy, why wasn't the latter removed completely from Tokyo and placed back with his folks with the Shido encounter never happening? All the other Thieves had their lives basically retconned except for him.

We don't know what Joker's ideal reality was, but I think with his friends and possibly with Sojiro as his actual dad. Lavenza (the butterfly) lead him out of the school before we really had time to explore it.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

You guys didn't absolutely lose your poo poo at the twentieth "What if a woman cooked, but it was BAD!?" scene? gently caress man I totally lost it, I ain't seen poo poo that funny since that science feller turned himself into a pickle.

The only good version of that scene in the entire series was the P5R bento box, and that because it had an actual payoff.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Merciless rules, and traits are something that I hope stays in the series permanently, even going into SMT5. I like Devil Survivor because the difficulty really incentivizes you to do long chain-fusions to get good resistances on your party members because without it you can get totally wiped. This is similar, but instead of getting wiped, adding another step into your fusion chain to get a really strong trait makes you totally pop off

Merciless basically forces you to play well which in many ways makes it easier than hard other than for boss fights and the chance of Joker dying to a random crit. (I lost twice to the same couple of Jack-o-Lanterns and haven't died since in my merciless playthrough). The other thing I hope they keep as a permanent thing from Royal are Baton Passes (which I know are in the base game - but your newest party member won't be rank 2). And for that matter disaster shadows to mix things up occasionally.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I just wish the stamp spawns werent rng so you might spend an hour going up and down trying to get the last one.
It's weird that Ohya didn't get jose's thing through rumors or something.

I'd have remixed Ohya with the Fortune confidant. Instead of magically making the adult confidants like you more you get stories written about things they like. And it's not as if Fortune isn't an OP confidant.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Looks like I got a bunch of DLC personas after claiming the free stuff on PSN, are these going to break the game

It depends how you use them. If you take the high level ones out of your compendium when you're still low level because they cost 0 Yen then yes they will break the game. If you set the limit that you must fuse your DLC personas or level into them and can't just summon the level 81 Messiah at level 4 (or whatever) then Orpheus F, Kaguya, Magatsu-Izanagi, Raoul, and Izanagi-no-Okami (plus Picaro versions) are all definitely S tier - but there are other S tier personas in the game that you can either capture or fuse. And you need to put a lot of work to keep just about any personas useful for more than two palaces.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

I'm still not 100% on why 'EGS exclusive' is such a terrible curse. People complain about it, I can't help but hear the "Steam exclusive" complaints from a decade ago.

Because particularly when it started companies would put the games they were confident in out on Steam and make their bad games Epic Store exclusives so they'd get Epic moneys to make up for lower expectated sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

Maybe I'm just more alright than most people with Valve not having a monopoly on digital distribution of PC games.

Of the last four games I bought one was EA Origin (although that's about my fifth game ever there, two were GOG,and one was Steam. Not counting the games Epic gives away or the Game pass I cancelled.

Does the Epic Store have a mod manager yet?