Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

maya is, good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

iirc jp (and eng) tatsuya sound pretty deep voiced and so does jp jun, so i guess this is just a persona tradition :v:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Catsplosion posted:

Fair enough though I think that even that post has a negative dismissive tone to it and is virtue signalling because what me and you were talking about is directly relevant to how Japanese perceive the issues we were talking about. To completely dismiss what the Japanese currently think and the shift happening is in my mind both racist and interjects a western superiority into the conversation that I don't like.

Before that I thought we were starting quite an interesting discussion on how these stories are told and the influences and traditional and modern day perceptions they have to deal with to tell those stories. Also discussing the pros and cons of subtle versus explicit story telling.

do... do you think that people talking about bigotry in a game series (from a very Old Boys staff) is inherently racist towards the japanese and "virtue signaling" from the west? because, those are kind of messed up things to say; especially b/c japan isn't a monolith all jacked up to hashino's brain or w/e :yikes:

also more on topic: uhhhh heaven from p4 is a nice song, and theres a load of cool songs from p1 and 2 also imo!! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfZ6tMGgXrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhkd2PRaVxw

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

persona 6: the return of philemon, whos deciding to try out this fusion business

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im saint germain posted:

I imagine he'd be as out of touch with the accuracy of the "times" as vampires are sometimes depicted, i.e., mashing together all the centuries.

"How do you do, mortal kids? May I bestow upon you your complimentary welcome basket, including a Decarabia fidget spinner, a Jack Frost snuff box, and Mara codpieces! Enjoy."

:yeshaha:

i want philemon to show up with like, shades and a backwards baseball cap and a skateboard and those cool spinners!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

afaik yukino was already pretty chilled out in persona 1 as a ex-delinquent whos kind and supportive but also tough (the empress), which carries over to 2 :)

there were some tower personas in the first 2 games also, but i can't recall which party members had a higher affinity with em...

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Item Getter posted:

I'm aware that personality wise she was pretty much reformed in P1, though I just meant that visually speaking her P1 version looks like a Japanese delinquent schoolgirl stereotype and she throws razors as a weapon, which gets dropped in her P2 incarnation for a more normal look.

ah oops, i thought it was about personality :doh:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

cuss high's pretty good! i feel like the fan tl also used "k'rear end high" tho iirc the official tls better than the fan one?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

aren't they just a loc person anyways? i dunno how that equals dramahound unless u think that like, making threads about localization processes or w/e equals drama

anyways wheres the switch ports!! atlus!!!!!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well they spent the past week calling anyone who didn't like a real lovely transphobic translation of a manga series gamer gaters and chuds and stuff so that seems pretty dramahoundy to me! They're a known shitstirrer. Just because dumbass comicsgate freaks also don't like them doesn't make them good or not that.

what if i think that translation thing (assuming we're thinking of the same thing and ur descrip about those tweets isn't exaggerated) and comicsgate freaks suck rear end but also that its lame af to vaguepost about them on a completely unrelated series about like, button labels on a port

and i agree p2 is win and it sucks they're still stuck on the psp

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im gonna give one final thought on the tweeter person thing before deciding to talk about smth else and thats: comicsgate (or related) freaks should be kicked into the sun or alternatively mercilessly trolled On Line for 9 years straight imo (tho also if there Are any actual line changes slim as it might be, it'll prob just be like smt3 hd or p5 royal or w/e where some stuff gets tweaked)

Neeksy posted:

2 has the protag and the antag exchanging expensive trinkets in front of a bridal shop when they're kids, and one of the canon choices is dating him, we haven't reached that height ever since.

that part is win, tatsuya is bi af in 2 and it rules
do u all think p6 will shake up the status quo of modern persona in any way what with the director change?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i will never not lol at Vagina Bones, its up there with Dimitri Kills Women. or the open palm slam or navy seals copypastas

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Serf posted:

Now I just wish they'd put Persona 1 and 2 on modern hardware with some fixes and better localization.

p1 and p2is had fancy (then) modern localizations, rip to ep tho unless they actually tl the psp ver...

i think for p1 they could just do the p2 psp port thing with the music toggle, they could even make it a selling point like 2

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Neeksy posted:

The PSP version of P1 honestly just sucks all of the atmosphere and presentation out of the whole thing, failing particularly bad with the music aspect.
Instead of fixing things that would help gameplay like eliminating the P-level system, battle grid, etc. they spent money on a few CG cutscenes that weren't remaking old CG cutscenes, but randomly replacing written scenes that were just shown normally in-game anyway, and cutting out the sound effects and 3/4ths the music tracks. Those new cutscenes didn't even have voice acting in the JP version, either. That was just something the US side thought to do.

tbh i feel like atlus usually sticks p close to the og stuff when remaking which is probably why there were like, no gameplay changes in p1

i guess they thought making p1 more Modern in sound design would help?? i for one like the cg cutscenes tho they look nice

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Item Getter posted:

I for one love stiff wobbly legged bad Poser animation-looking Philemon from original P1 with his booming 1940s radio announcer voice

e: but in seriousness the cutscene I do think was a big loss to remove from PSP P1 was the original pre-title intro, the CGI is dated but the original P1 and P2:IS intros had a very cool slow and eerie atmosphere which was replaced with generic fast paced J-pop anime music videos in the re-releases.

idk about p1s og op but p2s ops were watchable in game, iirc u just waited a bit on the title screen? im glad they weren't cut completely, they're pretty cool

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oh hey it seems like theres now a newer (wip) patch of restoring p1s psx ost on the psp? https://gamebanana.com/wips/68611

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ep psp has QoL and little extra doo dads added, and the tatsuya story is p much filling u in on what he was doing (im like 75% sure its 'canon')

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

this is only tangentially related, but this is from the editor of the other epp patch that was being worked on (later in its stated apparently no work was stolen at least, thank goodness, but it seems like the person who just released their own patch cut and run from this one??)

https://twitter.com/cj_iwakura/status/1552073915060654081

and yea afaik the goal of the epp patches is to just standardize p1 char names and spell names while using the og ps1 tl as a base, with fresh new tling for the new stuff

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gaius Marius posted:

Iwakura should've worked faster.

ehhh, imo u can't really rush these things u know? tling and editing and hacking games seems p tough, so.

i dunno much about tler etiquette or anything but ghosting a group to cut and run and do your own patch feels a bit shady, tho honestly as long as nothings stolen then i guess thats all it is and, kinda rude, possible fallout drama aside??

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gaius Marius posted:

If someone can leave your group and then finish the whole project before your group while stealing nothing, then you don't get to complain on the internet.

man i dunno that seems incredibly bad faith to me considering how the statement just broke an hour ago and fan tls tend to take a while in like, general

idc who released theirs first just as long as its good honest work and nothings stolen, having 2 patches would be p cool overall

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

huge persona 1 fan excited to play it for first time

but real talk a remake of p1 and 2 would be p win; tho i feel like atlus tends to be pretty conservative with their remakes (i guess remasters is more fitting?)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

yea afaik modern persona locs (including ISP, which even had a little guide in the manual explaining a few) keep the honorifics

im not sure if ISP kept 'onee sama' tho, i'd have to check

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

they're not actually sisters tho (unless u meant that and i misread)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

update on the epp patch group stuff, seems like everything's ended well :)

the programmer for the new patch made a big post (on reddit) basically decrying the harassment people have been tossing at the iwakura team, explaining their history with the first group and saying it was a dick move of them to ghost the first team, saying they're gonna add a special thanks to the first team in the read me (they originally didn't want to mention them to avoid the iwakura team getting hassled which, Welp), and that they're gonna upload their patch tools online for people to use too since there's that whole discussion about honorifics.
plus iwakura responded to say thank you and is also considering passing over their teams tools and tl work to the new patch group as well!

reddits format is kinda weird and i couldn't figure out how to have both the op and iwakura's reply show up but if you click the triple lined box next to "submitted by eiowita" then it pops out the post??

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

anyways im p neutral on the whole honorific discussion, but the onee sama bit is making me think of gunbuster

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

hmmm... i played p2isp with like 99% og soundtrack but im wondering if i should play epp with the remixed tracks..... i know u can switch em up in game but, they both seem cool

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

what the..... i was chillin and reading some p2 stuff and apparently IS is Maybe, Vaguely supposed to take place from oct/nov 98 to aug 99???

thats, dumb imo the pacing doesn't support it taking place over that long its like 2 months in summer 99 ending in aug, tops

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i think that theres def a lot of stuff where the solution is "hey the status quo is Poggles" but, i think that counter read of "sometimes its good to change the status quo" kind of falls apart when its applied to more fantastical spiritualish stuff, like death or instrumentality

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ImpAtom posted:

But past a certain point the core problem of any game like this is that you're left trying to argue for status quo + better because video game writers are certainly not going to be the ones who figure out some way to show the complete destruction of capitalism and its replacement by something better in any plausible way. Like Devil Survivor has a "everyone gets along super communism yay" ending but it's absolutely barebones and involved rewriting all of humanity.

ronaldos a dummy and kind of a jerk iirc but if u can stomach mass brainwashing then i guess his ends, p good

u could really apply this to most of smt too but then that still kind of ties back into the "status quo is pog/status quo is fail actually" reads falling apart once its on a more fantastical scale

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Funky Valentine posted:

It's literally a bunch of weird old dudes trying to turn themselves into gods at the expense of literally all other forms of life. And also Gendo trying to bang his wife one last time at the expense of all other forms of life.

Yes that is indeed changing the status quo but it's not actually better.

it also mushes everyones souls into one too afaik?? which sounds like it'd be nice... for all of 2 seconds

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

NikkolasKing posted:

Something I found notable about DeSu 2 is that it isn't really brainwashing. Look at Strange Journey - that is absolutely brainwashing because the world is continuing on normally unless you help the Wise Men or Mem Aleph and subjugate everyone. In DeSu 2, it's a pretty big, explicit plot point that everyone in the world is dead by the ending except you and the dozen other survivors. So you aren't brainwashing the human race as the human race no longer exists. You're more recreating them with an increased or decreased sense of empathy.

I thought it was a notable difference, anyway.

i would say thats still, kind of brainwashyish, like 7/10

like ur still forcing random (soon to be revived) people to think in whatever way u want even if its just tweaking the empathy values here and there

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Not even on release, there was some stirrup a few days back on Twitter going back to Persona 4 discourse, the usual "The game's not homo/transphobic! It's the people who headcanon characters that way who are just like the game villains!" and all that.

i do think that some of the bigger tweets did, kinda misread a few arcs in persona 4 despite having overall solid main theses but also i saw someone yelling about how "they had to Defend Atlus from the misinformation that persona 4 is homophobic on twitter!!!" thats been lodged into my brain and, lmao

persona 4 and 5 both have similar writing issues but afaik 5 takes wayyyy more heat for it, personally hoping 6 is Good and not Bad

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

there Was a pretty big tweet thread recently about p4 (which afaik was kicked off by snapcube going "man this part kinda stinks" at the bathhouse dungeon a while back) that imo had a super solid main start with how the overall writing of persona 4 is pretty conservative and has wayyy too many "full circle character arcs" but started making a handful of mistakes and then dragged on for like 35 tweets too long while the op started kind of Losing It partway through; then they ended it by yelling about how they played more megaten and persona than everyone else did and bragging about how they had a english degree and ???? :confused:

Blue Labrador posted:

Yeah, I'm not gonna defend Persona 4 from its general homophobia and sexism, but that 50 tweet thread was too incorrect on too many things for me.

It's probably up to personal taste, but I think the reason why I find Persona 5's writing more damning (besides it no longer being 2008) is that the juxtaposition between the relatively well-done Kamoshida arc and the immediate sexualization of Ann once she's in your party is like, legitimately offputting, and that kind of sours the rest of it for me.

Also yeah, totally agree that Yosuke's rampant homophobia is ridiculous and sucks rear end, but I heard there's a mod that restores his homosexuality and thank god for that.

i forgot where i first read it (probably on these forums), but it's been noted wrt p5 that despite the chars all ostensibly being about outcasts in society they're a part of like 0 actual minority groups in japan (besides ann, and then they just do the "sexy" stuff with her later), and u could probably extend that to persona 4 too and how everyone being their "true selfs" is a major part of the writing or smth

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Motto posted:

gigantic tweet threads are bad as usual but people blowing up over some streamer not liking P4 was ridiculous. their read on kanji was probably off but their sentiment was ultimately just that they weren't feeling the game and were prob gonna drop it

yeah that part sucked rear end (the Big rear end tweet thread im thinking of was by a diff person and in response? to the yter stuff); iirc the yter even said that they were enjoying the game but kinda Eh on that one part and then so many Well Acksuallys jumped down their throat about it that they went "yeah nah im dropping the game"

uh, basically nusona writing is just this tweet, to me https://twitter.com/corviiid/status/1506256426791948294

while there is definitely still some homophobia, iirc the only Big Instance of it is the gross gay duo in 5 that show up a few times that the loc of 5R (which is gonna be on pc?) rewrote slightly
its still not like, great or anything but its a minor improvement over 4s treatment

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Neeksy posted:

...the guys that prey upon a teenage boy who doesn't show interest is an improvement?

its about as much improvement as when u put your pointer finger and thumb together and do this gesture with them 🤏, yeah 😔

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Arist posted:

I get that Raidou has a cool design, but yeah, that era of school uniform is kind of inextricably tied to Japanese colonialism and would cause headaches for the company in certain foreign markets. It's the reason we're probably never getting a Raidou game again.

e: it's also why the Nocturne rerelease made Raidou DLC

i feel like for atlus its just :effort: to do the smt3 hd thing with raidou (like dante) as dlc in china and south korea with a special non-maniax version that does that, vs just making a version that completely cuts it universally

also i don't think it helps that, that p5r dlc gives another char an imperial japan uniform a guy from raidou 1 wore too 😔

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im trying to think of any gay rpgs and im blanking... im sure theres a lot of small indie ones at least, esp non tled ones??

also imo kanji and naotos stuff wrt gender roles and what it means to be a dude/lady is like, Fine in a vacuum but then theres 50 billion pointless stupid poo poo around them like the 300 haha u might be Gayyyyy jokes or haha big boob/Operation that drags it down and makes the arcs vaguely uncomfortable to just plain stupid :wtc:; yosuke being a poo poo for the sake of bad jokes doesn't help and neither does the director for 3-5 being an insane conservative

ImpAtom posted:

I think the issue is that it is trying to be progressive. The characters have issues which boil down to the lovely views society or people have and try to force onto people, and it is okay to be a girl and like 'manly' things and vice-versa, but at the end of the day it is still almost exclusively tailored to people who want to fit into society instead of being comfortable outside of it

yea that makes a lot of sense, it could also be the source of the common complaint about "full circle character arcs"

anyways uhhhh i feel like 5 is at least an improvement on that, a bit??? like makoto has a character arc about deciding her life, futaba learns to go outside more and stop being so self hating, uhhh yusuke painted better?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

date none of the women

your only true love is justice (the concept)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

iirc in general cut stuff is still kept in the files of games for like, stability or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im not a game dev tho idr where i heard that so take that with like a tablespoon of salt???