Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Maruki is my favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Maxing the s links without a guide is totally doable without a guide in 4 and 5. 3, uh, good luck.

Just chill out and have fun, these games are good times.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Spiffster posted:

I did it in 3 but hoooo boy did I cut it close. I was convinced I was gonna miss it. Compared to Royal when I messed up and didn’t max out temperance before a certain point and was locked out of advancing them for a bit due to story and school related stuff. Thought that was gonna Kill my max run but I ended up spending the last months just killing time at the shrine and club.

Props to you. I hosed up even with a guide but I was happy to at least max Star and get my fave demon Helel.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Which is superior: Mass Destruction or Wiping All Out?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

As questionable as the translation is for P5, the dub is fantastic and the cast work really hard to make it work. Special shout out to Max Mittelman as Ryuji, just a perfect performance. (Speaking of FF7R, he plays Red XIII and similarly nails it.)

That’s what can make the whole experience downright surreal, like with a proven actor like D.C. Douglas reading lines like “I’ll continue to do my best to answer your expectations of me.”

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Oh, and be careful because the button you use to open the skills menu in combat in P5 is the one that initiates auto-battle in P4 and no that didn't get me killed when I started P4G again why would you ask :v:

Being able to access every battle option in Persona 5 with a single button press is really slick and I miss it when I play any other JRPG.

Golden’s really good though and it shouldn’t be hard to go back. Hell I want to when I’m done with my Royal NG+. I believe it was the debut of manual skill inheritance so it dodges the biggest hurdle of playing old games.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ytlaya posted:

It's kind of nuts how there was such a small gap between the release of P3 and P4, given the "literally almost a decade" one between P4 and P5. P6 probably won't come out until like 2025 or something.

I hope they keep the Traits system Royal introduced. The Thermopylae redemption arc.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Anyone who assists in the Hassou Tobi massacre is a friend of mine.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Sojiro's not even that, I don't think. He's functionally Joker's probation officer and I think the deal is that he heard about Joker's situation from some of his customers who are family friends of Joker's parents and decided to take his case because he was sympathetic.

The subtext I always got from Sojiro is that his initial coldness to Joker is as much a defense mechanism for Sojiro as anything. He even lies and tells you he's been paid to take you in--if you check the TV on a certain night for the quiz show, you find out that what Sojiro is doing for Joker is an unpaid volunteer position.

Sojirowns

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's entirely down to Sakurai being an absolute addict who maxes every S-link on his first playthrough as soon as the game comes out.

The elite way to play tbh

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

We never got that huge Ultimax patch on console and I’m still inconsolably irate to this day about that.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I'm not all that well-versed in fighting games. How would a potential P5A handle a small character like Morgana? It seems like his hitbox would be unworkably small so he'd need to always have Zorro out or something.

Yoda in Soulcalibur IV was immune to high attacks and throws and he was still bottom of the barrel trash because his range was so tragic.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

WrightOfWay posted:

The best daily life song is Sun from P3P.

I can only remember the first 15 seconds of this song.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Yeah it absolutely rules. He's such a fun character to watch when he's actually being himself--not the fake detective prince, not the "drive himself psychotic with Loki" slasher mode, but Akechi as he really is. Joker gets to have some fun reactions to him, especially in response to Yoshizawa's confusion at seeing the real Akechi.

He’s without question the best Navigator in the series.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

YaketySass posted:

make Tower the MC's ultimate persona for some real Disaster Dumbass energy

Yoshitsune is indeed Tower

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Commander Keene posted:

I don't think I've ever had a Persona with NO active spells before, but I definitely have designed one to start battles with all the the "Auto-Kaja" skills for every modern Persona game I've played.

Also, is that a new feature for Royal? I don't remember it being in base P5, but I could also just be stupid.

It was in the base game too. I made a similar Arsene as a starter persona and I wouldn’t put in the effort if that wasn’t the case.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The Hawaii trip is peak comedy in Persona 5 and it’s entirely because of Yusuke

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 20, 2021

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Spiffster posted:

Speaking of almighty boost and amp in Royal those are all behind the network fusion right? Gotta prepare for when I get to that point so I want to make sure I’m not wasting time

Those and Magic Ability, which you want on basically any magic persona. Soul Chain as well, but I don’t know how important SP conservation is by the time you get network fusion.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

anakha posted:

Agreed on Magic Ability, but Soul Chain kinda feels pointless once you have Invigorate 2 or 3 learned.

I’m just saying Soul Chain exists, not that it’s worthwhile. Using a skill or accessory slot to save on SP is boring more importantly and I’m glad Royal isn’t as stingy with SP.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

neonchameleon posted:

Not as boring as grabbing cans from the vending machine...

But seriously P5R has at least three sources of SP that aren't in the P5 basegame.
  • If you rank up your Baton Passes the party member being tagged in regains SP (as well as HP and a damage boost for the baton pass attack). This is all part of the Merciless "dancing on a knife's edge" feel - you make mistakes rather than get ground down
  • Will Seeds give you some SP recovery, and there are three of them in the dungeon
  • The new random shop in Mementos sells SP recovery kits that recover SP for the entire party while in safe rooms.

You don't really almost need to grab SP accessories from Death or ludicrous amounts of consumables to one-shot dungeons.

Also Joker has higher SP in general from hanging out with Maruki.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Neo Cadenza is a clown skill

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Pwnstar posted:

I like the way the framing device works that by making friends with Sae in the present, Joker unlocks her Arcana bonus in the past.

He doesn’t though, you level up but you don’t get any fusion exp on Judgment until you reach the present.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sydin posted:

Neo Cadenza is in particular absolutely bonkers broken. It's like a 25 SP skill on a low level persona for a full party buff (and a heal!) when without it the only ways to get a full party buff outside of wasting multiple character's turns stacking are Yusuke's second awakening ultimate (90 SP) or fusing very late game personas that can get pinch anchor and Thermopylae, and even then you need to trigger a baton pass to use it.

For this run I told myself I'd only use the DLC personas if I was level appropriate and could fuse them organically vs the free compendium summon, but even then I had to force myself to shelve Opheus.

Attis can always use Thermopylae with Vitality of the Tree, but Neo Cadenza costs less, heals 50% of the party’s HP, and can be extended with a trait, plus it probably won’t be until October or November you can fuse Attis.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

neonchameleon posted:

And I swear the hardest fight in the game is Madarame's third will seed

Yeah that thing’s yolked to hell

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ugh I screwed myself by not doing enough Temperance before Summer Vacation and couldn't trigger her Request until I got back to school. Truly the worst.

Also I finally got 2 Auto-Ma skills on a Persona, just gotta find Auto-Masu now!

I wonder if Seth is a good Gun Persona, I used him as one in Strikers but I'm not sure if he fits the bill in the mainline game.

Auto-Masukukaja by far the easiest to get via accessory since you can just sell a few old clothes to the shop in Kichijoji to get it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

mmkay posted:

The music really is a banger, I'm up to the 5th Palace and every time I just manually go to the treasure when it's time to steal it, because Life Will Change is amazing.

Has a ways to go to dethrone the king.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

neonchameleon posted:

The thing is I don't think that Akechi is a bad guy was ever intended as a twist even if quite how far he took it was. It was instead the obvious 'twist' that you were meant to spot and pat yourself on the back while never noticing 'Igor' is the real bad guy

Well that and Akechi being a villain is misdirection for the fact that the real twist is that everyone knows he’s the villain and is ready to clown on him.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I was going to say Temperance because Kawakami is great and the French kid who says Hasta La Vista is funny, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the Temperance link was about in 4. Hell I don’t even remember the character.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Imo Royal has by far the best story and character content, change course now

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Wow that looks incredible

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I don’t think Yosuke deserved to get kicked in the dick and balls for breaking the DVD

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Royal also lets you shoot a grappling hook from another zip code and inflict ailments on the enemy so stealth somehow became even more braindead

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Robbie Daymond, Billy Kametz and Laura Post deserve some special mention for how hard they pop off in the third semester.

Akechi is easily the best Navigator bar none.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, we see plenty of the "before" and not enough "after" with the Palace rulers. The plot just kinda forgets about them after their Palace, except for Futaba and Sae. And we do see from Futaba's Confidant that a change of heart doesn't magically fix all of a target's problems, so the idea that a target might not be instantly recalcitrant afterwards is certainly possible.

Also Sae never had her heart stolen so all we have is Futaba to go off of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

YaketySass posted:

I've been waiting for this!