Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

lunar detritus posted:

At least in P4 and P5 it's pretty important to at least try and max out your party members, they get some great combat benefits.
P5 did a good job of making most of the NPC Confidants also have really good perks, like Takemi, Oda (the arcade kid), and Hifumi (the shogi player) especially also have some good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Squiggle posted:

What is it about Japanese jazz that rules so much?

Great OP; Persona 5 Royal is my first Persona game, and it is thick. But I'm loving it. Will I miss anything from P5R if I picked up P4G to play after?
You might miss stuff like Baton Pass, but most of the gameplay improvements from P4G to P5 are fairly minor, IMO. P4G is still good, at least in the gameplay department.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I haven't played much of Royal yet either, but from what I understand they added a passive ability to each Persona in Royal, this is above and beyond the eight skill slots. These abilities are stuff like "Ice spells cost less SP" or something like that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

tithin posted:

I forget what Morganas deal was, Wasn't Morgana never human in the first place? A shadow like teddy?
Close. He was a cognitive being created by Lavenza to look for humans capable of fighting Yaldabaoth.

ApplesandOranges posted:

But that's a personal take. I think it would go over easier if Ann actually addressed it in any capacity, but she mostly ignores it and lets Morgana do his thing, in a kinda 'my kid cousin has a crush, that's cute but nothing worth worrying about' way.
Honestly, that's what kind of made it less creepy for me, the fact that Ann never said or did anything about it. It didn't bother her at all, so there wasn't much of a point in worrying about it. On the other hand, Yusuke and the gang came off kinda bad when they were trying to get her to pose nude (or lie about it) and she clearly wasn't into any of it but they browbeat her into it anyways.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah Teddie wasn't really annoying in P4G (though he was hands down the worst character in PQ), but Morgana was the face of the game's annoying "you're arbitrarily tired and can't do your night Confidants, go to bed" and that more than anything annoyed me about him.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hot take: Koromaru was just boring in P3. Like aside from his introduction I don't remember a single interaction with him.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ah yes, he did save you from the obviously evil dorm supervisor. That's one point in his favor.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

lunar detritus posted:

That reminds me, what's worse, rejecting Haru or the harem valentine scene in P4?
Yukiko's "I have to go now and cry about something else" in P4 was pretty strong too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

By that point, Teddie was just this weird blond kid who liked wearing a bear costume.

I mean, the idea that Yosuke just showed up one day after school with this kid and said, "hey, he followed me home, can I keep him?" and his parents just kinda rolled with it is weird, but at least he didn't bring home a haunted bear suit that walked and talked by itself.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Naoto gets Mind Charge from her Social Link in Golden, not natively from leveling. She can also get all 3 levels of Invigorate from it, which is great for SP management.

And then she was broken in Persona Q.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Harrow posted:

Hell yeah!

Honestly not much really does what Persona does, at least for me. There are plenty of other JRPGs I love, but Persona's definitely its own unique beast, especially post-Persona 3.

I wonder how many other people discovered Persona through Joker being in Smash.
Reminds me of discovering Fire Emblem through Melee.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Acerbatus posted:

I think the SMT if protag is in p2, if that counts. Can't recall offhand though.
She's in both P1 and P2, at least Innocent Sin, IIRC. She's apparently inspired by an idol that the main writer, Satomi Tsdashi, had a crush on, so he wrote her into the plot of the first two Persona games and then had his self-insert date her.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fojar38 posted:

Makoto and Haru are both in college in P5S

And ofc one of the new party members is literally a dad in his 40s
Yeah, but the majority of the cast is still in high school, including Joker, so that may not satisfy the requirement.

Also Persona 2 had adult party members; Innocent Sin had Maya and Yukino, and in Eternal Punishment I think most of the party is adult; at least Maya, Ulala, Katsuya, and Baofu are all adult IIRC. But that game doesn't have the life sim elements like modern Persona.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ryuji's catchphrase is "F'real?" and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:
Guy just really wants a milkshake.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RillAkBea posted:

I only ever play with Japanese voices, though I'm playing the Japanese versions of the games so I don't actually have a choice. As such I'm only judging the English dubs from what I can see on youtube.

Yusuke has this great aloofness in Japanese. You really get the idea that he doesn't know how much of a weirdo he's being. The English voice puts a little too much effort into the enunciation and sort of misses the intonation. He sounds somewhat aloof but in a way that's possibly a little too educated.
I mean, you still get that idea in English. Yusuke is a huge art dork and maybe socialization and awareness of peoples' moods has fallen a bit by the wayside in his efforts to be Master Painter.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Endorph posted:

3) The translation was going to add a Yosuke romance in an attempt to massage Yosuke's deal, but the kibosh was put on it by the Japanese developers.
I don't think it was this, at least. From what I remember of the old Atlus USA forums back in like 2010 or whatever, they had very little power to do anything, let alone add dialogue or subplots to a game. Basically the extent of their "power" in regards to what they did was back when they did a lot of localization and publishing of small-budget JRPGs they could suggest to the Japanese branch that "you know, this game might sell if we localized it" and the execs would consider it.

There's definitely a bunch of people reading too much into a couple of unused dub lines in that case, though. The truth is, we don't know what those lines are there for and while that interpretation may be correct, there's no proof and even if it is true, they were excised from the game for whatever reason, which means they don't really count.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

The first fighting game actually has reasonably good writing, which is why P4AU was such a disappointment even if Junpei/Yukari's new designs were rad.

Junpei turning into a baseball coach for middle school kids and finally moving away from his clunky greatsword fighting style was perfect.
IIRC he wielded his greatsword like it was a baseball bat anyways.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Harrow posted:

That's sort of why I was wondering about Adachi. Namatame clearly does still have a shadow (and never awoke to his version of Izanagi). Did Adachi have to face himself to gain his Izanagi persona, or did it awaken like Yu's, skipping the face-your-shadow part? It'd be interesting if Adachi had to face his shadow to gain Magatsu-Izanagi and managed to do so without a fight. I guess the other possibility is that the ability to straight-up awaken Izanagi without confronting your shadow is an Izanagi thing and not a wild card thing.
Though this doesn't explicitly answer the question, Adachi never enters the TV World before he has to escape capture at the end of the game IIRC.

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought it was coming to the epic games store on the 30th?
Dunno about the epic store, but it's already on steam.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Funky Valentine posted:

Smartphone adoption was slower in Japan than it was in the states from what I understand.

Now, the fact that the internet doesn't seem to exist in P4 outside of Yukiko googling Rise...
Specifically it's that the modern ubiquitous smartphone design (flat w/touchscreen) took longer to catch on IIRC, they had smartphones with clamshell designs over there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Arist posted:

Well and then there's ones that are just complete wastes of time like Fortune. Actually, maybe Fortune was good! Impossible to know, no one has ever gotten it past Rank 2. I dare you to tell me his name without looking it up.
Fortune in P3 is Keisuke. :smuggo: I only remember that because they reused the name in Devil Survivor

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC the True Ending is the same as the Golden ending, just without the "Yu comes back to Inaba" scene.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah I played P5R semi-optimally (since I'd played P5, I knew about some time-saving tips and minmaxing) but I didn't religiously follow a guide and I had way too much free time at the end.

Also it's funny that despite all the different opinions I've seen about P5(R), the almost universal one I've seen is 'Ohya is terrible'. I don't know if it's because of her link, the fact that there's this gap early on in her SL where you pretty much have to hang out with her multiple times or choke up yen for fortune telling, or her terrible Confidant bonuses but... I don't think I've seen a single fan of hers. At bet they're kinda neutral, maybe.
Ohya's one of the ones I didn't finish in my playthrough, but it kinda just seems like she's... there. The Confidant isn't very interesting, the mechanical bonuses are underwhelming (I don't think I ever used any of her perks at all), and the point requirements lead to a lot of hanging out. Like the most interesting thing about her are her sharing a VA and some superficial design bits with Yukiko.

Harrow posted:

I'm kind of curious: did anyone actually have trouble with the alert levels in Persona 5, vanilla or Royal? I always found that the stealth was simple enough, and the default levels of alert reduction on ambushing an enemy were generous enough, that I never once had to actually think about the alert level while exploring Palaces. That alone makes whatever they tried to do with Ohya's abilities just kinda :shrug:. It's help managing a system that I never had to think about in the first place.
Yeah, maybe if she could directly manipulate Shadow spawns or something her perks would be more interesting, but she's mechanically the least interesting of the P5 Confidants. Everyone else (even Mishima) has better Confidant perks.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Harrow posted:

Picture of me right now after mousing over that spoiler: :rip:
Man, I'm about as old as you. I had already been out of high school for a few years when P3 came out, and was in my mid-30s by the time P5 came out.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There are still _3_ more dungeons to go before you hit the end of vanilla P5. I'd say you're more like 2/3 through the game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And the P3 protagonist can be the most dickish of all of them, though I don't really have context for Futaba's Palace boss because I haven't played Royal yet. Telling your buddy to buy running shoes as a present for his cousin who can't walk? You can do that! Telling a 7-year-old that she's probably responsible for her parents getting divorced? You can do that! You can be incredibly cruel to most of your Social Link buddies, whereas most of Yu's "third option" dialogue choices are just kinda goofy and off-the-wall, and Joker's are kinda snarky but harmless.

Also the optimal path through most of the Social Links in that game involve enabling questionably wise behavior, whereas the more modern protagonists feel like they're helping a little more, even if the actual developments are mostly driven by the character who isn't silent.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC the time to the first dungeon takes a while (like an hour or more) but you get several chances to save during that time, and once Yukiko's in the TV World saving gets a lot easier.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Harrow posted:

I really would love to see the other Velvet Room residents come back, like Belladonna. It was cool how there were actual beings there making the music and helping with fusion.
Now that Igor's likely out of the picture, you may actually get your wish, assuming they don't just make one new character design and have what would have been the assistant character in previous games handle fusion as well. I doubt they'll go back to the characters they've already made, but going forward we may see a bit more of an ensemble cast in the Velvet Room.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Acerbatus posted:

Yeah that's a P5R thing, it happens in dark floors mostly. You can see it with Third Eye active, though just driving around like that sucks.

I really wish Ohya could do rumors to change Mementos like P2 or something.
Yeah, that would have been much better than alert levels, which have almost no effect and are trivial to manage yourself.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Don't you instant kill super weak Shadows in vanilla P5 if you ambush then with the car? I'm pretty sure I remember that happening, but I don't remember if it was a Confidant perk or not.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Harrow posted:

I could be biased against gun kid because his English voice acting is some of the worst in all of P5 and it made me laugh when some random other kid in his confidant actually sounded like a kid and I was like "why didn't they just cast that actor as Shinya"
I just kept hearing Laharl every time Shinya opened his mouth because Barbara Goodson has one voice.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Acerbatus posted:

Reminder to everyone playing Royal to save your compendium personas now and then. Don't be like me and sac your 99 magic Satan only to remember the one you have saved has 60. :suicide:
Strikers will offer to register the Persona if it's higher level than the one you have registered when you fuse. It'll also tell you if you're trying to manually register a lower-level version if you use the "Register All" button in the compendium and offer to only register higher-level Personas and those are things I desperately hope stay in for Persona 6.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

The biggest holdover I hope carries over from Strikers to P6 is how ridiculously easy it is to relearn skills not only for your own Personas but for your party members as well. I know they technically have those systems in P4G and P5, but they take up time and honestly I've never bothered.

Being able to swap in things like Diarahan or Dekaja for Ann as needed is extremely nice.
Hard agree. I don't care much if they don't implement it for the protagonist of P6, because he's got a bananas amount of skill slots and you can always re-buy Personas from the Compendium to get access to old skills. But being able to hot-swap the non-Wild Card PCs' skills at any point allows each party member a bit more versatility and allows them to put more situational skills on their skill lists and not have them be a waste of incredibly limited skill slots.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, I was thinking about this while replaying the vanilla stuff for Royal. The game is really unclear on what exactly happens with Futaba. The Phantom Thieves never steal her Treasure. Instead, she awakens to her Persona inside her own Palace and poo poo goes wild from there. So did she have a real "change of heart?" I assumed not--it seemed like she has a more Persona 4-styled "accept her Shadow and try to grow from there" moment--but the game often acts like she did. It's sorta fuzzy and I don't really get how the internal logic works there.
You could say that the Phantom Thieves are framing Futaba's Awakening as a change of heart due to the fact that that's the context they have for it. None of the others experience a Persona 4-style "confront your Shadow Self" Awakening, they all awaken from being pushed to the breaking point by someone else('s Shadow Self). All they know is that they went into Futaba's Palace and now Futaba's changed, so it must be a change of heart. Also, I always saw it as Futaba herself was the Treasure of Futaba's Palace.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it doesn't really work but i think the idea was that the MIBs reading the fake suicide letter left such an impression on her that she wasn't able to think straight about how suspicious the whole situation was. i guess you could say that the palace was something she was put in by others, and she breaks out of it via Persona Magic but the whole thing is kind of weird and fuzzy and poorly defined
I think it was supposed to be that, with everyone blaming her, due to the fake suicide note, she just started blaming herself. Also, IIRC Wakaba was one of the psychotic break victims (probably the first) so Shido could steal the cognitive psience research and have exclusive access to it and the Metaverse.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The only people who don't know are the cops, apparently.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

Strikers pretty much has the cops being very aware, too.
By the end of base P5 the cops absolutely know; Joker gets caught (on purpose) and also then later turns himself in to act as a witness against Shido or something.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So it's a boxing match?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hopefully not in your eye, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like that Morning Star is his only active spell. He has one job, and just needs to be REALLY GOOD at it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

neonchameleon posted:

I thought building something like that was normal? There's even a treasure demon to encourage it. Also there's an option in the menu so that your starting Persona remains your active one regardless of who you ended the fight as rather than your active remaining the fight ender.
I don't think I've ever had a Persona with NO active spells before, but I definitely have designed one to start battles with all the the "Auto-Kaja" skills for every modern Persona game I've played.

Also, is that a new feature for Royal? I don't remember it being in base P5, but I could also just be stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

infraboy posted:

I ran into a similar thing in this 3rd jail where you can't teleport anywhere or get out but you have a super tanky mofo to fight early on and all my characters were pretty drained.

boss of the 2nd jail I was down to my last character standing fighting with 1/4 boss health left and somehow I beat it by channeling my inner Darksouls. I think it was easier to read what the boss was about to do without the other characters distracting me though.
I noticed that a bit with Alice. There were a couple of runs where I was down to just Joker, and I found that I was dodging much better with only one character to worry about; I knew where all her attacks were going.