Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

ApplesandOranges posted:

As an aside, does anyone know if you’re forced to join the track team at some point? Since there’s a mandatory track event during summer and Kaz is part of some mandatory story scenes like Kenji (who you’re also forced to start a link with).

You are eventually forced to join a sports team if you don't join it when it first opens. I forget exactly when it is, but I think it's sometime around the end of May or early June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Generally speaking the best route to go is to max out Courage first, Charm second, and then Academics last. Not only is that in order of least points needed to most points needed, that's also the order that the links that require maxed stats become available in. (Max courage for Fuuka in June, Max Charm for Yukari in July, and Max Academics for Mitsuru in October which is way more than enough time to max it) You can pretty comfortably dedicate night activities to developing stats, excepting for the occasional night time Link Event, there's really not much else to do at night. The Devil Link always advances one rank regardless of the dialogue choices you make, and you have plenty of spare time to work on the Tower link at your leisure, so they're not big factors.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I do feel Reload errs a little too close to a shot for shot remake with the social links, but I do enjoy the new gameplay elements such as Theurgy and Monad doors. The link events are also a great addition, and I appreciate that the dorm events give more to do at night after you max out your social stats. I never really cared for Strega outside of Chidori so Takaya's extra scenes are whatever. Asking him why he doesn't wear a shirt when given the chance is a real power move though, gotta respect that.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

The rumors about Strega and their appearances before formally engaging the party existed in the original, but the scenes focusing around the MC and Takaya are new to Reload.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Ken was one of my favorite party members in the original already, so it’s nice they buffed him. I will give Yukari this, her Theurgy is extremely easy to spam since it charges a quarter of the way with a single media cast.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

His ability to add an extra multiplier for physical attacks to the entire party is pretty cool, but you have to go all in on that for it to really shine. I didn’t really have SP issues with him but his poor luck stat does make the Mudo line of skills pretty unreliable for him, even when targeting a weakness.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Akihiko was a nice way to keep enemy damage in check before I got Sylphid Aura and Marakukaja, but I’m really struggling to find reasons to use him at the point of the game I’m in. He has really meh damage and poor coverage, so he really doesn’t bring much to the table anymore now that he doesn’t have easy debuff access.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I definitely need to stock up on status cures since I seldom use Yukari and Reload hurls a lot more AOE Fear and Distress statuses your way.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Nothing like having all your Homonculous items deleted from your inventory because the enemy got off an Evil Smile-Ghastly Wail combo.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

This will be the first time playing Persona 3 where my final team won’t be Ken/Junpei/Akihiko. Ken’s still a lock but I’m undecided for my final line up. Aigis got a serious glow up in this version with her multi hit moves and Cruel Attack access, plus Orgia mode just being stronger. If Mitsuru still gets Concentrate I might run her in.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Crit boosts definitely have swing potential but I haven’t gotten to the point where Junpei has those so Aigis is the more appealing striker at the moment. Her buffs and Dekunda access also sweeten the pot. I’m not too concerned about coverage since the MC checks everything in random battles and SP isn’t much of a concern with Oracle, Invigorate, and Soul Spinaches. Plus Junpei’s magic damage is just awful, so he can usually hit harder with resisted physicals than fire magic.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I only just maxed out my social stats, so I’m slowly going through the nightly hang out chains. Don’t currently have any of the abilities provided from those, so it should be interesting once those start coming into play.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I really wish they’d just do leaked experience instead of randomly letting you feed 2 characters 10 level ups. It’s one of the weirder things they’ve done to update the game, I have to say.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Playstyle is probably also a factor. Personally speaking, I usually focus on picking up buffs, healing and general elemental coverage when fusing out Personas for my protagonist. Consequently, flex characters like Akihiko just seem unappealing to me because I get a lot more mileage out of fielding people who are good at making big numbers appear like Junpei, Aigis and Shinji. Okay I realize the last one has an ephemeral impact on the game as a whole, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

The early game tower bosses have been massively toned down from the original game, so I didn't have any issue clearing out Block One on the first go. I barely clutched out a first try victory on the High Priestess Full Moon Shadow though, I got the killing blow on literally the last second I could have and only because I got a lucky crit.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It's far from necessary, but it is fun to see how far you can push your team to go in a single trip in the early game. It was extremely easy to do in P3 Portable since they massively toned down the fatigue system and fully healing your party only cost a small chunk of the millions of yen you got from exploring Tartarus instead of the much more limited Twlight Fragments.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I think Aigis is much more usable in this version, but Junpei definitely gives her some rough competition. I do love Cruel Attack for Tower Bosses and tough enemies, it way out damages all out attacks with buffs in play. She does have Dekunda and picks up Marakukaja pretty early, so she has some use as a supporter in the mid game.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I made the terrible mistake of doing a refresher playthrough of the original before trying 5R. The changes and extra content were whatever but the difficulty was so heavily reduced that I got bored and bounced on it halfway through.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Yeah I sincerely doubt Theurgies have similar damage multipliers to Dyne spells. I can safely say Mitsuru’s Theurgy will hit harder than Bufudyne with Ice Boost and Single Target Boost since I have a Black Frost with those skills and she’ll still beat out that damage in the same circumstances.

Seconding for Junpei. While I think he was a strong character in the context of the whole original game, he has a much stronger early game in Reload. I’m also hearing reassuring things about Koromaru, Debilitate is a huge get for him, especially since Akihiko can no longer debuff bot. And of course, how can we forget that Fuuka has more helpful abilities past scanning that don’t have a random chance to kill your team? Being able to premeptivley Marakukaja and Masukukaja your entire team in particular is really nice.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 22, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Given Koromaru’s second Theurgy, I imagine he’s best used on physical focused compositions for boss fights. Set your Matarukaja, Howl up the party and mix in any other multipliers you can, and unload with everyone else’s Theurgy.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I've never really been bothered with my MC being moved into a supportive role, because even if he does have high potential as an attacker, he has equally good ability as a supporter. You can pick up Sarasvati and slap Divine Grace onto her far sooner than Yukari gets Mediarama or Ken joins, and that's the best healing in the game until the Diarahan spells show up. Plus with defensive buffs in play and high durability characters in a battle, there's less pressure to be healing constantly compared to having squishier members like Yukari, Ken and Mitsuru on the front lines.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Black Frost is phenomenal in this game, super early access to tier 3 magic, naturally patches out his weakness with enough levels, and skill cards give you a ton of options to fine tune him. Plus he’s a component for a really strong Theurgy so he’s good to pick up for that too.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Weirdly I’ve never had issues with Mitsuru doing status spam in FES, I found that several of the tactics options disuaded her from using it. I don’t really think she was that great regardless since she didn’t have much in the way of team support and her damage with Concentrated Bufudynes wasn’t much better than having Junpei just toss out his best physical attacks every turn.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It’s been forever since I played FES, but if I remember right Healing/Support would have her go full Dia-bot, Knock Down would either have her go ice weaknesses or fish for melee crits, and the name that alludes me is the aggressive tactic that would see her do nothing but hurl out Bufula/dyne.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I’ve always found the effects of stats in the Persona games to only really matter up to a point. Like being below a certain threshold causes your damage to drop off a ton, but being over it doesn’t matter that much. So in theory you could just slide enough incenses to get his MA to what Yukari or Mitsuru have naturally and get an uber fire attack out of the deal.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I usually drop elemental AOE's on my party members if I have the option because the MC can simply hit way harder with them in the situations you'd want them. Especially with the addition of the Shift mechanic, it's easy to pass actions around and spread out SP usage. I especially wish I had that option in the PS2 versions since originally Once More only activated off of AOE if it struck the weakness of every enemy, so they could often be detrimental to use.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I have to say, I'm disappointed that they opted to use 3D full motion video for a lot of the more dramatic scenes in Reload that were 2D anime cutscenes in the PS2 versions of Persona 3. The art could definitely be rough in the older versions, and it's not like the new scenes look bad by any means, but the anime scenes during the dark hour were stylized in a way that just looked so much better and hit way harder. Also RIP to Yukari's mullet.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Depends on your preference really, but if consistency is what you're about then Getsu-ei is probably the better move. I've noticed that Multi-hit moves are all-or-nothing when it comes to critical hits in this game, so it's not like Tempest Slash has crit fishing as an advantage.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

In the grand tradition of Persona re-releases, Reload is much easier than the PS2 games. I was playing FES recently and got folded on floor 1 of Tartarus due to an ambush and the tower bosses require way more effort to take down.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

A handful of links probably could have used a rewrite for Reload, but the Hanged Man link especially comes across as weird for several reasons.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Teen fantasy and cultural differences in how such relationships are interpreted mostly.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

David Lee Roth approves.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I didn’t really get the appeal of Persona 3 over 4 until I played FES, which made me appreciate the game a lot more. My first experience with it was Persona 3 Portable which I always felt just played like a watered down Persona 4 with worse presentation for the story.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Also an important thing to note for your specific inquiry, the type of resultant persona will always be the same when fusing two specific types together. So say you fuse a Fool and a Magician together, that will always result in a Death Persona. Be sure to take note of what results in what when looking for specific types, though the fusion search option makes things a lot easier and you should use it to simplify the process. Most guides out there have fusion charts in them if you want to know what you need to smash together.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Maybe it's just a matter of what your first exposure to an actor is, but Akihiko is certainly one of the first characters I think of when I think about Liam O'Brien performances.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

One of the voices I miss the most is Dan Woren as Igor, I think his performance for the character is perfect. Gets that right tone for slightly ethereal and unnerving but you can tell he means well.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

If she was actually a party member, Marie might have gone over better. As it is she just feels really shoe horned in and her existence and bearing on the plot as a whole feels very disconnected from the actual story. Also her dungeon is boring.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

On the other hand, party members not having social links with the main character does mean they get to go through arcs that don't require you to be standing off to the side awkwardly and be their designated vent companion. In general I find the interactions Akihiko, Shinji, and Junpei have independent of the team to be some of the more interesting plot beats of Persona 3, and I don't think Akihiko's reaction to Shinji's death would hit quite as hard if he was directing his words to the MC rather than essentially shouting to the heavens.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

The cafe job is a good way to develop stats and pad out your wallet early on, but once Charm and Courage are maxed there's no reason to ever use it again. Honestly the money itself falls off hard after the first month since Tartarus gives such good payouts most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

The closest was that shuffle time used to be an actual card shuffling mini game, and there was the double up mechanic.